Author Topic: Anyone here going to buy a Machine ? Or in other words -what is the Machine ?  (Read 9467 times)

Offline ez24Topic starter

• Super Contributor
  • L.D.A.
Just saw a commercial on TV (during the US Open) for a HP Machine (too hot to be outside today).  Looked it up on Google and there is so much crap on it (unreadable web sites) I still do not know what it really is.  Is it a super computer or an expensive desktop?  If super, strange TV commercial (meaningless by the way)

One quote:
HP’s engineers need to create systems of lasers that fit inside -fingertip-size computer chips, invent a new kind of operating system, and perfect an electronic device for storing data that has never before been used in computers.

First time I heard of lasers inside computer chips.  Does anyone know the part number?

Any simple explanation of what this is?    Strange - I thought HP was a dead company.

thanks
YouTube and Website Electronic Resources ------>  https://www.eevblog.com/forum/other-blog-specific/a/msg1341166/#msg1341166

Offline ataradov

• Super Contributor
    • Personal site
Optical on-chip communication is the next big thing, since we are running into limitations imposed by aluminum and copper.

But as far as I know there is not anything practical in this area yet.

HP ad is probably a "brand awareness" kind of ad. Just to remind people that they still around and produce things other than crappy printers.
Alex

Offline VK5RC

• Supporter
Isn't it the early advertising for a computer based on the 'memristor'?   The Wikipedia entry attributes its development to one of the HP labs,  got published in Nature so the science must be ok,  lots of PR bumpf on the HP site though.
Whoah! Watch where that landed we might need it later.

Offline imidis

• Frequent Contributor
HP ad is probably a "brand awareness" kind of ad. Just to remind people that they still around and produce things other than crappy printers.
This had me laughing. :) That is about all they have left now huh? I can't even keep track, they probably still do servers, maybe?

Here is a Machine link

http://www.labs.hpe.com/research/themachine/

Gone for good

Offline TerraHertz

• Super Contributor
  • Why shouldn't we question everything?
    • It's not really a Blog
Here is a Machine link
http://www.labs.hpe.com/research/themachine/

That is hilarious.

One small detail not mentioned. If The Machine (architecture) is so great, who will it be working for? Individual owners of the machines, or some central corp-gov entity like Microsoft?
We need to fix the political realm first, before anything else.
Collecting old scopes, logic analyzers, and unfinished projects. http://everist.org

• Super Contributor
  • L.D.A.
Is the Machine science fiction?

I am surprised there was a TV commercial.    But as someone said maybe HP's way of saying they are still a company.  But advertising science fiction is a bit too much, viewers will not know this.  I thought it was some sort of product they were selling.

Could it be that HP is getting into the sci-fi business?  Maybe they are going to start a crowd funding campaign.

YouTube and Website Electronic Resources ------>  https://www.eevblog.com/forum/other-blog-specific/a/msg1341166/#msg1341166

Offline joeqsmith

• Super Contributor
Maybe Keysight will buy them and start branding their test equipment under the HP name again.   

I had a friend who worked for HP before the split.  I remember him telling me about when Carly came on-board.  When she saw the operation she could not understand how HP could make money selling test equipment.    It was not too long after that........

Offline tggzzz

• Super Contributor
  • Numbers, not adjectives
    • Having fun doing more, with less
One small detail not mentioned. If The Machine (architecture) is so great, who will it be working for? Individual owners of the machines, or some central corp-gov entity like Microsoft?

Que? What are you on about?
« Last Edit: June 20, 2016, 06:30:04 am by tggzzz »
There are lies, damned lies, statistics - and ADC/DAC specs.
Glider pilot's aphorism: "there is no substitute for span". Retort: "There is a substitute: skill+imagination. But you can buy span".
Having fun doing more, with less

Offline tggzzz

• Super Contributor
Any simple explanation of what this is?    Strange - I thought HP was a dead company.

There are still some very smart people working in HPE Labs; don't write them off yet.

It is a collection of technologies and ideas thrown together into one project. Whether all will work together, or whether a subset will become useful is to be determined. Don't forget that HPE Labs is designed to push into high-risk areas that don't yet have a commercial application - and they've been successful at it over the decades.

Having said that, the whole thing does have a bit of a smell of internal corporate politics: Labs having to "justify" their existence.

Glider pilot's aphorism: "there is no substitute for span". Retort: "There is a substitute: skill+imagination. But you can buy span".

Offline tggzzz

• Super Contributor

Don't be silly.

Look at the URL, and start by realising that HP Enterprise doesn't make printers. Printers are made by HP Inc, sometimes known ans HPInk.

Offline ataradov

• Super Contributor
    • Personal site
HP Enterprise ... HP Inc
So brand awareness. How many people know (or care) how HP is structured and what they make apart from printers?
Alex

Offline CJay

• Super Contributor

Que? What are you on about?

A quick look at that website makes me think it's talking about cloud memory, therefore it would be accessible to any 'agency' who are empowered or devious enough to investigate.

I agree with the sentiment, the site talks about your entire life being on the 'Machine', I much prefer keeping mine to myself thanks. 

Offline tggzzz

• Super Contributor
HP Enterprise ... HP Inc
So brand awareness. How many people know (or care) how HP is structured and what they make apart from printers?

Wrong again. HPE and HP Inc are two completely separate companies. Look at http://www.google.co.uk/finance?q=NYSE:HPE and http://www.google.co.uk/finance?q=NYSE:HPQ and you will see they have different stocks, different corporate officers, different corporate offices.

Confusing HPE and HPInc is as silly as, a few years ago, confusing HP and Agilent. The latest split was in 2015, see http://fortune.com/2015/10/30/bye-bye-hp/

Offline Khendrask

• Contributor
HP Enterprise makes some very high end network switchgear.
Our entire facility is power by HPE network gear, and it is pretty much bulletproof.
I've got a brand new 5406r switch that I am configuring up now on my desk, it is actually much easier to work with then Cisco, and boots up in about a 10th of the time of a Cisco switch.

Online JPortici

• Super Contributor

• Super Contributor
  • L.D.A.
i guess we'll see it on indiegogo this fall

I wonder why there was a TV commercial on something that does not exist and that might never be? 

The commercial is not on YT.  It showed a group of people at a waterfall, looking up at the falls.   And then transparent graphics appeared between the people and the falls.  Then generic claims of what "The Machine" could do.  The first thing that I thought was they were advertising a super computer (which I find odd in a TV commercial).  It was shown during the golf US Open, which I assume is like football's Super Bowl.  So probably a one time commercial.

Very weird

Offline imidis

• Frequent Contributor
This commercial?

Gone for good

Offline edavid

• Super Contributor

There are still some very smart people working in HPE Labs; don't write them off yet.

Isn't that what people said when Itanium came out?

Offline tggzzz

• Super Contributor

Isn't that what people said when Itanium came out?

Of course.

In HPLabs most projects were expected to "fail". If they didn't then they should have been in the operating divisions.

But if you look at the HP Journal, you will see that many remarkable advances did come from labs. And that's why the shouldn't be written off yet. But always remember to kick the tyres!

Offline continuo

• Frequent Contributor
This commercial?

Redshirts!

They're doomed  :palm:

• Super Contributor
  • L.D.A.

Offline tom66

• Super Contributor
  • Electronics Hobbyist & FPGA/Embedded Systems EE
My guess is this is HP's answer to IBM Watson.

No special chip, just thousands of servers.

Offline rrinker

• Super Contributor
 I think this is something a bit more than just another massively parallel supercomputer.

There are pretty much two ways forward: improve the parallelism of current technology, or come up with a new type of technology. We've gone from electromechanical logic through vacuum tube logic to germanium and then various iterations of silicon and other logic - either we stall here or we come up with something new.

Offline daqq

• Super Contributor
    • My site
I'd hazard a guess at the composition:

70% buzzwords
20% hype
9.8% misc. marketing
0.2% silicon
Believe it or not, pointy haired people do exist!
+++Divide By Cucumber Error. Please Reinstall Universe And Reboot +++

Offline tggzzz

• Super Contributor
My guess is this is HP's answer to IBM Watson.
No special chip, just thousands of servers.

Look more deeply; it is far more than that. Some have said that it also encompasses a software environment as well.

Don't presume it will all work in its grandiose entirety, but some aspects may be a sufficient advantage that they get taken up.

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf