Author Topic: BEWARE of fake EEVblog NFT's  (Read 12798 times)

Offline EEVblogTopic starter

• Administrator
    • EEVblog
BEWARE of fake EEVblog NFT's
« on: January 15, 2022, 10:36:08 pm »

The following users thanked this post: SeanB

Online MK14

• Super Contributor
Re: BEWARE of fake EEVblog NFT's
« Reply #1 on: January 15, 2022, 10:47:02 pm »
I'm sorry, that you are having that problem. It is sad that you have to waste time on things like that, because of scammers (or whatever they should be called).

I still don't really understand what the heck an NFT is, given we already have copyright, patents, property ownership, domain names etc. Why do we need NFTs as well ?
It is sounding a bit like bitcoin.

Offline Benta

• Super Contributor
« Reply #2 on: January 15, 2022, 10:58:17 pm »
Ignore it.
If someone thinks they can make money out of "crypto"-stuff, let them. When they're broke, it ends automatically then.

"Never give a sucker an even break." W.C. Fields.

The following users thanked this post: EEEnthusiast

Offline MadTux

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #3 on: January 15, 2022, 11:07:19 pm »
Hopefully all that crypto cancer goes bust, like dotcom back then.
My compassion will be similar as with those banksters back in '07-09...

Online SiliconWizard

• Super Contributor
« Reply #4 on: January 15, 2022, 11:14:48 pm »
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Non-fungible_token

The problem is not making money out of "crypto stuff". Anyone is free to buy and sell cryptocurrencies. You may or may not find that immoral or whatever, but it's (usually) not illegal.

Problem here is that NFT are non-fungible (so if you think cryptocurrencies are a waste of energy, for instance, NFTs are way worse in that respect.)

But the real problem, regarding EEVblog, is that the guy uses EEVblog's image/branding without any consent - which is just fraudulent. The fact it's NFT only marginally matters.

As to why those things sell these days? Go figure. People have, do and will buy stuff because it's hype. And not being physical goods, it doesn't take up any of their available space (compared to a physical painting or sculpture, for instance), so I guess they find it convenient. Or something.

Offline NiHaoMike

• Super Contributor
  • "Don't turn it on - Take it apart!"
    • Facebook Page
« Reply #5 on: January 16, 2022, 12:56:53 am »
I'm hoping that energy efficient cryptocurrencies become the norm. That can be cryptocurrencies that use little energy to mine or cryptocurrencies where the "mining" does useful work (or both). Main problem is that thus far, none of them have been truly popular or have remained efficient in the long term.
Cryptocurrency has taught me to love math and at the same time be baffled by it.

Cryptocurrency lesson 0: Altcoins and Bitcoin are not the same thing.

Offline nctnico

• Super Contributor
    • NCT Developments
« Reply #6 on: January 16, 2022, 01:29:32 am »
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Non-fungible_token

As to why those things sell these days? Go figure. People have, do and will buy stuff because it's hype. And not being physical goods, it doesn't take up any of their available space (compared to a physical painting or sculpture, for instance), so I guess they find it convenient. Or something.
Actually there is more to NFTs than that. An NFT is a certificate of ownership based on a distributed ledger (DLT). It is definitely not cryptocurrency!

The value of a NFT is based on the (digital) object it represents. It seems to be gaining quite a bit of traction in the (digital) art world because it allows multiple people to become part owner of a piece (*) and the artist can choose to receive a kickback for every transaction.

* There are organisations /systems which allow people to invest in expensive objects (art, historical, etc)  and trade the ownerships like shares. NFTs bring the ability to trade ownership without needing a middle man like auction houses etc.
There are small lies, big lies and then there is what is on the screen of your oscilloscope.

Offline eti

• Super Contributor
  • !
  • MOD: a.k.a Unlokia, glossywhite, iamwhoiam etc
« Reply #7 on: January 16, 2022, 01:35:31 am »
The world is ram packed with overpaid scammers, and I mean “legitimate” 🤨😏 jobs, and those jobs earn people TOO MUCH wealth for their maturity level (physically grown up is not the same thing as mature and responsible), so they’re ripe for being swept along by the latest fad, so they can tell their equally shallow, dopey peers all about it and brag.

Too much superfluous income and they’re  too self-absorbed or blinded to see that helping others is more edifying than storing up earthly treasure and “buying” junk that you can’t even touch.

Idiocy could power the world, if only it could be harnessed. I guess Musk has harnessed a bit of it 🤣

Summary: Let’s just blame Californians - they’re the source of most utter bullshit that people see as “legitimate” and get suckered into. (Yes I’m serious, it’s the idiot centre of murica)
« Last Edit: January 16, 2022, 01:37:44 am by eti »

Online SiliconWizard

• Super Contributor
« Reply #8 on: January 16, 2022, 01:46:45 am »
Summary: Let’s just blame Californians - they’re the source of most utter bullshit that people see as “legitimate” and get suckered into. (Yes I’m serious, it’s the idiot centre of murica)

;D

Offline rstofer

• Super Contributor
« Reply #9 on: January 16, 2022, 01:55:01 am »

Don't let the fact that Silicon Valley is flooded in money sway your thinking!

When you can sell a POS tract house for $2M, you just know there is a lot of money laying around.

https://sf.curbed.com/2018/3/2/17073100/silicon-valley-house-home-sunnyvale-record-price-crisis

• Administrator
    • EEVblog
« Reply #10 on: January 16, 2022, 02:15:35 am »
I still don't really understand what the heck an NFT is, given we already have copyright, patents, property ownership, domain names etc. Why do we need NFTs as well ?

Digital collectible bragging rights. And the hope that you can sell it onto someone else who wants to brag even more than you.

There are legit uses of course, but it's mostly just a mass hysteria digital art speculation fest right now.

The following users thanked this post: SeanB, MK14

Offline eti

• Super Contributor
  • !
« Reply #11 on: January 16, 2022, 02:17:54 am »

Digital collectible bragging rights. And the hope that you can sell it onto someone else who wants to brag even more than you.

There are legit uses of course, but it's mostly just a mass hysteria digital art speculation fest right now.

I’ve got a JPEG of a bridge to sell you; interested?

The following users thanked this post: tom66

Online MK14

• Super Contributor
« Reply #12 on: January 16, 2022, 02:28:04 am »

Thanks, that makes a lot of sense (in this day and age, unfortunately).

It reminds me of the Guinness book of world records, where at one end of the spectrum, you had purely real genuine world achievements, such as who can run a mile in the quickest time, fastest wheeled vehicle top speed, fastest computer (supercomputer) in the world, and so on.

But, they allowed (partly silly) entries, whereby a normal, non-world record type of person would do something silly (examples are made up by me, i.e. not true), like buy 5,199 tins of peas, and say that is the world record number of cans of peas to be kept in a normal room in a house. Yes, at some level it is a world record, but it is being silly really, as there are almost an unlimited number of such things e.g. 5,199 9.573K 1 watt resistors, in a single box. Etc.

These NFTs, should be tied in to the actual owners of the thing (i.e. a youtube channel, trademarks, copyrights etc), not some random unconnected (possible scammer), who just happens to create the NFT.

Offline eti

• Super Contributor
  • !
« Reply #13 on: January 16, 2022, 02:32:05 am »

Thanks, that makes a lot of sense (in this day and age, unfortunately).

Makes a lot of cents… 😜

The following users thanked this post: MK14

Offline amyk

• Super Contributor
« Reply #14 on: January 16, 2022, 03:13:00 am »
None of the NFT stuff makes any real sense. I'm firmly on the "it's a scam" side.

The following users thanked this post: gnavigator1007, MK14, eti

Online SiliconWizard

• Super Contributor
« Reply #15 on: January 16, 2022, 03:19:45 am »
Selling anything virtual may be seen as a scam. I guess it gets all philosophical. It's a pretty interesting discussion certainly, if only because our world is increasingly becoming virtual. This has just barely begun.

But again, main point here is that usurpating someone else's IP without their consent is fraudulent, whether it's NFT or not. NFT doesn't magically invalidate laws.

The following users thanked this post: amyk, MK14, VooDust

Offline KE5FX

• Super Contributor
    • KE5FX.COM
« Reply #16 on: January 16, 2022, 04:57:58 am »

Offline bdunham7

• Super Contributor
« Reply #17 on: January 16, 2022, 05:11:46 am »
I won't post it, but if you dare just Google "Cara Delevingne NFT"
A 3.5 digit 4.5 digit 5 digit 5.5 digit 6.5 digit 7.5 digit DMM is good enough for most people.

Offline Ed.Kloonk

• Super Contributor
  • Cat video aficionado
« Reply #18 on: January 16, 2022, 06:45:12 am »
A better investment might be one of these..

iratus parum formica

The following users thanked this post: MadTux, Cubdriver, MK14, MrMobodies

Offline MrMobodies

• Super Contributor
« Reply #19 on: January 16, 2022, 07:52:51 am »
I see it is happening to others:
https://www.reddit.com/r/accursedfarms/comments/s4r8hu/latest_tweet_the_youtube_channel_url_is_sold_as/
12 hours ago:
A viewer emailed me informing me my Youtube channel is apparently an NFT.  I don't have a lot of time or interest to fight this, but feel free to on my behalf, using this twitter post as evidence.  We've entered very weird levels of fraud here.

https://uk.trustpilot.com/review/opensea.io

Looks like the platform has not got a good reputation:

67 Reviews:
Excellent   7%
Great   4%
Average   2%
Poor           9%
Bad         78%

https://old.reddit.com/r/opensea/comments/m0fpj9/opensea_are_a_scam/
[–]hotsaucecross 2 points 10 months ago
I've been scammed on OpenSea unfortunately. The seller keeps opening and shutting down accounts and stealing back their NFT's they sold somehow. My post explains it >> www.reddit.com/r/opensea/comments/m0tb60/scam_alert_please_comment_if_you_bought_from/

The link to their domain seems parked and registered:
https://whois.domaintools.com/staketheweb.net

135 days old
Created on 2021-09-02
Expires on 2022-09-02
Updated on 2021-09-02

Maybe it is not theirs.

It would be interesting to find out if opensea.io are really affiliated with the affiliates below:

Andressen Horowitz
Coinbase
Ycombinator
Trust Wallet
Dapper
Quantastamp
Founders Fund
Blockchain Capital

I'll look at them later.

I noticed that animation on the page is linked to some Google account and I don't remember seeing any logo like that before so I wonder if it is something they made up.

||lh3.googleusercontent.com/iA9nv7I1J2EoPNOsDwqvKmyPFq8hhY-25h7G9_CC7fWUh7H9BecfRiMJJ2zpLm31g9ZPbpcs7k0HHKoJaG_Z0NA9b2OJEXI-5DbLqw=w600

Yep it is something they made up with their @2021 StakeTheWeb

Claiming copyright for something that isn't theirs now that's a bit cheeky.
« Last Edit: January 16, 2022, 08:00:19 am by MrMobodies »

Offline station240

• Supporter
« Reply #20 on: January 16, 2022, 08:10:52 am »
The value of a NFT is based on the (digital) object it represents. It seems to be gaining quite a bit of traction in the (digital) art world because it allows multiple people to become part owner of a piece (*) and the artist can choose to receive a kickback for every transaction.

* There are organisations /systems which allow people to invest in expensive objects (art, historical, etc)  and trade the ownerships like shares. NFTs bring the ability to trade ownership without needing a middle man like auction houses etc.

The theory behind NFTs was the artist would get a portion of the money as the digital asset increased in value.
Reality is there are bots (on twitter for example) that steal digital artwork, and sell the NFT w/out permission.
Given how crypto currency works, you can't even cancel or take ownership of the stolen item.

Whole Cryto currency thing reminds me of the quote:
"No trees were killed to send this message, but a large number of electrons were terribly inconvenienced."

Offline not1xor1

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #21 on: January 16, 2022, 09:29:09 am »
NFT and cryptocurrency madness are just a modern digital form of tulip mania
unlike tulips though they cause a great deal of environment damage both from energy waste and fast hardware turnover

The following users thanked this post: SeanB, cdev, MK14

Offline Nominal Animal

• Super Contributor
    • My home page and email address
« Reply #22 on: January 16, 2022, 11:23:07 am »
The population of this planet is insane. :-//

Offline magic

• Super Contributor
« Reply #23 on: January 16, 2022, 11:49:23 am »
Glad people are finally waking up to this simplest truth.
I knew it since I turned five :-DD

Offline nctnico

• Super Contributor
    • NCT Developments
« Reply #24 on: January 16, 2022, 12:01:03 pm »

The theory behind NFTs was the artist would get a portion of the money as the digital asset increased in value.
Reality is there are bots (on twitter for example) that steal digital artwork, and sell the NFT w/out permission.
Given how crypto currency DLT (distributed ledger) works, you can't even cancel or take ownership of the stolen item.
Fixed that for you!
There are small lies, big lies and then there is what is on the screen of your oscilloscope.

Offline MadTux

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #25 on: January 16, 2022, 12:10:38 pm »
A better investment might be one of these..

Someone already did that ;-D
https://thebittimes.com/token-PEDOPHILE%2BPRINCE%2BANDREW-BSC-0x4d1d800588ff4fda275b0595f212cdf18d075552.html

Which makes me believe even more, that crypto bullshit gets diversified to death and finally go bust....
« Last Edit: January 16, 2022, 12:13:07 pm by MadTux »

The following users thanked this post: Ed.Kloonk

Offline rsjsouza

• Super Contributor
  • Eternally curious
    • Vbe - vídeo blog eletrônico
« Reply #26 on: January 16, 2022, 12:31:22 pm »
unlike tulips though they cause a great deal of environment damage both from energy waste and fast hardware turnover
Just like a few others, I haven't heard of NFT before but, given that some people buy canned farts and bathwater from girls for enormous amounts of money or even pay to have their names written on their arms on camera, I am not surprised to find someone exploring this segment of the economy as well.  :-DD
Vbe - vídeo blog eletrônico http://videos.vbeletronico.com

Oh, the "whys" of the datasheets... The information is there not to be an axiomatic truth, but instead each speck of data must be slowly inhaled while carefully performing a deep search inside oneself to find the true metaphysical sense...

Offline Nusa

• Super Contributor
« Reply #27 on: January 16, 2022, 12:34:14 pm »
Summary: Let’s just blame Californians

People who feel the need to stereotype 40 million people as all being the same is a problem. Which is obviously not true, or you would all be Boris Johnson clones, but you say it anyway.
12% of the US population is in California. California's GDP is larger than all of the UK. They must be doing something right.

Offline magic

• Super Contributor
« Reply #28 on: January 16, 2022, 02:06:23 pm »
People who feel the need to stereotype 40 million people as all being the same is a problem.
12% of the US population is in California. California's GDP is larger than all of the UK
You aren't exactly refuting him by talking like a typical American and under a US flag :P

Offline Nusa

• Super Contributor
« Reply #29 on: January 16, 2022, 05:19:33 pm »
People who feel the need to stereotype 40 million people as all being the same is a problem.
12% of the US population is in California. California's GDP is larger than all of the UK
You aren't exactly refuting him by talking like a typical American and under a US flag :P

How many of the 330 million of us actually are whatever you think a typical American is? Why did you think snipping the last sentence out was worth doing? "They must be doing something right."

Questions....are they better than Polish jokes?

The following users thanked this post: schmitt trigger

Offline Rick Law

• Super Contributor
« Reply #30 on: January 16, 2022, 08:33:37 pm »

[reply summarized by RL as: ]

...if you went up to the mona lisa...l'd like to own it...you paid them and they went "here's you receipt..."[they] went to an unmarked supply closet in the back and posted a handmade label inside that said "mona lisa currently owned by..."

Scamming is probably as old as homo-sapiens.

Every Christmas and other gift-giving seasons, you see this on USA TV - the unique "gift" of naming a star after someone.  They send you a "certificate" and put it in a book call USA Star Registry with "copyright".  This is exactly like putting your name as the "owner" in a closet.  That you "named" a star after someone is true, but only in that book and I doubt if that book is even published or sold.

Giving the frequency that ad shows up, I suppose there are enough new scam victims years after years to make the scam still viable.  I would insert a link to prove this silly scam exist, but I don't want to give them more traffic.

"There's a sucker bone every minute..."
« Last Edit: January 16, 2022, 08:35:50 pm by Rick Law »

Offline rsjsouza

• Super Contributor
  • Eternally curious
« Reply #31 on: January 17, 2022, 02:38:41 am »
There is a new fad heavily promoted in youtube that, if you buy a piece of land in Scotland, you are granted a title of "Lord" or "Lady".

It may well be truth (I know nothing about Scotland's laws), but it is an interesting way to cater to a human's vanity bone.  :-DD

Oh, the "whys" of the datasheets... The information is there not to be an axiomatic truth, but instead each speck of data must be slowly inhaled while carefully performing a deep search inside oneself to find the true metaphysical sense...

Offline eti

• Super Contributor
  • !
« Reply #32 on: January 17, 2022, 03:04:32 am »

[reply summarized by RL as: ]

...if you went up to the mona lisa...l'd like to own it...you paid them and they went "here's you receipt..."[they] went to an unmarked supply closet in the back and posted a handmade label inside that said "mona lisa currently owned by..."

Scamming is probably as old as homo-sapiens.

Every Christmas and other gift-giving seasons, you see this on USA TV - the unique "gift" of naming a star after someone.  They send you a "certificate" and put it in a book call USA Star Registry with "copyright".  This is exactly like putting your name as the "owner" in a closet.  That you "named" a star after someone is true, but only in that book and I doubt if that book is even published or sold.

Giving the frequency that ad shows up, I suppose there are enough new scam victims years after years to make the scam still viable.  I would insert a link to prove this silly scam exist, but I don't want to give them more traffic.

"There's a sucker bone every minute..."

I'd think stars were named by their parents, unless adopting a stage alias. 😜

Offline eti

• Super Contributor
  • !
« Reply #33 on: January 17, 2022, 05:53:59 am »
This says exactly what I think about this crock of shite ✌️NFT✌️Lunacy

https://shkspr.mobi/blog/2021/02/stop-this-digital-ownership-madness-nfts-are-bullshit-and-the-stupid-makes-me-angry/

Offline VooDust

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #34 on: January 17, 2022, 07:00:45 am »
An NFT is a certificate of ownership based on a distributed ledger (DLT). It is definitely not cryptocurrency!

this is the literal definition of cryptocurrency

Offline Nominal Animal

• Super Contributor
« Reply #35 on: January 17, 2022, 07:38:25 am »
You uncouth you.  Everybody knows stars are just holes in the celestial sphere.  That's where 'celebrity' comes from: a celestial a-hole, all Brits being a-

:palm:

Offline eti

• Super Contributor
  • !
« Reply #36 on: January 17, 2022, 08:02:24 am »
You uncouth you.  Everybody knows stars are just holes in the celestial sphere.  That's where 'celebrity' comes from: a celestial a-hole, all Brits being a-

That's rather an ignorant comment, tbh. I'd never be so utterly rude and childish as to write off a whole country like that.  I could say a fair amount about any country, but we're all humans and all deserve respect.

Offline Nusa

• Super Contributor
« Reply #37 on: January 17, 2022, 08:18:52 am »

That's rather an ignorant comment, tbh. I'd never be so utterly rude and childish as to write off a whole country like that.  I could say a fair amount about any country, but we're all humans and all deserve respect.

Unless they're Californians, right? Where was your respect?

Offline Nominal Animal

• Super Contributor
« Reply #38 on: January 17, 2022, 08:41:52 am »
Nusa, this was sarcasm.

I'm the one who likes to tell jokes about Finns, because they're funny, and highlight something typically Finnish, that either tends to apply to most Finns without them realizing (the "I wonder what that elephant thinks of me" joke), or only applies to very few Finns but everyone thinks its true ("The Great Misfortune at Lake Inari" joke about drinking Vodka in a snowstorm).

The funny thing about stereotypes is their absurdity.  It is exactly the absurdity that makes them funny.

(Which is why I like comics by Jukka Tilsa: they're absurd to the extreme.  Like in Space Pants, where a guy starts sawing a tree that is actually a shapeshifter from space, and turns into a giraffe.  The guy's friend shouts him to stop sawing the giraffes leg, but they guy answers he can't hear anything as the saw is making a rah-rah noise, you see.)

Because it is the absurdity that makes them funny, nothing should be outside the realm of humor.  If we say that for example burning babies is not something that can be joked about, we are diminishing the world we observe, and moreover, the scope of things we question about ourselves.

If you want to combat a stereotype, the actual working method is to show its absurdity: taking it and running with it to the extreme.
Telling someone they're being bigoted is not effective at all, but taking their preconceptions and letting them realize how bigoted they are, even if through humor, is.

Me, I'm very bigoted.  I'm big on off topic stuff.

The following users thanked this post: tom66, nctnico, daqq, pardo-bsso, MK14

Offline Ed.Kloonk

• Super Contributor
  • Cat video aficionado
« Reply #39 on: January 17, 2022, 08:47:12 am »
God bless you.
iratus parum formica

Offline eti

• Super Contributor
  • !
« Reply #40 on: January 17, 2022, 09:07:25 am »
Strange tangent 🤨

The following users thanked this post: Ed.Kloonk, Nominal Animal

Offline amyk

• Super Contributor
« Reply #41 on: January 17, 2022, 02:26:29 pm »
Just like a few others, I haven't heard of NFT before but, given that some people buy canned farts and bathwater from girls for enormous amounts of money or even pay to have their names written on their arms on camera, I am not surprised to find someone exploring this segment of the economy as well.  :-DD
Physical items are different, regardless of how odd they are. Unlike NFTs, they actually exist as something other than a string of bits stored somewhere.

Offline nctnico

• Super Contributor
    • NCT Developments
« Reply #42 on: January 17, 2022, 03:18:24 pm »
Physical items are different, regardless of how odd they are. Unlike NFTs, they actually exist as something other than a string of bits stored somewhere.

That makes me wonder: do you still buy music & video in physical form? And if so, what do you actually own?

Offline rsjsouza

• Super Contributor
  • Eternally curious
« Reply #43 on: January 17, 2022, 08:29:19 pm »
I do. I still can't get my head around buying a file with music or movie,  but I understand these are dying formats. 

As to who owns it, I do own the CD and treat it like anything else in physical form I buy.

Offline Bud

• Super Contributor
« Reply #44 on: January 17, 2022, 08:55:41 pm »
Frankly, in general, this is a silly comment. It would be same as saying brand bames and trademarks are just digital bullshit. In case you do not know, look up how much CocaCola brand name cost.

Edit: and by the way, i've never seen anyone claiming "environmental damage" from digital currency operation.
« Last Edit: January 17, 2022, 09:40:29 pm by Bud »
Facebook-free life and Rigol-free shack.

Offline bdunham7

• Super Contributor
« Reply #45 on: January 17, 2022, 09:27:04 pm »
That makes me wonder: do you still buy music & video in physical form? And if so, what do you actually own?

There are actually two questions embedded in that first one, 'buy' and 'physical'.   :)
A 3.5 digit 4.5 digit 5 digit 5.5 digit 6.5 digit 7.5 digit DMM is good enough for most people.

Offline nctnico

• Super Contributor
    • NCT Developments
« Reply #46 on: January 17, 2022, 09:44:31 pm »
I do. I still can't get my head around buying a file with music or movie,  but I understand these are dying formats. 

As to who owns it, I do own the CD and treat it like anything else in physical form I buy.
I quit buying music & video in physical form years ago. For me it is much easier to play music from my PC than having to change CDs all the time. But the thing is: when I buy a music file, I get a file without anything. Selling it on is hard since I have no way to really prove I own a license  to the file or anything ((you don't own music, video, etc; just a license to listen / watch). Maybe the receipt could help but it is easy to fake. Now, if I had some kind of unique and traceable digital token attached to the file that would indicate that I own some form of license, I could sell it on. And that is the void that NFTs are filling.
« Last Edit: January 17, 2022, 10:03:40 pm by nctnico »

• Administrator
    • EEVblog
« Reply #47 on: January 18, 2022, 02:04:07 am »

Here is an example of using NFT's in the future. Ticket stubs.
You go to a concert and you get and keep your ticket stub to prove that you went to the concert. Some of them even become collectible. But the point is you can post a Facebook photo of your ticket stub to show off to everyone that you went.
In the NFT future you won't get physical ticket stubs you'll get an NFT stub that "proves" you went were part of that thing. People will then show off their "collection" of NFT's by virtue of some social mechanism that likely doesn't exist yet, but in the future will be tied to your social profile for bragging rights.

Hypothetical future: Say you support a creator on Patreon or some other platform, you get an NFT "badge" that shows you financially supported that creator.
« Last Edit: January 18, 2022, 02:10:16 am by EEVblog »

Offline Ed.Kloonk

• Super Contributor
  • Cat video aficionado
« Reply #48 on: January 18, 2022, 02:08:45 am »
Pink Floyd - 1987

Dire Straights - 1986

Stevie Nicks - '86

Eurythmics '87

Sydney Entertainment Centre. A lot of pub gigs tickets have gone missing.
iratus parum formica

The following users thanked this post: pardo-bsso

Offline cdev

• Super Contributor
  • !
« Reply #49 on: January 18, 2022, 02:56:57 am »
I have a bunch of GPUs, two or perhaps three are capable of running fairly recent drivers and software. I could probably "mine crypto" on them IF it earned me more than the electrcity cost that would be nice, but does that make economic sense? Or not? At one time, long ago, I guess it did, but now?
I have an Rx580 and a GTX-1070. Kind of older cards.. I doubt if its worth it with my older hardware except in the winter when the heat is helpful.. If I am using power, instead of running an electric heater may as well capture some additional value from the heat, eh?
"What the large print giveth, the small print taketh away."

Offline cdev

• Super Contributor
  • !
« Reply #50 on: January 18, 2022, 03:03:05 am »
I have a huge collection of mix tapes of sets done by house and techno DJs in San Francisco in the early 90s, I was at many of the events, which were often held in amazing places like on beaches, in forests and other secret locations, and now are kind of legendary.. (Many are also on internet, and the digital files sound better than my old cassette tapes.) But I wouldn't sell them for anything.

I still remember these events.. The events were often recorded on DAT tapes by friends. It seems kind of weird to value an "original" DAT higher now because the hardware to play them is now rare (obsolete, probably) and well recorded MP3s sound just as good, and much better than Miles' handlabelled cassetes. Some of the DJs are still playing in the US, but several who were from the UK have moved back there. I guess I could see some of the artifacts of those amazing events having value as collectibles if one had been there. Otherwise they would be just other mix tapes. Exeptional mixes, yes, but worth large sums of money? I doubt it.

More like the tapes that Grateful Dead fans used to (perhaps still do) trade around. Many are now findable on archive.org
« Last Edit: January 18, 2022, 03:12:01 am by cdev »
"What the large print giveth, the small print taketh away."

The following users thanked this post: Ed.Kloonk, MK14

Offline bdunham7

• Super Contributor
« Reply #51 on: January 18, 2022, 03:13:27 am »
I quit buying music & video in physical form years ago. For me it is much easier to play music from my PC than having to change CDs all the time. But the thing is: when I buy a music file, I get a file without anything. Selling it on is hard since I have no way to really prove I own a license  to the file or anything ((you don't own music, video, etc; just a license to listen / watch). Maybe the receipt could help but it is easy to fake. Now, if I had some kind of unique and traceable digital token attached to the file that would indicate that I own some form of license, I could sell it on. And that is the void that NFTs are filling.

This is vastly overcomplicating things by replacing simple, solved solutions with novel 'technology' for technology's sake alone.  Buy a CD, rip it to your PC, retain the CD as your proof of ownership.  Or, sell the CD if you like.  But   reselling your audio or video files isn't really a big issue in real life, is it?

The following users thanked this post: thm_w

Offline eti

• Super Contributor
  • !
« Reply #52 on: January 18, 2022, 04:42:01 am »
The population of this planet is insane. :-//

Like we needed a reminder 😂

Offline thinkfat

• Supporter
  • This is just a hobby I spend too much time on.
    • Matthias' Hackerstübchen
« Reply #53 on: January 18, 2022, 08:41:08 am »

Sounds like a "Greater Fool" economy. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Greater_fool_theory
Everybody likes gadgets. Until they try to make them.

Offline rsjsouza

• Super Contributor
  • Eternally curious
« Reply #54 on: January 18, 2022, 11:09:16 am »

This is vastly overcomplicating things by replacing simple, solved solutions with novel 'technology' for technology's sake alone.  Buy a CD, rip it to your PC, retain the CD as your proof of ownership.  Or, sell the CD if you like.  But   reselling your audio or video files isn't really a big issue in real life, is it?
The whole shebang of digital watermarking and tokenization is to ease transactions without the physical media, while keeping close track of its life in the digital ocean. In days like these, where everything is a bitstream, this makes sense to some. To me, I take the physical token of ownership granted by a CD/DVD anyday - not only I can have a "master copy" with artwork and such, but it is one less venue to be tracked.

Offline nctnico

• Super Contributor
    • NCT Developments
« Reply #55 on: January 18, 2022, 11:25:28 am »

This is vastly overcomplicating things by replacing simple, solved solutions with novel 'technology' for technology's sake alone.  Buy a CD, rip it to your PC, retain the CD as your proof of ownership.  Or, sell the CD if you like. 
Why would I buy a CD? Nowadays I buy specific songs from websites that sell music. I can download them directly onto my computer ready to play. It is way more convenient than ordering a CD and getting rid of the songs I don't like. Last time I bought a CD must be 15 years ago. But that is besides the point I want to make.

But   reselling your audio or video files isn't really a big issue in real life, is it?
There are enough cheap ways to get music / video nowadays that there hardly is a second hand market. But if there was, then NFTs would make it easier to prove ownership. That is the point!
« Last Edit: January 18, 2022, 02:33:41 pm by nctnico »

• Administrator
    • EEVblog
« Reply #56 on: January 19, 2022, 03:27:08 am »
FYI, the NFT has been removed.

The following users thanked this post: pardo-bsso, MK14

Online MK14

• Super Contributor
« Reply #57 on: January 19, 2022, 03:31:00 am »

I wonder why/how that has happened, I'm curious ?

• Administrator
    • EEVblog
« Reply #58 on: January 19, 2022, 03:38:31 am »
I wonder why/how that has happened, I'm curious ?

I reported it.

Offline tom66

• Super Contributor
  • Electronics Hobbyist & FPGA/Embedded Systems EE
« Reply #59 on: January 19, 2022, 03:45:20 pm »
Does that mean its value has gone from "essentially worthless" to "completely worthless"?

Offline pardo-bsso

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #60 on: January 19, 2022, 05:09:19 pm »

Many of us reported it.

It's interesting that for being a decentralized network one big player has still control over what that "creator made".

(on a tangent, I saw the B52s live and doubt that any of my peers would like to know or understand it)

Offline MrMobodies

• Super Contributor
« Reply #61 on: January 19, 2022, 08:18:06 pm »
I see not just the NFT but the scammers account has been closed.
https://opensea.io/StakeTheWeb

This page is lost.
We've explored deep and wide,
but we can't find the page you were looking for.

Good they took action.
« Last Edit: January 19, 2022, 08:19:43 pm by MrMobodies »

The following users thanked this post: EEVblog, MK14

Offline nctnico

• Super Contributor
    • NCT Developments
« Reply #62 on: January 19, 2022, 08:32:28 pm »

Many of us reported it.

It's interesting that for being a decentralized network one big player has still control over what that "creator made".
Opensea (or any other) market place only has control over what is listed on that market place. For example: Ebay may choose to remove a listing of an item but that doesn't mean the item can't be sold at all.
« Last Edit: January 19, 2022, 11:15:30 pm by nctnico »

Offline MrMobodies

• Super Contributor
« Reply #63 on: January 19, 2022, 11:01:10 pm »
Just found a news article on it:

https://www.nme.com/news/gaming-news/gaming-youtubers-are-having-their-likenesses-stolen-and-turned-into-nfts-3139754
Gaming YouTubers are having their likenesses stolen and turned into NFTs
"I cannot wait for the lawsuits"

By
Matt Kamen
17th January 2022

Video game focused YouTubers are having their likenesses stolen and “minted” as NFTs, with the images being sold for profit and without their consent. Many of the affected YouTubers find their identities have been included as part of an NFT assortment called the “Top YouTubers Collection”, seemingly uploaded by a user calling themselves “StakeTheWeb” and sold on the NFT marketplace OpenSea. Despite NFTs – or Non-Fungible Tokens, effectively digital receipts that can point to a particular image but which confer no real ownership – being something of a buzzword at present, many creators are deeply opposed to them, citing the environmental destruction associated with the energy costs of processing transactions and the exploitative nature of the market.

YouTuber “DreamcastGuy” highlighted the problem of likeness theft for NFTs in a video posted over the weekend (January 15), though many other creators have been experiencing the issue.
As highlighted by Eurogamer, other creators including Jim ‘Caddicarus‘ Caddick, James Stephanie Sterling’s The Jimquisition, and Alanah ‘Charalanahzard‘ Pearce have all had their likenesses used without their permission. On Twitter, Sterling said they were “frankly not surprised that some freeloading leech turned my channel into an NFT”, adding “I did not consent to this, I do not want this, and it demonstrates everything I’ve said about how disrespectful and exploitative this market is”, and calling the uploader “scum”.

Jim ‘Caddicarus’ Caddick said, “At least, AT LEAST, if you stole my shit and tried selling it off, make it a t shirt. A mug. A clock. A thing. That you can use. And enjoy. Shilling off a profile picture for a collection you can just make yourself on a Facebook photo album is honestly a new level of pathetic lol”. Charalanahzard – who is also a writer for Sony Santa Monica – has also seen her own photos stolen and sold on OpenSea with a porn logo added to the image, all without any involvement or agreement. Pearce says, “I cannot wait for the lawsuits”.

The practice is undeniably theft, and due to the largely anonymous nature of blockchain technologies, it can leave those affected without recourse.  While an OpenSea representative told TheGamer that “it is against our policy to sell NFTs using plagiarised content, which we regularly enforce in various ways, including delisting and in some instances, banning accounts (as was the case in this instance)”, there is little to stop thieves uploading another “collection” of NFTs and profiting in the short term.

I like that, freeloading leech.

Offline WA1ICI

• Contributor
    • One Electron
« Reply #64 on: January 19, 2022, 11:20:44 pm »
At least Dave Jones is considered to be in the “Top YouTubers Collection”!   :D

- John Atwood

The following users thanked this post: EEVblog, SeanB, MrMobodies

Offline Nusa

• Super Contributor
« Reply #65 on: January 20, 2022, 12:36:39 am »
So what's the word used for a bunch of top youtubers? Flock, herd, horde, swarm, etc...

My idea would be a stream of youtubers.

Offline nctnico

• Super Contributor
    • NCT Developments
« Reply #66 on: January 20, 2022, 12:52:18 am »
So what's the word used for a bunch of top youtubers? Flock, herd, horde, swarm, etc...

My idea would be a stream of youtubers.
The modern word would be 'Influencers'. Although cow's rears would also be applicable in many (not all, but many nevertheless) cases.

Online tszaboo

• Super Contributor
  • Current job: ATEX product design
« Reply #67 on: January 20, 2022, 01:23:38 am »

Many of us reported it.

(on a tangent, I saw the B52s live and doubt that any of my peers would like to know or understand it)
Well, this is just the general confusion about what NFTs are.
You see, most NFTs sold today is not the underlying picture. It is also not the artwork, or even the ownership of the artwork.
Most NFTs that are sold today is just a link to some picture, that is hosted on some server. The image is not even stored on the blockchain. And it happens often times, that the picture gets changed, after selling the NFT (for example to a poop emoji).
There are a few NFTs that are legit stored on a blockchain, but those are simplistic, often times then need some third party tool to actually generate the picture for it. And IMHO the artistic value of these generated "yellow monkey holding a blue banana with a hat" NFTs is zero.

Many of us reported it.

Opensea (or any other) market place only has control over what is listed on that market place. For example: Ebay may choose to remove a listing of an item but that doesn't mean the item can't be sold at all.

Most of the NFTs that are listed are not even minted.
Minting this EEVBlog NFT would cost anywhere around 150 USD. And it would take a ton of CO2 production and energy waste to do it. ETH is ridiculous, the sooner everyone goes to more modern networks the better.

Offline not1xor1

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #68 on: January 20, 2022, 08:22:39 am »
Frankly, in general, this is a silly comment. It would be same as saying brand bames and trademarks are just digital bullshit. In case you do not know, look up how much CocaCola brand name cost.

silliness is in the eye of the beholder  ;D
I never judge or buy anything by the brand name and nowadays lot of brands have changed owner, e.g. Philips now is Chinese, so brand names are even less indicative of the quality of a product then they used to be (sometimes).

Edit: and by the way, i've never seen anyone claiming "environmental damage" from digital currency operation.

science magazines and web sites have been writing about that subject since years.
You might be surprised by the fact that there are lot of things you ignore (or I do ignore as well) but are anyway real  ::)
Just google for «environmental impact of cryptocurrencies»

Offline not1xor1

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #69 on: January 20, 2022, 08:29:53 am »

That's what is wrong. People who are obsessed by ownership. To be or to own that's the question.  :)
While I really enjoy listening to music, I will never enjoy owning something that will not serve any real purpose or even owning much more than other people.

Offline Nominal Animal

• Super Contributor
« Reply #70 on: January 20, 2022, 09:23:20 am »
That's what is wrong. People who are obsessed by ownership.
No.

Remember that 'ownership' is about control among humans.  When you own a copy, nobody can legally take that copy away from you.
If you are subscribed to a service, you can only access whatever is provided by that service.  As a renter, access is controlled by the owner, regardless of whether you are willing to pay for it.  That is a serious difference indeed, even though many consider it equivalent to ownership.

You still don't 'own' the original song/movie/whatever, of course; the above only applies to the copy only, and not to the intellectual rights or copyrights associated with it.

I fully expect the term 'own' or 'ownership' to split into its different variants in various languages, since that is what our cultures need, within a few generations.  For now, we just have to deal with the mess of having one term describe many different things.

The following users thanked this post: amyk

Offline eti

• Super Contributor
  • !
« Reply #71 on: January 20, 2022, 09:54:43 am »

Many of us reported it.

“Love shack, baby looooove shack!” 😃🎵🎶🎼

Reminds me of listening to Seal, Adamski and Björk, those days.

Offline ROT

• Contributor
« Reply #72 on: January 20, 2022, 10:16:38 am »
The worst part of this NFT hype is the fact that even the people who thinks what NFTs are, are completely wrong.
The "Non Fungible Token" of the NFT is just a code, a number, when you buy an NFT you buy a custom slot in a database, it has nothing to do with the picture or GIF associated with it.

You do not own the picture, you do not own any rights, the picture can be reproduced as many times as some wants.
What you buy is just a piece of code what happens to have a picture attached to it, because of course it makes it a lot more appealing than "hey, buy this random number in my random database".

If anyone is more interested in how this scam works, I recommend the video made by youtuber JoshStrifeHays on this topic.

Offline Nominal Animal

• Super Contributor
« Reply #73 on: January 20, 2022, 10:46:09 am »
I have been waiting for a while now for a crypto ledger covering the entire world.  For a small nominal sum, you get to own a non-fungible token referring to a region on this planet.  Want to own the token corresponding to the acre of land at the center of Manhattan?  No problem!

Just like NFT's, the ownership of the token has nothing to do with the thing the token refers to.  You own the reference in the ledger only.

It is beautiful in its own way, really.  Like the ramblings of insane psychotic people talking about the nostril people who use your nose hair to weave bridges in your dreams, unless you pick your nose too often, in which case they steal your fingernails and build castles and shields out of them to attack the back of your eyeballs and do war with your eyebrow mites.

I'm especially waiting for exclusive ledgers, like ledgers for Swedes only for owning tokens referring to land in Finland.  You know, for historical reasons.  Or for Brits only for owning tokens referring to land in Australia.  You get the drift, I'm sure.  The monetization opportunities are endless!

Offline nctnico

• Super Contributor
    • NCT Developments
« Reply #74 on: January 20, 2022, 12:57:18 pm »
science magazines and web sites have been writing about that subject since years.
You might be surprised by the fact that there are lot of things you ignore (or I do ignore as well) but are anyway real  ::)
Just google for «environmental impact of cryptocurrencies»
There are two seperate things here:
1) energy wasted due to mining cryptocurrencies which is just insane (*).

2) energy wasted due to inefficient distributed ledgers (block chain). That is a problem that needs to be solved because distributed ledger is a useful technology. Actually, a specification for bidirectional EV - grid charging (https://www.smart-energy.com/industry-sectors/new-technology/first-blockchain-based-ev-grid-integration-standard-released/) is using distributed ledger technology to make the system more robust and increase availability.

* Today there was an article in the news that someone in the NL had a 600A mains cable (likely 3 phase / 3x 400V) installed to supply their home. The article says it is for mining Bitcoins but I don't see how that can be made profitable. For reference: a typical home in the NL has a mains connection like 40A / 230V or 3x 25A / 400V.

I fully expect the term 'own' or 'ownership' to split into its different variants in various languages, since that is what our cultures need, within a few generations.  For now, we just have to deal with the mess of having one term describe many different things.
IMHO people need to wrap their head around the fact that you can own something that doesn't physically exist. Think about something simple like the money in your bank account. That is a number stored in a database in a slot with your name on it. Technically you don't even own that database but you rent a slot in it.
« Last Edit: January 20, 2022, 01:05:37 pm by nctnico »

Offline NiHaoMike

• Super Contributor
    • Facebook Page
« Reply #75 on: January 20, 2022, 01:30:56 pm »
Hypothetical future: Say you support a creator on Patreon or some other platform, you get an NFT "badge" that shows you financially supported that creator.
That would be a big step closer towards my idea of "supporting the supporters". For example, in a P2P system, supporters of certain content creators get priority downloads of certain content, thus adding to the value of supporting those creators. Then it's a matter of creating a scheme for the client to "prove" they supported, likely pretty easy using public key encryption.
Well, this is just the general confusion about what NFTs are.
You see, most NFTs sold today is not the underlying picture. It is also not the artwork, or even the ownership of the artwork.
Most NFTs that are sold today is just a link to some picture, that is hosted on some server. The image is not even stored on the blockchain. And it happens often times, that the picture gets changed, after selling the NFT (for example to a poop emoji).
There are a few NFTs that are legit stored on a blockchain, but those are simplistic, often times then need some third party tool to actually generate the picture for it. And IMHO the artistic value of these generated "yellow monkey holding a blue banana with a hat" NFTs is zero.
Sounds like something that can be solved by having the NFTs use links to a P2P system like Bittorrent or IPFS.

2) energy wasted due to inefficient distributed ledgers (block chain). That is a problem that needs to be solved because distributed ledger is a useful technology. Actually, a specification for bidirectional EV - grid charging (https://www.smart-energy.com/industry-sectors/new-technology/first-blockchain-based-ev-grid-integration-standard-released/) is using distributed ledger technology to make the system more robust and increase availability.
What's energy inefficient about blockchains other than that many of them use a lot of energy to mine? There have been quite a few attempts to make cryptocurrencies that use much less energy for mining, we just need at least one to become successful in the long run.
Cryptocurrency has taught me to love math and at the same time be baffled by it.

Offline nctnico

• Super Contributor
    • NCT Developments
« Reply #76 on: January 20, 2022, 03:52:36 pm »

What's energy inefficient about blockchains other than that many of them use a lot of energy to mine? There have been quite a few attempts to make cryptocurrencies that use much less energy for mining, we just need at least one to become successful in the long run.
The first step you need to make is to differentiate between the distributed ledger and (mining) cryptocurrency. Those are 2 seperate things!
Secondly, a distributed ledger which duplicates data across all nodes in a network uses way too much resources in the form of storage space, network traffic and computational power. I don't have the answer to solve that; it is just an observation that it is a big problem. From what I understand 1 Bitcoin transaction wastes several kWh of energy.

Offline NiHaoMike

• Super Contributor
    • Facebook Page
« Reply #77 on: January 20, 2022, 11:26:32 pm »
Secondly, a distributed ledger which duplicates data across all nodes in a network uses way too much resources in the form of storage space, network traffic and computational power. I don't have the answer to solve that; it is just an observation that it is a big problem. From what I understand 1 Bitcoin transaction wastes several kWh of energy.
Almost all of the energy used is for mining. Solve that and the efficiency goes way up.

Storage space is becoming less of a problem as storage becomes cheaper, plus there are mechanisms to "archive" old blocks and keep storage requirements very modest. It could even be possible to keep copies of some old blocks based on how many copies of such blocks currently exist on the network, although I'm not sure if any blockchains currently do that. (Or perhaps it can be designed so that miners have to keep a full copy of the blockchain but mere users only need to retain the most recent 50GB or so?)

Network traffic and computational power for things other than mining is not a problem, a simple Raspberry Pi can easily run a Bitcoin "full node".

Offline nctnico

• Super Contributor
    • NCT Developments
« Reply #78 on: January 20, 2022, 11:33:41 pm »
Almost all of the energy used is for mining. Solve that and the efficiency goes way up.

Storage space is becoming less of a problem as storage becomes cheaper, plus there are mechanisms to "archive" old blocks and keep storage requirements very modest. It could even be possible to keep copies of some old blocks based on how many copies of such blocks currently exist on the network, although I'm not sure if any blockchains currently do that. (Or perhaps it can be designed so that miners have to keep a full copy of the blockchain but mere users only need to retain the most recent 50GB or so?)

Network traffic and computational power for things other than mining is not a problem, a simple Raspberry Pi can easily run a Bitcoin "full node".
Yes, but a billion Bitcoin nodes which store the same data adds up to a huge amount of wasted energy. It doesn't matter if there is something far worse in the world.

At some point a distributed ledger needs to have 'supernodes' that have all the data and sub-nodes that store less data and fetch that from the super nodes. Probably peer-to-peer networking technology helps. But again, this is just me thinking out loud.
« Last Edit: January 20, 2022, 11:54:06 pm by nctnico »

Offline NiHaoMike

• Super Contributor
    • Facebook Page
« Reply #79 on: January 21, 2022, 05:13:27 am »
At some point a distributed ledger needs to have 'supernodes' that have all the data and sub-nodes that store less data and fetch that from the super nodes. Probably peer-to-peer networking technology helps. But again, this is just me thinking out loud.
That's basically what I proposed? Some nodes store everything, others only store the "hot" part of the blockchain that's in active use. Requiring the miners to have a complete copy would help ensure that the whole blockchain always remains available.

The interesting part is that many of the "energy efficient" altcoins are not at all bandwidth efficient, in particular earnhoney is pretty bandwidth intensive. It's far more common to have flat rate bandwidth at home than it is to have flat rate electricity at home, so it works out nicely. (Would be interesting to work out the environmental impact of the bandwidth use but it's almost certainly orders of magnitude lower than using a lot of energy instead.) IT managers trying to make mining clusters from the office computers they manage, however, would end up with a large degradation in network performance, and then there's the residential IP whitelist they somehow have to get past first.

Point is, it takes far less bandwidth to run a Bitcoin full node than it does to mine some energy efficient altcoins like earnhoney or Swagbucks. (Or at least that was the case - the current fork of Swagbucks is a lot more bandwidth efficient, but sadly increase in difficulty has made it far less energy efficient.)

Online daqq

• Super Contributor
    • My site
« Reply #80 on: January 21, 2022, 06:35:31 am »
I'm hoping that energy efficient cryptocurrencies become the norm. That can be cryptocurrencies that use little energy to mine or cryptocurrencies where the "mining" does useful work (or both). Main problem is that thus far, none of them have been truly popular or have remained efficient in the long term.

(based on https://xkcd.com/927/ )
Believe it or not, pointy haired people do exist!
+++Divide By Cucumber Error. Please Reinstall Universe And Reboot +++

The following users thanked this post: Ed.Kloonk, Fgrir, schmitt trigger

• Administrator
    • EEVblog
« Reply #81 on: January 21, 2022, 07:16:45 am »

Why didn't they just use Power Ledger?  :-//

Offline tom66

• Super Contributor
  • Electronics Hobbyist & FPGA/Embedded Systems EE
« Reply #82 on: January 21, 2022, 08:58:27 am »
That's basically what I proposed? Some nodes store everything, others only store the "hot" part of the blockchain that's in active use. Requiring the miners to have a complete copy would help ensure that the whole blockchain always remains available.

If some nodes hold everything, and the number of those nodes is small, it's theoretically possible to obtain access to all of those nodes and perform a hostile takeover of the network.  With access to the ledger you can corrupt transaction history, removing spending completely or permitting double spending, and the ledger is the only complete record, so unless all of the sub-nodes get together, they won't discover your con (and you might be long gone by that time.)

The 'genius' with bitcoin was giving nodes a reason to be a 'super-node', the mining reward.  Of course it's less genius now it consumes GWh of energy every year, but the original idea was pretty clever.

Solving that problem is non-trivial if you remove the reward mechanism.  I think Ethereum will be doing it by having 'consensus' through proof-of-stake and paying fees to those who maintain the block-chain;  not all that familiar with this though, so could be wrong.  It may be a certain size now where validating the transaction list itself is enough work to be computationally challenging.
« Last Edit: January 21, 2022, 09:00:16 am by tom66 »

Offline NiHaoMike

• Super Contributor
    • Facebook Page
« Reply #83 on: January 21, 2022, 12:51:55 pm »
If some nodes hold everything, and the number of those nodes is small, it's theoretically possible to obtain access to all of those nodes and perform a hostile takeover of the network.  With access to the ledger you can corrupt transaction history, removing spending completely or permitting double spending, and the ledger is the only complete record, so unless all of the sub-nodes get together, they won't discover your con (and you might be long gone by that time.)
It would take an impractical amount of work to generate an alternative history up to the first "hot block" since it would basically amount to a complete hash collision on the block right before, in contrast to mining only being a partial hash collision. To make that even less plausible, there could be "super blocks" that all nodes store which then would mean having to create an alternative history that intersects all those points.
Solving that problem is non-trivial if you remove the reward mechanism.  I think Ethereum will be doing it by having 'consensus' through proof-of-stake and paying fees to those who maintain the block-chain;  not all that familiar with this though, so could be wrong.  It may be a certain size now where validating the transaction list itself is enough work to be computationally challenging.
Curecoin and Foldingcoin use medical research as the "work" in "proof of work". Thus while that doesn't solve the energy use problem directly, it does mean that it does useful work outside of mining.

Online tszaboo

• Super Contributor
« Reply #84 on: January 21, 2022, 01:08:12 pm »

The 'genius' with bitcoin was giving nodes a reason to be a 'super-node', the mining reward.  Of course it's less genius now it consumes GWh of energy every year, but the original idea was pretty clever.

Ethereum PoS is years out by their own estimation. Too little, too late.
There are already chains have effective PoS implementation. And it works, today. There are networks that run at 0.001% of BTC's consumption, with tokens, NFT, compatible with the Ethereum virtual machine, and ecosystem, transfers take 2 seconds, and cost less than 1 cent. And you cannot "mine it" so it is not going to be an ecological disaster like ETH and BTC.

Offline magic

• Super Contributor
« Reply #85 on: January 21, 2022, 01:31:07 pm »
Curecoin and Foldingcoin use medical research as the "work" in "proof of work". Thus while that doesn't solve the energy use problem directly, it does mean that it does useful work outside of mining.
It's hard to have a cryptocurrency backed by proof of useful work. The work needs to satisfy the condition that it is hard to produce, but very cheap to verify that it has been produced correctly. Then you can have a distributed system that keeps track of transactions, rewards its participants and remains difficult to cheat.

Case in point,
At the end of each month, the FoldingCoin organization downloads the stats of each folder and distributes FLDC proportionate to the amount of completed work.
FLDC is built on the Counterparty protocol which allows for tokens to be built within the Bitcoin blockchain. So every FLDC transaction is actually a Bitcoin transaction as well.
:-DD

The following users thanked this post: tom66, MK14

Offline madires

• Super Contributor
  • A qualified hobbyist ;)
« Reply #86 on: January 21, 2022, 02:59:26 pm »
Blockchain based crypto money is nothing but an overly complicated and wasteful way of simple accounting. And it comes with a massive design flaw preventing it to scale up. With each new transaction (or bunch of transactions) the blockchain's size increases and that goes on forever. In classic accounting accounts' totals are carried over to the next fiscal year's ledger. So each year you start with an empty ledger and note the totals of the last year for each account as first entry.

Online SiliconWizard

• Super Contributor
« Reply #87 on: January 21, 2022, 07:59:35 pm »
Blockchain based crypto money is nothing but an overly complicated and wasteful way of simple accounting.

Not, it's not. It's a way of holding a proof of authenticity with very high probability, in a completely decentralized manner. "Simple accounting" doesn't give you that.

Beyond the alleged cost - to make a fair comparison, we would need to estimate the cost of "maintaining" regular currencies, which is much greater than many think, and is clearly not just simply about "storing data" - it's very much a political question rather than a technical one, as I already said before, IMHO.

So the funny part of it is, I'd be willing to bet that many people currently fiercely against cryptocurrencies will embrace them as the next great progress, the day their governments will switch to some kind of cryptocurrency - which is something that is already being studied.

Offline magic

• Super Contributor
« Reply #88 on: January 21, 2022, 08:06:03 pm »
You gotta be kidding me.

There are two reasons why governments would like to adopt crytpo:
- the total lack of privacy - all transactions are a matter of public record, it just takes linking a wallet to a person and you're in
- no need to collect taxes to run the system - peers pay for their electricity, problem solved

That's about all I can see.

Online SiliconWizard

• Super Contributor
« Reply #89 on: January 21, 2022, 08:24:34 pm »
You gotta be kidding me.

- the total lack of privacy - all transactions are a matter of public record, it just takes linking a wallet to a person and you're in
- no need to collect taxes to run the system - peers pay for their electricity, problem solved

Yes, and? How is that contradicting what I said above?
Of course, if/when governments switch to a "cryptocurrency", it will likely be a system close to what nctnico seems to be advocating - "supernodes", which governments and central banks will have complete control over. Which is kind of the opposite of the current model, which is entirely decentralized.

Maybe your "You gotta be kidding me" was to answer my "many people currently fiercely against cryptocurrencies will embrace them as the next great progress, the day their governments..." point?
You may neither like cyrptocurrencies as they are now, nor a possible future use by governments, but that's another story entirely. Judging from yout typical opinions here, you do not seem to have the opinion of the "majority", which I was targeting here. I am pretty convinced what I said is what is going to happen, at least for a majority of people. =)

Offline magic

• Super Contributor
« Reply #90 on: January 21, 2022, 08:38:32 pm »
Maybe your "You gotta be kidding me" was to answer my "many people currently fiercely against cryptocurrencies will embrace them as the next great progress, the day their governments..." point?
Yes.

Judging from yout typical opinions here, you do not seem to have the opinion of the "majority", which I was targeting here.
Damn, this is a strong argument.
I keep forgetting not to have faith in humanity, old habits die hard ;D

The following users thanked this post: Ed.Kloonk

Offline eti

• Super Contributor
  • !
« Reply #91 on: January 22, 2022, 01:38:20 am »
¯\_(ツ)_/¯ Oh well ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Wake up sillies.

Offline magic

• Super Contributor
« Reply #92 on: January 22, 2022, 09:48:27 am »
OMG Bitcoin down 9%
It went down 50% in a few weeks several times but it always recovers over the next few months.

Compared to contemporary legacy currencies even BTC has value :-DD
(Particularly now under the Global Reset it really went nuts for mysterious reasons.)

Offline Nominal Animal

• Super Contributor
« Reply #93 on: January 22, 2022, 09:53:35 am »

Wake up sillies.
I can't tell if this is serious or hilariously perceptive, because of how we rely on fiat money and pay for the privilege to the central banks.

I stand by my previous assessment of humanity. ;D

Online tszaboo

• Super Contributor
« Reply #94 on: January 22, 2022, 10:33:15 am »

Wake up sillies.
OMG, is it down with like 9% oh no.
That never happened before.

Oh, wait it did.

Offline madires

• Super Contributor
« Reply #95 on: January 22, 2022, 02:16:03 pm »
Blockchain based crypto money is nothing but an overly complicated and wasteful way of simple accounting.

Not, it's not. It's a way of holding a proof of authenticity with very high probability, in a completely decentralized manner. "Simple accounting" doesn't give you that.

Do we need everyone to keep a huge and ever-increasing copy of a public ledger? Again, it doesn't scale!

Offline nctnico

• Super Contributor
    • NCT Developments
« Reply #96 on: January 22, 2022, 02:20:03 pm »
You gotta be kidding me.

Yes, and? How is that contradicting what I said above?
Of course, if/when governments switch to a "cryptocurrency", it will likely be a system close to what nctnico seems to be advocating - "supernodes", which governments and central banks will have complete control over. Which is kind of the opposite of the current model, which is entirely decentralized.

I still want to insist in seperating between cryptocurrencies (the ones that needs to be mined by solving hashes and are useless for real world usage) and distributed ledger (the underlying database to store transactions). IMHO it is absolutely essential to understand the difference. Cryptocurrency are the cars and the distributed ledger is the road; to suggest an analogy.

If I take the NL for example: there is a separate company which takes care of all the financial transactions in the country. The advantage is that banks don't have to have their own payment systems and deal with shops that take payments and so on. So in a way it is efficient by having everything centralised. But it is also a weak point. Every now and then it does happen that there are outages which cause the payment processing in large parts of the country to stop (well, the NL is very small so an outage can cover a significant part of the country quickly).

A step further could be that the banks take part of the role back by using a distributed ledger which is shared among the banks. Another step in achieving decentralisation could be that big chain stores can have their own distributed ledger node.  But in the end we'd still be paying in Euros governed by the European Central bank. Definitely not cryptocurrency!

Offline madires

• Super Contributor
« Reply #97 on: January 22, 2022, 03:50:31 pm »
Some basics on money and banking: The Mystery of Banking by Murray N. Rothbard (https://mises.org/library/mystery-banking)

Offline nctnico

• Super Contributor
    • NCT Developments
« Reply #98 on: January 22, 2022, 04:00:12 pm »
Murray N. Rothbard (https://mises.org/library/mystery-banking)
OMG  :palm: Another moron that wants to go back to the gold standard. Rule of thumb: anyone who is suggesting to go back to the gold standard has no idea about modern economics are supposed to work. In the end gold is just a substitute as well and solves none of the underlying issues.
« Last Edit: January 22, 2022, 04:02:21 pm by nctnico »

Offline Nominal Animal

• Super Contributor
« Reply #99 on: January 22, 2022, 05:21:49 pm »
OMG  :palm: Another moron that wants to go back to the gold standard.
OMG :palm: Another moron who does not understand that the way modern economics is taught in academia and described in media is not the actual way modern economies work.

Let me guess, you also believe 'fractional banking' applies to international central banks?  Heh.

Offline schmitt trigger

• Super Contributor
« Reply #100 on: January 22, 2022, 05:25:31 pm »

IMHO people need to wrap their head around the fact that you can own something that doesn't physically exist. Think about something simple like the money in your bank account. That is a number stored in a database in a slot with your name on it. Technically you don't even own that database but you rent a slot in it.

Question: Would stocks or bonds fall into the same category?

I remember back when derivatives caused the market to crash, a banker explained that stocks are "as reflections from a mirror" and derivatives were "aggregate reflections from that and several other mirrors, reflected in yet another mirror". Which only could be seen, of course, as long as there was light shining on the objects.

Offline nctnico

• Super Contributor
    • NCT Developments
« Reply #101 on: January 22, 2022, 06:07:52 pm »

Question: Would stocks or bonds fall into the same category?
Stocks and bonds are also administrated in a database where you rent a slot but in general owning a piece of a company is owning something that exists.

I remember back when derivatives caused the market to crash, a banker explained that stocks are "as reflections from a mirror" and derivatives were "aggregate reflections from that and several other mirrors, reflected in yet another mirror". Which only could be seen, of course, as long as there was light shining on the objects.
AFAIK a derivative (option) is mostly used as an insurance against price fluctuations of stock. The issuer usually gets a fee.

If the stock is a share in an actual company then I don't see how it can be described as a reflection. If the stock is part ownership of a whole bunch of (sub-prime) loans which have been repacked a couple of times then it becomes really hard to figure out what the stock actually represents. Assessing the risks of derivatives from such stock becomes nearly impossible (which became painfully clear during the 2008 credit crunch).
« Last Edit: January 22, 2022, 09:11:17 pm by nctnico »

Offline nctnico

• Super Contributor
    • NCT Developments
« Reply #102 on: January 23, 2022, 01:21:30 am »
OMG :palm: Another moron who does not understand that the way modern economics is taught in academia and described in media is not the actual way modern economies work.

I understand enough of it that using things like the gold standard simply doesn't work. All the world's economists that are involved in actually running countries and banks seem to agree on that. Not because of some global conspiracy (please don't go there...) but simply because fiat money works. The modern banking system actually goes back centuries with its roots in the early 17th century at a place called 'Amsterdam'.

The thing is that no economic theory is absolutely right. Like pure kapitalism and pure communism just don't work. It has to be a mix which is adjusted for the situation at hand.

And if you model the value of money as an amount of work, then a lot of pieces start to fall in place. In the end any kind of value is created by somebody doing work. What sits on top is just layers of bartering tools and controls to keep the bartering system balanced. Look at inflation for example. In general work done loses its value over time. What is a loaf of bread worth after a week? What is the software you wrote worth after 10 years? So why should the money you got for that work keep the same value forever?
« Last Edit: January 23, 2022, 01:27:44 am by nctnico »

Offline Nominal Animal

• Super Contributor
« Reply #103 on: January 23, 2022, 02:15:38 pm »
I understand enough of it that using things like the gold standard simply doesn't work. All the world's economists that are involved in actually running countries and banks seem to agree on that. Not because of some global conspiracy (please don't go there...) but simply because fiat money works.
For the economists and those who pay their salaries; definitely yes.  (No, I do not believe in global conspiracies.  Or in conspiracies in general: that which can be explained by shortsighted greed and stupidity should not be attributed to a conspiracy.)

The underlying problem with fiat money is that it has no stabilizing mechanism at all.  It makes ownership more profitable than production, causing increasing gap between the majority and the most richest, and that monetary power leaks into politics.  This causes both internal problems, and international problems.  Even right now, in Eurasia, there is at least one war brewing because of energy and money politics.

The thing is that no economic theory is absolutely right. Like pure kapitalism and pure communism just don't work. It has to be a mix which is adjusted for the situation at hand.
Exactly.  The only thing we know for sure, is that it must include competition and rewards for efforts, otherwise humans (and many mammals) just stop functioning properly.  (Fairness in particular is something that must be included, as the concept has been proven to exist even in capuchin monkeys as a behaviour-driving factor.)

And if you model the value of money as an amount of work, then a lot of pieces start to fall in place. In the end any kind of value is created by somebody doing work.
If only our Western financial systems actually worked that way, I'd be very happy.

Because the central banks control the money supply –– do remember that governments increase the amount of money by going into debt for the central banks; it is free for the central banks but costs money for the governments! –– and can therefore control e.g. inflation and interest rates by controlling the supply, fiat money is completely separated from any actual measurable value.  Its value is what humans believe its value to be, and that's it.

This is also the reason why some want a monetary system backed by a physical, limited quantity, like gold.  For the opposite reason, keeping the fiat belief strong, it is also the reason why USA is so adamant about fiat USD being the world reserve currency.

What I've written here is actually quite noncontroversial; just about every experienced economist will agree on the above off the record.

The core question is, what would work better?  I don't know.  I'd personally settle for a different emphasis on taxation, especially on sales of derivatives; maybe a small (less than 1%) tax on stock transactions.  (For example, a quarter of the private wealth of UK is actually derivatives.  That is not sane, nor is it productive, because it is basically banks gambling with free money.  Taxing them would immediately kill things like high-frequency trading, which I believe would be a good thing.)

The annoying thing is that very few economists are suggesting any practical changes, really.  They are mostly either just prostrating over how good the current system is, or lamenting how bad the current system is, without any real suggestions.  The few exceptions, like Nobel laureate James Tobin, are few and far between.  And of the few exceptions, some like Klaus Schwab ("You will own nothing, and you will be happy"), are obviously utterly crazy, completely ignoring the biology and needs of the human animal, and assuming humans can be forced to change their fundamental nature to fit their utopistic (and horribly harsh) future vision.

In a world of fiat currencies, NFT's make perfect sense.

Offline NiHaoMike

• Super Contributor
    • Facebook Page
« Reply #104 on: January 23, 2022, 02:27:45 pm »
And you cannot "mine it" so it is not going to be an ecological disaster like ETH and BTC.
That makes it a lot less interesting for hobbyists, I like cryptocurrencies that are efficient to mine and favor small scale mining by hobbyists so as to maximize decentralization. Thus far, none of the "energy efficient" altcoins have remained that way in the long run. The most common way they try to achieve that is limiting mining by IP address, with known VPN/VPS ranges blacklisted. (It might actually work by whitelisting known residential IP ranges in the US.) Enforcing such a limit is the hard part, all those altcoins did that through a closed ecosystem which means it's not truly decentralized.

When Swagbucks was at its peak, mining it would yield more money earned per kWh used than driving a Prius 20 miles round trip to a $50/hour job, even under the very unrealistic assumption that the workplace uses no energy. ($50/hour * 8 hours/workday = $400/day, 20 miles/day / 50 MPG = 0.4 gallons/day, 0.4 gallons/day * 33.41 kWh/gallon = 13.364kWh/day, $400/day / 13.364kWh/day = $29.931/kWh) At that time, my Swagbucks mining setup used 6W (0.144kWh/day) and made over $5/day for $34.72/kWh, although that only lasted for a month or two before difficulty went up.

Offline madires

• Super Contributor
« Reply #105 on: January 24, 2022, 07:46:15 pm »
An OpenSea bug let attackers snatch Apes from owners at six-figure discounts (https://www.theverge.com/2022/1/24/22899125/opensea-bug-bored-ape-nfts-smart-contract-listings-cancellation).

Offline nctnico

• Super Contributor
    • NCT Developments
« Reply #106 on: January 24, 2022, 09:53:17 pm »
I understand enough of it that using things like the gold standard simply doesn't work. All the world's economists that are involved in actually running countries and banks seem to agree on that. Not because of some global conspiracy (please don't go there...) but simply because fiat money works.
For the economists and those who pay their salaries; definitely yes.  (No, I do not believe in global conspiracies.  Or in conspiracies in general: that which can be explained by shortsighted greed and stupidity should not be attributed to a conspiracy.)

The underlying problem with fiat money is that it has no stabilizing mechanism at all.
It has a stabilisation mechanism. There are several controls. One is the interest rate for example. With a high interest rate people will pull their money from the economy and sit on it. With a low interest rate people will start to invest and thus make the money available to the economy.

Offline madires

• Super Contributor
« Reply #107 on: January 29, 2022, 09:47:06 am »
More Than 80% of NFTs Created for Free on OpenSea Are Fraud or Spam, Company Says (https://www.vice.com/en/article/wxdzb5/more-than-80-of-nfts-created-for-free-on-opensea-are-fraud-or-spam-company-says).

Online tszaboo

• Super Contributor
« Reply #108 on: January 29, 2022, 10:01:15 am »
More Than 80% of NFTs Created for Free on OpenSea Are Fraud or Spam, Company Says (https://www.vice.com/en/article/wxdzb5/more-than-80-of-nfts-created-for-free-on-opensea-are-fraud-or-spam-company-says).
Not surprising. Most of the ETH mining is done  by frontrunner bots, ripping off regular traders. Most tradeable tokens are a scam, on some networks like the BSC over 99% of the tokens are scam, and some people analyzing it, the mean lifetime of the scam was 17 minutes.
It's a wild west out there, and the only way for people to avoid getting ripped off is by learning and educating themselves about it.

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf