Author Topic: ARM taken over by Japan's SoftBank  (Read 14599 times)

Offline KjeltTopic starter

• Super Contributor
ARM taken over by Japan's SoftBank
« on: July 18, 2016, 05:22:54 am »
Just read that ARM will be probably taken over by the japanese softbank ( never heard of them myself) for 32 billion $!
Curious what that will mean for the future, hopefully cheap Keil development licenses for non commercial development  :)

http://www.reuters.com/article/us-arm-holdings-m-a-softbank-group-idUSKCN0ZY03B
« Last Edit: July 18, 2016, 05:25:40 am by Kjelt »

Offline batteksystem

• Regular Contributor
    • My ebay store
Re: ARM taken over by Japan's SoftBank
« Reply #1 on: July 18, 2016, 05:38:45 am »
Softbank is basically an IT company, not related to embedded development. I am not really sure what they are after and how they could benefit from such a deal.

Offline kaz911

• Super Contributor
« Reply #2 on: July 18, 2016, 05:43:55 am »
Well - my wife works for SoftBank :) and they have a plan. Masa-San (The CEO/founder/owner) is the Japanese version of Bill Gates - just more down to earth. :) He actually has an engineering background and is very smart and down to earth. I think he feels best with his sleeves rolled up ready to solve problems.

SoftBank is a huge Japanese owned company - that among others owns SoftBank Mobile in Japan, Sprint in the US, 28% of Alibaba, Yahoo Japan (very profitable)  and a heck of a lot of other companies. They also own the company behind Pepper the robot that has been a lot in the press. Masa-San negotiated exclusivity on iPhone from Apple for the first ? 5 years for Japan.

Masa-San has developed the hardware/ideas that is currently restructuring the network at Sprint - and Mr. Masa-San often goes out and does implementations and debugging  with the engineers from Sprint. Sprint has a bad rep - but is slowly getting each " state " under control with the new investments.

[edit] According to Forbes - SoftBank is currently #69th on Forbes Global 2000 list.
« Last Edit: July 18, 2016, 05:48:58 am by kaz911 »

The following users thanked this post: 3db

Offline RogerRowland

• Regular Contributor
    • Personal web site
« Reply #3 on: July 18, 2016, 07:17:07 am »
Well, ARM is just 5 minutes down the road from where I currently work, and they suggest that if the shareholders agree to the takeover that the UK workforce will be doubled. Maybe I have one last career change left in me .... hmmmm ....

Offline daqq

• Super Contributor
    • My site
« Reply #4 on: July 18, 2016, 07:53:46 am »
Well crap.
Believe it or not, pointy haired people do exist!
+++Divide By Cucumber Error. Please Reinstall Universe And Reboot +++

Offline DmitryL

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #5 on: July 18, 2016, 09:12:50 am »
Well, ARM is just 5 minutes down the road from where I currently work, and they suggest that if the shareholders agree to the takeover that the UK workforce will be doubled. Maybe I have one last career change left in me .... hmmmm ....

Well.. Explosive growth has some dangers: it attracts a swarm of shitty managers of all sorts, then they start bring in their friends and multiply like germs.  Large UK companies seem to be quite affected by this plague. At least in my experience with Nortel/Symbian/Nokia

Offline donotdespisethesnake

• Super Contributor
  • Embedded stuff
« Reply #6 on: July 18, 2016, 09:50:09 am »
Two reasons

1) "Internet of Things"
2) pile of cash and fall in sterling makes UK companies cheaper

Both sound very bad reasons for a takeover, and it's a bad fit. A mobile phone operator doesn't need to get involved in designing chips.

There is likely to be a counter-offer. Either way, could be a rocky road for ARM.
Bob
"All you said is just a bunch of opinions."

Offline SteveyG

• Supporter
  • Soldering Equipment Guru
« Reply #7 on: July 18, 2016, 10:01:16 am »

By all accounts, it's not a great place to work. I have a few friends that work there, but the work is mundane and fairly restrictive unless you get into sales and support.
YouTube Channel: https://www.youtube.com/user/sdgelectronics/
Use code: “SDG5” to get 5% off JBC Equipment at Kaisertech

Offline DmitryL

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #8 on: July 18, 2016, 10:08:09 am »
Well - my wife works for SoftBank :) and they have a plan. Masa-San (The CEO/founder/owner) is the Japanese version of Bill Gates - just more down to earth. :) He actually has an engineering background and is very smart and down to earth. I think he feels best with his sleeves rolled up ready to solve problems.

This makes me smile :)
The last-but-one Nokia CEO (don't remember his name) also had an engineering background (RF AFAIK) which didn't stop him from running the company into the ground.
It would be a bit pity to see if a pattern "buy a company -> mess with it -> run it down -> sell to microsoft or whoever" applies to ARM as well.

Offline EEVblog

• Administrator
    • EEVblog
« Reply #9 on: July 18, 2016, 10:24:57 am »
 :o

Offline lilos

• Contributor
  • iot-dev.net team member
« Reply #10 on: July 18, 2016, 11:00:41 am »
A free ISA is coming from RISC-V! Why someone will pay for arm licence ? This make Arm price cheap.
 I think that the reason they sell.
« Last Edit: July 18, 2016, 11:04:00 am by lilos »
www.iot-dev.net team member

Offline RogerRowland

• Regular Contributor
    • Personal web site
« Reply #11 on: July 18, 2016, 11:07:42 am »
By all accounts, it's not a great place to work. I have a few friends that work there, but the work is mundane and fairly restrictive unless you get into sales and support.

Yes, I have friends and ex-colleagues there too, I'll take some soundings before making any waves ..... not a time to jump out of a frying pan, I guess, but worthwhile keeping eyes and ears open ...

Online Monkeh

• Super Contributor
« Reply #12 on: July 18, 2016, 11:10:59 am »

The last-but-one Nokia CEO (don't remember his name) also had an engineering background (RF AFAIK) which didn't stop him from running the company into the ground.

Who, Elop? He worked for Microsoft, went to Nokia, ran them into the ground until their phone division got bought by Microsoft, and got a bonus for it. I don't think it was anything to do with his engineering background!

Offline RogerRowland

• Regular Contributor
    • Personal web site
« Reply #13 on: July 18, 2016, 11:13:38 am »
It would be a bit pity to see if a pattern "buy a company -> mess with it -> run it down -> sell to microsoft or whoever" applies to ARM as well.

Didn't MS just sell Nokia to Foxconn recently, or was that only part of it? ... I suppose every sale makes money for somebody ...

Online JPortici

• Super Contributor
« Reply #14 on: July 18, 2016, 11:26:00 am »
the dumbphone division, yes.
that's sad. at home we always keep a couple of those around, i still have a nokia 2600 from 2008 in the emergency drawer (along with 3330 and such)  though i had to trash a couple others from 2014

Offline DmitryL

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #15 on: July 18, 2016, 11:26:04 am »

Who, Elop? He worked for Microsoft, went to Nokia, ran them into the ground until their phone division got bought by Microsoft, and got a bonus for it. I don't think it was anything to do with his engineering background!

I wrote "last-but-one". Olli-Pekka or whoever his name was. By elop taking over, Nokia was already in a good rotten shape. It still wasn't visible from outside though.

Online Monkeh

• Super Contributor
« Reply #16 on: July 18, 2016, 11:27:12 am »

I wrote "last-but-one". Olli-Pekka or whoever his name was. By elop taking over, Nokia was already in a good rotten shape. It still wasn't visible from outside though.

They've had two since Elop.. Kallasvuo was a bloody lawyer.

Offline wraper

• Supporter
« Reply #17 on: July 18, 2016, 11:33:35 am »

Nokia was already down to the drain at the time when he came. IMO his job was takeover of Nokia mobile business and everyone in business knew it. Those idiots made multiple low end models with exactly the same PCBs with slightly different parts populated  depending on model :palm:. And insisted on crappy Symbian, when all others were into high end smartphones.
Worked at warranty repair of Nokia phones at that time. We needed to keep all that stock of parts for all that shitload of slightly different models  |O. Nokia should have thought they will win the market by spamming it with quantity of models.
« Last Edit: July 18, 2016, 11:36:18 am by wraper »

Offline andersm

• Super Contributor
« Reply #18 on: July 18, 2016, 11:35:04 am »
Olli-Pekka Kallasvuo. He's a lawyer by education, not an engineer.

Offline andersm

• Super Contributor
« Reply #19 on: July 18, 2016, 11:39:58 am »
A free ISA is coming from RISC-V! Why someone will pay for arm licence ?
RISC-V is still at the stage of an academic research project, while ARM have a proven product with a huge ecosystem behind it. Maybe RISC-V will eventually become a serious contender, but it will take some time.

Offline GEuser

• Frequent Contributor
  • Is Leaving
« Reply #20 on: July 18, 2016, 12:20:35 pm »
It's a bit off topic yet associated imo , not starting a Brexit argument either so control yourselves .

BUT , this deal was in planning ages ago probably , and lately i have noticed quite a few "other" deals still going ahead and being announced , Boots (chemist company) going ahead in Korea still and a few others over the last few days i have seen , not that I'm deliberately looking about , so Brexit is still palatable it seems in the business system it appears?
Soon

Online nctnico

• Super Contributor
    • NCT Developments
« Reply #21 on: July 18, 2016, 12:39:57 pm »
IMHO Nokia is a story apart. The way I see it the core of Nokia is an investment firm which invests in whatever they see a market in and leave when no more profit can be made. They are a clever bunch by letting Microsoft pay for cleaning up after them and now they just reboot a new mobile phone company where they don't have all the legacy support or have to do massive lay-offs. And if that doesn't work they can always go back to making rubber boots.
There are small lies, big lies and then there is what is on the screen of your oscilloscope.

Offline lilos

• Contributor
  • iot-dev.net team member
« Reply #22 on: July 18, 2016, 12:57:04 pm »
A free ISA is coming from RISC-V! Why someone will pay for arm licence ?
RISC-V is still at the stage of an academic research project, while ARM have a proven product with a huge ecosystem behind it. Maybe RISC-V will eventually become a serious contender, but it will take some time.

https://www.sifive.com/

They are ready for use cores one big U500 and one for micro E500.

Freedom U500 Platform
U5 Coreplex at 1.6GHz+
RV64GC Architecture
Multicore, Cache Coherency Support
High Speed Peripherals: PCIe 3.0, USB3.0, GbE, DDR3/4
TSMC 28nm

Freedom E300 Platform
E3 Coreplex
RV32IMC/RV32EMC Architecture
On chip Flash, OTP, SRAM
TSMC 180nm

Here is dev kits Full FPGA !
https://dev.sifive.com/dev-kits/

Risc-V are perfect for IOT.

@blueskull we don`t need core i5 for iot! and i`m not against big company just love university projects like risc-v cos
 they give you freedom to learn and not stop you by hiding thinks.

« Last Edit: July 18, 2016, 01:01:56 pm by lilos »
www.iot-dev.net team member

Offline andersm

• Super Contributor
« Reply #23 on: July 18, 2016, 01:27:17 pm »
They are ready for use cores one big U500 and one for micro E500.
I've seen the announcements, but I don't remember reading that they'd have any customers making silicon yet.

Offline picandmix

• Frequent Contributor

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf