Author Topic: Battery overcharing  (Read 3933 times)

Offline Buriedcode

• Super Contributor
Re: Battery overcharing
« Reply #50 on: December 27, 2023, 02:32:22 pm »
With all these anedotes flying about its worth remembering that each scenario has a lot of factors that aren't mentioned: 

1) Device current draw - we really don't know what your phone/tablet/laptop is doing.  Often phones will update and perform scans whilst idle but on charge, raising their temperature and power consumption. Simply leaving a device on charge doesn't mean its sleeping, or that its charging for that matter.  And it may charge to 100%, then update, using up a fair chunk of battery life and start charging again quite quickly once the charge level has dropped below 80%. Or... it may do none of those things.

2) Enviromental - ambient temp? humidity?

3) The obvious one - usage.  It's very easy to say things like "heavy use" or "constant use" but both terms are subjective.  I've sometimes used my phone for frantically googling for part availability, on site, with poor converage and drained my battery down within an hour.   Other times doing the same thing next to a WiFi hotspot and barely dropped 10% in an hour.  Actual usage correlates with power consuption but its not an easy comparison, so judging battery life vs usage has so many variables you can't really be certain.

I'm fairly sure the takeaway for PlainName is:  Don't worry.  Even the cheapest modern devices handle the charging just fine, and any gains to be made by micromanaging the SoC and charge terminations will most likely be marginal.  Unless you're living somewhere with an ambient temp constantly above 30C, or you're using a wireless charging pad (that heat up a fair bit) in high ambient temps, your battery will be fine.

The following users thanked this post: Siwastaja, tooki

Offline Buriedcode

• Super Contributor
« Reply #51 on: December 27, 2023, 02:41:06 pm »
I guess that a good charge controller is supposed to switch off after the saturation phase anyway.

Well that's the issue here - we are guessing, and no-one seems to know why some manufacturers (who, after all, would probably prefer not to make out that their product might be a bit iffy) state that the phone shouldn't be left on extended charge. If the charge controller, however that's implemented, could just consider the battery done and turn it all off, there would be no need for such warnings, would there? Indeed, does Apple have similar warnings despite apparently being able to control the charge from software?

As has been pointed out a few times - documentation meant for consumers is often boilerplate, generic, and has parts left over from previous documentation that may or may not be applicable to your device.
The leaflet that came with my phone mentions not to leave it on charge in four places.  And I am sure Apple, Samsung, Google will have similar statements in their manuals to cover themselves. 

It is far easier to use up extra ink and printing space on documentation than the tiny risk of potential future law suits from not explicitly and repeatedly stating instructions to minimise the small possibility of failure-leading-to-injury. 

A random example: Some snow cleats I have for boots, on the instructions mention "The use of this product does not prevent injury from falling in snowy/icey conditions, take extra care when walking in such conditions as this product does not prevent injury" - see the repetition?

On the off-chance I'm wrong: I would have thought that the review from your device would mention battery issues - if the device mismanaged the charging it would be obvious fairly early on in the devices life.

The following users thanked this post: Siwastaja

Offline tooki

• Super Contributor
« Reply #52 on: December 27, 2023, 02:48:54 pm »
I once replaced the degraded battery in an iPhone 6 (my obsolete backup phone) with a new battery (replaced at an Apple Store, so zero chance of counterfeit battery) and after a year of being left plugged in, the battery swelled.

I think there needs to be further explaination here. The iPhone 6 series were riddled with problems. Premature failure of the LCD/digitiser, to battery issues (as you have found out). The iPhone 6 were just a garbage phone with a very high failure rate. Not sure why, but when I was doing digital forensics examinations on an iPhone 6 that wouldn't boot, first thing that got removed was the battery and we powered them up using external power.
I don’t think that this “further explanation” is either reasonable or relevant.

For one, the other issues you mention are unrelated and thus totally irrelevant, and I don’t actually believe it had a significantly high failure rate in the long run*. Second, the same device (not another unit of the same model, the same exact unit) had no trouble with its battery when used “normally”, i.e. plugged in overnight but unplugged during the day.

If you don’t even know why you were removing the battery and powering it externally, I hardly consider that a useful anecdote (never mind a data point).

The point was this: the same phone, with the battery used normally, did not result in swelling. But leaving it plugged in 24/7 did, with a brand-new, first-party battery.

*There are few public statistics on failure rates on iPhone models before and after the 6, and what statistics do exist are incomplete and aren’t adjusted for life cycle. (E.g. they compare the iPhone 6 two years in vs the iPhone 7 shortly after launch. So the iPhone 6 looks bad, but it’s unclear whether it actually was that much worse over its lifetime.) IMHO what matters is the failure rate after 3-4 years of use, excluding consumables and accidental damage. Also, I’m not sure if the stats include battery replacements or not: for sure, the iPhone 6 (and all other models in the same basic enclosure design, i.e. 6S, 7, 8, SE (2nd), and SE (3rd)) all have IMHO undersized batteries that get absolutely hammered in normal use, but it’s still arguable to call this wear and tear of a consumable item, not failure in the context of reliability stats.

Offline Siwastaja

• Super Contributor
« Reply #53 on: December 27, 2023, 02:54:16 pm »
if the device mismanaged the charging it would be obvious fairly early on in the devices life.

Which is also the practical, common sense message to those who don't believe in "theoretical" knowledge - if it was normal for a phone battery to completely die by sitting two months plugged in, we would be seeing a lot of complaints, and N would be in millions, not 1.

Offline tooki

• Super Contributor
« Reply #54 on: December 27, 2023, 03:00:34 pm »
Has anyone really evidence that a smart phone battery will last longer than roughly 500 charge/discharge cycles (or say 1-2 years of daily discharge/recharge) if it is not kept plugged-in after the battery has reached 100% SOC? I guess that a good charge controller is supposed to switch off after the saturation phase anyway.
Only tangentially relevant, but some LiIon batteries do give multiple cycle life specs depending on usage (for example, the Samsung INR18650-32E datasheet gives a cycle life of 500 cycles when discharged at 3.2A, but just 300 cycles when discharged at 6.4A). But of course we don’t have access to the raw battery specs in a smartphone, just the sanitized/dumbed-down specs given with the phone itself. :/

Offline tooki

• Super Contributor
« Reply #55 on: December 27, 2023, 03:16:11 pm »
I guess that a good charge controller is supposed to switch off after the saturation phase anyway.

Well that's the issue here - we are guessing, and no-one seems to know why some manufacturers (who, after all, would probably prefer not to make out that their product might be a bit iffy) state that the phone shouldn't be left on extended charge. If the charge controller, however that's implemented, could just consider the battery done and turn it all off, there would be no need for such warnings, would there? Indeed, does Apple have similar warnings despite apparently being able to control the charge from software?
Here’s what Apple says right now:
https://support.apple.com/en-us/105105] [url]https://support.apple.com/en-us/105105[/url]

Charge and maintain your iPhone battery
Learn about charging the battery in your iPhone and how you can prolong your battery's lifespan.

About your battery's lifespan
A battery’s lifespan is related to its chemical age, which is more than just the length of time since the battery was assembled. A battery’s chemical age results from a complex combination of several factors, including temperature history and charging pattern. All rechargeable batteries are consumable components that become less effective as they chemically age. As lithium-ion batteries chemically age, the amount of charge they can hold diminishes, resulting in reduced battery life and reduced peak performance.
Learn more about iPhone battery and performance
Learn how to maximize battery performance and lifespan

How charging affects your battery
For most customers, the battery in your iPhone should last the whole day. You can charge your iPhone every night even if the battery isn't fully depleted.
iPhone automatically stops charging when the battery is fully charged, so it's safe to keep your iPhone connected to a charger overnight. Charging resumes automatically if your battery level drops below 95 percent.
When possible, unplug your iPhone after it has fully charged. By default, your iPhone uses Optimized Battery Charging. To improve your battery's lifespan, Optimized Battery Charging reduces the time that your iPhone spends fully charged. It fully charges your iPhone just in time for you to use it.
A battery warms up as it charges, which can reduce its lifespan. To reduce the effect of heat and prevent overheating, iPhone gradually reduces the charging current as the battery approaches full charge.
Learn more about Optimized Battery Charging

How temperature affects your battery
iPhone is designed to perform well in a wide range of ambient temperatures, with 62° to 72° F (16° to 22° C) being the ideal comfort zone.
Avoid using or charging your device in ambient temperatures higher than 95° F (35° C), which can permanently reduce battery lifespan.
When using your device in a very cold environment, you might notice a decrease in battery life. This condition is temporary; when the battery’s temperature returns to its normal operating range, its performance will return to normal.
Software might limit charging above 80 percent when the recommended battery temperatures are exceeded.
Learn more about how temperature can affect your iPhone

How Wi-Fi and Bluetooth affect your battery
Wi-Fi and Bluetooth are designed to draw minimal power from the battery when they aren't connected to a network or accessory. For the best experience on your iPhone, keep Wi-Fi and Bluetooth turned on.
Some features might not work if you turn off Wi-Fi or Bluetooth
Learn how to check our your battery health and other information about your battery

Published Date: November 15, 2023

Interestingly, on the page about optimized charging (link above), it says this:
About 80% Limit with iPhone 15 models
With iPhone 15 models, you can choose between Optimized Battery Charging, 80% Limit, and None.
When you choose 80% Limit, your iPhone will charge up to about 80 percent and then stop charging. If the battery charge level gets down to 75 percent, charging will resume until your battery charge level reaches about 80 percent again.
With 80% Limit enabled, your iPhone will occasionally charge to 100 percent to maintain accurate battery state-of-charge estimates.
The fixed 80% is new, and I’m not sure why they wouldn’t enable that software option for older devices, too.

Offline PlainNameTopic starter

• Super Contributor
« Reply #56 on: December 27, 2023, 06:46:51 pm »
And I am sure Apple, Samsung, Google will have similar statements in their manuals to cover themselves.

You are guessing, and doing worse than the rest of us. I've already posted a quote from Samsung on this so clumping that in with Apple and Google is a bit disingenuous. Maybe you could quote from the Apple manual where it says the same?

• Super Contributor
« Reply #57 on: December 27, 2023, 06:49:23 pm »
On the off-chance I'm wrong: I would have thought that the review from your device would mention battery issues - if the device mismanaged the charging it would be obvious fairly early on in the devices life.

How long do you think it would take to notice lack of  battery capacity? A week? Two? Come on - you are making stuff up again. My current phone has lasted 5.5 years and I would like the new one to last that long, not least because the battery is no replaceable and it's a bloody expensive phone to bin just because someone said it won't burst into flames if you leave it on charge.

• Super Contributor
« Reply #58 on: December 27, 2023, 07:04:26 pm »
The fixed 80% is new, and I’m not sure why they wouldn’t enable that software option for older devices, too.

Because they'd get reamed for it. Recall what happened why they slowed phones down to make the batteries last a bit longer.

Which leads me to...

Suppose you (as a manufacturer) can control the battery charge in an on/off fashion. Once it gets up to whatever you consider fully charged you can flip the switch and the charge is turned off. Being clever, you can arrange that the battery is just fully charged when the user wakes up in the morning, either from monitoring their usual wake time or by looking at the set alarm. You can put off charging until the exact time before wakeup that it will take to charge, or you can wait until it's at 100% (or the preferred level), turn it off and then just before wake give it a couple of minutes to make up for what's since drained.

Magic. But what if the user has irregular hours and/or doesn't use the phone alarm? You could wait until full charge and then turn it off, but you wouldn't know when to do the last moment top up. The user could be taking it away in the next minute or they might've gone off on holiday, and you won't know until the cable is pulled. Is the top up important? I think it is, because if the user puts it on charge and then goes to use it and finds it at only 95% they will get a bit annoyed. Especially if it's habitual.

OK, so you can't afford (reputation-wise) to take it off charge unless you know how long it will be on charge (cf. alarm, etc). You could fake the charge - if the actual charge is 95% when the user pulls the cable you could say it's 100% and they'd never know, but then you'd have to fake the fall in charge during use because the user would notice an unaccountable step. I think Apple have tried something like this in the past and got roundly told off.

So the end result is that although you have the ability to limit excess charge, it's more than your job's worth to actually do that except for specific circumstance. Just put a warning in the manual to not leave it on charge overnight (unless the alarm is set) and job's a good 'un. But the  battery charging is suboptimal and will wear the battery prematurely. But that's 2-3 years away and you can just flog them a new phone then.

I'm surprised Apple doesn't allow the 80% to be flexible according to user preference. Perhaps there is some hardware setting involved which can't be software controlled.

• Super Contributor
« Reply #59 on: December 27, 2023, 07:06:17 pm »
if it was normal for a phone battery to completely die by sitting two months plugged in, we would be seeing a lot of complaints, and N would be in millions, not 1.

Absolutely! But that's a straw man and you know it - no-one has suggested anything like that timescale.

Offline Halcyon

• Global Moderator
« Reply #60 on: December 27, 2023, 11:11:59 pm »

I would suggest that it's likely the manufacturer (or whoever wrote the manual) don't actually know any better or, they know full well their product is crap, the battery is going to swell and the user isn't going to follow their instructions, therefore they can turn around to the user and say "you didn't follow instructions" while denying any warranty claims. They would probably get away with the latter in many countries without strong consumer protections.

Offline Halcyon

• Global Moderator
« Reply #61 on: December 27, 2023, 11:17:25 pm »
If you don’t even know why you were removing the battery and powering it externally, I hardly consider that a useful anecdote (never mind a data point).

Because some models of iPhones will refuse to boot properly if the battery has failed, even if you connect it to external power via the data port. The iPhone 6, 6S and 6 Plus are among them.

To get it to boot, you need to physically dismantle the handset, remove the failed battery and either replace it with a known good one, or power it externally via the pins which would ordinarily connect the battery to the mainboard. There are purpose built jigs to do this which are easily available online.

This is based on my own personal experience after examining and extracting data from hundreds and hundreds of iPhones. Whenever I get an iPhone 6 and it's stuck in a boot loop, it's usually the battery causing it.
« Last Edit: December 27, 2023, 11:19:26 pm by Halcyon »

Offline Siwastaja

• Super Contributor
« Reply #62 on: December 28, 2023, 07:16:21 am »
if it was normal for a phone battery to completely die by sitting two months plugged in, we would be seeing a lot of complaints, and N would be in millions, not 1.

Absolutely! But that's a straw man and you know it - no-one has suggested anything like that timescale.

I mean, it was literally* here: https://www.eevblog.com/forum/chat/battery-overcharing/msg5241633/#msg5241633

*) not two, but "a few", sorry.

• Super Contributor
« Reply #63 on: December 28, 2023, 10:32:12 am »
they know full well their product is crap, the battery is going to swell and the user isn't going to follow their instructions, therefore they can turn around to the user and say "you didn't follow instructions" while denying any warranty claims.

OK, so you now agree that there may be a battery issue (not necessarily swelling - reduced life is sufficient) if the device is left on charge past when it is fully charged?

• Super Contributor
« Reply #64 on: December 28, 2023, 10:33:02 am »

Offline Halcyon

• Global Moderator
« Reply #65 on: December 28, 2023, 10:45:42 am »
they know full well their product is crap, the battery is going to swell and the user isn't going to follow their instructions, therefore they can turn around to the user and say "you didn't follow instructions" while denying any warranty claims.

OK, so you now agree that there may be a battery issue (not necessarily swelling - reduced life is sufficient) if the device is left on charge past when it is fully charged?

It's not a matter of "now" agreeing with something, my stance and advice hasn't changed.

Suffice to say, that billions of phones are plugged in to charge overnight, every night and we aren't seeing a huge failure rate even after a few years. It would be misleading to say that leaving it plugged in like this will cause problems, or even premature failure.

With or without those "battery saving" technologies, all batteries degrade. How fast that happens largely depends on the device, your settings and your habits. As I said earlier 99% of consumers are not going to care (or even understand the science behind this) and will charge their phone so it's ready to go when they need it to be, and there is nothing wrong with doing that. As someone who does know, I still charge my phone every night*, even sometimes several times a day and I still use quick charge when I know I'm about to go out and I need extra charge in my phone.

*Something I have done since my first mobile phone in 1997.

Online IanB

• Super Contributor
« Reply #66 on: December 28, 2023, 11:17:12 am »
No-one has ever suggested that plugging a phone in every evening to charge overnight would cause a problem. Millions of people do that, and it evidently is a normal and expected way to use a phone.

What is being suggested is that if you take a phone, plug it into the charger, and leave it like that without unplugging it for several months, then that might cause a problem.

This is obviously hard to gather data for, since very few people do that with a phone. The whole point of a phone is that you carry it with you.

Siwastaja says that in theory that shouldn't cause a problem. What I say is that we don't know if every sample of a battery, and every embodiment of a battery and charging system out there, is without flaw in design or manufacture.

Enough people have reported problems with leaving a device plugged in and on charge for days, weeks, months continuously that it might be a problem. I think there is enough doubt in this area that it is not worth taking the risk.

The following users thanked this post: tooki

Offline Halcyon

• Global Moderator
« Reply #67 on: December 28, 2023, 11:39:39 am »
No-one has ever suggested that plugging a phone in every evening to charge overnight would cause a problem. Millions of people do that, and it evidently is a normal and expected way to use a phone.

What is being suggested is that if you take a phone, plug it into the charger, and leave it like that without unplugging it for several months, then that might cause a problem.

This is obviously hard to gather data for, since very few people do that with a phone. The whole point of a phone is that you carry it with you.

Siwastaja says that in theory that shouldn't cause a problem. What I say is that we don't know if every sample of a battery, and every embodiment of a battery and charging system out there, is without flaw in design or manufacture.

Enough people have reported problems with leaving a device plugged in and on charge for days, weeks, months continuously that it might be a problem. I think there is enough doubt in this area that it is not worth taking the risk.

Indeed. However one interesting piece of anecdotal evidence I can share is this: In my previous job, we did have a mobile phone which spent 90-95% of its life plugged into the charger. It was an old Samsung Galaxy S7 I think from memory, but in any case, it was used as an on-call phone. Most people when they were on-call simply diverted the number to their private phones so they didn't have to carry two phones around.

That original battery was still going strong mid last year. My only thoughts on this was that it had very low charge/discharge cycles and when it was off charge, it would only be for a few hours or half a day at most.

Despite how "bad" it may be to keep these types of batteries always at 100%, perhaps any damage was offset due to its low use and relatively easy life?

And before anyone has a dig at me saying that this doesn't prove anything: I realise this is a sample size of 1, so take it as you will.

Offline Siwastaja

• Super Contributor
« Reply #68 on: December 28, 2023, 07:18:02 pm »

It would need to be a very weird "feature", I'd say bug, because overnight charging already is a significant %, nearly 50% for some people, so upping that to 100% is not going to be a massive difference. But of course, anything can happen, faulty products and weird corner cases pop up every now and then, especially for something which does not see much testing. Although I think you might underestimate the number of people who use the phone plugged in for nearly 24/7. Think about those who drive for a living (bus, taxi, truck drivers etc.) who plug the phone in the car, and also for the night. It might be plugged in for 22 hours a day.

But of course, there might be a plain old bug which triggers when the phone has been continuously plugged in for, let's say 24.855 days, after which a signed 32-bit integer counting milliseconds wraps around, and maybe triggers increase of charge voltage from 4.20V to 4.40V. Or something like that. It is just way more likely that your battery was already in bad condition and not specifically killed by what you did, but without forensics, we are guessing.

Online IanB

• Super Contributor
« Reply #69 on: December 28, 2023, 11:15:43 pm »
It is just way more likely that your battery was already in bad condition and not specifically killed by what you did, but without forensics, we are guessing.

Yes, and I have read and absorbed what you have said, and I agree that this may be the case. I assume from the tone of your replies that you have some expertise in the matter, and expert opinions are always worth listening to.

Offline tooki

• Super Contributor
« Reply #70 on: December 30, 2023, 07:05:19 pm »

Because they'd get reamed for it. Recall what happened why they slowed phones down to make the batteries last a bit longer.
That is not at all what happened.

They got reamed, above all, for not explaining what it was doing (and why) from the start. They absolutely should have been transparent about the feature and how it operates, but people felt it got snuck in silently, and because of the lack of transparency, people didn’t see it as a “feature”, only as a limitation.

That function was not, and is not, to make the batteries last longer (cycle life (number of cycles)) or run longer (runtime of a charge). Its purpose is to limit maximum current consumption to a level that a degraded battery (=higher internal resistance) is still capable of reliably delivering, with the goal of preventing random shutdowns due to brownouts. This is why it doesn’t do it when a battery is in “healthy” condition, and why only heavy loads see a throttling effect.

Apple has often added new features and options to old hardware via software updates. That’s not controversial as such.

Which leads me to...

Suppose you (as a manufacturer) can control the battery charge in an on/off fashion. Once it gets up to whatever you consider fully charged you can flip the switch and the charge is turned off. Being clever, you can arrange that the battery is just fully charged when the user wakes up in the morning, either from monitoring their usual wake time or by looking at the set alarm. You can put off charging until the exact time before wakeup that it will take to charge, or you can wait until it's at 100% (or the preferred level), turn it off and then just before wake give it a couple of minutes to make up for what's since drained.

Magic. But what if the user has irregular hours and/or doesn't use the phone alarm? You could wait until full charge and then turn it off, but you wouldn't know when to do the last moment top up. The user could be taking it away in the next minute or they might've gone off on holiday, and you won't know until the cable is pulled. Is the top up important? I think it is, because if the user puts it on charge and then goes to use it and finds it at only 95% they will get a bit annoyed. Especially if it's habitual.

OK, so you can't afford (reputation-wise) to take it off charge unless you know how long it will be on charge (cf. alarm, etc). You could fake the charge - if the actual charge is 95% when the user pulls the cable you could say it's 100% and they'd never know, but then you'd have to fake the fall in charge during use because the user would notice an unaccountable step. I think Apple have tried something like this in the past and got roundly told off.
What are you talking about?

What practically all mobile devices do is to recalibrate the SoC meter regularly, so that 100% full means “100% of the battery’s current capacity” and not “100% of the battery’s original capacity”. My 3 year old iPhone SE (2020)’s battery, for example, shows its maximum capacity as 80% (meaning that the battery is now only capable of holding 80% as much energy as when it was new), but the SoC meter still shows 100% when it has reached that, because it’s 100% of what the battery can hold today. Any device that uses rechargeable batteries and aims to have an accurate battery SoC indicator will use a so-called “fuel gauge” IC, which uses a coulomb counter to track current going into and out of the battery, combined with complex characterization of the load, to give predictions about remaining run time, etc. (Even if your phone doesn’t display a countdown timer like laptops used to do, it’s still using it internally to know when it must begin an emergency shutdown of the OS.) Fuel gauge ICs use sophisticated algorithms to not only predict runtime, but also to track battery degradation so that the percentage and runtime estimates can remain accurate.

Offline tooki

• Super Contributor
« Reply #71 on: December 30, 2023, 07:08:23 pm »

It is, however, the fate of many a laptop battery: plugged in for months at a time and only occasionally run away from AC power. So I’d think that laptop manufacturers would have ample data to pass onto battery (and charger IC) suppliers.

Offline tooki

• Super Contributor
« Reply #72 on: December 30, 2023, 07:12:08 pm »

It would need to be a very weird "feature", I'd say bug, because overnight charging already is a significant %, nearly 50% for some people, so upping that to 100% is not going to be a massive difference. But of course, anything can happen, faulty products and weird corner cases pop up every now and then, especially for something which does not see much testing. Although I think you might underestimate the number of people who use the phone plugged in for nearly 24/7. Think about those who drive for a living (bus, taxi, truck drivers etc.) who plug the phone in the car, and also for the night. It might be plugged in for 22 hours a day.

But of course, there might be a plain old bug which triggers when the phone has been continuously plugged in for, let's say 24.855 days, after which a signed 32-bit integer counting milliseconds wraps around, and maybe triggers increase of charge voltage from 4.20V to 4.40V. Or something like that. It is just way more likely that your battery was already in bad condition and not specifically killed by what you did, but without forensics, we are guessing.
Well that’s reeeeeallly grasping at straws if you ask me.

Laptops, mobile phones, and cordless power tools have been in wide use for decades now, and even electric cars are now a reasonably mature technology, so there’s a deep base of real-world data to fall back on. Not to mention that manufacturers can do artificial tests additionally.

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf