Author Topic: better cpu then i7 2600k  (Read 4952 times)

Offline sony mavicaTopic starter

• Frequent Contributor
better cpu then i7 2600k
« on: May 04, 2018, 01:08:25 am »
going to be building a new pc using the giftcards and paypal money i get from doing surveys and other offers online

i am hoping to build something better then my pc i have no that is a

i7 2600k
8gb ram
gts 450
2x 1tb hdd

people keep telling me just to upgrade the gpu in this computer as the cpu is still really good but i really want to build a new pc

was looking at getting a Intel Core i5-8400 but not sure if its going to be much better 
MORE POWER!

Offline Mr. Scram

• Super Contributor
  • Display aficionado
Re: better cpu then i7 2600k
« Reply #1 on: May 04, 2018, 01:21:34 am »
Didn't we have a thread like this before?

In what ways isn't your current computer satisfactory, what should your new computer be able to do and what is the budget?

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #2 on: May 04, 2018, 01:32:08 am »
Didn't we have a thread like this before?

In what ways isn't your current computer satisfactory, what should your new computer be able to do and what is the budget?

really just want to build a new computer that is faster then my old i7 2600k computer the old i7 computer does everything i need ok granted its is a little slow but the giftcards i have will expire soon and i will be giving my nephew another old computer that i use from time to time to play games or watch videos ect on its a q6600 6gb ram gt 710 1gb 1tb hdd so would be nice to be able to replace it with a new pc i built and not have the giftcards go to waist
« Last Edit: May 04, 2018, 01:35:26 am by sony mavica »
MORE POWER!

Offline Mr. Scram

• Super Contributor
  • Display aficionado
« Reply #3 on: May 04, 2018, 01:35:14 am »
really just want to build a new computer that is faster then my old  computer the old computer does everything i need ok granted its is a little slow but the giftcards i have will expire soon and i will be giving my nephew my old computer that i use from time to time to play games or watch videos ect on its a q6600 6gb ram gt 710 1gb 1tb hdd so would be nice to be able to replace it with a new pc i built and not have the giftcards go to waist
So what's the budget and what should this computer be able to do?

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #4 on: May 04, 2018, 01:46:39 am »
really just want to build a new computer that is faster then my old  computer the old computer does everything i need ok granted its is a little slow but the giftcards i have will expire soon and i will be giving my nephew my old computer that i use from time to time to play games or watch videos ect on its a q6600 6gb ram gt 710 1gb 1tb hdd so would be nice to be able to replace it with a new pc i built and not have the giftcards go to waist

right now i can build this with the money i have have right now but will get more parts latter like gpu more ram larger hdd or ssd ect

motherboard
case
cpu Intel Core i5-8400
1tb hdd
4gb ram
650w psu

$588nzd

there not much i really want the computer to be able to do just as long as it faster then my i7 2600k for video editing gaming and around daily use ect

that why i wanted to know what cpu to go for when i do build my pc
« Last Edit: May 04, 2018, 01:50:42 am by sony mavica »
MORE POWER!

Online tautech

• Super Contributor
  • Taupaki Technologies Ltd. Siglent Distributor NZ.
    • Taupaki Technologies Ltd.
« Reply #5 on: May 04, 2018, 01:50:50 am »
Where's the SSD in that list ?  :scared:

CPU's, how deep's your pocket ?
https://www.cpubenchmark.net/high_end_cpus.html
Avid Rabid Hobbyist
Siglent Youtube channel: https://www.youtube.com/@SiglentVideo/videos

Offline Ampera

• Super Contributor
    • Ampera's Forums
« Reply #6 on: May 04, 2018, 01:52:30 am »
What's faster than a 2600k?

A 2700k.

There's a certain price to performance point you have to hit versus what you already have in order to make an upgrade worthwhile. Let me explain.

I have an i7-4790k, which is a decent chip. If I were to spend 329 + board on a Ryzen 7 2700X, the performance increase I would get wouldn't be worth the money I put in. I could of course sell my old gear, but it still may not be worth it. I also wouldn't get any improvement in my use cases as my i7 is perfect for what I am doing right now.

If serious cheap CPU performance is needed (and your tasks are multithreaded friendly) I suggest going on eBay and finding the biggest and cheapest server you can find.

As for what people are telling you, if you're unhappy with what we are saying, stop asking. This is the second post you've made on this topic, and it's the second time I will tell you, the only potential improvement you can make is graphical for the money. SSD would also go well too.

If you want it to seem like you have a new computer, get a newer, nicer case, throw a new copy of Windows on it, get an SSD. Your CPU is seriously the strongest part of your machine, and changing it for something else would be foolish.

If your board supports more RAM, get it.

If, after all this, you can't manage to keep your i7-2600k, I suggest something Ryzen. Halcyon might try to beat Intel into you, but Ryzen is truly a workstation performance darling, with great gaming performance to boot (which isn't CPU dependent anyways). The Zen+ series of chips are doing really well right now, and depending on your budget, one of them would be a great idea.

There are also more maverick things, like the server idea I stated, or just buying a load of Sandy Bridge Xeons and throwing them in a box, but for new gear, Ryzen is the current contender. They have tons of PCIe, cheap boards, great performance, less bullshit locked down stuff like what Intel does.

CPU's, how deep's your pocket ?

That's another thing. You give us no idea what sort of money you have. We don't know if you have 2000 dollars or 200 dollars, so all we can do is give you generic advice you don't like anyways. If you're going to be vague about it, go bother the people at LTT's forums.
I forget who I am sometimes, but then I remember that it's probably not worth remembering.
EEVBlog IRC Admin - Join us on irc.austnet.org #eevblog

Offline Mr. Scram

• Super Contributor
  • Display aficionado
« Reply #7 on: May 04, 2018, 01:53:44 am »
Where's the GPU?

Offline Ampera

• Super Contributor
    • Ampera's Forums
« Reply #8 on: May 04, 2018, 01:55:31 am »
Where's the GPU?

i7 2600k
8gb ram
gts 450 <-----
2x 1tb hdd

Terribly old bottom of the bottom of the range Fermi (Furnie). This is the main weak spot of this system if he is doing ANYTHING GPU related.
I forget who I am sometimes, but then I remember that it's probably not worth remembering.

The following users thanked this post: NiHaoMike

Online tautech

• Super Contributor
« Reply #9 on: May 04, 2018, 02:03:24 am »
Where's the GPU?

i7 2600k
8gb ram
gts 450 <-----
2x 1tb hdd

Terribly old bottom of the bottom of the range Fermi (Furnie). This is the main weak spot of this system if he is doing ANYTHING GPU related.
Yep the support HW can make the biggest speed improvement....
Good fast GPU
SSD, and big enough for your OS and all your load time hungry SW.
And a big bunch of RAM.

Careful study of the CPU specs is important to select one with with good cache capacities.
Avid Rabid Hobbyist

Offline Mr. Scram

• Super Contributor
  • Display aficionado
« Reply #10 on: May 04, 2018, 02:04:01 am »
i7 2600k
8gb ram
gts 450 <-----
2x 1tb hdd

I've seen the one in the old system, but where's the one in the new system? The one major item that needs a swap isn't even addressed.

Offline Ampera

• Super Contributor
    • Ampera's Forums
« Reply #11 on: May 04, 2018, 03:54:26 am »
i7 2600k
8gb ram
gts 450 <-----
2x 1tb hdd

I've seen the one in the old system, but where's the one in the new system? The one major item that needs a swap isn't even addressed.

He's asking us for suggestions on PC hardware.

Online tautech

• Super Contributor
« Reply #12 on: May 04, 2018, 08:39:39 am »

right now i can build this with the money i have have right now but will get more parts latter like gpu more ram larger hdd or ssd ect

motherboard
case
cpu Intel Core i5-8400
1tb hdd
4gb ram
650w psu

$588nzd

there not much i really want the computer to be able to do just as long as it faster then my i7 2600k for video editing gaming and around daily use ect

that why i wanted to know what cpu to go for when i do build my pc
If you check the CPU rating link I provided the i5-8400 whips the i7:
https://www.cpubenchmark.net/cpu.php?cpu=Intel+Core+i5-8400+%40+2.80GHz&id=3097
https://www.cpubenchmark.net/cpu.php?cpu=Intel+Core+i7-2600K+%40+3.40GHz&id=868

However the best $ improvement to PC performance is an SSD even just a little one that houses the OS.
First one I installed in a dual core about 4 builds ago was just 60Gb and it cut boot times by 75%. (IIRC ~30s for Win7)
Latest (this one) is nothing flash, just i3 3.6G, 8 G ram, OB graphics, 120Gb SSD and 1Tb HD and boots W10 in less than 10 s.
8 G of RAM seems a piss ant amount for anything serious and while it's enough for my use I'd want 16G min in a 4 slot mobo to take advantage of dual channel RAM configurations for something like real performance.
Avid Rabid Hobbyist

The following users thanked this post: sony mavica

Offline hayatepilot

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #13 on: May 04, 2018, 08:43:22 am »

motherboard
case
cpu Intel Core i5-8400
1tb hdd
4gb ram
650w psu

$588nzd

I would choose a AMD Ryzen 5 2600 with a B350 Mainboard. It is faster than the 8400 and overclockable on top of that for about the same price.
You need to get a SSD instead of the HDD this makes the biggest difference in speed.
4GB RAM is not much today, Chrome will eat that for breakfast.  ;) Better go with 8GB.

Greetings

Online tautech

• Super Contributor
« Reply #14 on: May 04, 2018, 08:47:31 am »

motherboard
case
cpu Intel Core i5-8400
1tb hdd
4gb ram
650w psu

$588nzd

I would choose a AMD Ryzen 5 2600 with a B350 Mainboard. It is faster than the 8400 and overclockable on top of that for about the same price.
You need to get a SSD instead of the HDD this makes the biggest difference in speed.
4GB RAM is not much today, Chrome will eat that for breakfast.  ;) Better go with 8GB.

Greetings
Exactly.
I was at 12G before and the 8 I have now is just enough for ~40 tabs open.
Next build I'll go back to 12G or if I upgrade this build 2x 8G sticks.
Avid Rabid Hobbyist

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #15 on: May 04, 2018, 09:33:54 am »

motherboard
case
cpu Intel Core i5-8400
1tb hdd
4gb ram
650w psu

$588nzd

Greetings

cool the Ryzen 5 2600 is only $24 more then the i5 might look at getting that cpu then
MORE POWER!

Offline nctnico

• Super Contributor
    • NCT Developments
« Reply #16 on: May 04, 2018, 09:37:59 am »
An SSD will be the best investment to make your current system faster. So start with the SSD, install 16GB of memory, disable virtual memory (you don't need it but it makes Windows very slow and it will trash the SSD) and go from there.
There are small lies, big lies and then there is what is on the screen of your oscilloscope.

Offline bob225

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #17 on: May 04, 2018, 09:46:47 am »
A new boot ssd and upgrade the ram to 16gb or even 32gb you will notice a marked performance increase

Depending on the video software your graphics card is a major bottleneck

Why would you go from 8gb to just 4gb ?, 8gb is the bare minimum i will spec on any new build let alone video rendering pc

be careful with motherboard selection and make sure its compatible with the cpu

imho you have your priorities wrong

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #18 on: May 04, 2018, 09:55:04 am »
A new boot ssd and upgrade the ram to 16gb or even 32gb you will notice a marked performance increase

Depending on the video software your graphics card is a major bottleneck

Why would you go from 8gb to just 4gb ?, 8gb is the bare minimum i will spec on any new build let alone video rendering pc

be careful with motherboard selection and make sure its compatible with the cpu

imho you have your priorities wrong

i do want 16gb but for now my budget i can only get 4gb but i will probably just wait till i can get 2 8gb sticks or get a motherboard that supports 4 ram sticks then upgrade to 32gb when i get more money i will also get an ssd when i do build my new pc

« Last Edit: May 04, 2018, 09:57:08 am by sony mavica »
MORE POWER!

Online Halcyon

• Global Moderator
« Reply #19 on: May 04, 2018, 09:59:05 am »
An SSD will be the best investment to make your current system faster. So start with the SSD, install 16GB of memory, disable virtual memory (you don't need it but it makes Windows very slow and it will trash the SSD) and go from there.

Absolutely agree. By just installing an SSD as your boot drive, you will make the most profound improvement. I still use a 12 year old HP laptop to this day, the only thing that has changed is I swapped the 240GB HDD for an SSD and it works brilliantly, even with it's very limited 4GB RAM.

Offline Mr. Scram

• Super Contributor
  • Display aficionado
« Reply #20 on: May 04, 2018, 10:00:26 am »
He's asking us for suggestions on PC hardware.
I feel we're somehow miscommunicating. As far as I know and I'm concerned, video cards are part of PC hardware. He's asking for advice on a new system and one of the weakest parts of his current system isn't improved upon in the new system. I'm not even sure he's intending to swap out the current card to the new system, in which case he would have to do without a discrete GPU entirely.

If you want to improve useful performance, I'd suggest spending most of the budget on a proper and modern video card. That should breathe new life into the system. Buy a nice SSD from the remaining money and you have a nice system that will last you while you save to replace the rest. Doing it in reverse means limping wih an unbalanced system for a while until the rest can be replaced.

Offline ludzinc

• Supporter
    • My Misadventures In Engineering
« Reply #21 on: May 04, 2018, 11:18:16 am »
going to be building a new pc using the giftcards and paypal money i get from doing surveys and other offers online

i am hoping to build something better then my pc i have no that is a

i7 2600k
8gb ram
gts 450
2x 1tb hdd

people keep telling me just to upgrade the gpu in this computer as the cpu is still really good but i really want to build a new pc

was looking at getting a Intel Core i5-8400 but not sure if its going to be much better

*better than

Offline hayatepilot

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #22 on: May 04, 2018, 11:29:18 am »

cool the Ryzen 5 2600 is only $24 more then the i5 might look at getting that cpu then

Keep in mind, that the Ryzen doesn't have integrated graphics. So you will need a GPU to boot.
Any PCI-E GPU will do in the beginning until you have saved up for a decent graphics card.

The same goes for RAM, I would get one 8GB stick and buy another one a couple months later. Performance wise 1x8GB is only marginally slower than 2x4GB.
Look also for a mainboard with 4 RAM slots for future expandability.
RAM and GPU prices have peaked recently and will probably (and hopefully) come down again.
I would also consider looking for used RAM (and GPU). As they do not age you can save money if the budget is really tight.

Greetings

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #23 on: May 04, 2018, 11:34:33 am »

Keep in mind, that the Ryzen doesn't have integrated graphics. So you will need a GPU to boot.
Any PCI-E GPU will do in the beginning until you have saved up for a decent graphics card.

The same goes for RAM, I would get one 8GB stick and buy another one a couple months later. Performance wise 1x8GB is only marginally slower than 2x4GB.
Look also for a mainboard with 4 RAM slots for future expandability.
RAM and GPU prices have peaked recently and will probably (and hopefully) come down again.
I would also consider looking for used RAM (and GPU). As they do not age you can save money if the budget is really tight.

Greetings

cool i have an old 512mb video card i will use till i have enough for a new video card
MORE POWER!

Offline paulca

• Super Contributor
« Reply #24 on: May 04, 2018, 12:17:12 pm »
I'll pitch in with the other who have already said.

If you want to make that system faster spend your money on a better GPU and an SSD.  The slowest thing in a computer is accessing storage.  Lots of RAM will help limit reocurring disk access due to caching, but only SSD, PCIe, M.2 drives significantly reduce initial access times.

8Gb is fine for 90% of casual gaming and desktop tasks.
The i7 you have is fine.
The GPU is ancient as I expect your gaming experience is poor or your quality and detail sliders are well to the left.

For CPU, RAM, etc.  I would usually wait until you can double your performance before upgrading.  That said I broke my own rules and upgraded from a Piledriver FX 9590 to a Ryzen 7 2700X this week.
"What could possibly go wrong?"
Current Open Projects:  STM32F411RE+ESP32+TFT for home IoT (NoT) projects.  Child's advent xmas countdown toy.  Digital audio routing board.

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf