Author Topic: Anyone know this part? - unknown transistor / fet maybe?  (Read 3531 times)

Offline innkeeperTopic starter

• Supporter
Anyone know this part? - unknown transistor / fet maybe?
« on: September 22, 2017, 03:21:51 am »
So a funny thing happened to me at the 'flea at MIT' , i came home with something i cant identify. - ok probably not that big a surprise.
but how could i pass up a bag of transistor looking devices thrown into a deal.

these are marked 8470-1GE (or maybe its 'ige' or LGE) - see pics

the transistor tester definitely isn't identifying these right, - hfe of 13k? its doubtful these are BJT transistors.
i literally have a bag of 1000's of these, maybe even 10,000 hard to judge. it be nice to identify them, otherwise there just gonna be trash.

so far my internet searches have come up empty. maybe its some company specific part number.

anyone have any ideas.

Hobbyist and a retired engineer and possibly a test equipment addict, though, searching for the equipment to test for that.

Offline ataradov

• Super Contributor
    • Personal site
Re: Anyone know this part? - unknown transistor / fet maybe?
« Reply #1 on: September 22, 2017, 04:07:36 am »
Can they be darlington transistors?

Open one up and see how it look on the inside.

Also, assume this tester is correct, and use one as a transistor in a circuit, and see what happens.

And I bet they are worthless, regardless of what they are. They may contain some precious metals, so they may be worth something as scrap.
« Last Edit: September 22, 2017, 04:09:26 am by ataradov »
Alex

• Supporter
« Reply #2 on: September 22, 2017, 05:13:13 am »
hmm, didn't think of them being Darlington's
yea not like trying to make money off them, heck id be happy if there useful, id hand them out like candy lol.
Hobbyist and a retired engineer and possibly a test equipment addict, though, searching for the equipment to test for that.

• Supporter
« Reply #3 on: September 22, 2017, 05:58:24 am »
the insides as best i could get

Offline capt bullshot

• Super Contributor
    • Mostly useless stuff, but nice to have: wunderkis.de
« Reply #4 on: September 22, 2017, 06:50:11 am »
My guess:
old germanium transistor manfactured by General Electric

I wouldn't trust the tester here. You may want to check them using the "conventional" method (diode tester from multimeter), see what the real Vbe is.
Safety devices hinder evolution

Offline amyk

• Super Contributor

Offline David Hess

• Super Contributor
  • DavidH
« Reply #6 on: September 22, 2017, 09:21:11 am »
http://www.semicon-data.com/transistor/tc/d0/D16P1.html

How did you get from 8470-1GE to D16P1?  I got as far as my GE transistor databook and saw that part number but could connect it.

• Supporter
« Reply #7 on: September 22, 2017, 06:55:53 pm »
My guess:
old germanium transistor manfactured by General Electric

I wouldn't trust the tester here. You may want to check them using the "conventional" method (diode tester from multimeter), see what the real Vbe is.

So i am getting .6v and 1.2v  ..  so, assuming .6 is Vbc and 1.2v is Vbe maybe this is a darlington. Base is on the end not the center pin.

so E C B

Online T3sl4co1l

• Super Contributor
  • Expert, Analog Electronics, PCB Layout, EMC
    • Seven Transistor Labs
« Reply #8 on: September 22, 2017, 07:24:36 pm »

How did you get from 8470-1GE to D16P1?  I got as far as my GE transistor databook and saw that part number but could connect it.

Guessing he knows the number offhand, or found one similar enough?

BJTs (and Darlingtons) aren't very special, from part to part, so it's not a big deal on the whole.

Anyway, the only missing data are Vceo, Ccb and Cbe, and fT.  Most of which the above data doesn't have either.  Easy enough to measure: test Vceo like a zener diode (use a small current from a high voltage, and measure breakdown between C and B), and test dynamic behavior with an amplifier or switch circuit.

I'd done the same series of tests on a house marked power transistor I have a bag of, which show it's somewhere between TIP31C and MJE15010 or thereabouts.  Too bad I don't need power transistors that often. :P

Tim
Seven Transistor Labs, LLC
Electronic design, from concept to prototype.
Bringing a project to life?  Send me a message!

• Supporter
« Reply #9 on: September 22, 2017, 07:38:40 pm »
:-+ That does fit what i am seeing so far..
how did you make the cross reference!!!

I couldn't find a complete GE pdf sheet on this except in an old ge handbook pdf
so excuse the pics.

be nice to find a use for these  :) pre-amps anyone? :P

• Supporter
« Reply #10 on: September 22, 2017, 07:53:09 pm »
Guessing he knows the number offhand, or found one similar enough?

Still be cool to know even if it was off the top of his head :)
seems like a house number. .. i always wonder if there is some story on who they were made for.
maybe there for spy satellites :P

actually i shouldn't joke, i got some misc components that all turned out to be spec'ed out for satellite usage - go figure. -  .1uf caps for example individually wrapped in ther own protective plastic anti-static cases... i kid you not. and some 1uf caps with ESR's so low i thought my meter was broken with ridiculous operating temperatures..

i've been falling into bag loads of surplus components recently. Way more parts then id ever use in my lifetime.
funny when your searching for them you cant find such things and when your not they fall in your lap.
i need to find someone to trade surplus parts with in my area.

[/quote]
« Last Edit: September 22, 2017, 09:47:39 pm by innkeeper »

Offline Brumby

• Supporter
« Reply #11 on: September 23, 2017, 05:47:20 am »

If you feel comfortable doing so, you could always offer your zip code here.  You might have someone close by from the forum, but don't know it.

• Supporter
« Reply #12 on: September 24, 2017, 03:44:14 am »
that is not a bad idea, i'll ahve to get some kind of rough inventory oif what i've got.
probably better on it's own thread

Offline BrianHG

• Super Contributor
« Reply #13 on: September 24, 2017, 03:50:40 am »
if you were in my area 2 years ago when I sold my house, I would have had a free truck load of electronics and bench tools you could have had for free...

Dumpster divers in my neighborhood were scavenging my trash pile for a month as I emptied out my basement lab...

Offline David Hess

• Super Contributor
  • DavidH
« Reply #14 on: September 24, 2017, 03:57:04 am »
actually i shouldn't joke, i got some misc components that all turned out to be spec'ed out for satellite usage - go figure. -  .1uf caps for example individually wrapped in ther own protective plastic anti-static cases... i kid you not. and some 1uf caps with ESR's so low i thought my meter was broken with ridiculous operating temperatures..

i've been falling into bag loads of surplus components recently. Way more parts then id ever use in my lifetime.
funny when your searching for them you cant find such things and when your not they fall in your lap.

If you participate in the right circles, these kinds of things are pretty common.  Like I have a few thousand germanium 1N270s on a roll which came from a satellite receiver company and trays, tubes, or bags of various semiconductors like TO-3 MOSFETs, TO-3 Darlingtons, TO-220 LM337s, DIP LM11s and LM833s, etc.  I finally had to bag about 1000 1N270s and cut the inner part of the roll into strips because the glue was failing.
« Last Edit: September 24, 2017, 04:00:46 am by David Hess »

Offline amyk

• Super Contributor
« Reply #15 on: September 24, 2017, 05:02:55 pm »
It's the only TO-98 darlington from GE which matches those characteristics. The part may also be marked around the base of the package.

Offline David Hess

• Super Contributor
  • DavidH
« Reply #16 on: September 24, 2017, 05:15:07 pm »
It's the only TO-98 darlington from GE which matches those characteristics. The part may also be marked around the base of the package.

The newer molded epoxy TO-98 packages were marked around the base but I do not remember the older epoxy filled TO-98 metal cans like these being marked that way.  I have a whole GE prototyping kit with the newer TO-98 parts somewhere but only a couple of the older TO-98 parts.

• Supporter
« Reply #17 on: September 24, 2017, 10:00:01 pm »
These are epoxy... No metal can
No markings around the base like I see in pictures of similar GE parts

Offline tuchap

« Reply #18 on: March 07, 2020, 05:53:03 pm »
Hi

I reopen this topic, because I'm looking for D16P1 transistors. If you still have some of them, I'm interested in buying a small quantity.

thank you,

Patrick

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf