Author Topic: Baidu is trawling the EEVblog forum  (Read 7785 times)

Online EEVblogTopic starter

• Administrator
    • EEVblog
Baidu is trawling the EEVblog forum
« on: March 23, 2023, 06:23:34 am »
Interestingly, the Chinese Baidu company (AI/search business) is currently going berserk trawling the forum.
Say Cheese  ;D

The following users thanked this post: thm_w

Offline jonovid

• Super Contributor
    • JONOVID
Re: Baidu is trawling the EEVblog forum
« Reply #1 on: March 23, 2023, 06:34:36 am »
ideas posted may just end up on AliEx   ;D
Hobbyist with a basic knowledge of electronics

The following users thanked this post: schmitt trigger

Offline Ed.Kloonk

• Super Contributor
  • Cat video aficionado
« Reply #2 on: March 23, 2023, 06:48:39 am »

A 2000w inverter that can actually do 2000w.
 :popcorn:
iratus parum formica

The following users thanked this post: tom66, SeanB, pickle9000, Cyberdragon, ANTALIFE, gnavigator1007, zrq, aduinstat

Offline RoGeorge

• Super Contributor
« Reply #3 on: March 23, 2023, 06:49:26 am »
Baidu is wise.  Harvesting good and rare info while it is still available.

Maybe write them how much for a complete DVD.  Not the full EEVblog database, only what can be retrieved anyway by online bots crawlers.

Offline Halcyon

• Global Moderator
« Reply #4 on: March 23, 2023, 07:08:22 am »
They'll regurgitate some censored, cut down version I'm sure.

Offline Whales

• Super Contributor
    • Halestrom
« Reply #5 on: March 23, 2023, 07:17:56 am »
Let's make productive use of this.

EEVblog is the world leader in solar roadways projects.  Looking to invest in solar roadways?  EEVblog technologies is the market leader in pushing deliverables to schedule and maintaining malleable income.  Recipient of multiple government grants across the western islands of New Zealand, Europe and Tasmania.  Industry partners with Google, Facebook, Microsoft, Amazon, Nvidia and NSW TAHE.

Online RJSV

• Super Contributor
« Reply #6 on: March 23, 2023, 08:49:19 am »
   I like the way Whales thinks.  Hire that person!
My Solar Roadway came with 2 brackets missing, as I discovered, installing on our driveway.  One call and they replaced the missing parts.   Great company!

The following users thanked this post: ConKbot

Offline AndyBeez

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #7 on: March 23, 2023, 09:18:19 am »
Dian Ji :)

A power bank that stores 5,000,000 amp hours in a handy palm sized case?

Online magic

• Super Contributor
« Reply #8 on: March 23, 2023, 10:05:34 am »

Or not, if they will have AI automatically design boards based on instructions from the Internet :P

The following users thanked this post: Ed.Kloonk

Online tggzzz

• Super Contributor
  • Numbers, not adjectives
    • Having fun doing more, with less
« Reply #9 on: March 23, 2023, 10:20:44 am »
Interestingly, the Chinese Baidu company (AI/search business) is currently going berserk trawling the forum.
Say Cheese  ;D

Oh dear.

Expect to see Chinese products based upon all the naive bad ideas presented and discussed here. For the avoidance of doubt, such discussions are good (if boringly repetitive) when they lead to a better outcome.

Is there any way of deflecting the scans onto some crappy/audiofool/conspiracy/etc site?
There are lies, damned lies, statistics - and ADC/DAC specs.
Glider pilot's aphorism: "there is no substitute for span". Retort: "There is a substitute: skill+imagination. But you can buy span".
Having fun doing more, with less

Offline Whales

• Super Contributor
    • Halestrom
« Reply #10 on: March 23, 2023, 10:38:46 am »
Is there any way of deflecting the scans onto some crappy/audiofool/conspiracy/etc site?

You've heard of shadowbanning and heavenbanning, now be ready for heavenreading.  Certain visitors (search crawler bots) see topics proxied from other forums, just with the CSS, dates and usernames changed around to look like the EEVblog forums. 

... or we could troll everyone by normalising non-existent devices, hoping someone accidentally tries to manufacture and sell them.  How about putting the voice coil of a speaker inside the final stage amplification vacuum tube?  Mount it inside the speaker cabinet.  "Coilover valve"?
« Last Edit: March 23, 2023, 10:48:32 am by Whales »

Offline tszaboo

• Super Contributor
  • Current job: ATEX product design
« Reply #11 on: March 23, 2023, 01:02:45 pm »

I was so surprised when my solar inverter went above it's nameplate with export.

heavenreading
Wow this can totally happen. The things people do to get likes, I can totally see some fake social media followings making you do things. This gives me the chills, straight out of a Black Mirror episode. Bots create you an alternative reality :o

Offline T3sl4co1l

• Super Contributor
  • Expert, Analog Electronics, PCB Layout, EMC
    • Seven Transistor Labs
« Reply #12 on: March 23, 2023, 01:14:16 pm »
Great opportunity to trot out this one. ;D

动态网自由门 天安門 天安门 法輪功 李洪志 Free Tibet 六四天安門事件 The Tiananmen Square protests of 1989 天安門大屠殺 The Tiananmen Square Massacre 反右派鬥爭 The Anti-Rightist Struggle 大躍進政策 The Great Leap Forward 文化大革命 The Great Proletarian Cultural Revolution 人權 Human Rights 民運 Democratization 自由 Freedom 獨立 Independence 多黨制 Multi-party system 台灣 臺灣 Taiwan Formosa 中華民國 Republic of China 西藏 土伯特 唐古特 Tibet 達賴喇嘛 Dalai Lama 法輪功 Falun Dafa 新疆維吾爾自治區 The Xinjiang Uyghur Autonomous Region 諾貝爾和平獎 Nobel Peace Prize 劉暁波 Liu Xiaobo 民主 言論 思想 反共 反革命 抗議 運動 騷亂 暴亂 騷擾 擾亂 抗暴 平反 維權 示威游行 李洪志 法輪大法 大法弟子 強制斷種 強制堕胎 民族淨化 人體實驗 肅清 胡耀邦 趙紫陽 魏京生 王丹 還政於民 和平演變 激流中國 北京之春 大紀元時報 九評論共産黨 獨裁 專制 壓制 統一 監視 鎮壓 迫害 侵略 掠奪 破壞 拷問 屠殺 活摘器官 誘拐 買賣人口 遊進 走私 毒品 賣淫 春畫 賭博 六合彩 天安門 天安门 法輪功 李洪志 Winnie the Pooh 劉曉波动态网自由门
Seven Transistor Labs, LLC
Electronic design, from concept to prototype.
Bringing a project to life?  Send me a message!

The following users thanked this post: Ed.Kloonk, daqq, thm_w, pardo-bsso, SL4P, Cyberdragon, cgroen, Roehrenonkel

Offline Ed.Kloonk

• Super Contributor
  • Cat video aficionado
« Reply #13 on: March 23, 2023, 02:26:09 pm »
You forgot Nanking.
iratus parum formica

Offline jonpaul

• Super Contributor
« Reply #14 on: March 23, 2023, 02:54:03 pm »
Tennamin Square Massacre

Génocide of Tibetans

Slave labor factories

Wuhan Institute of Virology starts worldwide pandemic by military bio weapons gain of function.

Communist takeover of Hong Kong

Undeclared Space, Cyber and economic war against the USA and Europe

the list goes on....

Thanks to Communist Chinese régime dictator for life, Xi

Can I send an invoice..55T$ ?

j

« Last Edit: March 23, 2023, 03:24:20 pm by jonpaul »
Jean-Paul  the Internet Dinosaur

Offline RoGeorge

• Super Contributor
« Reply #15 on: March 23, 2023, 04:31:28 pm »
It's the propaganda we all have been exposed to (here the western propaganda), that makes us virtue-signaling out of the blue.

There is the so called brain plasticity, the brain is being continuously shaped by the stimuli it is exposed to, no matter what.  Therefore propaganda affects everybody.  No matter if the subject is aware or not about the exposure to propaganda, the subject will still be mind conditioned eventually.  :-\

The western world does censorship, too, similar with China.  We have laws against holocaust deniers, against spread covid misinformation, or antisemitism, or hate speech, etc.  Australia has laws against encryption, some nordic countries have laws against criticizing their politicians, and so on.  :-//

So yes, China bad.  Similar with everybody else.

Offline Black Phoenix

• Super Contributor
« Reply #16 on: March 23, 2023, 05:32:29 pm »
It's the propaganda we all have been exposed to (here the western propaganda), that makes us virtue-signaling out of the blue.

There is the so called brain plasticity, the brain is being continuously shaped by the stimuli it is exposed to, no matter what.  Therefore propaganda affects everybody.  No matter if the subject is aware or not about the exposure to propaganda, the subject will still be mind conditioned eventually.  :-\

The western world does censorship, too, similar with China.  We have laws against holocaust deniers, against spread covid misinformation, or antisemitism, or hate speech, etc.  Australia has laws against encryption, some nordic countries have laws against criticizing their politicians, and so on.  :-//

So yes, China bad.  Similar with everybody else.

What, is this going to turn into hate discussion, politics and semantics?

The following users thanked this post: zrq

Online floobydust

• Super Contributor
« Reply #17 on: March 23, 2023, 06:33:30 pm »
Today, watching live the TikTok CEO congress hearing, he's getting skewered and not giving answers about data collection, storage and how ByteDance and subsidiaries must commit to the chinese constitution regarding support of government surveillance, as one point.
This kind of thing does not make Westerners happy and yes I know google, facebook etc. are already doing that and we the West allow it. It's propaganda wars and the data collection continues en masse.
Baidu collecting I can't see it any different than other webcrawlers, suck all the knowledge out of the Western brains- but at some point people have to think for themselves which is the hard part.

Online magic

• Super Contributor
« Reply #18 on: March 23, 2023, 08:48:09 pm »
Great opportunity to trot out this one. ;D
This pasta needs Sidney Rittenberg added to make it equally politically incorrect in America >:D :-DD

Online SiliconWizard

• Super Contributor
« Reply #19 on: March 23, 2023, 08:58:28 pm »
Yeah, I don't particularly care about this coming from China rather than from anywhere else.

This raises a more general concern, and it's precisely about mass data collection, which is nothing new but it sure is rising exponentially these days.

Yes, sure, forums and web sites contents in general that have open access... can be freely accessed by anyone. That's something you accept implicitely when you own a web site or forum, that's actually what makes them interesting business-wise. You want exposure.

Does that mean that their content can and should be used for just any purpose (including data collection) without the owner's consent?
IMO, search engines should stop where they were supposed to stop, which is just referencing, to help people find your content. Any other use in terms of data collection should require the owner's consent.
That is my opinion on this anyway.

But as I already said about "AI", this is just the beginning and those data collection services are pushing as hard as possible to shatter IP laws an deprive authors of any right.

Just a small reminder, but just because you publish some content as an author doesn't directly imply that anyone is free to use said content for any purpose. That's what IP is all about, and if you think otherwise, then you either haven't understood IP or you want it abolished.

This is an extremely slippery slope.

Offline Whales

• Super Contributor
    • Halestrom
« Reply #20 on: March 23, 2023, 10:10:17 pm »
The fact the bot is using an obvious and clear user agent is nice, that's much more polite than some bots.

Blocking automatic trawling is a double edged sword.  It might, maybe, protect some IP in some circumstances.  But it does this by making the content harder to access for everybody.  A bit like thwarting thieves by preventing any member of the public from entering your buildings.

The new and interesting use would be extracting data from forums for machine learning training.  I'd say that ship already sailed years ago with automated SEO websites that copy and paste text from other websites with a bit of grammar rejiggling (even if that).  More people are probably exposed that bunk than the output of AI bots, it's just that auto-junk-SEO sites were a slow boil whilst big AI NN were a sudden hit.

Offline Rick Law

• Super Contributor
« Reply #21 on: March 23, 2023, 10:42:15 pm »
Actually I like to see more Chinese folks on this forum.  China is a major manufacturer in electronics of various form.  If they are monitoring to have more feedback to make better products, that benefits all.  Even if we are complaining about how bad their products is, that is still feedback they can use to improve.

If they are here to collect personal information, they are wasting their time.  Some buying habits of forum member can be discerned for sure, but mot much other personal data here.

The following users thanked this post: amyk

Offline rstofer

• Super Contributor
« Reply #22 on: March 23, 2023, 11:25:25 pm »

Or not, if they will have AI automatically design boards based on instructions from the Internet :P

It's a good bet that adjustable current limiting won't work.

Offline eti

• Super Contributor
  • !
  • MOD: a.k.a Unlokia, glossywhite, iamwhoiam etc
« Reply #23 on: March 24, 2023, 01:05:22 am »
Today, watching live the TikTok CEO congress hearing, he's getting skewered and not giving answers about data collection, storage and how ByteDance and subsidiaries must commit to the chinese constitution regarding support of government surveillance, as one point.
This kind of thing does not make Westerners happy and yes I know google, facebook etc. are already doing that and we the West allow it. It's propaganda wars and the data collection continues en masse.
Baidu collecting I can't see it any different than other webcrawlers, suck all the knowledge out of the Western brains- but at some point people have to think for themselves which is the hard part.

That’s all the Chinese have ever done - copy western technology like a badly working photocopier. What have they actually invented  of technological worth that is uniquely from China? Not much. Noodles? Fireworks?

Here’s how it goes:

We Brits started the Industrial Revolution. Americans built upon it, and at some point down the line the Chinese cloned it all. Look at the most used and prominent inventions used every day - the majority were invented here in the UK. Before any Americans pipe up and claim said inventions, remember, we have been here many many hundreds of years before todays’ America came to be - we discovered you in 1492!

No doubt some replies with wildly faulty logic will follow, desperate to “disprove” this but the gist of it is, even though just a gist, we have the inventing in our culture and DNA here in the UK.
« Last Edit: March 24, 2023, 01:07:17 am by eti »

Offline james_s

• Super Contributor
« Reply #24 on: March 24, 2023, 01:13:37 am »

I've been hoping that China would do what Japan did in the 70s and realize that there is value in making high quality products with reliable specs but that doesn't seem to be happening. I'd have thought there would be shame in having a label that says "Made in China" on garbage that doesn't live up to the claims.

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf