Author Topic: australia nuclear easter egg hunt?  (Read 4020 times)

Offline coppercone2Topic starter

• Super Contributor
  • $
Re: australia nuclear easter egg hunt?
« Reply #25 on: January 31, 2023, 01:48:26 am »
I love the 10mm socket analogy. I could see Burke from Aliens saying that one.  ;D

Look, that facehugger I took is just like rescuing a little souvenir..... sorry I forgot to tell you guys about it, just totally slipped my mind ok?! don't be a cop, its cool man, happens all the time.

« Last Edit: January 31, 2023, 01:55:31 am by coppercone2 »

The following users thanked this post: bigfoot22

Offline SL4P

• Super Contributor
  • There's more value if you figure it out yourself!
« Reply #26 on: January 31, 2023, 03:11:29 am »
It's not a dirt road, but a perfectly good sealed one, so it will almost certainly be along the edge of the road somewhere

There’s an assumption of facts that leads to this point.
What if the sample was never in or on the truck, wrapped up with the lunch room leftovers on its way to the sewer outfall on the coast…
Don't ask a question if you aren't willing to listen to the answer.

Offline BravoV

• Super Contributor
  • +++ ATH1
« Reply #27 on: January 31, 2023, 02:12:55 pm »
The Brits are far more crazier ... when it comes to radioactive and bolt ...  >:D

-> Nuclear security alert after botched attempt to fix £88m Trident submarine with super glue

Quote .. "Navy chiefs last night ordered an investigation after workers on a Trident sub risked disaster — by gluing broken bolts in a nuclear reactor chamber."  >:D  :-DD

• Super Contributor
  • $
« Reply #28 on: January 31, 2023, 09:57:10 pm »
Looks like those stupid bolt extractors have a use after all.

https://www.grainger.com/product/5VUC4?gucid=N:N:PS:Paid:GGL:CSM-2295:4P7A1P:20501231&gclid=EAIaIQobChMI8JHLvOby_AIVBpfICh1Mlg2vEAQYBSABEgJ-ovD_BwE&gclsrc=aw.ds

Might need some fancier drills for superalloy bolts. I bet they could not drill into it or something. Bet its seized superalloy. Might not be so easy to repair. But its bad if the super glue is just there for cosmetic reasons, meaning its either extremely light load bearing, or it was covering up a problem that had a redudent screw holding it together (i.e. cosmetic).

But given that this occured in drydock................................. no excuse. Every goddamn problem with a nuclear reactor has something to do with coolant.

So they should have removed the bolt, inspected the bore with a boroscope and measured it to determine if it made to spec, and if a meeting decided it was reasonable and the threads are not otherwise strained, put a new bolt, or drilled and reamed a new hole, threaded it and inspected it and logged the repair...

I can see that some explosives accident with a torpedo, a shock wave damages the cooling pipes that are not supported and then there is a reactor problem and adios muchachos.  >:(

But also, those contractors are stupid as hell. That kind of repair can add hours to a repair time bill, if they were smart with the contract. Pretty involved to determine if a threaded hole is proper. Might be as simple as a non coated bolt was used and seized, meaning if it was investigated properly they might have found manufacturing/engineering/spec problems that caused the situation in the first place and uncovered a larger issue, or it was drilled in the wrong place and there was a slight alignment issue, or that it was threaded wrong, or there is incompatible materials. Rushing simple job = information fail.

If you want your contractor company to look good, don't focus on the cheaper price, because maintenance is also inspection/monitoring and it feeds back to quality. If you want your engineering company to look good, then listen to the maintenance workers that find problems.

https://knowledge.faro.com/Hardware/FaroArm_and_ScanArm/FaroArm_and_ScanArm/Measuring_Threaded_Holes
https://flexiblemeasuring.com/measure-external-internal-thread-pitch-diameter/
« Last Edit: January 31, 2023, 10:19:27 pm by coppercone2 »

Offline vk6zgo

• Super Contributor
« Reply #29 on: February 01, 2023, 12:44:18 am »
It's not a dirt road, but a perfectly good sealed one, so it will almost certainly be along the edge of the road somewhere

There’s an assumption of facts that leads to this point.
What if the sample was never in or on the truck, wrapped up with the lunch room leftovers on its way to the sewer outfall on the coast…
Its presence on the truck was checked with a Geiger counter, according to the news reports.
I really doubt there is a "sewer outfall" on the coast serving the Rio Tinto site.

Offline redkitedesign

• Regular Contributor
    • Red Kite Design
« Reply #30 on: February 01, 2023, 02:07:27 am »

There was pretty much no rain since the truck left the mine site. It hasn't flushed away.

Unless it got stuck in someones tires and got unstuck in a part of Oz that does have rain. But then it can literally be anywhere in Australia.

Online Sredni

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #31 on: February 01, 2023, 02:12:57 am »
The Brits are far more crazier ... when it comes to radioactive and bolt ...  >:D

-> Nuclear security alert after botched attempt to fix £88m Trident submarine with super glue

Quote .. "Navy chiefs last night ordered an investigation after workers on a Trident sub risked disaster — by gluing broken bolts in a nuclear reactor chamber."  >:D  :-DD

It's "The Sun".
I've come to be wary about the news reported by The Sun. Unless it's an article penned by their time traveller, that is.
All instruments lie. Usually on the bench.

Offline AndyC_772

• Super Contributor
  • Professional design engineer
    • Cawte Engineering | Reliable Electronics
« Reply #32 on: February 01, 2023, 08:13:26 am »

The following users thanked this post: MK14, bigfoot22

• Super Contributor
  • $
« Reply #33 on: February 01, 2023, 08:51:42 am »
well I thought they would end up having to deploy the national guard to fight mutated ostriches. I was quite sure an ostrich ate it. Did I just write the script to carnosaur 5?

The following users thanked this post: karpouzi9

Offline vk6zgo

• Super Contributor
« Reply #34 on: February 01, 2023, 08:58:32 am »
well I thought they would end up having to deploy the national guard to fight mutated ostriches. I was quite sure an ostrich ate it. Did I just write the script to carnosaur 5?
It would be quite a feat for Emus to mutate into Ostriches!

Online tom66

• Super Contributor
  • Electronics Hobbyist & FPGA/Embedded Systems EE
« Reply #35 on: February 01, 2023, 09:07:41 am »
Didn't Australia lose the last emu war?  How well would they cope against the mutant ostriches?

Offline vk6zgo

• Super Contributor
« Reply #36 on: February 01, 2023, 12:21:46 pm »
Considering how well Australians tolerate anyone who isn't a disgusting compulsivley swearing blue collar slob. Poorly. They would probably just let them win and go back indoors and scream expletives at the television and whinge and moan about how the government doesn't step in and do something about it.

They also have no rights and no guns so theres nothing that they can do about it anyway except bitch and bitch and bitch.

We would last about 5 mins with the Chinese and Russians I can tell you that much, then comes the bitching, as they stand around crying in the internment camps "oh why whyy didn't we vote right wing!"

I'm not saying that the Australian army/navy/airforce wouldn't give it a go, but its pretty much lose in every scenario.

Then again we have nuclear subs now. So there's that.

People have been voting "right wing" for a long time, without any positive results.

It seems they start "thumping the miltary tub" whenever they look likely to lose an election.

It seems to work more often than not, as back during the Coalition's 23 year straight run prior to 1972,"pollies" would turn up in WA every 3 years, making big promises of a Naval Base, & quietly forget it, till next time they needed to "feed the chooks".
It finally happened in 1978.

Their successors on that side of politics haven't changed a lot.

The following users thanked this post: bigfoot22

Offline gbaddeley

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #37 on: February 02, 2023, 11:23:17 am »
It’s been found on the side of the road, by a vehicle mounted radiation detector.

Edit: Oops, beaten to it, see post 37
« Last Edit: February 02, 2023, 11:25:42 am by gbaddeley »
Glenn

Offline AndyC_772

• Super Contributor
  • Professional design engineer
    • Cawte Engineering | Reliable Electronics
« Reply #38 on: February 02, 2023, 01:11:27 pm »
A few more details on the search operation:

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-australia-64483271

The following users thanked this post: karpouzi9