Author Topic: Are there any EEVblog server app you'd like to see installed?  (Read 18376 times)

Online SiliconWizard

• Super Contributor
Re: Are there any EEVblog server app you'd like to see installed?
« Reply #100 on: December 06, 2022, 09:35:58 pm »
There doesn't appear to be a way to split a quote up,(...)

There seems to be... at least for me.

(...) so it's useless to me.

I would find it useless as well if I could not.

Yeah, good luck Dave.;D

Online Zero999

• Super Contributor
« Reply #101 on: December 06, 2022, 10:20:02 pm »
There doesn't appear to be a way to split a quote up,(...)

There seems to be... at least for me.

(...) so it's useless to me.

I would find it useless as well if I could not.

Yeah, good luck Dave.;D
How did you do that? It doesn't work for me. I have to use plain text view to do that. If I try it in the editor, it just expands the quote.

Online magic

• Super Contributor
« Reply #102 on: December 06, 2022, 10:30:01 pm »
Nope, not for me. It's definitely not a fixed font here, it's the same font but with a larger size.
OK, I reanabled it to check.

It uses monospace in text mode.
In default mode it's indeed the same font, but larger than normally for some bizarre reason.

How did you do that? It doesn't work for me. I have to use plain text view to do that. If I try it in the editor, it just expands the quote.
This doesn't seem to be working, I think he cheated :P
« Last Edit: December 06, 2022, 10:32:22 pm by magic »

Online Zero999

• Super Contributor
« Reply #103 on: December 06, 2022, 10:34:04 pm »
Nope, not for me. It's definitely not a fixed font here, it's the same font but with a larger size.

In default mode it's indeed the same font, but larger than normally for some bizarre reason.
I wouldn't mind a large font for the forum view, as it's a little small for me on some monitors, but clicking the zoom button is easy enough.

I guess he cheated :P
Exactly. I don't believe him. :P

Online thm_w

• Super Contributor
  • Non-expert
« Reply #104 on: December 06, 2022, 10:45:58 pm »
The number of people splitting up quotes is low, the number splitting up quotes and caring that the context is preserved in the subsequent sub-quotes are lower.
This post is perfectly legible to me: https://www.eevblog.com/forum/chat/are-there-any-eevblog-server-app-youd-like-to-see-installed/msg4566241/#msg4566241

If you care enough then toggle the text editor back to the old mode. Was there some split option on the old one I never used?
Profile -> Modify profile -> Look and Layout ->  Don't show users' signatures

Online SiliconWizard

• Super Contributor
« Reply #105 on: December 06, 2022, 11:04:05 pm »
The number of people splitting up quotes is low, the number splitting up quotes and caring that the context is preserved in the subsequent sub-quotes are lower.

Well.

If you care enough then toggle the text editor back to the old mode. Was there some split option on the old one I never used?

Unless my browser is acting different (I use Firefox which must now be a rare occurence), I'm pretty sure the problem lies in that you're trying to split quotes in a different way than I do, but I've always used the same way even with the old editor. That again would be very typical of the GUI hell that developers have to handle.

Online nctnico

• Super Contributor
    • NCT Developments
« Reply #106 on: December 06, 2022, 11:10:28 pm »

I wouldn't mind a large font for the forum view, as it's a little small for me on some monitors, but clicking the zoom button is easy enough.
It could be bigger indeed but at least it is still readable. Some websites use fonts that don't render well with anti-aliasing switched off resulting in unreadable garbage.
There are small lies, big lies and then there is what is on the screen of your oscilloscope.

Offline ataradov

• Super Contributor
    • Personal site
« Reply #107 on: December 06, 2022, 11:15:17 pm »
Was there some split option on the old one I never used?
There was a way to select a portion of the post you want to quote and it would add just this part as a quote.  You can do this multiple times for different part of the post or even multiple posts.

Alex

The following users thanked this post: Someone, thm_w

Online PlainName

• Super Contributor
« Reply #108 on: December 06, 2022, 11:38:17 pm »
There was a way to select a portion of the post you want to quote and it would add just this part as a quote.  You can do this multiple times for different part of the post or even multiple posts.

Blimey! I just copy the relevant text, hit the quote button, paste. Didn't realise there was a cleverer way to make it minutely easier :)

Online thm_w

• Super Contributor
  • Non-expert
« Reply #109 on: December 06, 2022, 11:53:06 pm »

OK so that is the actual issue I missed, yeah I can see that being irritating if you quote a lot from long posts.
Although I just used the generic "insert quote" button, as I had no idea this was a feature.

Seems like an abandoned mod: https://www.simplemachines.org/community/index.php?topic=170830.0
Profile -> Modify profile -> Look and Layout ->  Don't show users' signatures

Offline ataradov

• Super Contributor
    • Personal site
« Reply #110 on: December 07, 2022, 12:04:10 am »
I may be completely crazy, but I think it just worked and I doubt there was something special installed, so it is possible that it became a standard feature since then. 

In any case, I think I'll just take this as an opportunity to spend less time on the form and do something more useful. I see no point in fighting bad UIs.
Alex

The following users thanked this post: Someone, thm_w, Andy Watson, RoGeorge

Offline Black Phoenix

• Super Contributor
« Reply #111 on: December 07, 2022, 05:05:00 am »
I may be completely crazy, but I think it just worked and I doubt there was something special installed, so it is possible that it became a standard feature since then.

In any case, I think I'll just take this as an opportunity to spend less time on the form and do something more useful. I see no point in fighting bad UIs.

Yes we know, every time something is changed in the forum you don't agree. We know that you only care about electronics and so on, don't have space for anything more than that.

It's not the first time you say you gonna take some time away. Then why don't you take that time and let us who are trying to get something functional while helping Dave to achieve that?
« Last Edit: December 07, 2022, 05:06:56 am by Black Phoenix »

Online magic

• Super Contributor
« Reply #112 on: December 07, 2022, 08:13:07 am »
There is no old mode because this Po$ replaces it, that's the main complaint from everybody :--

Even if you click the "text mode button":
1. it still doesn't revert to the original editor
2. it still doesn't remember the choice, so one would have to do it each time
3. it's still buggy:
a) some people say it breaks "insert quote" :wtf:
b) a stupid limit on the size of the text box
c) a monospace font for some incomprehensible reason
d) a larger font than normally + c) means that b) gets even worse
e) related to b), the cursor turns into "hand" rather than "arrows" over the "resize textbox" corner ???
f) no tooltips over the emoticon buttons, this also applies to WYSYWIG mode
g) press CTRL+Z too many times and it takes you back to WYSYWIG |O

And most of this breakage I have identified in just a few minutes, so I'm sure there is more. I block scripts to castrate this newfangled plugin most of the time; this doesn't restore full operation of the original SMF editor, but at least gets rid of the worst problems introduced by the new one. So far I'm finding new problems each time I re-enable it to check something.

Last but not least, the forum still hasn't been fully cleaned up after the previous round of SMF extension experiments :P
« Last Edit: December 07, 2022, 08:34:38 am by magic »

Online PlainName

• Super Contributor
« Reply #113 on: December 07, 2022, 09:18:49 am »
Just noticed a big difference (possibly because of the scripts that need to be enabled now). If you reply (or quote), do the edit then post the result, previously you could use the browser 'back' to go back to the edit and then the place where you started. Important if you're replying to a post which is a page or so back from the tail.

With the new editor, back takes you to the editor and then a few more tries gets you to the end of the thread. You've lost your position. The edit tab shows up as a separate instance in the browser history (that is, you'll have an entry for the thread, then the post, then another for continuing the thread). Previously, there was just one entry for the thread (since it was only one tab for the entire thing).

I was ambivalent about the other 'features' but this is really annoying.

Edit: screeny to show the effect. Previously there would be one entry for 'Are there any EEVBlog...' and one for 'Editing' (regardless of pages or posts).
« Last Edit: December 07, 2022, 09:21:10 am by PlainName »

Online tautech

• Super Contributor
  • Taupaki Technologies Ltd. Siglent Distributor NZ.
    • Taupaki Technologies Ltd.
« Reply #114 on: December 07, 2022, 09:28:44 am »
FYI, this post https://www.eevblog.com/forum/testgear/siglent-sna5000x-two-and-four-port-vnas-coming/msg4566994/#msg4566994 was made with some Copy/Paste and came out fine when the Toggle View setting and Paste as Plain Text was used. :phew:
W10 and Chrome

Edit
It still broke the URL ! |O
Reply #62 it was.
« Last Edit: December 07, 2022, 09:33:11 am by tautech »
Avid Rabid Hobbyist
Siglent Youtube channel: https://www.youtube.com/@SiglentVideo/videos

Offline Bicurico

• Super Contributor
    • VMA's Satellite Blog
« Reply #115 on: December 07, 2022, 10:45:28 am »
Dave,

While you are messing around with the forum software, there is another feature request I have (apart from better support for placing pictures in posts and being able to put attachments into private messages):

Like it is currently, once you post in any thread, it will be shown forever in "Show new replies to your posts". I use that link a lot, because I can quickly see (mainly on my phone), what new developments happend in the respective topic.

However, there is no way to unsubscribe to this! And over time I have replied in topics in which I no longer have any interest. Some of those are mega active (like the TEA topic - no offense, but I just don't want to have it listed in my unread topics every 10 minutes).

So the request is: make it possible to unsubscribe to topics to which one has replied.

Hope I was able to explain the situation: there is the function to subscribe/unsubscribe to topics (no issue with that) and then there is this automatic lifelong subscription to every topic you replied - this is where I would like to be able to cancel this subscription.

Thanks!

Regards,
Vitor

The following users thanked this post: EEVblog, Whales

Online tautech

• Super Contributor
  • Taupaki Technologies Ltd. Siglent Distributor NZ.
    • Taupaki Technologies Ltd.
« Reply #116 on: December 07, 2022, 10:49:31 am »
Dave,

While you are messing around with the forum software, there is another feature request I have (apart from better support for placing pictures in posts and being able to put attachments into private messages):

Like it is currently, once you post in any thread, it will be shown forever in "Show new replies to your posts". I use that link a lot, because I can quickly see (mainly on my phone), what new developments happend in the respective topic.

However, there is no way to unsubscribe to this! And over time I have replied in topics in which I no longer have any interest. Some of those are mega active (like the TEA topic - no offense, but I just don't want to have it listed in my unread topics every 10 minutes).

So the request is: make it possible to unsubscribe to topics to which one has replied.

Hope I was able to explain the situation: there is the function to subscribe/unsubscribe to topics (no issue with that) and then there is this automatic lifelong subscription to every topic you replied - this is where I would like to be able to cancel this subscription.

Thanks!

Regards,
Vitor
The Ignore topics feature was added a while back.
Here's how to use it:
https://www.eevblog.com/forum/chat/forum-update-new-ignore-topics-feature/

Avid Rabid Hobbyist
Siglent Youtube channel: https://www.youtube.com/@SiglentVideo/videos

Offline Bicurico

• Super Contributor
    • VMA's Satellite Blog
« Reply #117 on: December 07, 2022, 11:08:34 am »
Thanks!!!

I somehow missed this and it does work!

Online RoGeorge

• Super Contributor
« Reply #118 on: December 07, 2022, 11:10:02 am »
As a workaround for very verbose topics, I use the ignore topic checkbox (browsing from a desktop, don't know if that checkbox is available for the mobile theme, too).

Found another weirdness in the reply editor, when at the end of a line and press dell, it deletes a few characters from the next line, then it stops deleting (at random), so I end up with only half of word deleted, or I have to click with the mouse on the next row, and complete the deletion of that row.

Now I must check visually if a Delete really deleted the next letter or not.  And the text jumps around, and the edit window keeps resizing itself.

About deleting, too, Backspace always acts unpredictable, sometimes it deletes many spaces+the last char, some other time only deletes a space.

Got enough fun unexpected behavior, maybe I was spending too much time anyway on EEVblog. 
See you in the future, bye!

Offline EEVblogTopic starter

• Administrator
    • EEVblog
« Reply #119 on: December 07, 2022, 11:32:59 am »
The new editor has been disabled again. The old one is back.

Online PA0PBZ

• Super Contributor
« Reply #120 on: December 07, 2022, 11:43:42 am »
The new editor has been disabled again. The old one is back.

The attachment options are still there but broken, that was the reason I started this whole conversation.
Uploaded the image with the "Inline full-size image" option and this is the result.
Please remove the plugin that is giving the options if you can't get it working.

Keyboard error: Press F1 to continue.

Online coppercone2

• Super Contributor
  • $
« Reply #121 on: December 07, 2022, 11:57:14 am »
I think marquee text is a goal post for progress

Offline ataradov

• Super Contributor
    • Personal site
« Reply #122 on: December 07, 2022, 03:10:06 pm »
Quoting is still broken for me. If I press "Quote" button, it would just show "Loading...." forever. So, it was not removed cleanly.
Alex

Online PA0PBZ

• Super Contributor
« Reply #123 on: December 07, 2022, 03:41:11 pm »
Quoting is still broken for me. If I press "Quote" button, it would just show "Loading...." forever. So, it was not removed cleanly.

Fine for me as you can see above  :)
Keyboard error: Press F1 to continue.

Offline ataradov

• Super Contributor
    • Personal site
« Reply #124 on: December 07, 2022, 03:47:05 pm »
This is strange. I just tried in a new session with a different browser and I still see the same behavior. All adblocks are also disabled.
Alex

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf