Author Topic: Are there any EEVblog server app you'd like to see installed?  (Read 18477 times)

Online ataradov

• Super Contributor
    • Personal site
Re: Are there any EEVblog server app you'd like to see installed?
« Reply #150 on: December 09, 2022, 05:20:02 pm »
Yes, this modification issue is exactly what I've described before.

And quoting is still broken for me.
Alex

Offline magic

• Super Contributor
« Reply #151 on: December 09, 2022, 05:42:52 pm »
Damn, three years and I never noticed that there is a quick edit :-DD
A weird thing about it is that if I cancel the edit, it won't let me do it again without reloading. I wonder if this is normal or also a recent breakage?

edit
Yes, it's broken. Throws me back to page one, the post remains unmodified.

And quoting is still broken for me.
Actually, what do you mean by that?
Selecting a single paragraph before clicking "quote" is something I hoped would work but it never did for me. Maybe a script blocking issue ::) but I'm not sure.
Clicking "quote" on somebody's post works just fine here. Ditto "insert quote" when writing a reply.

IIRC this forum already has one (and it's not the best, sometimes it recompresses my images to be larger than what I uploaded).
Really? That doesn't look like a great idea, except as a desperate measure to save bandwidth, with correspondingly desperate output quality settings, which would likely avoid the problem you described.

Can it be configured to (eg) enforce a maximum image resolution of 1.5Kx1.5K?
Do it to images of original size 4032×3024, these are the worst offenders if you know what I mean >:D

1. I noticed some changes in attachment functions and at least one member confirmed that they occurred recently. We wonder where they came from.

That was me? I later found that the feature may have been there all along, and I just started seeing it when enabling the javascript for the new editor and then not getting rid of all the scripts when that editor was removed. Rather, I blocked jquery.com but on the viewing page, not the editing page  :palm:
Yes, that was you. Well, that's one mystery less.

Actually, I remember that the special behavior of the first upload line had existed at some point in 2020, but I don't remember the drag&drop box. Maybe I'm wrong, though. Maybe the box annoyed me and caused me to block JQuery in the first place ::)

Still, I remember people complaining about attachment reordering and can't help but wonder if it's the same problem that I found, which is really not a serious problem, easy to avoid.

edit
I found one of the old threads about attachment bugs. It definitely is not the problems I found, but something much worse.
https://www.eevblog.com/forum/chat/attention-eevblog-admins-attachments-mixup/
« Last Edit: December 09, 2022, 06:19:15 pm by magic »

Online ataradov

• Super Contributor
    • Personal site
« Reply #152 on: December 09, 2022, 05:51:28 pm »
Actually, what do you mean by that?
At this point even the whole post quote is broken. If I press "Quote" button on the post, I get a white "Loading..." banner on the top and nothing happens.

This happens on multiple platforms with completely clean browser profiles with no extensions or adblocks installed.
Alex

Offline magic

• Super Contributor
« Reply #153 on: December 09, 2022, 06:07:47 pm »
I only get similar banner when "quick edit" loads. It also appeared with the experimental editor in some specific situations, but I don't remember what they were.

Clicking "quote" on your post simply redirects my browser to
https://www.eevblog.com/forum/index.php?action=post;quote=4571524;topic=354601.150
which brings up full normal editor, with a quote of your post, recent messages at the bottom of the page and so on.

Maybe a matter of profile settings? I just tried it on a different browser in incognito. It really works for me.

edit
By the way, what happens if you simply click this link? I can click it and it brings me to the same place again. I suppose I could write another response that way and it would work just fine.
« Last Edit: December 09, 2022, 06:18:39 pm by magic »

Offline pcprogrammer

• Super Contributor
« Reply #154 on: December 09, 2022, 07:06:32 pm »
At this point even the whole post quote is broken. If I press "Quote" button on the post, I get a white "Loading..." banner on the top and nothing happens. .......

Works fine for me. I have a adblocker running, which does not remove the ads on this site, so it is not a good one, but no script blocking. Browser is Firefox 88 on Linux Ubuntu.

Same for the "insert quote" option when making a post.

Online tautech

• Super Contributor
  • Taupaki Technologies Ltd. Siglent Distributor NZ.
    • Taupaki Technologies Ltd.
« Reply #155 on: December 09, 2022, 07:19:55 pm »
Hmm forum seems to work perfectly fine here on W10 and Chrome and as someone mentioned the Attachment bug seems now gone.  :phew:
Got brave and used the 1st attachment without issue yesterday.

Seems ataradov is having the biggest issues and no one similar so what's radically different with his setup ?
Have you tried on different devices, say a phone or tablet ?
Avid Rabid Hobbyist
Siglent Youtube channel: https://www.youtube.com/@SiglentVideo/videos

Online ataradov

• Super Contributor
    • Personal site
« Reply #156 on: December 09, 2022, 08:10:10 pm »
Yes, this is related to the "Use quick reply on topic display:" in the profile settings. There are 3 options. First two redirect to a full page editor. The last one (which I use) normally just populates the quick reply box below the thread with a quoted text. This one is broken now.

The first two options do work, but they just redirect to the new page with a full editor.

So, from what I can tell any functionality that relies on javascript is broken (quick inline edit and adding the quoted text on the same page).
Alex

The following users thanked this post: thm_w, magic

Online tautech

• Super Contributor
« Reply #157 on: December 09, 2022, 08:17:13 pm »
Yes, this is related to the "Use quick reply on topic display:" in the profile settings. There are 3 options. First two redirect to a full page editor. The last one (which I use) normally just populates the quick reply box below the thread with a quoted text. This one is broken now.

The first two options do work, but they just redirect to the new page with a full editor.

So, from what I can tell any functionality that relies on javascript is broken (quick inline edit and adding the quoted text on the same page).
Just done at least a couple of Quotes and Insert Quotes, no issues at all....and another just now ! < Edit.
W10 and Chrome.
Avid Rabid Hobbyist

Online ataradov

• Super Contributor
    • Personal site
« Reply #158 on: December 09, 2022, 08:21:55 pm »
Check in your profile what do you have set for "Use quick reply on topic display:"?

There is not even "Insert Quote" on in the interface I'm talking about. When I normally press "Quote" I don't get a redirect to the new page with an editor, the Quick-Reply box below the thread just gets filled with the quote.

If I clock "Modify" on the exiting message, I do get a separate "Modify message"  page, which also works.
Alex

Offline magic

• Super Contributor
« Reply #159 on: December 09, 2022, 09:25:49 pm »
Nailed it, it's quoting to quick reply which is broken. I don't even need to enable quick reply by default to reproduce it, all I have to do is expand the "quick reply" box at the bottom of the page and then click "quote". I get "Loading..." and nothing happens.

IIRC this forum already has one (and it's not the best, sometimes it recompresses my images to be larger than what I uploaded).
Really? That doesn't look like a great idea, except as a desperate measure to save bandwidth, with correspondingly desperate output quality settings, which would likely avoid the problem you described.
Crap, it really does it. So that's why text on one of my recent uploads ended up looking like garbage. Will need to keep it in mind in the future.

BTW, that's buggy too, because the reported attachment size is the original file size. Then I download the attachment from the forum and it's different size. At least this makes it easy to find out which attachments have been molested. It started somewhere in late 2020 or early 2021.

The attachment here is almost 50% larger than I uploaded it, but it was ridiculously compressed in the first place. I sweated to preserve and process it loslessly for that reason, well... ::)
« Last Edit: December 09, 2022, 09:31:27 pm by magic »

Online tautech

• Super Contributor
« Reply #160 on: December 09, 2022, 09:33:35 pm »
Check in your profile what do you have set for "Use quick reply on topic display:"?
I do but never ever use it. Never.
It's there's by default.

I guess it saves some tiny amount of online BW not that that worries me with the data plan I'm on.
Avid Rabid Hobbyist

Online ataradov

• Super Contributor
    • Personal site
« Reply #161 on: December 09, 2022, 10:32:16 pm »
You do what? This setting has 3 options, and the first two are working as expected. The last one is broken.

I guess it saves some tiny amount of online BW not that that worries me with the data plan I'm on.
It is not about BW. I was just reading the forum in chronological order, then I want to reply and I get redirected to a page with posts in a reverse order for no reason.

Plus it all worked fine before all the changes.
Alex

Online tautech

• Super Contributor
« Reply #162 on: December 10, 2022, 12:17:32 am »
You do what? This setting has 3 options, and the first two are working as expected. The last one is broken.
Oh does it, never knew.
It is not about BW. I was just reading the forum in chronological order, then I want to reply and I get redirected to a page with posts in a reverse order for no reason.

Plus it all worked fine before all the changes.
I guess we all use forums differently, for you it's busted whereas here it's working just fine.

My advice is to just document what doesn't work for you and maybe ask others to check on them too so Dave can have a list of things he need watch for fixes.
Avid Rabid Hobbyist

Offline Muttley Snickers

• Supporter
  • Cursed: 679 times
« Reply #163 on: December 10, 2022, 12:31:56 am »
Posting a snapshot of the profile settings in question also helps immensely, that way there is no confusion and everyone will be on the same page.   :)

Online ataradov

• Super Contributor
    • Personal site
« Reply #164 on: December 10, 2022, 12:32:45 am »
We can set aside posting issue, since it clearly depends on the configuration and workflow. This issue would be related to the issue with editing your own posts in place. If that's solved, the quoting issue would be solved too.

And modify issue is easy to reproduce - just click on the "Modify Message" icon at the bottom left of your own post, do any change and click Save. Your change will be discarded and you will be redirected to the first page of the thread.
Alex

Offline PlainName

• Super Contributor
« Reply #165 on: December 10, 2022, 01:23:15 am »
just click on the "Modify Message" icon at the bottom left of your own post

That could be significant - the modify button is upper right for me.

Offline PlainName

• Super Contributor
« Reply #166 on: December 10, 2022, 01:27:04 am »
Ah! Now I get a modify icon. And that's a right pain to use - can't exit from it, for a start - so I'm glad I've never noticed that before and always use the upper right one :)

Online ataradov

• Super Contributor
    • Personal site
« Reply #167 on: December 10, 2022, 01:31:05 am »
Yeah, but once you get used to it, it is pretty convenient, especially for quick typo fixes.
Alex

Online tautech

• Super Contributor
« Reply #168 on: December 10, 2022, 02:46:25 am »
Yeah, but once you get used to it, it is pretty convenient, especially for quick typo fixes.
Very, actually and I've used it several times to fix typos already today.

But and this is a big but, it offers functionality available nowhere else on the forum.
This I mentioned a few posts back with the way that's most convenient to imbed uploaded images within a post.
With using the plain Modify button all upload image thumbnails are visible as are each of their filenames which if right clicked and Copy URL selected one can imbed them anywhere within your post between IMG flags of course.

The only other way to quickly accomplish such is to have 2 tabs open, one that you've posted with image URL's visible and another to do the embedding edits within.

All that needs be done is to have a single IMG flag to Copy/Paste within your post then Copy/Paste image/attachment URL's into them. Once you have this polished it's easy to embed 3 or 4 images before the Edited flag that Muttley despises arises.  :P
Avid Rabid Hobbyist

The following users thanked this post: magic

Online ataradov

• Super Contributor
    • Personal site
« Reply #169 on: December 10, 2022, 07:52:10 pm »
I did a bit of poking around and the issue is indeed in JS. The issue is in the file https://www.eevblog.com/forum/Themes/default/scripts/topic.js.pagespeed.ce.vP1zvJSlgR.js

There are many instances of code like this
Code: [Select]
if (typeof smfpacks_editor !== undefined)
sceditor.create($smfpacksEditor('#quick_editor').get(0), getEditorOptions());

And the issue is with a comparison "if (typeof smfpacks_editor !== undefined)". In some cases they are using 'undefined' (quoted) and in some cases just plain unquoted undefined.

typeof smfpacks_editor is quoted 'undefined', so this comparison is true and it tries to create sceditor, which is not defined.

Given the name of the file, I assume it is dynamically generated based on the installed plugins. So either regeneration did not go well or the code is included even if the plugin is installed, but not activated.

JS is such a garbage language.

And I just tried to manually inject corrected versions of the two broken functions and it all works. This edit is done in an embedded quick editor. So, unless this gets fixed by Dave, injecting custom JS would be a solution.
« Last Edit: December 10, 2022, 07:58:35 pm by ataradov »
Alex

The following users thanked this post: T3sl4co1l

Offline magic

• Super Contributor
« Reply #170 on: December 13, 2022, 11:05:34 am »
Just FYI, another attachment 20% larger than uploaded; PNGs aren't spared either ;)
I wonder if it could be pushed to 50~100% with a carefully optimized JPEG.

https://www.eevblog.com/forum/eda/lm358-failed-after-30-minutes-and-gets-hot-in-4-20ma-pump-circuit/msg4578568/#msg4578568

Online tautech

• Super Contributor
« Reply #171 on: December 13, 2022, 11:32:02 am »
Just FYI, another attachment 20% larger than uploaded; PNGs aren't spared either ;)
I wonder if it could be pushed to 50~100% with a carefully optimized JPEG.

https://www.eevblog.com/forum/eda/lm358-failed-after-30-minutes-and-gets-hot-in-4-20ma-pump-circuit/msg4578568/#msg4578568
There was a lot of image size manipulation in the TEA thread where probably member menmeth was the master at it.
Just been there to find an example of which there are many buried within that monster thread and came back with this one that has the image size embedded a little smaller than just embedding a thumbnail.
[ img  height=250 ] url link[ /img ] < edited for visibility. Remove any/all spaces.
Proportions remained much the same as I believe these tricks autoscale H&W to scale.
I believe the units are just the image pixel count but others more knowledgeable might know better.
« Last Edit: December 13, 2022, 11:33:44 am by tautech »
Avid Rabid Hobbyist

Offline JPortici

• Super Contributor
« Reply #172 on: December 13, 2022, 12:31:28 pm »
FYI i can't quote from the quick reply either, it just displays loading forever

Online ataradov

• Super Contributor
    • Personal site
« Reply #173 on: December 13, 2022, 03:30:39 pm »
Yes, it is still broken, and it does not look like there any progress in fixing it.
Alex

Online ataradov

• Super Contributor
    • Personal site
« Reply #174 on: December 17, 2022, 11:58:53 pm »
So, I guess the new bugs are not going to be fixed?  And then people ask why I oppose random changes like this. Stuff always breaks.
Alex

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf