Author Topic: Best quality<300$ for binocular stereo microscope? for smd soldering  (Read 11939 times)

Offline gomarota

• Contributor
i have seen this:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/190812718855?_trksid=p2060778.m1438.l2649&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT

the purpose will be soldering smd, ive read lot of post and i think better choice is binocular stereo microscope for soldering smd rather than usb microscope like DIYINHK 1080P HD USB.

ive read 10x20x is good enought for have distance for have the hands with solder

can you tell me if its good or you will choose diferent one!

thanks

Offline KJDS

• Super Contributor
    • my website holding page
Re: Best quality<300$ for binocular stereo microscope? for smd soldering
« Reply #1 on: December 19, 2014, 12:37:53 pm »
I've had a few of those and whilst they are ok they are a bit impractical. The working distance is about as low as is reasonable, but the biggest problem is that there is a little too much magnification for general work. This restricts the field of view, which they have conveniently forgotten to put in their specification.

Offline gomarota

• Contributor
« Reply #2 on: December 19, 2014, 02:30:00 pm »
i see, i thought i have enought working distance for soldering.

can you recommend one below 300$?

thanks

Offline KJDS

• Super Contributor
    • my website holding page
« Reply #3 on: December 19, 2014, 02:46:40 pm »
i see, i thought i have enought working distance for soldering.

can you recommend one below 300$?

thanks

The working distance is ok. But all you'll be able to see is a very small area of the board, which is a bit of a nightmare. See if the manufacturer quotes the field of view.

I can't recommend one below $300, they're just more expensive than that. For occasional use the one you've listed will be ok, but I far far prefer using a microscope with a zoom

Offline robrenz

• Super Contributor
  • Real Machinist, Wannabe EE
« Reply #4 on: December 19, 2014, 03:01:50 pm »
The bare minimum I would recommend is this one. Contact the seller and ask to add the 0.5 barlow lens which will double your working distance and make the zoom range now 3.5x to 22.5 which is a ideal range.  I have had the trinocular version of this for years and it is awesome. 

Don't skimp a few dollars now and end up not happy. IMO zoom and the 0.5 barlow is essential.

A thread on my scope here

Offline gomarota

• Contributor
« Reply #5 on: December 25, 2014, 12:19:25 pm »
wow nice microscope, thanks for your advice i will consider it, nice thread.

the only problem is amscope is from US, im on europe, and the sending cost plus customs fees will make me pay additional 150 usd

anyone of you know one good distribuitor in europe?

thanks really

Offline awallin

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #6 on: December 25, 2014, 01:07:17 pm »

cheap and European don't go that well together  :-DD  Here's an edmund-branded one. No chance to go for Zeiss/Leica/etc. with a hobby budget..
http://www.edmundoptics.eu/microscopy/stereo-microscopes/edmund-e-zoom/2799

570eur head + 10x eyepieces
90eur rack& pinion stand #59-425
90eur 0.5x lens for 51.4 to 12.0mm FOV with 160mm WD

still need a LED ring-light but that can be a DIY build.
Let us know if you find something cheaper!

Offline Terabyte2007

• Frequent Contributor
  • It is purpose that created us... That defines us..
« Reply #7 on: December 25, 2014, 01:57:14 pm »
This is the one that I have. It seemed to be recommended by several websites and Youtube channels. So far, I really like this. Working distance is pretty good. Very clear and a bright high powered LED light on a flexible gooseneck to direct the light where you need it.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B005C75IVM/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o02_s01?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Eric Haney, MCSE, EE, DMC-D
Electronics Designer, Prototype Builder

Offline zapta

• Super Contributor
« Reply #8 on: December 26, 2014, 01:32:22 am »
The bare minimum I would recommend is this one. Contact the seller and ask to add the 0.5 barlow lens which will double your working distance and make the zoom range now 3.5x to 22.5 which is a ideal range.  I have had the trinocular version of this for years and it is awesome. 

Don't skimp a few dollars now and end up not happy. IMO zoom and the 0.5 barlow is essential.

A thread on my scope here

How does the barlow lens affect the eyepieces height? For example, if I add a 0.7 barlow, will it increase the working distance (and by the same amount the eyepiece level) by a factor of 1/0.7?

(I would like to have wider view with my AmScope but not to raise the eye pieces).
Drain the swamp.

Offline VK3DRB

• Super Contributor
« Reply #9 on: December 26, 2014, 02:26:33 am »
I found stereo binocular microscopes to be pretty much hopeless for electronics. A pain to use, you are hunched over, adjustment is annoying and the lighting mediocre.

The best vision device is a Vision Mantis, bar none. Beautifully engineered and you can solder all day without feeling fatigued. No need to wear glasses either if your eyes are pretty much the same.

Now consider the cost. These are very expensive new... around $4K+, depending upon the lenses. Thanks to manufacturing industries in the west closing down, a Vision Mantis can often be bought cheap. And because they are big, sometimes they are just pick-up only which drops the cost and competition. Also, you might want to check out non-eBay auction sites. I once saw a complete Vision Mantis on another local auction site that sold for $240 - I missed it by a week :palm:. Someone I know bought a perfect condition Vision Mantis including 3 lenses (2X, 4X and 6X) for $900 the lot. So if you have patience, shop around and eventually you will find one at a bargain price.

Quality is remembered long after the price is forgotten.
« Last Edit: December 26, 2014, 06:24:55 am by VK3DRB »

Offline gomarota

• Contributor
« Reply #10 on: December 26, 2014, 12:31:08 pm »
thanks for your replies guys, i found this website: http://www.gxoptical.com/html/gxm_stereo_microscopes.html#c2d

im searching for something similar to amscope according to your recommendations

i think they have "affordable" prices compared with other ones

Offline jay

• Regular Contributor
  • Coder
« Reply #11 on: December 26, 2014, 12:41:19 pm »
the only problem is amscope is from US, im on europe, and the sending cost plus customs fees will make me pay additional 150 usd

I wasted plenty of time looking for a cheap microscope from Europe |O It's annoying to see how cheap the equivalent chinese scopes like Amscope are in the US. I eventually got a Bresser Briorit ICD CS. It's easily available for 200-270 euros. IIRC, I got it delivered home for ~300 euros but that included extra accessories like oculars for 5x and 20x magnification in addition to the standard 10x). Another option that I found was Zenith STL80 that went for 200 euros (from UK, shipping to here wasn't too bad) but my price info is from spring/early summer 2014.

The Bresser microscope is good enough for my hobby use. If compared to the 2-4kEUR microscopes at work it's crap in so many different ways. Field of vision is narrow, depth focus is bad, the light is dim (and light angle could be better) and so on, but at least it has nice working distance and it's cheap. I have no regrets for choosing it: it's actually better than I was expecting :D

p.s. I got the 20x magnification option for other purposes than electronics. For soldering 10x is already a bit too much unless working on something really small like 0201 passive size or smaller. If you need to go that small it's probably a good reason to invest more in microscope.
SW engineer trying to design HW because it's more fun.

Offline tggzzz

• Super Contributor
    • Having fun doing more, with less
« Reply #12 on: December 26, 2014, 03:46:55 pm »
If you haven't already tried a head-mounte binocular magnifying visor, something like http://www.maplin.co.uk/p/rolson-2-led-12x-18x-25x-and-35x-magnifying-visor-n70fk might work for you. Certainly I find them better than the microscopes available to me, and they have the advantage of being much cheaper.
There are lies, damned lies, statistics - and ADC/DAC specs.
Glider pilot's aphorism: "there is no substitute for span". Retort: "There is a substitute: skill+imagination. But you can buy span".
Having fun doing more, with less

Offline nadona

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #13 on: December 26, 2014, 11:07:13 pm »
If you haven't already tried a head-mounte binocular magnifying visor, something like http://www.maplin.co.uk/p/rolson-2-led-12x-18x-25x-and-35x-magnifying-visor-n70fk might work for you. Certainly I find them better than the microscopes available to me, and they have the advantage of being much cheaper.

+1   smart choice!
Ha-ha-ha. That's good, too!

Offline zapta

• Super Contributor
« Reply #14 on: December 27, 2014, 03:06:03 am »

+1   smart choice!

I am using OptiVisor and it's very useful but my cheapo Amscope beats it hands down when I need to really work with small SMT components or inspect soldering.  The two are not even in the same league. YMMV.
Drain the swamp.

Offline tggzzz

• Super Contributor
    • Having fun doing more, with less
There are lies, damned lies, statistics - and ADC/DAC specs.
Glider pilot's aphorism: "there is no substitute for span". Retort: "There is a substitute: skill+imagination. But you can buy span".
Having fun doing more, with less

Offline gomarota

• Contributor
« Reply #16 on: December 27, 2014, 07:06:56 pm »
hi friends

after hours and hours i think amscope are chinese with amscope logo and i tried to find supplier for get it directly and try not to pay the custom fees

what about this:
http://china-microscope.en.made-in-china.com/product/HBimxqVoXakF/China-7X-45X-Zoom-Stereo-Microscope.html

i think its the same than robrenz recommends me:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/7X-45X-Stereo-Zoom-Microscope-with-Single-Arm-Boom-Stand-/140927274133?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item20cfeb8c95

what do you think?

Offline zapta

• Super Contributor
Re: Best quality&lt;300$ for binocular stereo microscope? for smd soldering
« Reply #17 on: December 27, 2014, 08:36:06 pm »
You will also need some good light (e.g led light ring) and shipping may be expensive due to the weight. Looks nice otherwise.
Drain the swamp.

Offline gomarota

• Contributor
« Reply #18 on: December 27, 2014, 11:13:38 pm »
thanks i will note it down i have to get one 0,5 barlow lens and light ring, if there is other recomendation about it please tell me, what about camera for it?

i think i will go for it because detailed explanation from robrenz was very nice, anyway i will read a little more post, i dont want to regret when i buy it.

Offline zapta

• Super Contributor
Re: Best quality&lt;300$ for binocular stereo microscope? for smd soldering
« Reply #19 on: December 27, 2014, 11:31:29 pm »
thanks i will note it down i have to get one 0,5 barlow lens and light ring, if there is other recomendation about it please tell me, what about camera for it?

i think i will go for it because detailed explanation from robrenz was very nice, anyway i will read a little more post, i dont want to regret when i buy it.

I would give it a try before buying a Barlow lense, unless if it's only $10-20 but some light is very important.
Drain the swamp.

Offline gomarota

• Contributor
« Reply #20 on: December 28, 2014, 08:38:57 am »
yes barlow lense is cheap enough, is ~25usd

actually i see more confortable to use these flex arm,
http://www.alibaba.com/product-detail/New-SM-Series-7X-45X-High_1682254396.html

i want for solder task and move the microscope and have more work space

Offline zapta

• Super Contributor
« Reply #21 on: December 28, 2014, 08:56:24 am »
yes barlow lense is cheap enough, is ~25usd

actually i see more confortable to use these flex arm,
http://www.alibaba.com/product-detail/New-SM-Series-7X-45X-High_1682254396.html

i want for solder task and move the microscope and have more work space

$25 is a good price. The Amscope are more expensive here.   

I have no experience with that stand, may be handy, may be unstable compared to the boom stand. Others may know better.
Drain the swamp.

Offline JuKu

• Frequent Contributor
    • LitePlacer - The Low Cost DIY Pick and Place Machine
« Reply #22 on: December 30, 2014, 10:47:19 am »
thanks for your replies guys, i found this website: http://www.gxoptical.com/html/gxm_stereo_microscopes.html#c2d

im searching for something similar to amscope according to your recommendations

i think they have "affordable" prices compared with other ones
I wrote about that as my very first post on the forum: https://www.eevblog.com/forum/reviews/incredibly-good-boom-mount-stereo-zoom-microscope-for-incredible-price/msg50200/#msg50200
http://www.liteplacer.com - The Low Cost DIY Pick and Place Machine

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf