Author Topic: Any networking gurus? I need some help.  (Read 15453 times)

Offline XOIIOTopic starter

• Super Contributor
Re: Any networking gurus? I need some help.
« Reply #25 on: June 28, 2014, 05:13:44 pm »
Alright, so this is the network so far.

The green lines are able to be directly accessed from the internet through the main router (With the ip range of 192.168.0.x) The blue is the router and subnet of 192.160.6.x, and only accessible from the server. What I want to do is forward the video server through the subnet router, to the main router, and then forward that to the internet, represented by the red line. How I can do this however, is tricky, since the main router can not see the secondary router. and thus can not forward it or any of it's IP's to the internet.
« Last Edit: June 28, 2014, 05:25:52 pm by XOIIO »

Offline at2marty

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #26 on: June 28, 2014, 05:33:18 pm »
O.K. I'll try to decipher exactly what you are trying to accomplish.

Essentially, you want to expose your video server to the internet, is that correct?

You also want to be able to access your video server from your home network, is that correct?

What you want is a DMZ (google it).

Keep in mind and be aware, exposing a computer on your home network to the internet is not the smartest thing in the world to do, especially if you are exposing it with common ports wide open (http port 80 as an example).  You really need to know what you are doing, which it sounds like you don't.

I will tell you this.  Expose an improperly configured web server without proper safeguards and protection to the internet, and I estimate that you will be lucky of you don't have some kind of intrusion or attempt within 5 minutes.

• Super Contributor
« Reply #27 on: June 28, 2014, 05:42:00 pm »
O.K. I'll try to decipher exactly what you are trying to accomplish.

Essentially, you want to expose your video server to the internet, is that correct?

You also want to be able to access your video server from your home network, is that correct?

What you want is a DMZ (google it).

Keep in mind and be aware, exposing a computer on your home network to the internet is not the smartest thing in the world to do, especially if you are exposing it with common ports wide open (http port 80 as an example).  You really need to know what you are doing, which it sounds like you don't.

I will tell you this.  Expose an improperly configured web server without proper safeguards and protection to the internet, and I estimate that you will be lucky of you don't have some kind of intrusion or attempt within 5 minutes.

I will only be allowing the ports it needs through (though I am unsure what ports it does use, don't think it's available in the documentation), I have decent experience port forwarding a few different things from my main server without any issue, and those are somewhat obscure ports, I would just need to chose another obscure one for the video server I imagine. I can do that no problem but you are right, I don't really know what to do to accomplish this with this network setup.

Accessing the video from the home network is not as important as I do not live there anymore, but it is probably a step along the way to being able to access it from the web.

Offline at2marty

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #28 on: June 28, 2014, 06:12:47 pm »
What specific OS is the video server running and what specific program?

What specific OS is your other server running?

Ideally, you want to remove the "main server" from where it's at, and install a computer to act as a firewall.  If it was me, it would be a Linux computer with two network cards.  You also want to ditch the second router and install a switch.

• Super Contributor
« Reply #29 on: June 28, 2014, 06:20:55 pm »
What specific OS is the video server running and what specific program?

What specific OS is your other server running?

Ideally, you want to remove the "main server" from where it's at, and install a computer to act as a firewall.  If it was me, it would be a Linux computer with two network cards.  You also want to ditch the second router and install a switch.

Main server is windows server 2008 r2, the video server is not an actual computer, like I said, it is a small dedicated box that just has a web page with the video feed on it. I need the second router because the only internet access in the garage is through wireless.

Offline Monkeh

• Super Contributor
« Reply #30 on: June 28, 2014, 07:01:59 pm »
I need the second router because the only internet access in the garage is through wireless.

You don't need a router for that.

Offline miguelvp

• Super Contributor
« Reply #31 on: June 28, 2014, 07:24:49 pm »
I need the second router because the only internet access in the garage is through wireless.

A couple of powerline networking adapters like the XET1001 and a switch will make your life way easier :)

• Super Contributor
« Reply #32 on: June 28, 2014, 07:43:04 pm »

In this case I do, since the video server needs to acquire an IP address to work, directly hooking it up did not work.

A couple of powerline networking adapters like the XET1001 and a switch will make your life way easier :)

I have a couple but unfortunately the garage is on a different circuit, and they don't work. Believe me I wish they did, would be a stable connection at least lol.

edit: just bridged the connections on the server, and the ip address is showing up under the main router, so I think it might be working!

edit2: damn, since doing that I can't get into the video server page. hrmmm It also says that IP is invalid for port range forwarding, I'll try changing the subnet for the dlink router.
« Last Edit: June 28, 2014, 07:52:08 pm by XOIIO »

Offline Monkeh

• Super Contributor
« Reply #33 on: June 28, 2014, 07:46:19 pm »

In this case I do, since the video server needs to acquire an IP address to work, directly hooking it up did not work.

And what's wrong with the router on the other side of the wireless?

Offline jlmoon

• Supporter
  • If you fail the first time, keep trying!
« Reply #34 on: June 28, 2014, 07:47:06 pm »
Anything with a IP address in the public network is hackable, if that video server has a web service protocol it will only be a mater of time before it will be discovered.  Looks like you only need one subnet with a sonic firewall, dmz's and some understanding on how to apply subnetting with /0, /128 or smaller.
« Last Edit: June 28, 2014, 07:52:22 pm by jlmoon »
Recharged Volt-Nut

• Super Contributor
« Reply #35 on: June 28, 2014, 07:58:12 pm »

And what's wrong with the router on the other side of the wireless?

It's not where the camera needs to physically be.

Offline Monkeh

• Super Contributor
« Reply #36 on: June 28, 2014, 08:09:49 pm »

And that matters.. why? Bridge the wireless to wired. You'll need WDS.

• Super Contributor
« Reply #37 on: June 28, 2014, 08:11:55 pm »

That's what this whole thread is about, I've gotten to bridging, I am just working on getting the forwarding now.

Side note: found a zoomable lens (only manual) from an black and white camera, but still has active iris, and works a treat, will be nice to have a bit of a closer view.

Offline Monkeh

• Super Contributor
« Reply #38 on: June 28, 2014, 08:12:44 pm »

That's what this whole thread is about, I've gotten to bridging, I am just working on getting the forwarding now.

If it were properly bridged it'd just be working!

Get an actual wireless bridge or an OpenWRT supported AP or router.

• Super Contributor
« Reply #39 on: June 28, 2014, 08:18:49 pm »

If it were properly bridged it'd just be working!

Get an actual wireless bridge or an OpenWRT supported AP or router.

Except those are not options. I have the server, the household router, the secondary router and the video server, that's it. That is all the equipment I have, that is all the equipment I can get.

If I bridge them using windows with a different subnet mask, I lose internet access though windows says  have it, if I use the same subnet mask, I can access both. but internet is brought to a crawl, and I can't forward the IP properly.
« Last Edit: June 28, 2014, 08:21:53 pm by XOIIO »

• Super Contributor
« Reply #40 on: June 28, 2014, 08:52:32 pm »
Found options hidden away in the video server so I was able to manually define the port it uses (and also change video size, which may be really nice, hard to see quality over remote desktop), anyways I think if I bridge connections now forwarding might work, going to give it a try and hopefully I can still connect to the computer.

Offline madires

• Super Contributor
  • A qualified hobbyist ;)
« Reply #41 on: June 28, 2014, 08:58:23 pm »
I think the main problem is the way the garage's network is connected to the main router. I that right, that the garage is connected to the main router via the server's WLAN card and that the second router and the video box are connected to the server? And the server is bridging the LAN to the WLAN or does it route the traffic? A simple design would be to connect the second router to the main router and to place the server and the video box behind the second router. Using a Windows server as router or firewall is a bad idea.

• Super Contributor
« Reply #42 on: June 28, 2014, 09:04:37 pm »
I think the main problem is the way the garage's network is connected to the main router. I that right, that the garage is connected to the main router via the server's WLAN card and that the second router and the video box are connected to the server? And the server is bridging the LAN to the WLAN or does it route the traffic? A simple design would be to connect the second router to the main router and to place the server and the video box behind the second router. Using a Windows server as router or firewall is a bad idea.

Yes, you have it correct, I am trying to get the server to route traffic from the second router to the main one, I am getting close to that. I think I just need to find the main routers external IP (I was able to do that with an old SaskTel one but now we have a cisco one, which barely loads the page half the time) and it should be all set. I bridged connections and I think it took down the internet for that computer, possibly not, but I'm not sure what IP to try with the port I set to access the video server.

Unfortunately I can't connect the second router to the main one was it does not have wireless, so I couldn't use DDWRT to do that.

Offline madires

• Super Contributor
« Reply #43 on: June 28, 2014, 09:38:58 pm »
Unfortunately I can't connect the second router to the main one was it does not have wireless, so I couldn't use DDWRT to do that.

If I had to choose between buying an inexpensive access point or spending some time to setup a Windows Server as a router, the decision would be a no-brainer ;) Have you enabled  RRAS on the server?

• Super Contributor
« Reply #44 on: June 28, 2014, 09:50:05 pm »

If I had to choose between buying an inexpensive access point or spending some time to setup a Windows Server as a router, the decision would be a no-brainer ;) Have you enabled  RRAS on the server?

Not sure, I doubt it but I will give that a try next time I'm there, won't be too long since I'm moving and using the garage as storage.

Here's a video on the server setup, it's a bit old, and I think I made a mistake thinking the two 3.2ghz xeons stacked to 6.4, can't recall lol. I also sold the tower style server, and the batteries on the UPSes finally died off completely.

That dell machine is also out of the picture.

Be warned, shaky video, took this a long time ago before I started watching youtubers.
« Last Edit: June 28, 2014, 09:54:50 pm by XOIIO »

Offline Tinkerer

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #45 on: June 28, 2014, 11:03:50 pm »

Not sure, I doubt it but I will give that a try next time I'm there, won't be too long since I'm moving and using the garage as storage.

Here's a video on the server setup, it's a bit old, and I think I made a mistake thinking the two 3.2ghz xeons stacked to 6.4, can't recall lol. I also sold the tower style server, and the batteries on the UPSes finally died off completely.

Be warned, shaky video, took this a long time ago before I started watching youtubers.

If only stacking processors like that were as easy.

• Super Contributor
« Reply #46 on: June 29, 2014, 08:41:41 am »

If only stacking processors like that were as easy.

Yeah lol, would be nice XD

Offline madires

• Super Contributor
« Reply #47 on: June 29, 2014, 11:56:58 am »
Have you enabled  RRAS on the server?

Before that, please read http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/dd458979.aspx to get an idea about RRAS. And if you feel the sudden urge to get an access point, don't hesitate  ;D

• Super Contributor
« Reply #48 on: June 29, 2014, 12:26:54 pm »
Have you enabled  RRAS on the server?

Before that, please read http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/dd458979.aspx to get an idea about RRAS. And if you feel the sudden urge to get an access point, don't hesitate  ;D

Alright, hopefully it's not too complex lol, I feel like I'm super close, I can forward the IP of the video server, I just don't have a way to find out it's external IP since it doesn't have an operating system, can you think of anything?

Offline HackedFridgeMagnet

• Super Contributor
« Reply #49 on: June 29, 2014, 12:58:20 pm »
Have a look at the bottom right hand corner of your last post.

Or am I missing something?

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf