Author Topic: Are there any EEVblog server app you'd like to see installed?  (Read 18016 times)

Online ataradov

• Super Contributor
    • Personal site
Re: Are there any EEVblog server app you'd like to see installed?
« Reply #75 on: December 06, 2022, 05:17:40 am »
This editor breaks quoting. Previously you could select one word in the message, press "Quote", and it would quote that one word. Replying to multiple points in the same post was really easy. 

This editor quotes the whole post including the other quotes. It is either a lot of manual editing or get ready to a lot of overquoting.
Alex

The following users thanked this post: Zero999, Ian.M

Offline SiliconWizard

• Super Contributor
« Reply #76 on: December 06, 2022, 05:34:14 am »
Haven't noticed anything much yet apart from the fact that the font in the editor is larger than what it was before. Which I don't mind. It doesn't affect the font size of the posts in threads.

Online ataradov

• Super Contributor
    • Personal site
« Reply #77 on: December 06, 2022, 05:38:59 am »
You just don't quote a lot. If you just reply, it is not a huge difference.

But it also steals the keyboard input focus. If you click on a topic and press a down button to scroll through the page, you will insta jump to the input in the quick-reply box. So you need to additionally click on the text to make it scroll correctly.
Alex

Offline SiliconWizard

• Super Contributor
« Reply #78 on: December 06, 2022, 05:53:16 am »
You just don't quote a lot. If you just reply, it is not a huge difference.

Just trying. It seems to work fine. I never select text first and click on quote though, I quote and just edit the quote while editing my post, so I haven't seen a difference indeed. So all depends on your "workflow".

Offline magic

• Super Contributor
« Reply #79 on: December 06, 2022, 08:15:35 am »
But it also steals the keyboard input focus. If you click on a topic and press a down button to scroll through the page, you will insta jump to the input in the quick-reply box. So you need to additionally click on the text to make it scroll correctly.
It also does some fscked up things with keyboard shortcuts. I am literally unable to type anything, because my browser is configured to interpret certain single-letter keystrokes as commands (like history back/forward, go to next/prior tab, etc). Normally those shortcuts don't work when I'm typing in a text box because otherwise obviously it wouldn't be possible to type anything.

But with this thing, even though I'm typing into a text box, somehow the keystrokes manage to "escape" and trigger browser actions. I suspect they use wrong JS event handler or maybe their handler returns wrong value or some other stupid bug. I don't remember having this problem with the built-in "rich" editor of SMF.

And yes, it always defaults to the idiot mode.

Furthermore, if you switch to text mode and press CTRL-Z, it takes you back to the idiot mode :-DD

And, I tried to submit this post with ALT+S just now and that doesn't work either.
Damn, it's supposed to be ALT+SHIFT+S. Still, it always worked for me without SHIFT somehow :wtf:

edit
It finally posted, yay :phew:

Back to dummy mode in editing again ::)
« Last Edit: December 06, 2022, 09:29:31 am by magic »

Offline tautech

• Super Contributor
  • Taupaki Technologies Ltd. Siglent Distributor NZ.
    • Taupaki Technologies Ltd.
« Reply #80 on: December 06, 2022, 08:20:45 am »
Now it's ON again is the first I had played with it the post before so followed nose that led me here.
It's not so bad if no further functionality is busted and particularly if the 1st attachment bug is finally fixed. :horse:
Complex multi quotes are something I do a bit of so that needs to work properly as does Insert Quote.
Let's try one at random.....nah it's busted. :--

No, let's not change the forum just to break something that worked properly just to fix some other bug !

I used to think Xenforo (fuck this can't even Copy/Paste properly and breaks the font size  |O) was the ducks nuts but familiarity with SMF has me prefer it over Xenforo even though I have 1k posts in a Xenforo forum.
Even the phpBB forum where the TEA chaps now call home is not too bad and certainly not busted like this new SMF plugin.

Edit
Look at all the formatting crap it did in my post. Copy/Paste twice fucked with the font......unbelievable.

« Last Edit: December 06, 2022, 08:24:20 am by tautech »
Avid Rabid Hobbyist
Siglent Youtube channel: https://www.youtube.com/@SiglentVideo/videos

Offline magic

• Super Contributor
« Reply #81 on: December 06, 2022, 08:29:50 am »
There is hope :-+

Block malwarescript from code.jquery.com and it's almost back to normal. Guess I'm going to do it for now.

« Last Edit: December 06, 2022, 08:31:40 am by magic »

Offline magic

• Super Contributor
« Reply #82 on: December 06, 2022, 08:34:14 am »
Haven't noticed anything much yet apart from the fact that the font in the editor is larger than what it was before. Which I don't mind. It doesn't affect the font size of the posts in threads.
It changes to fixed width font in text mode.

The original editor just uses the browser's default font. The text I type appears exactly the same (except line length and line breaks) as it will appear in the post.

No, let's not change the forum just to break something that worked properly just to fix some other bug !
Yeah, I seem to recall the primary complaint being that there is five million posts with [ Attachment Invalid Or Does Not Exist ] , which is not exactly the way their authors intended them to render, and new such things are still being posted every other day by newcomers, followed by an occasional "what am I doing wrong?".

This new plugin is just Dave procrastinating >:D

And by the way.
Some people will guess/know/expect that they are supposed to drag images into the post and their images will get uploaded to imgur and things will be cool (provided imgur doesn't screw somethnig).
Others will try to use attachments and then  |O and :rant: when those don't work as expected.
« Last Edit: December 06, 2022, 09:34:36 am by magic »

Offline pcprogrammer

• Super Contributor
« Reply #83 on: December 06, 2022, 09:49:11 am »
I tried drag and drop an image in this editor but it does not work.

Only in the attachment part you can drag and drop files.

So a big :--

Best fix would be to remove the inline image options from the drop down menu, if possible, and be done with it.

Edit: the inline image option in this editor allows to set the width and height, via a gui so that helps somewhat, but it seems you can't change the settings afterwards. Have to delete and redo to change the width or height.
« Last Edit: December 06, 2022, 09:53:37 am by pcprogrammer »

Offline RoGeorge

• Super Contributor
« Reply #84 on: December 06, 2022, 11:57:50 am »
Fine, disabled. Everyone happy again?  :-BROKE

I'm pretty convinced that no matter what changes I make to the forum, people are not going to be happy.
That only cost me a decent lunch to try.
I wish you'd left it on for more than a few hours so that more of us could have tried it. Most of us literally did not even get the chance to try it once. And you know how it is: people that don't like something are FAR more likely to say something than people who like it.

Re-enabled so people can try it. I'll leave it there for a day or two.
SCEditor (the so called "new" editor) and can be tested online, with all its features maxed and working:
https://www.sceditor.com/

SCEditor is a separate project, just like SQL or NGINX are not part of SMF, some of those features might not work in SMF, or they might interfere with other SMF addons.

Posting the link and suggesting for the curious to try it there first, because 2 years ago I've manged to break my SMF install trying to fix things that were not working as expected in SCEditor.  That was a RPi with a SMF meant as an alternative to a blog-like and/or personal project repo but online, a first time install and could have been entirely my fault.

Now, after 2 years, weird things are still there, random example, when I press enter to add an empty line, a new line is created, but the text in the edit does not scroll up, so to see the empty line I have to use the mouse wheel.  Back then there were many bugs.  Many are are still present.

Block malwarescript from code.jquery.com and it's almost back to normal. Guess I'm going to do it for now.
Can you tell or point me to a link of how to do that, please?  No idea if that's a checkbox in the options here, a Firefox setting, or a sysadmin setting in the firewall.  Using Linux/Firefox, and Stylus to add a custom dark theme.  I don't know much about javascript, CSS, HTML and alike, so don't know what should I search for.
« Last Edit: December 06, 2022, 12:02:34 pm by RoGeorge »

Online ataradov

• Super Contributor
    • Personal site
« Reply #85 on: December 06, 2022, 03:27:14 pm »
I tried blocking the script, but it breaks the quoting again. When you try to quote, it just shows "Loading...." thing.

I guess I just need to start not quote and reply with abstract things, this editor is pure grbage.
Alex

Online nctnico

• Super Contributor
    • NCT Developments
« Reply #86 on: December 06, 2022, 03:57:46 pm »

I'm pretty convinced that no matter what changes I make to the forum, people are not going to be happy.
Just do what people ask: have a fix for inlining images. Maybe setup an image hosting service on your own server (only accessible for EEVblog members). Nobody asked to 'fix' the editor. >:D :-DD
There are small lies, big lies and then there is what is on the screen of your oscilloscope.

The following users thanked this post: PlainName

Offline magic

• Super Contributor
« Reply #87 on: December 06, 2022, 04:00:48 pm »
I tried blocking the script, but it breaks the quoting again. When you try to quote, it just shows "Loading...." thing.
Damn, same here. I suppose it hijacks this functionality so it no longer works standalone.
The bar with formatting options and emoticons disappears too, as I showed.

Now, after 2 years, weird things are still there, random example, when I press enter to add an empty line, a new line is created, but the text in the edit does not scroll up, so to see the empty line I have to use the mouse wheel.  Back then there were many bugs.  Many are are still present.
Just noticed another annoying thing. It keep resizing the text box as lines are added or removed. It also seems to force some maximum limit; I think that previously I could expand this box manually as far as I wanted to.

edit
Yes, blocking JQuery removes this limitation. I can make it several screens long.

Can you tell or point me to a link of how to do that, please?
I have been using the NoScript addon in Firefox since forever to block annoying scripts.
« Last Edit: December 06, 2022, 04:04:01 pm by magic »

The following users thanked this post: RoGeorge

Offline T3sl4co1l

• Super Contributor
  • Expert, Analog Electronics, PCB Layout, EMC
    • Seven Transistor Labs
« Reply #88 on: December 06, 2022, 04:21:19 pm »
Blocking JQuery is likely a very gross method, akin to anesthetic via giant mallet.  It's just a library of shortcut functions, it's nothing malicious in and of itself.  No idea what else might be using it.

Interestingly, I don't see it used on viewing, and I don't recall whether it was used on the original post page.  It may very well be key to the addon's functionality, but keep in mind that won't always be the case.

It definitely sounds like, whoever wrote this one, wasn't aware of a number of use-cases, like shortcuts.  Surely it is supported and a bug report can be made and addressed promptly?

On the note of failing shortcuts, I've only seen one that breaks my flow: TI's E2E board, the textbox breaks Back To Backspace.  So I have to type my comments in Notepad and paste them in...  Well, I can imagine the cluster if one has more shortcuts configured.  Noteworthy that this appears to be implemented by an editable IFRAME (rich), versus a regular old TEXTAREA (plain).  Could also be the plugin needs to mask off editable elements, not just text and input.

Tim
« Last Edit: December 06, 2022, 04:27:45 pm by T3sl4co1l »
Seven Transistor Labs, LLC
Electronic design, from concept to prototype.
Bringing a project to life?  Send me a message!

Offline magic

• Super Contributor
« Reply #89 on: December 06, 2022, 04:35:54 pm »
Interestingly, I don't see it used on viewing, and I don't recall whether it was used on the original post page.  It may very well be key to the addon's functionality, but keep in mind that won't always be the case.
SMF is older than JQuery and it employs very little JS in the first place, so it likely doesn't use it at all.
If it does, it may include its own copy on the forum server instead of fetching it from jquery.com.

Many sites take the second option, though. If that ever goes down, it will be a disaster like the sinking of ImageShack :P

Online tooki

• Super Contributor
« Reply #90 on: December 06, 2022, 07:02:23 pm »
For what it’s worth, having used it to reply to a number of threads, my initial impression is positive. It’s not perfect, but as someone who does the majority of my forum use on mobile devices while commuting (by public transit; don’t worry, I’m not driving a car! ;D), the new editor is WAY better than editing bbcode on mobile, and way better than the old WYSIWYG editor with its hella-fucked quoting and weirdness. 

The following users thanked this post: tautech

Online Zero999

• Super Contributor
« Reply #91 on: December 06, 2022, 08:10:40 pm »
This editor breaks quoting. Previously you could select one word in the message, press "Quote", and it would quote that one word. Replying to multiple points in the same post was really easy.

This editor quotes the whole post including the other quotes. It is either a lot of manual editing or get ready to a lot of overquoting.
This is the problem I have with it. There doesn't appear to be a way to break a quote up into smaller pieces. It's annoying. I just turn disable scripting when I need to do that and turn it back on, when I need to. It's possible to just block it, as others have mentioned, but I'm far too lazy and this method is easy to turn on and off.

I wish you'd left it on for more than a few hours so that more of us could have tried it. Most of us literally did not even get the chance to try it once. And you know how it is: people that don't like something are FAR more likely to say something than people who like it.
Perhaps a poll would be a better idea?

Online ataradov

• Super Contributor
    • Personal site
« Reply #92 on: December 06, 2022, 08:27:48 pm »
I just turn disable scripting when I need to do that and turn it back on, when I need to. It's possible to just block it, as others have mentioned, but I'm far too lazy and this method is easy to turn on and off.
So, we broke a lot of stuff for no clear benefit and now we need to disable the scripts or switch modes.

Disabling scripting is also not ideal, since it still breaks partial quoting. With scripts disabled I still get the whole thing quoted, but it open in a new full reply page instead of adding to the quick reply.
Alex

Online Zero999

• Super Contributor
« Reply #93 on: December 06, 2022, 08:53:04 pm »
I just turn disable scripting when I need to do that and turn it back on, when I need to. It's possible to just block it, as others have mentioned, but I'm far too lazy and this method is easy to turn on and off.
So, we broke a lot of stuff for no clear benefit and now we need to disable the scripts or switch modes.

Disabling scripting is also not ideal, since it still breaks partial quoting. With scripts disabled I still get the whole thing quoted, but it open in a new full reply page instead of adding to the quick reply.
Yes, it's a pain in the bum. Hopefully it'll be unpopular enough for Dave to disable it. The irritating thing is it's easy to enable, for those who want it.

Online tooki

• Super Contributor
« Reply #94 on: December 06, 2022, 09:13:38 pm »
Yes, it's a pain in the bum. Hopefully it'll be unpopular enough for Dave to disable it. The irritating thing is it's easy to enable, for those who want it.
What do you mean? It’s not the same WYSIWYG editor as has been available hitherto.

Online Zero999

• Super Contributor
« Reply #95 on: December 06, 2022, 09:20:23 pm »
What do you mean? It’s not the same WYSIWYG editor as has been available hitherto.
Is it not? I  looks similar to me. To be fair. I didn't use it, that much. What's the difference?

Offline SiliconWizard

• Super Contributor
« Reply #96 on: December 06, 2022, 09:21:48 pm »
This is a very good example of how GUI design is pure hell to support. So many different ways of using it and behaviors depending on individual environments.
In my personal case, I haven't had much problems with the new editor and it has actually fewer issues than the old one. For MY way of using it and MY environment.
Good luck Dave.

The following users thanked this post: tooki

Offline SiliconWizard

• Super Contributor
« Reply #97 on: December 06, 2022, 09:23:43 pm »
It changes to fixed width font in text mode.

Nope, not for me. It's definitely not a fixed font here, it's the same font but with a larger size.
Again don't assume that the issues and behavior you are encountering are the same in any other environment.
More good luck to Dave.

Online tooki

• Super Contributor
« Reply #98 on: December 06, 2022, 09:27:37 pm »
What do you mean? It’s not the same WYSIWYG editor as has been available hitherto.
Is it not? I  looks similar to me. To be fair. I didn't use it, that much. What's the difference?
Of course not. Dave literally wrote that he just installed it. 

The main difference I’m observing is that this new one actually works: it produces bbcode. The old one did weird stuff that, for example, made loony quotes. 

Online Zero999

• Super Contributor
« Reply #99 on: December 06, 2022, 09:32:07 pm »
This is a very good example of how GUI design is pure hell to support. So many different ways of using it and behaviors depending on individual environments.
It also comes down to personal preference to some extent.
In my personal case, I haven't had much problems with the new editor and it has actually fewer issues than the old one.
Try splitting up a post into separate quotes, as I've just done.
For MY way of using it and MY environment.
Good luck Dave.
The ideal solution is to enable users to enable/disable it in their profiles.
Of course not. Dave literally wrote that he just installed it.

The main difference I’m observing is that this new one actually works: it produces bbcode. The old one did weird stuff that, for example, made loony quotes.
There doesn't appear to be a way to split a quote up, so it's useless to me.

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf