Author Topic: Are there any EEVblog server app you'd like to see installed?  (Read 18370 times)

Offline T3sl4co1l

• Super Contributor
  • Expert, Analog Electronics, PCB Layout, EMC
    • Seven Transistor Labs
Re: Are there any EEVblog server app you'd like to see installed?
« Reply #50 on: December 05, 2022, 12:49:48 am »
Huh, so that master-overrides the profile setting?  I've had this off for years, now the option has no effect (just checked).

Also it seems to be adding extra CRs at the end of my post.  And the font size is mismatched between copy-paste and typed.  And the "remove formatting" maybe works.  But without being able to see the actual formatting I just have no idea...

Also saw a weird thing where a CR can't be CTRL+Larrow navigated past?  Sometimes the default Chrome textbox does weird things (like entering a space at EOL, doesn't wrap or compress the space, but inserts a hidden LF or something, for some reason..!), but I don't think it's done that before.

Ah yeah it's reproducible, seems like it's the first CR in a pasted section that can't be CTRL+LEFT'd past?

Ah and also pasting adds extra CRs below the section.  Great...

Also the textbox starts really small, at first I thought it was resized but typing this now I realize it's resizing automatically... at least to a point.  Not really a necessary feature as the browser makes textboxes resizable these days, but probably handy for those that don't.

Ed: and ALT+S is disabled!?  Wait, it's disabled within the textbox, I have to defocus it for the button shortcut to work?

(Note: I'm not so much complaining, as reporting bugs and differences to see if others reproduce them, and for posterity.  Maybe they can be fixed.  Maybe it's a tolerable usage change given other features.  I don't know.)

Also, image paste I guess!

Ed2: Aha, now the Toggle View button is working, huh, weird.  I swear I tried that before and it didn't work.  I did toggle the profile setting, clear cache, and refresh since then, maybe that did it?  Maybe I just wasn't clicking it right the first time?  Weird.  Downside: now the textbox is tiny, it disables the auto-resize (and the massive toolbar takes up much of the area), so I'll probably be manually resizing that more often now...

Also for posterity, the toolbar wraps at lower window sizes: I have it around 1760px wide where all the buttons and emotes fit onto one line each.  That's a disaster for readability; I normally keep it around 1000-1200.  On the upside, I guess, it does scrunch down all the way to 640px and even less, although at the default textbox height it only fits five lines of text...

Tim
« Last Edit: December 05, 2022, 12:59:50 am by T3sl4co1l »
Seven Transistor Labs, LLC
Electronic design, from concept to prototype.
Bringing a project to life?  Send me a message!

Offline RoGeorge

• Super Contributor
« Reply #51 on: December 05, 2022, 12:51:17 am »
I've tried this editor about two years ago, and didn't like it back then.  Don't remember the exact reasons, some things were not working.

Testing it now, drag and drop from file explorer to the editor doesn't work with current Ubuntu+Firefox (back then was working, yet it was embedding the pics as base64 text, and made a mess when quoted pics or editing previous posts with base64 pics embedded in them).  Now it highlights the editor area and says 'Drop file here' but the jpg does not drop.  Copy/paste a JPG with CTRL+C CTRL+V pastes a link to the local filesystem instead of embedding the pic.

'Insert Quote' button (from the post reply page) doesn't work either.  Nothing happens when pressed.

Online EEVblogTopic starter

• Administrator
    • EEVblog
« Reply #52 on: December 05, 2022, 12:52:17 am »
+2 >:(
Fortunately you can still click the toggle view toolbar button (furthest right) to turn off WYSIWYG and see plain text + BBCODE.  However its a PITA having to do that *EVERY* *%EXPLETIVE%* *TIME* :horse:|O

*sigh*
What exactly is wrong with it?
Being able to paste an image directly inline and have it automatically IMGUR it is pretty cool.

• Administrator
    • EEVblog
« Reply #53 on: December 05, 2022, 12:56:39 am »
Fine, disabled. Everyone happy again?  :-BROKE

I'm pretty convinced that no matter what changes I make to the forum, people are not going to be happy.
That only cost me a decent lunch to try.

The following users thanked this post: thm_w, edavid, Andy Watson, Ian.M, RoGeorge

• Administrator
    • EEVblog
« Reply #54 on: December 05, 2022, 01:08:02 am »
Please let me know if you think this is useful:

https://www.smfpacks.com/stream.php?video=cms

Offline T3sl4co1l

• Super Contributor
  • Expert, Analog Electronics, PCB Layout, EMC
    • Seven Transistor Labs
« Reply #55 on: December 05, 2022, 01:08:37 am »
Being able to paste an image directly inline and have it automatically IMGUR it is pretty cool.

But anyway, yes!

On that note, maybe a long shot, but there's at least one place I know of that's embedded schematic editing (via Circuitlab).

NO idea how difficult that is, if a plugin exists or etc...

Tim
Seven Transistor Labs, LLC
Electronic design, from concept to prototype.
Bringing a project to life?  Send me a message!

Offline ataradov

• Super Contributor
    • Personal site
« Reply #56 on: December 05, 2022, 01:09:13 am »
That's why there should be settings for this stuff. I know that plugin authors may not have ability or desire to include those settings for individual profiles, but that's more the reason to not mess with things. This forum is one of the last things not overloaded with modern UI BS, it would be great to keep it the way it is.
Alex

The following users thanked this post: apelly, Ian.M, RoGeorge

Online Ian.M

• Super Contributor
« Reply #57 on: December 05, 2022, 01:13:39 am »

I'm pretty convinced that no matter what changes I make to the forum, people are not going to be happy.
Thank you.

Some of us have  BBCODE hard-wired in our brains from years of hanging out on various forums.   Others have various accessibility issues that make plain text editing much easier for them.   

I can understand it could be a good thing for new users to have their profile 'Show WYSIWYG editor on post page by default.' checkbox initially checked so they get the WYSIWYG experience, but unless there is an overriding reason to stop supporting plain text, please don't remove our choice by making that checkbox ineffective or removing it.
« Last Edit: December 05, 2022, 01:19:16 am by Ian.M »

Offline ataradov

• Super Contributor
    • Personal site
« Reply #58 on: December 05, 2022, 01:14:49 am »
I did not watch the whole video, but it looks like something that is for site admin rather than users? It is not clear what of the stuff shown in the video accessible to normal users, since he is logged in from an admin account.

And the part I randomly scrolled to shows how you can execute arbitrary javascript. This could go horribly wrong if you let users do that.
Alex

• Administrator
    • EEVblog
« Reply #59 on: December 05, 2022, 03:50:45 am »
I did not watch the whole video, but it looks like something that is for site admin rather than users? It is not clear what of the stuff shown in the video accessible to normal users, since he is logged in from an admin account.

I got the impression that users could create pages and organise how the forum looked to them. Seems like an insane aount of effort to go to just for admins.

Offline BrianHG

• Super Contributor
« Reply #60 on: December 05, 2022, 05:05:28 am »
TEST

(Attachment Link)

Well that's a FAIL.
I don't get it.  We have tons of existing messages with the ' [ Attachment Invalid Or Does Not Exist ] ' in the thread.  Why is it when the forum displays the message, it will just insert the image #1 from the available files which were attached?

I mean, modify the the display of posts to fetch and change the ' [ Attachment Invalid Or Does Not Exist ] ' to '[ img ] [ Attachment Invalid Or Does Not Exist ] [ /img ]' during display.  This way, all existing previous posts throughout the past few years since the first bug existed will all now display correctly.

I mean, do not modify any of the current attached file code.  Do not modify the current 'attachimg' inserted text.  Do not modify existing posts, just make the swap during the display of each message as if it were the '[ img ] [image file name] [ /img ]'

In other words, if done the way I say, the original post you made will self-fix as well as all the other posts.
« Last Edit: December 05, 2022, 05:07:41 am by BrianHG »

• Administrator
    • EEVblog
« Reply #61 on: December 05, 2022, 07:33:35 am »
TEST

(Attachment Link)

Well that's a FAIL.
I don't get it.  We have tons of existing messages with the ' (Attachment Link) ' in the thread.  Why is it when the forum displays the message, it will just insert the image #1 from the available files which were attached?

I mean, modify the the display of posts to fetch and change the ' (Attachment Link) ' to '[ img ] (Attachment Link) [ /img ]' during display.  This way, all existing previous posts throughout the past few years since the first bug existed will all now display correctly.

I mean, do not modify any of the current attached file code.  Do not modify the current 'attachimg' inserted text.  Do not modify existing posts, just make the swap during the display of each message as if it were the '[ img ] [image file name] [ /img ]'

In other words, if done the way I say, the original post you made will self-fix as well as all the other posts.

I don't think it's that easy, as that's exactly what the plugin is supposed to do I believe. The problem someone quite complex about database syncs and the wrong image being displayed.
The forum server is actualyl two database servers for redundency and performance reasons, and IIRC something got all out of whack with SMF.

Online Ranayna

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #62 on: December 05, 2022, 08:24:06 am »
Please, no, not Xenforo. Or anything else which insists I can only use one third of my display.
Are you referring to the limited page width that many Xenforo communities use?

That can be toggled, at least in one community i'm a member.
Reduced width is the default though, and i find it significantly easier to read. Full width on a WQHD display is a lot more difficult to read, at least for me. Likely for a similar reason that newspaper articles are laid out in columns instead of long lines.
The neat thing though is that the width scales depending on screensize. On an iPad for example, the page is automatically full width.

Online magic

• Super Contributor
« Reply #63 on: December 05, 2022, 10:11:32 am »
1. dragged into the box
2. selected with "browse"
3. "more attachments" and "browse"
4. dragged into the box
5. "more attachments" and "browse"

edit
Well, it reordered them a little ::)
This plugin poorly integrates with SMF's built-in attachment management.
How hard was it to get that right... |O

6. bonus
« Last Edit: December 05, 2022, 10:16:08 am by magic »

Online magic

• Super Contributor
« Reply #64 on: December 05, 2022, 10:23:40 am »
Well, in all fairness, it's not a serious problem.
Either ignore the new upload plugin and use the old boxes like before or ignore them and upload everything through the plugin.

I guess I just like to make fun of crappy software :P

Online magic

• Super Contributor
« Reply #65 on: December 05, 2022, 10:29:31 am »
Another test.

Blocking malwarescript from code.jquery.org restores original behavior.
50% of websites will stop working when one day this domain goes down :-DD

Online PlainName

• Super Contributor
« Reply #66 on: December 05, 2022, 11:23:27 am »
*sigh*
What exactly is wrong with it?

Looks fine when you do it. When some tosser  has a 4K photo of a fuse and does the same... I've stopped dropping into threads where there are lots of big photos pasted inline just because they can do it. The SMF plugin that doesn't work would be super useful if it actually did work and make that kind of problem disappear.

Why are big inline images a pain? Because they take no notice of my browser window size, and the text I'm reading keeps jumping around as images slowly load. In the right place and used with some thought behind them, inline images are fab. Otherwise they're just a pain in the arse, the 21C version of marquees.

Online Zero999

• Super Contributor
« Reply #67 on: December 05, 2022, 11:48:26 am »
Spell chequer.
Is that error deliberate? A spellchecker wouldn't spot it, because chequer is the wrong word. You'd need a grammar checker.

Most browsers come with a spellchecker, which can be enabled by right clicking on the text box and clicking check spelling in Firefox. There are probably also grammar checker extensions available for most browsers, but I've not looked into it.

The following users thanked this post: thm_w

Offline thm_w

• Super Contributor
  • Non-expert
« Reply #68 on: December 05, 2022, 10:17:00 pm »
EEVBLOG roblox server
/s

Looks fine when you do it. When some tosser  has a 4K photo of a fuse and does the same... I've stopped dropping into threads where there are lots of big photos pasted inline just because they can do it. The SMF plugin that doesn't work would be super useful if it actually did work and make that kind of problem disappear.

Why are big inline images a pain? Because they take no notice of my browser window size, and the text I'm reading keeps jumping around as images slowly load. In the right place and used with some thought behind them, inline images are fab. Otherwise they're just a pain in the arse, the 21C version of marquees.

If its loading, let it load in a tab and do something else. Once its loaded its a non-issue, as it should auto resize in most browsers.

If you want to tweak the max size to a fixed number you can probably run a script like this
Code: [Select]
@-moz-document domain("eevblog.com") {
img {
   max-width: 800px;
   height: auto;
  }
}
Profile -> Modify profile -> Look and Layout ->  Don't show users' signatures

Offline tooki

• Super Contributor
« Reply #69 on: December 06, 2022, 01:15:26 am »

I wish you'd left it on for more than a few hours so that more of us could have tried it. Most of us literally did not even get the chance to try it once. And you know how it is: people that don't like something are FAR more likely to say something than people who like it.
« Last Edit: December 06, 2022, 01:17:07 am by tooki »

The following users thanked this post: Siwastaja, Ranayna

Offline ataradov

• Super Contributor
    • Personal site
« Reply #70 on: December 06, 2022, 01:37:26 am »
so that more of us could have tried it.
You can still try essentially the same thing.  If you click "Reply" on the post you will see a editor with a lot of controls. This mod added the same functionality but also in the quick reply box.

But the editor you get now actually respects profile setting for the rich editor (there is a button "Toggle View" to switch it on the fly). The added one always defaulted to the rich version making it a pain to copy-paste stuff from the web pages because it also copes formatting.
Alex

The following users thanked this post: edavid

Offline wilfred

• Super Contributor
« Reply #71 on: December 06, 2022, 02:13:47 am »

You do know that a handful of people aren't appointed to speak for everyone. It came and went before I knew of it. Which may be a good thing at times.

If you had a test forum these changes could be left around for much longer without placing the live forum at risk and reducing stress involved in trying to ensure all problems are dealt with.

Offline tooki

• Super Contributor
« Reply #72 on: December 06, 2022, 02:20:16 am »
so that more of us could have tried it.
You can still try essentially the same thing.  If you click "Reply" on the post you will see a editor with a lot of controls. This mod added the same functionality but also in the quick reply box.
Please don’t condescend. I’m well familiar with what the current forum software offers. (Have you not noticed my post count, dude?) The point is that the thing that was tested is not the same thing, and the devil is in the details. “Essentially” the same thing is not actually the same thing.

Offline tooki

• Super Contributor
« Reply #73 on: December 06, 2022, 02:26:55 am »
Spell chequer.
But every browser and/or OS has that built in now. Why would a forum need to provide that itself?

• Administrator
    • EEVblog
« Reply #74 on: December 06, 2022, 03:23:29 am »

I wish you'd left it on for more than a few hours so that more of us could have tried it. Most of us literally did not even get the chance to try it once. And you know how it is: people that don't like something are FAR more likely to say something than people who like it.

Re-enabled so people can try it. I'll leave it there for a day or two.

The following users thanked this post: PA0PBZ, thm_w, tooki

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf