Author Topic: Bad battery explosion - Somewhere in China - Video  (Read 1054 times)

Offline killingtimeTopic starter

• Regular Contributor
Bad battery explosion - Somewhere in China - Video
« on: May 16, 2021, 04:19:49 pm »
At first, I thought this was a tabletop propane cooker that was venting due to improper use.

On second examination, if you look at the flame thrower battery case, you can see the red & black terminals facing towards the camera, and the black brick style PSU charger on the fridge above. Looks like he's using croc clips to hook the battery up.

Too small to be a car battery. Looks like a commercial kitchen, so it could be a delivery bike battery. I'm guessing lithium ion due to the fire ferocity.

I knew LiPo batteries vented with flame when abused, but this was an eye opener. Charging the bike outside the house after seeing this.

OK. After some discussion with Simon, here's a DailyMotion link. Password protected. The password is 'password'.

https://www.dailymotion.com/video/x81b8sp

--EDIT--

Dailymotion now require an account to view, so here's a BitChute link.

https://www.bitchute.com/video/WZ8ELZDN5dSY
« Last Edit: May 17, 2021, 11:11:29 am by killingtime »

Offline duckduck

• Frequent Contributor
  • 20Hz < fun < 20kHz, and RF is Really Fun
Re: Bad battery explosion - Somewhere in China - Video
« Reply #1 on: May 16, 2021, 06:02:28 pm »
I knew LiPo batteries vented with flame when abused, but this was an eye opener. Charging the bike outside the house after seeing this.

Story time: my next-door neighbor is remote control model enthusiast (well, that's what they called them in the USA in the 80's when I had a subscription to RCM). He has quadcopters, boats, rock crawlers, etc. He was charging some LiPo batteries in his office upstairs with some guests over. One of the packs caught fire and burned up that whole room and almost burned down the entire house. The smoke damage was so bad they had to replace the entire upstairs interior (carpet, paint, etc.) Home insurance covered it, but it must have been an immense PIA.

I have a couple of LiPo batteries for a 1/12 scale stadium truck that a co-worker gave me and I keep them in a terracotta pot in the garage. There is a reason that they sell fire-resistant bags for these batteries. Combining high-power-density batteries with a cutthroat market (Amazon/Aliexpress/etc.) and "NFG" build quality is a recipe for occasional disasters if you fail to respect the many angry pixies inside.

The following users thanked this post: thm_w

Offline Refrigerator

• Super Contributor
« Reply #2 on: May 16, 2021, 07:14:58 pm »

Story time: my next-door neighbor is remote control model enthusiast (well, that's what they called them in the USA in the 80's when I had a subscription to RCM). He has quadcopters, boats, rock crawlers, etc. He was charging some LiPo batteries in his office upstairs with some guests over. One of the packs caught fire and burned up that whole room and almost burned down the entire house. The smoke damage was so bad they had to replace the entire upstairs interior (carpet, paint, etc.) Home insurance covered it, but it must have been an immense PIA.

I have a couple of LiPo batteries for a 1/12 scale stadium truck that a co-worker gave me and I keep them in a terracotta pot in the garage. There is a reason that they sell fire-resistant bags for these batteries. Combining high-power-density batteries with a cutthroat market (Amazon/Aliexpress/etc.) and "NFG" build quality is a recipe for occasional disasters if you fail to respect the many angry pixies inside.
Lithium batteries have become much safer last time i checked, no?
I used to be very active in RC forums back in the day and i remember when gens ace packs came out and they were so good everyone started buying them but then the quality dropped as the production ramped up and the age of puffy gens aces started.
I even have some puffy gens aces myself.
I have a blog at http://brimmingideas.blogspot.com/ . Now less empty than ever before !
An expert of making MOSFETs explode.

Offline killingtimeTopic starter

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #3 on: May 16, 2021, 08:37:01 pm »
For some reason, this video reminds me of the high speed sled testing they do across the pond at Sandia National Labs. Picture attached.

The USA version appears to be slightly better funded though. They've got a dedicated test track and high speed cameras for a start, as opposed to a bloke using CCTV on a tiled kitchen floor and spare foot stool for the sled. This takes maximum value engineering to a new level.

Close inspection of the footage does show they're innovating though. After the motor hits the floor, it lights the second stage and really goes for it. USA Zuni motors are only one stage.

Offline GerritMax

• Contributor
« Reply #4 on: May 16, 2021, 09:47:10 pm »
Must be Made in China  :-DD

Offline station240

• Supporter
« Reply #5 on: May 16, 2021, 10:04:11 pm »
Another very recent Bike Battery fire, this time inside an elevator.
https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/world/electric-bike-explodes-in-crowded-elevator-burning-everyone-inside/ar-BB1gBLfo

Being inside a sealed elevator when a lithium Ion battery explodes into a fireball, yes all 4 people are in hospital.

Offline Robert Smith Eco Warrior

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #6 on: May 16, 2021, 10:19:06 pm »
Crikey.
I have a friend with a battery the size of a refrigerator for their off grid house. I believe that is LiPo. I think I would be wanting that a good way away from the house not inside.  :o

Offline floobydust

• Super Contributor
« Reply #7 on: May 16, 2021, 10:53:52 pm »
In china they have posters in the train stations telling people to never park their EV indoors because of the fire hazard. I guess li-ion battery fires are commonplace there.

Tesla is shifting their standard-range car batteries from lithium-ion to iron-cathode, I think going with LiFePO4 lithium iron phosphate (LFP) batteries in china is a must.
I wonder if the real reason is safety around cheapola li-ion and shoddy manufacturing/charging, but he claims it's to avoid a nickel shortage  8)

The following users thanked this post: duckduck

Online Black Phoenix

• Super Contributor
« Reply #8 on: May 17, 2021, 12:51:40 am »
Common occurrence.

Electrical bikes are very common here, even some cities don't allow ICE powered ones.

Shenzhen for example the only ICE motorcycles you see regularly are own by the Traffic Police or the utility (gas, water, electricity and the guy who delivers the newspapers) and rarely a neighbour who have one and risks a fine by using it, although in Macao and Hong Kong they are very common.

And as bikes they are allowed to go on the sidewalks (that I totally disagree but that's me). In other parts of China is a mix. Combine that with some subpar construction of said packs, the high energy storage of said packs and the lack of following good security practices and you have a receipt for tragedy. I will one of this days create a topic with the most glaring faults I common see, with pictures, both in electrical installations and battery powered. Let's say I saw my fair share of mind-boggling things, on the worse tense of the sentence...

The following users thanked this post: thm_w, duckduck

Offline thm_w

• Super Contributor
  • Non-expert
« Reply #9 on: May 17, 2021, 09:28:59 pm »
That charger looks quite powerful (300-500W), so battery pack must have a massive amount of stored energy (1-2kWh?).
Definitely some sort of scooter or motorcycle size.

Must be Made in China  :-DD

China makes 62% of the worlds li-ion batteries, not sure how this is funny or necessary to post.
Profile -> Modify profile -> Look and Layout ->  Don't show users' signatures

The following users thanked this post: Qw3rtzuiop

Online Miyuki

• Frequent Contributor
    • Me on youtube
« Reply #10 on: May 18, 2021, 08:07:29 am »
I just wonder how often it is cells failure vs bad BMS overcharging or shorting them that cause this havoc

The following users thanked this post: thm_w

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf