Author Topic: Any networking gurus? I need some help.  (Read 15443 times)

Offline XOIIOTopic starter

• Super Contributor
Any networking gurus? I need some help.
« on: June 28, 2014, 07:27:18 am »
Copied this from my tomshardware post as that place seems a little slow. hardware wise and software wise with computers I'm pretty well set off but I haven't delved much into networking, and this is one thing that is proving troublesome.

"Hey all, something which has plagued me for a long time, I have an hp proliant dl380, a sexy little quad core xeon blade server, with a wireless card in it, and two LAN ports built into the motherboard.

I also have an old AXIS 2401+ video server and a couple old CCTV cameras, and want to use one to monitor where my server is stored.

The problem lies that the only way to get to the network from my garage is wireless, and the video server will have to be in the garage with the actual server.

When connected to the main router I can (or was able to, it's been a while) get the video server page and a camera feed no problem, but when using it directly with the computer I can not access it.

I have tried direct ethernet connection, and also going through a hub (with the hub using the computer as WAN source, and using the video server as WAN source), and tried all methods bridging my wireless and wired networks, and can't get the dang thing to work.

What can I do?

edit: after a bit more fiddling I got the router working, changed it's IP over, thanfully it let me so it's alongside wireless just fine now, now I just need to get the video server to show up, I have tried it plugged in as WAN source, and alongside the server on another port, this router doesn't seem to have a device list though so trying to figure out how I can find it's IP

Basically I want to be able to forward this page or something, maybe using xampp or some other web hosting stuff.  (which I can figure out"

The router I have is pretty old, I have what I think is a newer one, I'm going to crack it open and wire in a power supply with a 5 volt regulator and try that, I am going to be up all night so I might just drive on over lol.

Just wondering if anyone here has any ideas? The only thing I can think of is using a wireless router with DDWRT to act as a rebroadcasting station and maybe that will allow me to hook in with Ethernet so it shows as on the main network but I don't think that will work, and I don't have any wireless routers. as you can probably tell I'm throwing this together with scrap stuff XD

edit: yeah, this linkysys nr041 is at least 3 years newer, and has an uplink mode, maybe that will help *shrugs*
« Last Edit: June 28, 2014, 07:29:15 am by XOIIO »

• Super Contributor
Re: Any networking gurus? I need some help.
« Reply #1 on: June 28, 2014, 08:20:29 am »
Well none of my wall warts could provide 700ma, so I found this small power supply, it throws out 12v at 1 amp, and 5v at 1.5 amps, and funnily enough it's from an old fairly large (I think 64 port) Ethernet hub, I have a couple though one is mysteriously dead, but I've got it ghetto rigged up so it's all set to go lol, just need to test it out whenever I feel like heading out.

Offline Codemonkey

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #2 on: June 28, 2014, 08:43:30 am »
I hope you put something thick and insulating under that PCB. That looks seriously dangerous. You have rectified mains voltage on the back of that power supply board taped to a metal box!

Seriously, put the power supply in an insulated box before you kill yourself.  :palm:

Online Psi

• Super Contributor
« Reply #3 on: June 28, 2014, 08:44:14 am »
Who needs earth wires.
Greek letter 'Psi' (not Pounds per Square Inch)

• Super Contributor
« Reply #4 on: June 28, 2014, 09:24:37 am »
I hope you put something thick and insulating under that PCB. That looks seriously dangerous. You have rectified mains voltage on the back of that power supply board taped to a metal box!

Seriously, put the power supply in an insulated box before you kill yourself.  :palm:

It's insulated, I seriously doubt anyone on these forums would tape a bare circuit board to a metal box, I'm offended that you think I would.

Anyways, it seems that the Ethernet cord I have is either defective, or more likely a crossover cable, and I can't find another one  :-\

Offline HackedFridgeMagnet

• Super Contributor
« Reply #5 on: June 28, 2014, 09:43:09 am »
I worked on a system that used pairs of DDWRT bridges.
We had to do a fiddle to get the bridges working though.

Everything had to use DHCP. This was not because we couldn't figure out what address to use but because it helped the DDWRT routers setup their ARP tables.

We then had to set the DHCP server to give the some bits of equipment fixed leases on their IP Addresses. This was so important IP addresses didn't float around.

• Super Contributor
« Reply #6 on: June 28, 2014, 12:20:11 pm »
Found another cable, went back, swapped the ones between the server and the axis box, and it works! (also used the first router, as the axis box wasn't getting an IP on the ghetto one) I have video! (recorded a video to upload about it but figured eh, whats the point).

Anyways now I just need to fix the loose BNC from someone yanking the cord on the cam, and I also need to figure out a bit more networking stuff, whenever I have LAN plugged in the computer uses that as it's main network, however I want the wireless to be the main one so that it can access the internet and have LAN purely for the video camera, I'm still trying to figure out how to do that.

edit: fixed the camera, the metal frame was frickin bent the cord was pulled so hard and the BNC retaining ring that the clip slid into had broken off, I'm amazed I got video out of it.

No BNC's around so I used the gen lock one, and worked like heck to bend the frame and get it to fit in. Still a bit crooked but it should work fine now, never going to need gen lock anyways. Camera is a Panasonic Super Dynamic wv-cp450
« Last Edit: June 28, 2014, 12:44:11 pm by XOIIO »

Offline nihilism

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #7 on: June 28, 2014, 12:43:56 pm »
Electrical safety obviously is not a priority in Canada.

Online nctnico

• Super Contributor
    • NCT Developments
« Reply #8 on: June 28, 2014, 01:44:55 pm »

It's insulated, I seriously doubt anyone on these forums would tape a bare circuit board to a metal box, I'm offended that you think I would.
Still the tape you use is not enough by far. The word inadequate doesn't even cover it. With this setup you really are asking to receive a Darwin award.
There are small lies, big lies and then there is what is on the screen of your oscilloscope.

• Super Contributor
« Reply #9 on: June 28, 2014, 01:49:39 pm »

Still the tape you use is not enough by far. The word inadequate doesn't even cover it. With this setup you really are asking to receive a Darwin award.

I think three layers of electrical tape is plenty for a short term solution.

Offline Monkeh

• Super Contributor
« Reply #10 on: June 28, 2014, 01:52:22 pm »

I think you're nuts. Put something solid in there. A piece of scrap plastic, some fibreglass, even a bit of old breadboard (and I mean BREAD board, as in kitchen).

• Super Contributor
« Reply #11 on: June 28, 2014, 01:55:47 pm »

I think you're nuts. Put something solid in there. A piece of scrap plastic, some fibreglass, even a bit of old breadboard (and I mean BREAD board, as in kitchen).

Once again, temporary, had it running a couple hours, maximum to see if that router would work the way I needed it. Three layers of tape, no excessively sharp leads or solder joints, and minimal pressure pulling the board down. It did not, it is no longer in service.
« Last Edit: June 28, 2014, 02:01:18 pm by XOIIO »

Online madires

• Super Contributor
  • A qualified hobbyist ;)
« Reply #12 on: June 28, 2014, 02:03:03 pm »
Anyways now I just need to fix the loose BNC from someone yanking the cord on the cam, and I also need to figure out a bit more networking stuff, whenever I have LAN plugged in the computer uses that as it's main network, however I want the wireless to be the main one so that it can access the internet and have LAN purely for the video camera, I'm still trying to figure out how to do that.

I assume that you're running DHCP on your router. That's also the default setting for your computer. If you connect any of your computer's network interfaces to the LAN the OS will try to get an IP address (plus GW, DNS) via DHCP. Connect another interface and it will get another address. It might be possible that the GW of the new interface will overwrite the former one or that you end with multiple gateway addresses. Either disable the ethernet interface if you prefer WLAN or set some fixed IP address.

Your first post is a little bit unclear about how you connected the servers in the garage to your LAN. Have you tried to use another WLAN router as WLAN client for the video server and used the internal WLAN card of the other server? As usual a diagram would have been helpful ;) 

• Super Contributor
« Reply #13 on: June 28, 2014, 02:10:58 pm »

I assume that you're running DHCP on your router. That's also the default setting for your computer. If you connect any of your computer's network interfaces to the LAN the OS will try to get an IP address (plus GW, DNS) via DHCP. Connect another interface and it will get another address. It might be possible that the GW of the new interface will overwrite the former one or that you end with multiple gateway addresses. Either disable the ethernet interface if you prefer WLAN or set some fixed IP address.

Your first post is a little bit unclear about how you connected the servers in the garage to your LAN. Have you tried to use another WLAN router as WLAN client for the video server and used the internal WLAN card of the other server? As usual a diagram would have been helpful ;)

I should get a graphical network mapping tool or something, can't recall what it is but theres a good one.

Alright, so my blade server is the main thing, the PC where everything is happening, it is connected via wireless to the home router.

The axis video server is a standalone box, no operating system or anything, just a video input/output, Ethernet, and terminal blocks for power and camera controls.

I have the dlink hub set up, with (when connected) both the blade server and the video server box just plugged into a couple ports, nothing on the internet port.

The default IP is different, so the wireless router is set to 192.168.0.1 and the hub that I access the video server through is 192.168.1.1, no IP conflicts due to this so that works fine, and if I put in the IP address for it, I can get to it no problem, get the video page and feed.

I'm going to try and find a good tool to make a diagram, easier than text. I do believe that it is prioritizing LAN, however in the advanced adapter settings wireless is set as the first but I think it may change when I have wired plugged in, I have to check.

I have also found a post about changing the adapter metric, but I think I need to reinstall the drivers as it gives me an error when trying to access the internet protocol 4 properties to change this. I'll have to check both of these out when I go there next.

Online madires

• Super Contributor
« Reply #14 on: June 28, 2014, 02:12:42 pm »
I worked on a system that used pairs of DDWRT bridges.
We had to do a fiddle to get the bridges working though.

Bridging two LANs via WLAN with consumer access points is a lot of fun ;) For OpenWrt the best method is to setup a WDS AP and a WDS client AP. I think that should also work for ddwrt, since both are linux based and face the same bridging issue. Some WLAN chipsets allow the required bridging to be done inside the chip but it has also to be supported by the driver.

Online madires

• Super Contributor
« Reply #15 on: June 28, 2014, 02:24:12 pm »
The default IP is different, so the wireless router is set to 192.168.0.1 and the hub that I access the video server through is 192.168.1.1, no IP conflicts due to this so that works fine, and if I put in the IP address for it, I can get to it no problem, get the video page and feed.

I see. The simple solution is to give your main router a second LAN address (from 192.168.1.0/24). BTW, hubs don't have IP addresses ;)

• Super Contributor
« Reply #16 on: June 28, 2014, 02:36:28 pm »

I see. The simple solution is to give your main router a second LAN address (from 192.168.1.0/24). BTW, hubs don't have IP addresses ;)

It is a router, I just slipped up, this doesn't work with hubs, not sure if that affects your answer or not, but I'm not quite sure how that would help.

• Super Contributor
« Reply #17 on: June 28, 2014, 02:44:33 pm »
This is the network setup.

Offline Monkeh

• Super Contributor
« Reply #18 on: June 28, 2014, 02:50:37 pm »
No, that's a simplification which misses out all the important parts: The wireless.

• Super Contributor
« Reply #19 on: June 28, 2014, 02:53:06 pm »
No, that's a simplification which misses out all the important parts: The wireless.

It's a wireless connection, what more do you want? that's not where the issue lies. The issue is using that as the primary connection while having the wired router plugged in.

This is exactly how it's set up anyways, aside from another computer on wireless which doesn't matter. Wireless to server, second router directly wired up.
« Last Edit: June 28, 2014, 02:54:47 pm by XOIIO »

Offline Monkeh

• Super Contributor
« Reply #20 on: June 28, 2014, 02:54:51 pm »

It's a wireless connection, what more do you want? that's not where the issue lies. The issue is using that as the primary connection while having the wired router plugged in.

It will cause you issues if you want to access anything on the other side of that Blade from your home network.

As far as the primary connection stuff goes, well, it might, just a little bit, help if you tell us what OS you're using.

• Super Contributor
« Reply #21 on: June 28, 2014, 02:55:25 pm »

It will cause you issues if you want to access anything on the other side of that Blade from your home network.

As far as the primary connection stuff goes, well, it might, just a little bit, help if you tell us what OS you're using.

Windows server 2008 R2 (edit): though I don't imagine it will have any special tools or services relating to this that regular old windows 7 wouldn't, never say anything relating to this type of networking when choosing services to install.
« Last Edit: June 28, 2014, 02:57:18 pm by XOIIO »

Offline abaxas

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #22 on: June 28, 2014, 02:56:09 pm »
Just to get this right.

The blade server is connected to the home network via wireless and the dlink router via cable?

So basically you have two different networks with no connection between them.

Offline at2marty

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #23 on: June 28, 2014, 04:02:06 pm »
Just to get this right.

The blade server is connected to the home network via wireless and the dlink router via cable?

So basically you have two different networks with no connection between them.
That's my suspicion as well.  The blade server in this scenario needs to be configured to allow requests from the home network to/from the video server.

• Super Contributor
« Reply #24 on: June 28, 2014, 04:03:02 pm »
YESSSS!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Plugged it in, manually defined metrics, and I can now (and currrently am) use the internet and have my video working! WHOOO!!!

It just needed a little help to know which network to try first :)

Now I just need to forward the IP from the sub network, through my server, to the main network and then allow it to go through the router firewall. I might be able to use xampp/apache the same way I did my dayz server. We'll see.
« Last Edit: June 28, 2014, 04:09:40 pm by XOIIO »

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf