Author Topic: uCurrent (GOLD) maximum current question  (Read 1615 times)

Offline mrTheWheelTopic starter

uCurrent (GOLD) maximum current question
« on: March 27, 2017, 01:46:05 am »
Hi,

I wonder if the uCurrent has a maximum allowed current to pass thru?

Somewhere in the documentation I find "The maximum current in the mA range is a nominal 300mA, as this is the contact rating of the switch. But in practice it can be higher than this." but I have no idea if this is the maximum that can be measured or the maximum before it will blow up the uCurrent.

I intent to use the uCurrent to measure the total power used of a micro controller during a complete cycle of wake/powering up, doing stuff and going to (deep) sleep.

The device can draw as much as 400mA - 800mA during operation and some uA during deep sleep. Of course I understand I can only use the uCurrent to measure the low currents but it is unpractical (if not impossible) to take the uCurrent out of the equation during the high power consumption.

Thanks in advance for any help on this!

Offline alm

• Super Contributor
Re: uCurrent (GOLD) maximum current question
« Reply #1 on: March 27, 2017, 11:21:39 am »
According to the µCurrent Gold project page, the maximum current on the highest range is 1250 mA, and could be further increased by feeding it a higher battery voltage. No mention of the 300 mA limit there, but to be safe, you could avoid switching current ranges while the device is operating.

The following users thanked this post: radzeck

Offline MLXXXp

• Frequent Contributor

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf