Author Topic: Are there any EEVblog server app you'd like to see installed?  (Read 18563 times)

Offline magic

• Super Contributor
Re: Are there any EEVblog server app you'd like to see installed?
« Reply #125 on: December 07, 2022, 04:31:51 pm »
OK, can anyone tell me if this thing has always been here or only in the last few days? :-//

I haven't noticed it before, so I assumed it's new. It interacts poorly with the traditional "(more attachments)" function, although it's not a disaster.

Online PlainName

• Super Contributor
« Reply #126 on: December 07, 2022, 04:53:56 pm »
OK, can anyone tell me if this thing has always been here or only in the last few days?

It's new. Thought it was part of the new editor but apparently not (since that's been reverted).

Offline magic

• Super Contributor
« Reply #127 on: December 07, 2022, 05:41:39 pm »
I noticed it while the editor was disabled for the first time.
I tested it here with a somewhat ::) outcome.

Online tautech

• Super Contributor
  • Taupaki Technologies Ltd. Siglent Distributor NZ.
    • Taupaki Technologies Ltd.
« Reply #128 on: December 07, 2022, 07:57:14 pm »
OK, can anyone tell me if this thing has always been here or only in the last few days? :-//

I haven't noticed it before, so I assumed it's new. It interacts poorly with the traditional "(more attachments)" function, although it's not a disaster.
Still there however I won't use it until it's well proven not to have bugs !
Even the 1st attachment has had issues for a couple years so I won't use that bugger either and instead (more attachments) for which you only have 9 so complex posts require planning.

Adding attachments within text is easy when you know how and use the 2 forum editors correctly.
Here's a rundown:
Make post in normal way leaving spaces within text where attachments will be and load attachments in the order they will be used so to have the attachment thumbnails at the foot of the post like normal.
Where the first attachment will be add the IMG flag and note an empty flag can only be used once unpopulated with a image URL in any post. SMF strips more than a single one away.

Then post, then use Edit and first Copy/Paste the IMG flag into every place you wish to show attachments and one by one Copy/Paste each attachment URL into each IMG flag and press Save.
Only in the Edit mode can we collect the attachment URL's to paste into the IMG flags.

We can do similar with dual monitors after making a post by collecting each attachment URL and adding them into the IMG flag in another window in Modify or Edit mode.

Doesn't take long to get quite slick at it and for just 3 or 4 images you can get it done before the edit time flag appears at the foot of the post.
« Last Edit: December 07, 2022, 08:14:48 pm by tautech »
Avid Rabid Hobbyist
Siglent Youtube channel: https://www.youtube.com/@SiglentVideo/videos

Offline pcprogrammer

• Super Contributor
« Reply #129 on: December 07, 2022, 08:02:19 pm »
A thing with the new image drag and drop is that it remembers an added image when you decide not to post your post, and then on a next post it comes with a warning that you still have an attachment selected.

Don't know if it will be remembered after closing the browser and restarting the computer, but attached is the warning I got.

Offline magic

• Super Contributor
« Reply #130 on: December 07, 2022, 08:19:03 pm »
They are uploaded to the server instantly so I'm sure they will stay there at least for a while.
This happens to files dragged into the box and to files selected in the first attachment line.

Files selected in further lines (after clicking "(more attachments)") are only uploaded when you hit "post".

Nevertheless, they appear before the former on the list :-//

Even the 1st attachment has had issues for a couple years so I won't use that bugger either and instead (more attachments) for which you only have 9 so complex posts require planning.
What sort of problems? I have never encountered anything weird until two days ago.

Most of the time I probably only upload one attachment, but it certainly can be two or three sometimes and my record is eleven.

The following users thanked this post: pcprogrammer

Online SiliconWizard

• Super Contributor
« Reply #131 on: December 07, 2022, 09:00:07 pm »
The new editor has been disabled again. The old one is back.

Dang. I actually prefered the new one. :-DD
Oh well, that was expected. Again GUI stuff is horrendous to support and for web-based stuff, there's so much variation depending on OS, browsers, add-ons and so on that it's almost impossible to please everyone.

Offline Muttley Snickers

• Supporter
  • Cursed: 679 times
« Reply #132 on: December 07, 2022, 09:54:46 pm »
If at all possible I would like to see the edit time window extended, I really despise seeing the "Last Edit " footer in a post just because I misspelt a word and needed to make a quick edit. This also applies to posts where more time is required to dick around with image insertion.

I quite often make a post then realise afterwards that something was wrong so rather than be cursed for all of eternity with a last edit notice I simply quote the post then edit it and post again, I then remove the prior post and hope that nobody else has had time to quote it.

Some may not be aware that when you make a post there is a short time window in which you can modify and edit the post without incurring the last edit notice, I don't know how long it is exactly, ten seconds or so at a guess.

<< last edit: Today at 00:00:00 am by Muttley >>   ::)

Offline nctnico

• Super Contributor
    • NCT Developments
« Reply #133 on: December 07, 2022, 10:08:04 pm »
I quite often make a post then realise afterwards that something was wrong so rather than be cursed for all of eternity with a last edit notice I simply quote the post then edit it and post again, I then remove the prior post and hope that nobody else has had time to quote it.

Some may not be aware that when you make a post there is a short time window in which you can modify and edit the post without incurring the last edit notice, I don't know how long it is exactly, ten seconds or so at a guess.
I never had that problem but then again, I edit the existing post (which I do quite often) and not delete & create a new post.
There are small lies, big lies and then there is what is on the screen of your oscilloscope.

Online tautech

• Super Contributor
« Reply #134 on: December 07, 2022, 10:09:32 pm »
If at all possible I would like to see the edit time window extended, I really despise seeing the "Last Edit " footer in a post just because I misspelt a word and needed to make a quick edit. This also applies to posts where more time is required to dick around with image insertion.

:-DD
Thanks as always for cheering us up.  :-+

30s at least as I often notice something needing correction and generally can do it without raising the edited flag.  :phew:
Avid Rabid Hobbyist

Online tautech

• Super Contributor
« Reply #135 on: December 07, 2022, 10:18:10 pm »
What sort of problems? I have never encountered anything weird until two days ago.

Most of the time I probably only upload one attachment, but it certainly can be two or three sometimes and my record is eleven.
For a while the 1st attachment was somehow appearing in other posts one made like it was still somewhere in the system and linked to you and came out when you made a subsequent post.
Darn annoying it was as you always had to edit posts to delete it and for some time the only workaround was not to use the first attachment. Bit me a few times so just skipped the first attachment and all was well.

In the new UI it seems a warning is issued that an unused attachment is available and you have options of what you can do with it. That's a great improvement but unfortunately the rest of the new UI is so busted we can't really use it until it's somewhat improved.
However, thumbs up to Dave for giving us the change to try it and maybe know what's coming once its bugs are sorted.
Avid Rabid Hobbyist

The following users thanked this post: MK14

Online Zero999

• Super Contributor
« Reply #136 on: December 07, 2022, 10:42:40 pm »

30s at least as I often notice something needing correction and generally can do it without raising the edited flag.  :phew:
I didn't think there was a time. I thought the edit flag only appeared, if someone saw the post before you edited it. This is based on the fact that sometimes it appears I can spend a while editing, where as others, it appears immediately. If so, that makes sense and it shouldn't be changed.

The following users thanked this post: thm_w

Online tautech

• Super Contributor
« Reply #137 on: December 07, 2022, 10:48:54 pm »

I didn't think there was a time. I thought the edit flag only appeared, if someone saw the post before you edited it. This is based on the fact that sometimes it appears I can spend a while editing, where as others, it appears immediately. If so, that makes sense and it shouldn't be changed.
Yes, maybe it does work like that IDK but when flagged as edited, a post also gets reflagged as New even though you may have already read it.

Edit to check the editor works as mentioned in reply #140
« Last Edit: December 08, 2022, 12:53:06 am by tautech »
Avid Rabid Hobbyist

Offline thm_w

• Super Contributor
  • Non-expert
« Reply #138 on: December 08, 2022, 12:05:56 am »

Valid suggestion, but, I don't really care if the notice is there or not when reading posts.
I suspect most don't?

edit: you could probably write a script to strip it, if you really wanted.
« Last Edit: December 08, 2022, 12:07:47 am by thm_w »
Profile -> Modify profile -> Look and Layout ->  Don't show users' signatures

Online ataradov

• Super Contributor
    • Personal site
« Reply #139 on: December 08, 2022, 12:12:10 am »
I do try to fix typos fast to avoid this message, but it is really not a big deal. Also I was under the assumption that it is not time based, but based on whether message was seen by someone else since the original post.

Also, am I really the only one with the quote button broken?

Test Edit.

Also, if I press the quick edit button, I see inline editor, but when I press "Save" it just discards the edit and throws me to the beginning of the thread. Normal "Modify" of the post works fine. Is this a server synchronization issue of some sort?
« Last Edit: December 08, 2022, 12:17:34 am by ataradov »
Alex

Offline thm_w

• Super Contributor
  • Non-expert
« Reply #140 on: December 08, 2022, 12:37:46 am »
Also, if I press the quick edit button, I see inline editor, but when I press "Save" it just discards the edit and throws me to the beginning of the thread. Normal "Modify" of the post works fine. Is this a server synchronization issue of some sort?

Yeah, the quick editor does not work now.
Some sort of vestigial feature of the new editor no?
Profile -> Modify profile -> Look and Layout ->  Don't show users' signatures

Online tautech

• Super Contributor
« Reply #141 on: December 08, 2022, 12:54:41 am »

Yeah, the quick editor does not work now.
Some sort of vestigial feature of the new editor no?
It does.
See recent edit to reply #137.

W10 and Chrome.
Avid Rabid Hobbyist

Online ataradov

• Super Contributor
    • Personal site
« Reply #142 on: December 08, 2022, 01:23:12 am »
I think this forum runs on two replicated servers for load balancing and redundancy or something like this.

Because neither quick edit nor quote works for me. On Win/Linux and on Chrome/Firefox with clean profile and cookies.

So may be replication went wrong and different people get served different code? I'm pretty sure the stuff that is broken is all related to JavaScript only.
Alex

Online tautech

• Super Contributor
« Reply #143 on: December 08, 2022, 01:37:14 am »
I think this forum runs on two replicated servers for load balancing and redundancy or something like this.

Because neither quick edit nor quote works for me. On Win/Linux and on Chrome/Firefox with clean profile and cookies.

So may be replication went wrong and different people get served different code? I'm pretty sure the stuff that is broken is all related to JavaScript only.
Yet the only issues I saw was with the new UI and now everything seems back to normal without clearing cookies, reboots or whatever.....it's just working as it should, switch new UI on and  :-- then back to old UI and  :-+.

No Ad blockers or any other crap just normal W10 and Chrome.
Avid Rabid Hobbyist

Offline magic

• Super Contributor
« Reply #144 on: December 08, 2022, 08:17:02 am »
The ninja-edit timeout is precisely 90 seconds.
I have a bunch of posts edited in the 91st second so it would be nice if this could be raised retrospectively to 100 seconds :-DD

For a while the 1st attachment was somehow appearing in other posts one made like it was still somewhere in the system and linked to you and came out when you made a subsequent post.
Darn annoying it was as you always had to edit posts to delete it and for some time the only workaround was not to use the first attachment. Bit me a few times so just skipped the first attachment and all was well.
This seems suspiciously similar to the weirdness described by pcprogrammer.

I'm not 100% sure how it was earlier, but currently attachments uploaded in the first line are uploaded immediately (and it's possible to upload a few, they appear as a list below the first upload line). If you don't post, they stay around and attach to the next post ::)

Maybe something similar was already happening earlier. Wasn't it a fault of the "inline attachment" plugin that Dave installed and later disabled? Maybe it still is? I recall Dave saying that he has updated this plugin to the latest version a few days ago. Maybe that's where the drag&drop box comes from, too.

At any rate, I haven't had such problems. :-//

But... I tend to block 3rd party scripts, which includes JQuery downloaded from code.jquery.com. So it's possible that this buggy plugin simply never worked for me and that's how I stayed out of trouble 8) Indeed, if I block scripts from this domain now, the drag&drop box disappears, and the 1st attachment line works for me like in traditional SMF. The only difference is that I still see the "inline thumbnail/image" options, which insert [ Attachment Invalid Or Does Not Exist ] into my post and then nothing happens because it's all broken as we know.

The following users thanked this post: tautech

Offline EEVblogTopic starter

• Administrator
    • EEVblog
« Reply #145 on: December 09, 2022, 10:45:54 am »

It does.

Offline magic

• Super Contributor
« Reply #146 on: December 09, 2022, 11:27:59 am »
Hi Dave,

Did you do any software changes to the forum in recent days, besides adding/removing the new editor and upgrading that old plugin for inline image attachments?

1. I noticed some changes in attachment functions and at least one member confirmed that they occurred recently. We wonder where they came from.
2. There exist some minor oddities/inconveniences related to those changes and I think I understand how it works and why the weird things happen.
3. They look similar to what I remember as the problems which caused the inline attachments plugin to get patched/blocked/disabled/neutered two years ago, i.e.
- attachments may appear in different order than some old time SMF users could naively expect
- attachments may appear in future posts; happens if you don't submit the post for which they were uploaded

Offline RoGeorge

• Super Contributor
« Reply #147 on: December 09, 2022, 12:44:06 pm »
Something else noticed today, quick-edited some typo and the post remained unchanged.

Seen this before in the last few days, when only the full edit changes were applied (edited from the 'Modify' button in the top-right of the post), but not the changes made with the bottom-right quick edit icon.

LATER MODIFIED
===============
Yep, still happens, and after submit, it throws me at the first post from page one of this topic, instead of coming back to this place where I've just submitted from quick-edit (the bottom icon edit).

Modify from the upper button takes effect and returns to the last post here, as it should.
« Last Edit: December 09, 2022, 12:50:07 pm by RoGeorge »

Offline Whales

• Super Contributor
    • Halestrom
« Reply #148 on: December 09, 2022, 12:52:28 pm »
Thankyou for the efforts with image inlining, I hope you find a solution.  Having to post, find attachment URLs and then edit is a pain compared to what it used to be with (attachimg=x).  Not to mention all of the old topics this would fix.

Imgur will eventually go down, all image hosts have gone down or decided to drop old/free images over the years.  I've been part of several forums that have lost all user content because of this.  I know storage and bandwidth cost you Dave, but even an ugly super-aggressive image resizer addon config is better than using imgur.  IIRC this forum already has one (and it's not the best, sometimes it recompresses my images to be larger than what I uploaded).  Can it be configured to (eg) enforce a maximum image resolution of 1.5Kx1.5K?

The following users thanked this post: Ian.M

Online PlainName

• Super Contributor
« Reply #149 on: December 09, 2022, 01:27:12 pm »
1. I noticed some changes in attachment functions and at least one member confirmed that they occurred recently. We wonder where they came from.

That was me? I later found that the feature may have been there all along, and I just started seeing it when enabling the javascript for the new editor and then not getting rid of all the scripts when that editor was removed. Rather, I blocked jquery.com but on the viewing page, not the editing page  :palm:

I can confirm that getting the blockers back to how they used to be, as opposed to how I thought they used to be, gets rid of the attachment drag'n'drop too.

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf