Author Topic: Any place for a kid in an electronics job?  (Read 15963 times)

Offline eas

• Frequent Contributor
    • Tech Obsessed
Re: Any place for a kid in an electronics job?
« Reply #50 on: May 01, 2015, 07:37:24 pm »
I'm guessing that, even before stuff needs repair, the lab-med guy also needs help doing basic checks on equipment to prepare it for sale. You might see about helping with that too.

He's surely making a cost/benefit decision on how much time to spend on each item, to figure out whether its working as expected, and how to describe it in the listing. If you can convince him that you can add value over doing what he's doing now, that he'll be able to pay you and make a higher profit, you can probably convince him to pay you enough for it to be worth your while.

Offline JackPTopic starter

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #51 on: May 01, 2015, 09:37:05 pm »
I did mention that in my follow up message, saying I could run basic test for functionality. Unfortunately a fair chunk of his gear is very medical specific, and there isn't much to test for besides voltages etc. (I'm hoping if this does work out I'll learn a bit about medical equipment though). While I didn't explicitly talk about the cost/benefit part, I did say about how a working piece of gear will sell more than broken/untested; obviously he knows this, but I said it to back my case that letting me do a bit of work would ultimately help him in terms of profit, never mind time saving.

What I know is that it will be a steep learning curve. I'm relatively inexperienced, having fixed a TV and the odd piece of gear, so I haven't encountered a fraction of possible faults (mainly caps, power supply so far). Working on medical gear, there are obviously similar skills and techniques (tracking shorts...), as well as possible faults (power supply...), but there are different things to look for, and besides, I don't know what halve of this is at the moment (availability of datasheets?). Maybe I will just not be able to get some of it working, or to a known state. TBH, I'm worried that I won't fix the 'trial run' piece (or take forever), and he'll think I'm wasting his time. maybe I just need some more practise to reassure myself. Anyone know about medical electronics?!

Thanks for your help. 

Offline eas

• Frequent Contributor
    • Tech Obsessed
« Reply #52 on: May 03, 2015, 04:40:09 am »
A business's profits should be calculated as the differences between costs and revenues. For small businesses, those costs should include the value of the business owners time. A reasonable estimate of the business owners time is what they could be paid if they were doing something else instead. An adult can work a full time job. An adult probably has to cover their own living expenses. An adult can make more money than a kid, and probably needs to. A business dealing in physical goods has monthly costs for space for storing those goods. Bottom line, If you can do something he'd otherwise have to do himself and/or something he doesn't have time for, for wages that you'd be happy with, you are likely to be improving his profit margin.

Now, looking at this from your point of view, you get compensated with some amount of money, some amount of equipment, and the chance to learn. You will learn from your failures as much, if not more, than your successes.

Rather than worrying, you can manage expectations, both yours and his. Rather than letting him pin his assessment of you on one trial run piece, see if you can start with 5-10 items that he'd have to sell as "for parts, not working." Do a quick pass to size them up. Spend more time on the easiest, most promising targets. My guess is that you can probably turn one of them around pretty quickly. The next one may take longer. If you can only fix 20%, you've probably proven value. At the start, if you only charge for your successes, and you don't require a lot of attention from him, he's unlikely to think that you are wasting his time.

If the trial run works out, you'll need to settle on a fair price going forward, but first things first.

Offline vk3yedotcom

• Frequent Contributor
    • vk3ye dot com (radio articles and projects)
« Reply #53 on: May 03, 2015, 05:45:35 am »
Maybe I'll change the central monologue to success stories?

Definitely on the right track.

A couple of other suggestions.

* Emphasise benefits to the customer, especially compared to others. Maybe the 'no fix no fee' bubble should be in the middle.   Maybe a mention that this is exclusive or 'unlike other repairers' to make it a point of difference.   Another point of difference (if you offer it) is 'no minimum fee'.  Or if you don't, something like a $20 minimum fee (or more) might remove uncertainty.

* Definitely need reassurance / testimonials etc to demonstrate that though you're young you can do stuff.  And to convey that impression define the boundaries of your service - eg list what you don't fix.  This indicates modesty and builds trust.   And do you guarantee your work? If so say it. 

* Go for the green angle.  Do you offer a disposal or recycling service for things that you assess as not economical to repair?  And there are some people who would prefer to have something repaired even though it's dearer than buying new because (a) it's a product they've used and liked for years or (b) repair is less wasteful/better for the environment.  This can (sometimes) be an affluent part of the population.

* Seniors.  Many seniors are quite well off but may have come from thrifty backgrounds (maybe that's what made them rich?).  They can afford or prefer repair to buying new.

* Ride the retro wave. Valve radios have gone from landfill to prized antique in 40 years.  What will be next?  Component stereo? Or maybe 1980s ghetto blasters or cassette players.  Maybe get some cheap ones, repair them and see if you can sell them.  Novelty cafes based on a certain theme might want them and be willing to pay. 

* Are your operating hours convenient to those with jobs? Another point of difference if the competition is closed when most people have leisure.

* "Hello what is your name?'.  Definitely drop this. Put the personal stuff on a less prominent 'about us' section.

* 'Help me out?' (bottom right).   Sounds like you're begging or a charity. Why should I? Instead change it to something like 'Liked our service? Please tell others about us by sharing on Facebook'?  Or 'Our prices are low as we don't spend on marketing - please help keep it that way by liking us on Facebook'.  Can you give people who liked you a 5% discount on the next repair?

* 99% of people have no clue about electronics repair, so it's stuff like service, convenience, value etc that you can promote that will sway their decision. McDonalds didn't get big by making the best burger.

* Can you get support of a local business association that promotes local produce? Or maybe a local fair or farmers market? Can you have a 'repaired in <yourtown>' logo on your ads?

* Are there outreach programs - eg electronics construction sessions you could do with your old school - to boost your profile?

* Is there the possibility of value-added services - eg knowing about all the free apps (and loading them) that might appeal to people with smartphones (if that's what you repair)?

The logical result of doing all the above is burning yourself out and busting your gut for next to nothing.  So you may need to think about what pays and is worthwhile.  Trying to please everyone may not be - there may be some jobs you reject.
« Last Edit: May 03, 2015, 05:58:33 am by vk3yedotcom »
NEW! Ham Radio Get Started: Your success in amateur radio. One of 8 ebooks available on amateur radio topics. Details at  https://books.vk3ye.com

Offline tggzzz

• Super Contributor
  • Numbers, not adjectives
    • Having fun doing more, with less
« Reply #54 on: May 03, 2015, 07:26:18 am »
And to convey that impression define the boundaries of your service - eg list what you don't fix.

When assessing suppliers/salesmen and individuals, I explicitly try to find the boundaries of the possible by asking questions to which they ought to say "No". If they say "No" in a believable place for a good reason, then I will trust them when they say "Yes". Too many salesmen and bulls**tters won't say no.

* Seniors.  Many seniors are quite well off but may have come from thrifty backgrounds (maybe that's what made them rich?).  They can afford or prefer repair to buying new.
Or even find it more difficult to cope with something new/unfamiliar.

The logical result of doing all the above is burning yourself out and busting your gut for next to nothing.  So you may need to think about what pays and is worthwhile.  Trying to please everyone may not be - there may be some jobs you reject.
Every business will have customers that they shouldn't deal with - partly for the business' survival, partly for the "say no" reason I mentioned above.
There are lies, damned lies, statistics - and ADC/DAC specs.
Glider pilot's aphorism: "there is no substitute for span". Retort: "There is a substitute: skill+imagination. But you can buy span".
Having fun doing more, with less

Offline JackPTopic starter

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #55 on: May 03, 2015, 10:29:36 am »
Changes made - thanks guys! I recently contacted a fledgling trader platform (St Neots Tradesmen - under construction). He said he would love to get me on the register, and has agreed to look over my site (he is a web designer); he told me he'd help sort out a domain for me as well! If this gets off the ground, it will provide much needed 'advertising', I guess (for free), and it will definitely improve my repair skills!

Offline vk3yedotcom

• Frequent Contributor
    • vk3ye dot com (radio articles and projects)
« Reply #56 on: May 03, 2015, 11:25:07 am »
Oh, and if you want a break, watch these videos of Dick Smith who started off in servicing, then got into electronic sales and other business ventures.

NEW! Ham Radio Get Started: Your success in amateur radio. One of 8 ebooks available on amateur radio topics. Details at  https://books.vk3ye.com

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf