Author Topic: Any way to convert negative 18 VDC to positive 3.3 VDC ?  (Read 2842 times)

Offline MilacronTopic starter

• Contributor
Any way to convert negative 18 VDC to positive 3.3 VDC ?
« on: October 15, 2011, 03:12:50 pm »
Wierd question I know.... involves an older (1996) Hitachi 5.7" color LCD (Hitachi LMG9520RPCC-A, on a CNC router control) that for some reason used negative voltage (pin 7, VEE power supply for LC) but it's closest Hitachi replacement LCD uses positive voltage for VEE. 

Have already tried taking the positive voltage from another source on the control but still no data showing on the new monitor, and can't help but wonder if it's due to the negative voltage output on the control "doing nothing" not connected and throwing the data output into an error mode.

Offline tinhead

• Super Contributor
    • If you like my hacks, send me a donation
Re: Any way to convert negative 18 VDC to positive 3.3 VDC ?
« Reply #1 on: October 15, 2011, 03:35:23 pm »
i doubt that there is any logic detecting the VEE consumption (but of course you can easily check this, just connect a
4.7k resistor between VEE and VSS) - the reason why you didn't see anything is probably timing.
Check the display datasheet and compare with the one you using

http://www.mikrocontroller.net/attachment/96841/LMG9520RPCC.pdf

I don't want to be human! I want to see gamma rays, I want to hear X-rays, and I want to smell dark matter ...
I want to reach out with something other than these prehensile paws and feel the solar wind of a supernova flowing over me.

Online Zero999

• Super Contributor
« Reply #2 on: October 15, 2011, 04:59:25 pm »
A buck-boost converter can convert one voltage to the opposite polarity.

Offline FenderBender

• Super Contributor
    • The Solid State Workshop
« Reply #3 on: October 15, 2011, 09:21:28 pm »
I'd say an MC34063 could do it using the inverting mode...

Offline MilacronTopic starter

• Contributor
« Reply #4 on: October 16, 2011, 05:39:30 pm »
i doubt that there is any logic detecting the VEE consumption (but of course you can easily check this, just connect a
4.7k resistor between VEE and VSS) - the reason why you didn't see anything is probably timing.
Check the display datasheet and compare with the one you using

http://www.mikrocontroller.net/attachment/96841/LMG9520RPCC.pdf
You could be right about the timing but I couldn't see any significant differences in the timing of the old monitor with the new.  But then I'm no expert in such matters.  The new one is Hitachi SW14Q001....would you be so kind as to compare the timing graphs to see if you can find any difference that might matter  in this regard ?

http://www.datasheetarchive.com/SX14Q001-datasheet.html

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf