Author Topic: Best solder cleaner holder ever?  (Read 1269 times)

Offline JustMeHereTopic starter

• Frequent Contributor
Best solder cleaner holder ever?
« on: February 22, 2024, 09:44:44 pm »
This thing is so perfect.  See photo
« Last Edit: February 25, 2024, 07:42:49 am by JustMeHere »

The following users thanked this post: 5U4GB

Offline SiliconWizard

• Super Contributor
Re: Best solder cleaner ever?
« Reply #1 on: February 22, 2024, 11:14:43 pm »
Weird. :D

Online xrunner

• Super Contributor
  • hp>Agilent>Keysight>???
« Reply #2 on: February 22, 2024, 11:31:40 pm »
I would jump at a chance to have one.  ;D
I told my friends I could teach them to be funny, but they all just laughed at me.

The following users thanked this post: bill_c

Online tooki

• Super Contributor
« Reply #3 on: February 24, 2024, 07:19:27 pm »
Basically any salt pig can be stuffed with brass wool and used as a solder cleaner — even one shaped like a frog! However, I don’t like using a holder made of anything but rubber or plastic, so that inadvertent contact with the container won’t cause tip damage.

Ersa’s soldering iron holders are made entirely of rubber. Weller makes a lovely cleaner holder made of plastic (T0051512499), which is probably my second-favorite after JBC’s — but JBC’s standalone CL costs €80! All of these have rubber wiper edges you can use to wipe off chip components that are stuck to to the tip, should you want to recover them. (Do not get the cute, cheap Weller WLACCBSH-02: the bottom is closed with a disc of metal that is not that tight, so after a bit of use it starts leaking solder dust out of the bottom!) Atten and others make all-rubber holders too.

Online selcuk

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #4 on: February 24, 2024, 08:20:17 pm »
JBC salesman told me that the tip cleaner coming with the station had 3 types of cleaning mechanism. But brass wool could scratch the coating of the tip, wet sponge could give a thermal shock to the heating element. So he unofficially recommended to use only the edge of the silicon base for regular cleaning.

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #5 on: February 25, 2024, 07:42:26 am »
I would jump at a chance to have one.  ;D

I was tired of seeing it by the sink and got an idea one night. 

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #6 on: February 25, 2024, 07:45:48 am »
JBC salesman told me that the tip cleaner coming with the station had 3 types of cleaning mechanism. But brass wool could scratch the coating of the tip, wet sponge could give a thermal shock to the heating element. So he unofficially recommended to use only the edge of the silicon base for regular cleaning.

Never had a problem with the brass damaging a tip.  It's a very soft metal.  This is why it is used to clean gun barrels.  It won't damage them. 

In fact, I abuse the hell out of my tips.  Clean up is just a dip in some flux gel and a few dabs in the brass.  Tip clean and shiny.

Online Ian.M

• Super Contributor
Re: Best solder cleaner holder ever?
« Reply #7 on: February 25, 2024, 09:33:23 am »
Lets do a bit more debunking!   The classic 'wet sponge' is meant to be barely damp.  Yes, get it good and wet at least once a day to flush away contaminants, but then squeeze it out till its barely damp.  If its swimming in water you are using it wrong.   With that said, the thermal shock of putting the tip on a large solder joint to reheat it is greater than that of wiping it on a damp sponge.  :horse:

Offline gamalot

• Super Contributor
  • Correct my English
    • Youtube
« Reply #8 on: February 25, 2024, 09:48:13 am »
Basically any salt pig can be stuffed with brass wool and used as a solder cleaner — even one shaped like a frog! However, I don’t like using a holder made of anything but rubber or plastic, so that inadvertent contact with the container won’t cause tip damage.

Wow! I learned a new English word.

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #9 on: February 25, 2024, 10:09:47 am »
However, I don’t like using a holder made of anything but rubber or plastic, so that inadvertent contact with the container won’t cause tip damage.

Way too many myths about "tip damage" on this board.  The ceramic would crack before you could hit it hard enough to damage a tip. 

Offline mendip_discovery

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #10 on: February 25, 2024, 10:33:58 am »
Myths are what forums are about. The more outlandish the better.
Motorcyclist, Nerd, and I work in a Calibration Lab :-)
--
So everyone is clear, Calibration = Taking Measurement against a known source, Verification = Checking Calibration against Specification, Adjustment = Adjusting the unit to be within specifications.

Online coppercone2

• Super Contributor
  • $
« Reply #11 on: February 25, 2024, 11:09:28 am »
its kind of a concern for high reliability you don't want iron plating to get in your solder joints, but also that means don't use a 30 year old tip if your soldering a sat

this info will be very useful if we become poor people in deep space one day, like starcraft terrans that use their great great great grandfathers soldering iron to touch up the FTL drive while saving enough money for canned beans. son you scratch that sodder eye-ron one more time and ima be madder then a puffed toad.

when $25 is capital equipment money.
« Last Edit: February 25, 2024, 11:14:21 am by coppercone2 »

Online tooki

• Super Contributor
« Reply #12 on: February 25, 2024, 11:26:56 am »
However, I don’t like using a holder made of anything but rubber or plastic, so that inadvertent contact with the container won’t cause tip damage.

Way too many myths about "tip damage" on this board.  The ceramic would crack before you could hit it hard enough to damage a tip.
1. There are many materials besides ceramic that are not rubber or plastic,
2. Not all ceramics are fragile.
3. Tips are much more fragile when they’re hot.

Online coppercone2

• Super Contributor
  • $
« Reply #13 on: February 25, 2024, 11:37:01 am »
this is actually a realistic thing you might hear at work if you try to personalize your work area.

that frogs not regulation!!!

i wonder how long it would last at the tesla car company

Offline EPAIII

• Super Contributor
« Reply #14 on: February 26, 2024, 11:15:27 am »
Yes, I must agree. Brass brushes are used to clean gun and rifle barrels. Doesn't hurt them. Modern soldering iron tips are steel coated so should be a similar situation.

Just be sure your brass wool is actually brass and not brass coated steel. Test with a magnet.

Never had a problem with the brass damaging a tip.  It's a very soft metal.  This is why it is used to clean gun barrels.  It won't damage them. 

In fact, I abuse the hell out of my tips.  Clean up is just a dip in some flux gel and a few dabs in the brass.  Tip clean and shiny.
Paul A.  -   SE Texas
And if you look REAL close at an analog signal,
You will find that it has discrete steps.

Offline EPAIII

• Super Contributor
« Reply #15 on: February 26, 2024, 11:18:23 am »
Again I must totally agree. I have used the wet sponge for decades and never saw any tip damage, even with a lot of water on the sponge. I prefer the brass wool because most work benches of my experience are a distance from the nearest sink so getting the water is a PITA and time consuming. I would keep a bottle of water on the bench - one more thing to spill.

Brass wool works great! Wet sponge works great! Never saw either do any damage. Next thing they are going to say is one of those $500+ soldering stations are a necessity and lamp cord is not good for speakers. I think they have stock in some of these companies that make the expensive gadgets and supplies.

Some people have entirely too much time on their hands and must invent things to worry about and do.

Lets do a bit more debunking!   The classic 'wet sponge' is meant to be barely damp.  Yes, get it good and wet at least once a day to flush away contaminants, but then squeeze it out till its barely damp.  If its swimming in water you are using it wrong.   With that said, the thermal shock of putting the tip on a large solder joint to reheat it is greater than that of wiping it on a damp sponge.  :horse:
« Last Edit: February 26, 2024, 11:23:58 am by EPAIII »
Paul A.  -   SE Texas
And if you look REAL close at an analog signal,
You will find that it has discrete steps.

Online tooki

• Super Contributor
« Reply #16 on: February 29, 2024, 07:48:13 pm »
Yes, I must agree. Brass brushes are used to clean gun and rifle barrels. Doesn't hurt them. Modern soldering iron tips are steel coated so should be a similar situation.
Brass brushes are also used to clean soldering iron tips. Many motorized tip cleaners use them inside.

Online coppercone2

• Super Contributor
  • $
« Reply #17 on: February 29, 2024, 09:49:58 pm »
well what would happen if a iron flake got stuck in a solder joint in voyager and caused a solder joint to pop 30 years later?

it does have its uses to maintain plating integrity.

I heard similar stories about turbines, that the nickel plating on service wrenches must be vetted (i.e. snapon process) to ensure that there is less chance of plating that flakes off, and get into a bearing or whatever. The idea is that the plating integrity on a subpar process or a damaged/stressed wrench brings too much risk to the device its servicing.

It also sounds like a good way  to make someone buy the expensive version for no god damn reason most of the time.  |O

« Last Edit: February 29, 2024, 09:53:30 pm by coppercone2 »

Online tooki

• Super Contributor
« Reply #18 on: March 02, 2024, 07:44:22 am »
When the iron plating in a soldering iron tip fails, you notice long before flaking becomes a concern: the copper under the plating quickly dissolves in the molten solder, causing pitting. It’s not a subtle effect.

Offline 5U4GB

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #19 on: March 02, 2024, 09:55:58 am »
Myths are what forums are about. The more outlandish the better.
  -- Joseph Stalin, 1941.

Offline RoGeorge

• Super Contributor
« Reply #20 on: March 02, 2024, 10:13:02 am »
any salt pig can be stuffed with brass wool and used as a solder cleaner

Wow! I learned a new English word.

Pighole?  ;D

Offline Psi

• Super Contributor
« Reply #21 on: March 02, 2024, 10:30:24 am »
So, who is going to update the work instructions to put these on the production line ?   :-DD
Greek letter 'Psi' (not Pounds per Square Inch)

Offline 5U4GB

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #22 on: March 02, 2024, 11:15:26 am »
Just be sure your brass wool is actually brass and not brass coated steel. Test with a magnet.

Also check that it's not Chinese brass aka. anodised aluminium, which is very popular as a brass substitute in products from there.

Online watchmaker

• Frequent Contributor
  • Self Study in EE
    • Precision Timepiece Restoration and Service
« Reply #23 on: March 02, 2024, 11:56:54 am »
Just go to your neighborhood machinist and ask him/her/them for their brass swarf. Wash it you are good to go.  I have been in shops where the machinist was up to his ankles in swarf during a run.
Regards,

Dewey

The following users thanked this post: 5U4GB

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf