Author Topic: BEWARE of fake EEVblog NFT's  (Read 12760 times)

Offline EEVblogTopic starter

• Administrator
    • EEVblog
BEWARE of fake EEVblog NFT's
« on: January 15, 2022, 10:36:08 pm »

The following users thanked this post: SeanB

Offline MK14

• Super Contributor
Re: BEWARE of fake EEVblog NFT's
« Reply #1 on: January 15, 2022, 10:47:02 pm »
I'm sorry, that you are having that problem. It is sad that you have to waste time on things like that, because of scammers (or whatever they should be called).

I still don't really understand what the heck an NFT is, given we already have copyright, patents, property ownership, domain names etc. Why do we need NFTs as well ?
It is sounding a bit like bitcoin.

Offline Benta

• Super Contributor
« Reply #2 on: January 15, 2022, 10:58:17 pm »
Ignore it.
If someone thinks they can make money out of "crypto"-stuff, let them. When they're broke, it ends automatically then.

"Never give a sucker an even break." W.C. Fields.

The following users thanked this post: EEEnthusiast

Offline MadTux

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #3 on: January 15, 2022, 11:07:19 pm »
Hopefully all that crypto cancer goes bust, like dotcom back then.
My compassion will be similar as with those banksters back in '07-09...

Online SiliconWizard

• Super Contributor
« Reply #4 on: January 15, 2022, 11:14:48 pm »
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Non-fungible_token

The problem is not making money out of "crypto stuff". Anyone is free to buy and sell cryptocurrencies. You may or may not find that immoral or whatever, but it's (usually) not illegal.

Problem here is that NFT are non-fungible (so if you think cryptocurrencies are a waste of energy, for instance, NFTs are way worse in that respect.)

But the real problem, regarding EEVblog, is that the guy uses EEVblog's image/branding without any consent - which is just fraudulent. The fact it's NFT only marginally matters.

As to why those things sell these days? Go figure. People have, do and will buy stuff because it's hype. And not being physical goods, it doesn't take up any of their available space (compared to a physical painting or sculpture, for instance), so I guess they find it convenient. Or something.

Offline NiHaoMike

• Super Contributor
  • "Don't turn it on - Take it apart!"
    • Facebook Page
« Reply #5 on: January 16, 2022, 12:56:53 am »
Hopefully all that crypto cancer goes bust, like dotcom back then.
My compassion will be similar as with those banksters back in '07-09...
I'm hoping that energy efficient cryptocurrencies become the norm. That can be cryptocurrencies that use little energy to mine or cryptocurrencies where the "mining" does useful work (or both). Main problem is that thus far, none of them have been truly popular or have remained efficient in the long term.
Cryptocurrency has taught me to love math and at the same time be baffled by it.

Cryptocurrency lesson 0: Altcoins and Bitcoin are not the same thing.

Offline nctnico

• Super Contributor
    • NCT Developments
« Reply #6 on: January 16, 2022, 01:29:32 am »
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Non-fungible_token

As to why those things sell these days? Go figure. People have, do and will buy stuff because it's hype. And not being physical goods, it doesn't take up any of their available space (compared to a physical painting or sculpture, for instance), so I guess they find it convenient. Or something.
Actually there is more to NFTs than that. An NFT is a certificate of ownership based on a distributed ledger (DLT). It is definitely not cryptocurrency!

The value of a NFT is based on the (digital) object it represents. It seems to be gaining quite a bit of traction in the (digital) art world because it allows multiple people to become part owner of a piece (*) and the artist can choose to receive a kickback for every transaction.

* There are organisations /systems which allow people to invest in expensive objects (art, historical, etc)  and trade the ownerships like shares. NFTs bring the ability to trade ownership without needing a middle man like auction houses etc.
There are small lies, big lies and then there is what is on the screen of your oscilloscope.

Offline eti

• Super Contributor
  • !
  • MOD: a.k.a Unlokia, glossywhite, iamwhoiam etc
« Reply #7 on: January 16, 2022, 01:35:31 am »
The world is ram packed with overpaid scammers, and I mean “legitimate” 🤨😏 jobs, and those jobs earn people TOO MUCH wealth for their maturity level (physically grown up is not the same thing as mature and responsible), so they’re ripe for being swept along by the latest fad, so they can tell their equally shallow, dopey peers all about it and brag.

Too much superfluous income and they’re  too self-absorbed or blinded to see that helping others is more edifying than storing up earthly treasure and “buying” junk that you can’t even touch.

Idiocy could power the world, if only it could be harnessed. I guess Musk has harnessed a bit of it 🤣

Summary: Let’s just blame Californians - they’re the source of most utter bullshit that people see as “legitimate” and get suckered into. (Yes I’m serious, it’s the idiot centre of murica)
« Last Edit: January 16, 2022, 01:37:44 am by eti »

Online SiliconWizard

• Super Contributor
« Reply #8 on: January 16, 2022, 01:46:45 am »
Summary: Let’s just blame Californians - they’re the source of most utter bullshit that people see as “legitimate” and get suckered into. (Yes I’m serious, it’s the idiot centre of murica)

;D

Offline rstofer

• Super Contributor
« Reply #9 on: January 16, 2022, 01:55:01 am »

Don't let the fact that Silicon Valley is flooded in money sway your thinking!

When you can sell a POS tract house for $2M, you just know there is a lot of money laying around.

https://sf.curbed.com/2018/3/2/17073100/silicon-valley-house-home-sunnyvale-record-price-crisis

Offline EEVblogTopic starter

• Administrator
    • EEVblog
« Reply #10 on: January 16, 2022, 02:15:35 am »
I still don't really understand what the heck an NFT is, given we already have copyright, patents, property ownership, domain names etc. Why do we need NFTs as well ?

Digital collectible bragging rights. And the hope that you can sell it onto someone else who wants to brag even more than you.

There are legit uses of course, but it's mostly just a mass hysteria digital art speculation fest right now.

The following users thanked this post: SeanB, MK14

Offline eti

• Super Contributor
  • !
« Reply #11 on: January 16, 2022, 02:17:54 am »

Digital collectible bragging rights. And the hope that you can sell it onto someone else who wants to brag even more than you.

There are legit uses of course, but it's mostly just a mass hysteria digital art speculation fest right now.

I’ve got a JPEG of a bridge to sell you; interested?

The following users thanked this post: tom66

Offline MK14

• Super Contributor
« Reply #12 on: January 16, 2022, 02:28:04 am »

Thanks, that makes a lot of sense (in this day and age, unfortunately).

It reminds me of the Guinness book of world records, where at one end of the spectrum, you had purely real genuine world achievements, such as who can run a mile in the quickest time, fastest wheeled vehicle top speed, fastest computer (supercomputer) in the world, and so on.

But, they allowed (partly silly) entries, whereby a normal, non-world record type of person would do something silly (examples are made up by me, i.e. not true), like buy 5,199 tins of peas, and say that is the world record number of cans of peas to be kept in a normal room in a house. Yes, at some level it is a world record, but it is being silly really, as there are almost an unlimited number of such things e.g. 5,199 9.573K 1 watt resistors, in a single box. Etc.

These NFTs, should be tied in to the actual owners of the thing (i.e. a youtube channel, trademarks, copyrights etc), not some random unconnected (possible scammer), who just happens to create the NFT.

Offline eti

• Super Contributor
  • !
« Reply #13 on: January 16, 2022, 02:32:05 am »

Thanks, that makes a lot of sense (in this day and age, unfortunately).

Makes a lot of cents… 😜

The following users thanked this post: MK14

Offline amyk

• Super Contributor
« Reply #14 on: January 16, 2022, 03:13:00 am »
None of the NFT stuff makes any real sense. I'm firmly on the "it's a scam" side.

The following users thanked this post: gnavigator1007, MK14, eti

Online SiliconWizard

• Super Contributor
« Reply #15 on: January 16, 2022, 03:19:45 am »
Selling anything virtual may be seen as a scam. I guess it gets all philosophical. It's a pretty interesting discussion certainly, if only because our world is increasingly becoming virtual. This has just barely begun.

But again, main point here is that usurpating someone else's IP without their consent is fraudulent, whether it's NFT or not. NFT doesn't magically invalidate laws.

The following users thanked this post: amyk, MK14, VooDust

Offline KE5FX

• Super Contributor
    • KE5FX.COM
« Reply #16 on: January 16, 2022, 04:57:58 am »

Online bdunham7

• Super Contributor
« Reply #17 on: January 16, 2022, 05:11:46 am »
I won't post it, but if you dare just Google "Cara Delevingne NFT"
A 3.5 digit 4.5 digit 5 digit 5.5 digit 6.5 digit 7.5 digit DMM is good enough for most people.

Offline Ed.Kloonk

• Super Contributor
  • Cat video aficionado
« Reply #18 on: January 16, 2022, 06:45:12 am »
A better investment might be one of these..

iratus parum formica

The following users thanked this post: MadTux, Cubdriver, MK14, MrMobodies

Offline MrMobodies

• Super Contributor
« Reply #19 on: January 16, 2022, 07:52:51 am »
I see it is happening to others:
https://www.reddit.com/r/accursedfarms/comments/s4r8hu/latest_tweet_the_youtube_channel_url_is_sold_as/
12 hours ago:
A viewer emailed me informing me my Youtube channel is apparently an NFT.  I don't have a lot of time or interest to fight this, but feel free to on my behalf, using this twitter post as evidence.  We've entered very weird levels of fraud here.

https://uk.trustpilot.com/review/opensea.io

Looks like the platform has not got a good reputation:

67 Reviews:
Excellent   7%
Great   4%
Average   2%
Poor           9%
Bad         78%

https://old.reddit.com/r/opensea/comments/m0fpj9/opensea_are_a_scam/
[–]hotsaucecross 2 points 10 months ago
I've been scammed on OpenSea unfortunately. The seller keeps opening and shutting down accounts and stealing back their NFT's they sold somehow. My post explains it >> www.reddit.com/r/opensea/comments/m0tb60/scam_alert_please_comment_if_you_bought_from/

The link to their domain seems parked and registered:
https://whois.domaintools.com/staketheweb.net

135 days old
Created on 2021-09-02
Expires on 2022-09-02
Updated on 2021-09-02

Maybe it is not theirs.

It would be interesting to find out if opensea.io are really affiliated with the affiliates below:

Andressen Horowitz
Coinbase
Ycombinator
Trust Wallet
Dapper
Quantastamp
Founders Fund
Blockchain Capital

I'll look at them later.

I noticed that animation on the page is linked to some Google account and I don't remember seeing any logo like that before so I wonder if it is something they made up.

||lh3.googleusercontent.com/iA9nv7I1J2EoPNOsDwqvKmyPFq8hhY-25h7G9_CC7fWUh7H9BecfRiMJJ2zpLm31g9ZPbpcs7k0HHKoJaG_Z0NA9b2OJEXI-5DbLqw=w600

Yep it is something they made up with their @2021 StakeTheWeb

Claiming copyright for something that isn't theirs now that's a bit cheeky.
« Last Edit: January 16, 2022, 08:00:19 am by MrMobodies »

Offline station240

• Supporter
« Reply #20 on: January 16, 2022, 08:10:52 am »
The value of a NFT is based on the (digital) object it represents. It seems to be gaining quite a bit of traction in the (digital) art world because it allows multiple people to become part owner of a piece (*) and the artist can choose to receive a kickback for every transaction.

* There are organisations /systems which allow people to invest in expensive objects (art, historical, etc)  and trade the ownerships like shares. NFTs bring the ability to trade ownership without needing a middle man like auction houses etc.

The theory behind NFTs was the artist would get a portion of the money as the digital asset increased in value.
Reality is there are bots (on twitter for example) that steal digital artwork, and sell the NFT w/out permission.
Given how crypto currency works, you can't even cancel or take ownership of the stolen item.

Whole Cryto currency thing reminds me of the quote:
"No trees were killed to send this message, but a large number of electrons were terribly inconvenienced."

Offline not1xor1

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #21 on: January 16, 2022, 09:29:09 am »
NFT and cryptocurrency madness are just a modern digital form of tulip mania
unlike tulips though they cause a great deal of environment damage both from energy waste and fast hardware turnover

The following users thanked this post: SeanB, cdev, MK14

Offline Nominal Animal

• Super Contributor
    • My home page and email address
« Reply #22 on: January 16, 2022, 11:23:07 am »
The population of this planet is insane. :-//

Offline magic

• Super Contributor
« Reply #23 on: January 16, 2022, 11:49:23 am »
Glad people are finally waking up to this simplest truth.
I knew it since I turned five :-DD

Offline nctnico

• Super Contributor
    • NCT Developments
« Reply #24 on: January 16, 2022, 12:01:03 pm »

The theory behind NFTs was the artist would get a portion of the money as the digital asset increased in value.
Reality is there are bots (on twitter for example) that steal digital artwork, and sell the NFT w/out permission.
Given how crypto currency DLT (distributed ledger) works, you can't even cancel or take ownership of the stolen item.
Fixed that for you!
There are small lies, big lies and then there is what is on the screen of your oscilloscope.

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf