Author Topic: Apple/Mac/Windows.... Hang on though !!!!!  (Read 11182 times)

Offline Halcyon

• Global Moderator
Re: Apple/Mac/Windows.... Hang on though !!!!!
« Reply #75 on: August 13, 2018, 12:29:14 am »
Absolutely, a lot of AV packages are garbage bloat ware. I think I must have trialled about 5 or 6 offerings from different vendors before I settled on ESET NOD32. I've mentioned this before on a number of threads but it does exactly what it says on the box. It's a basic file and memory-based virus scanner and nothing more. It uses bugger all RAM or CPU resources. I have it set to scan every single file upon access (whether it's an executable or not) and I honestly can't tell the difference with it on or off. It doesn't nag me and just sits quietly in the background.

The great thing is, it still runs on Windows XP (the installer warns you that it may not work properly) but at least it gives you the option to install and try, unlike some other vendors that flat out refuse to run on obsolete systems and force you to upgrade to their newer products.

All I want my AV to do is to scan every file that touches my machine against known viruses. Nothing more, nothing less. That's my first line of defence.

Offline GlennSpriggTopic starter

• Super Contributor
  • Medically retired Tech. Old School / re-learning !
« Reply #76 on: August 15, 2018, 12:44:59 pm »
Absolutely, a lot of AV packages are garbage bloat ware. I think I must have trialled about 5 or 6 offerings from different vendors before I settled on ESET NOD32. I've mentioned this before on a number of threads but it does exactly what it says on the box. It's a basic file and memory-based virus scanner and nothing more. It uses bugger all RAM or CPU resources. I have it set to scan every single file upon access (whether it's an executable or not) and I honestly can't tell the difference with it on or off. It doesn't nag me and just sits quietly in the background.

The great thing is, it still runs on Windows XP (the installer warns you that it may not work properly) but at least it gives you the option to install and try, unlike some other vendors that flat out refuse to run on obsolete systems and force you to upgrade to their newer products.

All I want my AV to do is to scan every file that touches my machine against known viruses. Nothing more, nothing less. That's my first line of defence.

I agree... but 'gnif' failed to mention the ubiquitous 'P.U.P.'s (which are mostly annoying), and 'Heuristic' detections !
which don't just rely on the present 'known' list of viruses/malware etc.

I used to LOVE the free AVAST software, for it's functionality, configurability & detection rate. But it has become bloat-ware, with too
MUCH advertising for it's own various/many products, and definitely uses my processor/memory like a rabid shark!, according to
'Task-Manager' even when it should be only putting along in the background, or paused, when the CPU is busy elsewhere !

I ALSO like a 'tool' to do one thing, well...  I use 'Malwarebytes' for anti-malware, and Avast now seriously warns (warned) me
about that, telling me to UNINSTALL IT !!... Yea right. Told Avast where to go, although still using it due to the above reasons.

For extra insurance and following advice given by Malwarebytes staff, I've added the files below to Avast's exclusions :-

C:\Windows\System32\drivers\mbae64.sys
   C:\Windows\System32\drivers\mbam.sys
   C:\Windows\System32\drivers\MBAMChameleon.sys
   C:\Windows\System32\drivers\MBAMSwissArmy.sys
   C:\Windows\System32\drivers\mwac.sys
   C:\Windows\system32\Drivers\farflt.sys

C:\Program Files\Malwarebytes\Anti-Malware\MbamPt.exe
   C:\Program Files\Malwarebytes\Anti-Malware\mbam.exe
   C:\Program Files\Malwarebytes\Anti-Malware\assistant.exe
   C:\Program Files\Malwarebytes\Anti-Malware\MBAMWsc.exe
   C:\Program Files\Malwarebytes\Anti-Malware\mbamtray.exe
   C:\Program Files\Malwarebytes\Anti-Malware\MBAMService.exe

I've also added the Avast program folder to Malwarebytes exclusions.

'Avast' have also tried to get into the 'RansomWare' market, and although I've left it active, and after MUCH research,
I additionally use another 3rd party App called  'CyberSight-RansomStopper'.  There are quite a few out there now,
and some that 'sound' the same, but are not as refined, proficient or all-encompassing.  But that's my opinion ! :-)

P.S...   'Avast' has even jumped on the band-wagon regarding "WebCam Protection"... (to protect your privacy)...
Well, they EVEN threw up a 'Warning' that I am 'vulnerable', and to CLICK here to show you !!!...
OBVIOUSLY they are a multitude of app-modules, allowed to run on your system. By them SHOWING you some sort
of result, is just SCARE-MONGERING for the elderly/ill-informed, to upgrade for monetary gain.
I thought that was FUCKING abhorrent !!! (excuse my language).
Diagonal of 1x1 square = Root-2. Ok.
Diagonal of 1x1x1 cube = Root-3 !!!  Beautiful !!

Offline gnif

• Administrator
« Reply #77 on: August 16, 2018, 03:19:47 am »
I agree... but 'gnif' failed to mention the ubiquitous 'P.U.P.'s (which are mostly annoying), and 'Heuristic' detections !
which don't just rely on the present 'known' list of viruses/malware etc.

Actually I did not mention them on purpose, heuristic detection is useless today with the advent of self unpacking and self modifying code, most of which are using commercial packing mechanisms that are used to protect legitimate applications from reverse engineering and as such can not have a generic detection pattern or there will be continual false positives.

Heuristic scanning is similar to signature scanning, except that instead of looking for specific signatures, heuristic scanning looks for certain instructions or commands within a program that are not found in typical application programs. As a result, a heuristic engine is able to detect potentially malicious functionality in new, previously unexamined, malicious functionality such as the replication mechanism of a virus, the distribution routine of a worm or the payload of a trojan.

The problem with this is it has to perform a static analysis of the binary to determine what API call's it is making and/or doing. But with a packed/encrypted executable the AV software can not determine anything other then the program does some memory work. In order to unpack the binary the AV software would have to run it, let it unpack in the hopes of halting it before it does any damage and then scan it's process space. Security researchers perform such research, by running the binary inside a VM under a debugger and then dumping it from memory for analysis.

The modern way to handle this is "sandboxing" where the AV software itself executes the binary inside a VM of it's own design in the hopes of seeing it use malicious commands. The overhead of this is enormous and why AV software causes such a huge performance hit.

With a major focus on security over the last 10 years viruses are nothing like they used to be, if they were we would have seen another CodeRed or Nimda like virus already. The most recent one to scare the world was a cryptolocker that used a hole in windows that was known, and a patch existed for it for years before hand. If you're not bothering to apply security updates to your OS, then its very likely your AV software is also out dated and not going to protect you, or can not because it relies on the underlying OS to work a specific way.

Also remember that back then many people had their PCs connected directly to the internet without a router/firewall and as such were exposing their unprotected/unpatched PCs to the world without a firewall or NAT to protect it. The CoreRed virus spread through the windows RPC service and would infect the system without the AV software being able to do a thing about it. Even after infection the virus had to be removed with a special tool as the AV software couldn't remove it by itself. Nimda was the same, etc.

The only real solution to viruses are incremental daily backups, preferably via a separate backup server running in passive mode (See Bareos (free) or R1Soft (commercial)). It should also be noted that more people lose their data due to hardware failure then viruses. Your HDD dies and you lose everything. Rather then investing in expensive AV software put the money into a backup solution instead and let Bit Defender do it's thing, it's actually quite good.

is just SCARE-MONGERING

I could not agree more. AV software went from being a requirement to trying to convince you that you require it by alerting on every little thing including stupid things like "tracking cookies".
« Last Edit: August 16, 2018, 03:38:26 am by gnif »

The following users thanked this post: GlennSprigg

Offline tooki

• Super Contributor
« Reply #78 on: August 16, 2018, 09:56:08 am »
And this is one reason why I still prefer using a Mac. It’d be unfair to say there isn’t no malware for Mac (though I don’t think there are any true viruses for Mac OS X — by the strict definition of a virus — there certainly are Trojans and various other exploits), but the sheer number in the wild is minuscule, and the built in virus checker in Mac OS X keeps the serious ones out. I’ve never run any additional antivirus on Mac OS X, and at this rate it’ll probably stay that way.

Offline Halcyon

• Global Moderator
« Reply #79 on: August 16, 2018, 10:00:46 am »
And this is one reason why I still prefer using a Mac. It’d be unfair to say there isn’t no malware for Mac (though I don’t think there are any true viruses for Mac OS X — by the strict definition of a virus — there certainly are Trojans and various other exploits), but the sheer number in the wild is minuscule, and the built in virus checker in Mac OS X keeps the serious ones out. I’ve never run any additional antivirus on Mac OS X, and at this rate it’ll probably stay that way.

To be fair, there is no need to run "additional" antivirus on Windows or any other platform either. Windows Defender actually does a decent job, however if you do decide to use something else, use something decent that isn't just shitty bloat-ware. There is no point running two different virus scanners simultaneously. There was little merit for that in the 1990's and there is even less merit for it now.

Offline tooki

• Super Contributor
« Reply #80 on: August 16, 2018, 01:14:47 pm »
But even Windows Defender is a much more heavyweight antivirus than what Mac OS X includes (or needs, for most people).

Offline Halcyon

• Global Moderator
« Reply #81 on: August 16, 2018, 08:53:36 pm »
But even Windows Defender is a much more heavyweight antivirus than what Mac OS X includes (or needs, for most people).

Perhaps it is, I don't use either so I can't really compare.

Offline GlennSpriggTopic starter

• Super Contributor
  • Medically retired Tech. Old School / re-learning !
« Reply #82 on: August 17, 2018, 12:12:42 pm »

To be fair, there is no need to run "additional" antivirus on Windows or any other platform either. Windows Defender actually does a decent job, however if you do decide to use something else, use something decent that isn't just shitty bloat-ware. There is no point running two different virus scanners simultaneously. There was little merit for that in the 1990's and there is even less merit for it now.

Wow, sorry mate, but that's the last thing I thought someone would say.  "Windows Defender" is as basic as it gets, in the hope that people who have STARTED with no other 'protection' at least have SOMETHING, when starting up a new system...
It can not 'compare' at all with the 'experts' in that field, with/without bloatware...
Most people tend to use a dedicated AV system, for just that. And an Anti-Malware system for just that, etc.
IF NASA used Windows systems, would they use their basic O.S. to send people to outer space ?
Diagonal of 1x1 square = Root-2. Ok.
Diagonal of 1x1x1 cube = Root-3 !!!  Beautiful !!

Offline edy

• Super Contributor
    • DevHackMod Channel
« Reply #83 on: August 17, 2018, 01:44:31 pm »
Not sure where this thread was going (or if it even had a direction from the first post) but to get back on track, below is a video of my foray into running Mac OS on my ASUS laptop. By the way, I boot Ubuntu and just set up a number of virtual machines in Virtual box for Win XP, Mac OS, Android, and Win 10. I do all my work in Ubuntu though, and use the VM's mostly to play around.

Anyways if you need help installing it there are a few tricks you need to do which are explained in the video with links to virtual images. Individual success and results may vary, but I am running it fine minus a few features having to do with graphics (any app that uses more sophisticated graphics features will not work, but browsing, Whatsapp, iTunes and podcasts, Safari, etc all work fine).

https://youtu.be/SXffFlO7mFM
YouTube: www.devhackmod.com LBRY: https://lbry.tv/@winegaming:b Bandcamp Music Link
"Ye cannae change the laws of physics, captain" - Scotty

Offline PlainName

• Super Contributor
« Reply #84 on: August 17, 2018, 01:54:08 pm »
Anyways if you need help installing it

Oh yes! Have an upgrade USB which will allegedly install to clean hardware. In a VB VM I can boot from that (by making it look like a disk) and even install OSX on the real VM disk, but it won't boot from that. I will be perusing that video for clues!

Windows is a lot easier to get running in a VM :)

Offline edy

• Super Contributor
    • DevHackMod Channel
« Reply #85 on: August 17, 2018, 02:23:10 pm »
Here is a guide I wrote (which you can see in the video) which I put together after looking at a number of sites. Adjust the parameters below as necessary (memory RAM size, serial number, name of machine, etc). By the way these work on my UBUNTU Linux machine as of VirtualBox 5.12:

Setting up the macOS 10.12 Sierra to run in VirtualBox:

Download Google Drive (One Full): https://goo.gl/pBVDXz
will redirect to... https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/0B1zbCptv-EMWalZzU0hQaGFEbzA

Step 1:
=======

1. Create NEW virtual machine
2. Name:  "macOS 10.12 Sierra"
   VirtualBox will automatically make it Type:  Mac OS X
   Change version to last one in list...
   Version:  Mac OS X 10.11 El Capitan (64 bit) or 10.12 Sierra
   (default is otherwise Mac OS X 64-bit)
3. Memory size is 4 GB ( 70% of your Ram ) or 4096 MB... but this may be in red zone if system ram low
   - may complain is too big, may wish to change it but keep in green safety zone (3510 MB)
   - also may need to shut down most apps in Ubuntu to free up RAM
4. Will ask you to pick a Virtual disk file, choose:  macOS 10.12 Sierra.vmdk
5. Default settings for most other things:
   a) Chipset should automatically be ICH9
   b) Under Advanced... make Processors 2 CPU's and make sure checked Enable PAE/NX
   c) Under Acceleration make sure hardware virtualization both checked
   d) Display... Video Mem 128 MB, enable 3D acceleration (can't use 2D as this only works with Windows not macOS)
   e) Storage... pick macOS subitem under SATA controller and confirm it is set as SATA Post 0

Step 2:
=======

Go to terminal and type in the following lines to further configure the machine further. Run each line one at a time:
Machine name would be called "macOS 10.12 Sierra"

VBoxManage modifyvm "macOS 10.12 Sierra" --cpuidset 00000001 000106e5 00100800 0098e3fd bfebfbff
VBoxManage setextradata "macOS 10.12 Sierra" "VBoxInternal/Devices/efi/0/Config/DmiSystemProduct" "iMac11,3"
VBoxManage setextradata "macOS 10.12 Sierra" "VBoxInternal/Devices/efi/0/Config/DmiSystemVersion" "1.0"
VBoxManage setextradata "macOS 10.12 Sierra" "VBoxInternal/Devices/efi/0/Config/DmiBoardProduct" "Iloveapple"
VBoxManage setextradata "macOS 10.12 Sierra" "VBoxInternal/Devices/smc/0/Config/DeviceKey" "ourhardworkbythesewordsguardedpleasedontsteal(c)AppleComputerInc"
VBoxManage setextradata "macOS 10.12 Sierra" "VBoxInternal/Devices/smc/0/Config/GetKeyFromRealSMC" 1

Copy and paste each of these lines in a terminal for machine named "macOS High Sierra":

VBoxManage modifyvm "macOS High Sierra" --cpuidset 00000001 000106e5 00100800 0098e3fd bfebfbff
VBoxManage setextradata "macOS High Sierra" "VBoxInternal/Devices/efi/0/Config/DmiSystemProduct" "iMac11,3"
VBoxManage setextradata "macOS High Sierra" "VBoxInternal/Devices/efi/0/Config/DmiSystemVersion" "1.0"
VBoxManage setextradata "macOS High Sierra" "VBoxInternal/Devices/efi/0/Config/DmiBoardProduct" "Iloveapple"
VBoxManage setextradata "macOS High Sierra" "VBoxInternal/Devices/smc/0/Config/DeviceKey" "ourhardworkbythesewordsguardedpleasedontsteal(c)AppleComputerInc"
VBoxManage setextradata "macOS High Sierra" "VBoxInternal/Devices/smc/0/Config/GetKeyFromRealSMC" 1

Change serial number so that AppStore and such will work properly:

VBoxManage setextradata "macOS High Sierra" "VBoxInternal/Devices/efi/0/Config/DmiSystemSerial" "string:(serial number)"

e.g.

VBoxManage setextradata "macOS High Sierra" "VBoxInternal/Devices/efi/0/Config/DmiSystemSerial" "string:C18FGR5MDLJF"

(note: above serial number not real, just used for example to show)

Check on this site to see if you have a valid serial:   https://checkcoverage.apple.com/ca/en/

e.g. VBoxManage setextradata "macOS High Sierra" "VBoxInternal/Devices/efi/0/Config/DmiSystemSerial" "string:C02NNP6SG085"

Once you correct serial number, AppStore will allow you to download properly (without valid Serial number the install will not let Appstore functionality or ability to login to Apple account).

Step 3:
=======
1. Boot the machine
2. May complain about undetected keyboard, when asked to press button next to right shift, use another key
    - I used the "back slash" key which is to the right of the LEFT shift key (or left of the "z" key)
    - The Command key is Windows logo key... to get SCREENSHOT on macOS you do Shift-Cmd-4 to get selection cross-hairs
    - Shft-Cmd-3 is the entire screen
3. If system hangs or freezes in full-screen, can use CTRL-ALT-F1 to get to another terminal, login and kill process.
   - Use CTRL-ALT-F7 to get back to the graphical user interface

Step 4:  Other problems.... No solution for now...
=======
1. Defaults to 1024x768 for now, works fine in Full Screen 1024x768 mode but no "Wide screen"
2. Go to System Preferences, Energy Saver and turn off everything (put to NEVER and turn off put hard drive to sleep)
3. Some network issues... Go to Network and choose BRIDGED ADAPTER and choose the wlp2s0... (Wifi) ?
4. Sound and speed issues... No INPUT possible, OUTPUT works but is very slow (YouTube videos work but audio crap)

RESETTING PRAM and other stuff:
===============================
Hold down Alt-Cmd-P-R all at the same time (yes 4 keys) while machine is rebooting.
On ASUS it's Alt-WindowsKey-P-R. It will load a special menu. Hold donw 20 seconds and it will reboot again.

Here's another link:

https://techsviewer.com/install-macos-sierra-virtualbox-windows/

You may have trouble finding a virtual disk image as the above links are a bit old. However, if you look around Google you should find something to download (they have newer images anyways). You may be better off mounting an installation ISO anyways and having it install to a virtual HD by itself in VirtualBox anyways. Finally, the "legality" of all this is all fairly obviously against Apple's rules but they don't really seem to care or enforce much against the Hackintosh community because of the minimal impact it has on them, plus the often flaky performance of the machines, lack of full graphics support, issues with some of the MacOS apps, and so on.  You are better off buying Apple hardware and using bootcamp to install Windows 10 if you want to dabble in both OS's.  Or better yet, try a Linux distro like Ubuntu and forget about all this virtualizing illegal mumbo-jumbo which will give you variable performance.

The OP sounded like they were using Win10 and finally "broke free" and feel like they for the first time are trying MacOS and liked it. They may as well do this with Linux and see if that also blows their mind.

Ultimately, the OS you use will depend on the applications you intend on using it for. I can't stand these "OS wars" arguments... there is no place for them. Each has it's unique characteristics which make them better for some jobs and not for others. At the end of the day, you would be wise to be well-versed in *ALL* OS's and know the strengths and weaknesses of each, and pick the rights ones to do the job you want them to do, on the hardware you have available and willing to afford! We are lucky these days to have computers strong enough and virtualization technology that gives the average user the power to try all these systems and learn it all! :-+
« Last Edit: August 17, 2018, 06:48:53 pm by edy »
YouTube: www.devhackmod.com LBRY: https://lbry.tv/@winegaming:b Bandcamp Music Link

Offline PlainName

• Super Contributor
« Reply #86 on: August 17, 2018, 07:30:19 pm »
ou may have trouble finding a virtual disk image

That is where I've come unstuck on all these guides and videos. If I had the image, I wouldn't need a video to tell me how to use it...

Offline edy

• Super Contributor
    • DevHackMod Channel
« Reply #87 on: August 17, 2018, 07:57:21 pm »
Try this page, there are some working links:

https://techsviewer.com/install-macos-high-sierra-vmware-windows/

Offline PlainName

• Super Contributor
« Reply #88 on: August 18, 2018, 06:40:33 am »
The links worked great for me. Thanks very much  :-+

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf