Author Topic: Average car contains 100 million lines of code, The State of Autosoftware  (Read 7054 times)

Online Monkeh

• Super Contributor
Re: Average car contains 100 million lines of code, The State of Autosoftware
« Reply #75 on: January 31, 2023, 02:48:18 pm »
I'm kind of glad that both of my cars doesn't have any ABS.

It makes no difference if someone stops suddenly in front of you if you have no way out and weather or not you have ABS or not, sure a wheel locks up when you break hard but if they don't give you enough time to stop or a means of escape to the left or to the right then who cares. I never go fast enough on main roads anyway to warrant needing ABS.

.. you give yourself time. You control following distance, not them.

ABS is useful at any speed above about 30mph, if you never go that fast.. you probably don't need a car at all.

a light brake pedal application to bring the car back into line can then turn into a hard braking action from the ABS system

No, that's not how ABS works.

The following users thanked this post: tooki

Online pcprogrammer

• Super Contributor
« Reply #76 on: January 31, 2023, 03:31:43 pm »

That brings a peeve to the table.

Cruising along at a reasonable pace on cruse control, keeping proper distance between you and the car in front of you, some idiot comes and overtakes you and pushes in between you and the other car, forcing you to readjust your speed to bring back the proper gap again  :palm:

Online PlainName

• Super Contributor
« Reply #77 on: January 31, 2023, 03:41:41 pm »
Ideally yes but in this situation the brakes were worn by the previous owner

Yes, exactly so. All the many millions of situations where ABS has scored are negated by a single second-hand tale of poor maintenance.

Er...

The following users thanked this post: bigfoot22

Online PlainName

• Super Contributor
« Reply #78 on: January 31, 2023, 03:44:27 pm »

That brings a peeve to the table.

Cruising along at a reasonable pace on cruse control, keeping proper distance between you and the car in front of you, some idiot comes and overtakes you and pushes in between you and the other car, forcing you to readjust your speed to bring back the proper gap again  :palm:

That can be irritating. Annoying is what happened to me this morning when someone indicated and pulled straight over just as I'm passing, forcing me to brake heavily in order to not ram them up the arse.

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf