Author Topic: BEWARE of fake EEVblog NFT's  (Read 12654 times)

Offline MadTux

• Frequent Contributor
Re: BEWARE of fake EEVblog NFT's
« Reply #25 on: January 16, 2022, 12:10:38 pm »
A better investment might be one of these..

Someone already did that ;-D
https://thebittimes.com/token-PEDOPHILE%2BPRINCE%2BANDREW-BSC-0x4d1d800588ff4fda275b0595f212cdf18d075552.html

Which makes me believe even more, that crypto bullshit gets diversified to death and finally go bust....
« Last Edit: January 16, 2022, 12:13:07 pm by MadTux »

The following users thanked this post: Ed.Kloonk

Online rsjsouza

• Super Contributor
  • Eternally curious
    • Vbe - vídeo blog eletrônico
« Reply #26 on: January 16, 2022, 12:31:22 pm »
NFT and cryptocurrency madness are just a modern digital form of tulip mania
unlike tulips though they cause a great deal of environment damage both from energy waste and fast hardware turnover
Just like a few others, I haven't heard of NFT before but, given that some people buy canned farts and bathwater from girls for enormous amounts of money or even pay to have their names written on their arms on camera, I am not surprised to find someone exploring this segment of the economy as well.  :-DD
Vbe - vídeo blog eletrônico http://videos.vbeletronico.com

Oh, the "whys" of the datasheets... The information is there not to be an axiomatic truth, but instead each speck of data must be slowly inhaled while carefully performing a deep search inside oneself to find the true metaphysical sense...

The following users thanked this post: MK14

Offline Nusa

• Super Contributor
« Reply #27 on: January 16, 2022, 12:34:14 pm »
Summary: Let’s just blame Californians

People who feel the need to stereotype 40 million people as all being the same is a problem. Which is obviously not true, or you would all be Boris Johnson clones, but you say it anyway.
12% of the US population is in California. California's GDP is larger than all of the UK. They must be doing something right.

Offline magic

• Super Contributor
« Reply #28 on: January 16, 2022, 02:06:23 pm »
People who feel the need to stereotype 40 million people as all being the same is a problem.
12% of the US population is in California. California's GDP is larger than all of the UK
You aren't exactly refuting him by talking like a typical American and under a US flag :P

Offline Nusa

• Super Contributor
« Reply #29 on: January 16, 2022, 05:19:33 pm »
People who feel the need to stereotype 40 million people as all being the same is a problem.
12% of the US population is in California. California's GDP is larger than all of the UK
You aren't exactly refuting him by talking like a typical American and under a US flag :P

How many of the 330 million of us actually are whatever you think a typical American is? Why did you think snipping the last sentence out was worth doing? "They must be doing something right."

Questions....are they better than Polish jokes?

The following users thanked this post: schmitt trigger

Offline Rick Law

• Super Contributor
« Reply #30 on: January 16, 2022, 08:33:37 pm »

[reply summarized by RL as: ]

...if you went up to the mona lisa...l'd like to own it...you paid them and they went "here's you receipt..."[they] went to an unmarked supply closet in the back and posted a handmade label inside that said "mona lisa currently owned by..."

Scamming is probably as old as homo-sapiens.

Every Christmas and other gift-giving seasons, you see this on USA TV - the unique "gift" of naming a star after someone.  They send you a "certificate" and put it in a book call USA Star Registry with "copyright".  This is exactly like putting your name as the "owner" in a closet.  That you "named" a star after someone is true, but only in that book and I doubt if that book is even published or sold.

Giving the frequency that ad shows up, I suppose there are enough new scam victims years after years to make the scam still viable.  I would insert a link to prove this silly scam exist, but I don't want to give them more traffic.

"There's a sucker bone every minute..."
« Last Edit: January 16, 2022, 08:35:50 pm by Rick Law »

Online rsjsouza

• Super Contributor
  • Eternally curious
« Reply #31 on: January 17, 2022, 02:38:41 am »
There is a new fad heavily promoted in youtube that, if you buy a piece of land in Scotland, you are granted a title of "Lord" or "Lady".

It may well be truth (I know nothing about Scotland's laws), but it is an interesting way to cater to a human's vanity bone.  :-DD

Oh, the "whys" of the datasheets... The information is there not to be an axiomatic truth, but instead each speck of data must be slowly inhaled while carefully performing a deep search inside oneself to find the true metaphysical sense...

Offline eti

• Super Contributor
  • !
  • MOD: a.k.a Unlokia, glossywhite, iamwhoiam etc
« Reply #32 on: January 17, 2022, 03:04:32 am »

[reply summarized by RL as: ]

...if you went up to the mona lisa...l'd like to own it...you paid them and they went "here's you receipt..."[they] went to an unmarked supply closet in the back and posted a handmade label inside that said "mona lisa currently owned by..."

Scamming is probably as old as homo-sapiens.

Every Christmas and other gift-giving seasons, you see this on USA TV - the unique "gift" of naming a star after someone.  They send you a "certificate" and put it in a book call USA Star Registry with "copyright".  This is exactly like putting your name as the "owner" in a closet.  That you "named" a star after someone is true, but only in that book and I doubt if that book is even published or sold.

Giving the frequency that ad shows up, I suppose there are enough new scam victims years after years to make the scam still viable.  I would insert a link to prove this silly scam exist, but I don't want to give them more traffic.

"There's a sucker bone every minute..."

I'd think stars were named by their parents, unless adopting a stage alias. 😜

Offline eti

• Super Contributor
  • !
« Reply #33 on: January 17, 2022, 05:53:59 am »
This says exactly what I think about this crock of shite ✌️NFT✌️Lunacy

https://shkspr.mobi/blog/2021/02/stop-this-digital-ownership-madness-nfts-are-bullshit-and-the-stupid-makes-me-angry/

Offline VooDust

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #34 on: January 17, 2022, 07:00:45 am »
An NFT is a certificate of ownership based on a distributed ledger (DLT). It is definitely not cryptocurrency!

this is the literal definition of cryptocurrency

Offline Nominal Animal

• Super Contributor
    • My home page and email address
« Reply #35 on: January 17, 2022, 07:38:25 am »
You uncouth you.  Everybody knows stars are just holes in the celestial sphere.  That's where 'celebrity' comes from: a celestial a-hole, all Brits being a-

:palm:

Offline eti

• Super Contributor
  • !
« Reply #36 on: January 17, 2022, 08:02:24 am »
You uncouth you.  Everybody knows stars are just holes in the celestial sphere.  That's where 'celebrity' comes from: a celestial a-hole, all Brits being a-

That's rather an ignorant comment, tbh. I'd never be so utterly rude and childish as to write off a whole country like that.  I could say a fair amount about any country, but we're all humans and all deserve respect.

Offline Nusa

• Super Contributor
« Reply #37 on: January 17, 2022, 08:18:52 am »

That's rather an ignorant comment, tbh. I'd never be so utterly rude and childish as to write off a whole country like that.  I could say a fair amount about any country, but we're all humans and all deserve respect.

Unless they're Californians, right? Where was your respect?

Offline Nominal Animal

• Super Contributor
    • My home page and email address
« Reply #38 on: January 17, 2022, 08:41:52 am »
Nusa, this was sarcasm.

I'm the one who likes to tell jokes about Finns, because they're funny, and highlight something typically Finnish, that either tends to apply to most Finns without them realizing (the "I wonder what that elephant thinks of me" joke), or only applies to very few Finns but everyone thinks its true ("The Great Misfortune at Lake Inari" joke about drinking Vodka in a snowstorm).

The funny thing about stereotypes is their absurdity.  It is exactly the absurdity that makes them funny.

(Which is why I like comics by Jukka Tilsa: they're absurd to the extreme.  Like in Space Pants, where a guy starts sawing a tree that is actually a shapeshifter from space, and turns into a giraffe.  The guy's friend shouts him to stop sawing the giraffes leg, but they guy answers he can't hear anything as the saw is making a rah-rah noise, you see.)

Because it is the absurdity that makes them funny, nothing should be outside the realm of humor.  If we say that for example burning babies is not something that can be joked about, we are diminishing the world we observe, and moreover, the scope of things we question about ourselves.

If you want to combat a stereotype, the actual working method is to show its absurdity: taking it and running with it to the extreme.
Telling someone they're being bigoted is not effective at all, but taking their preconceptions and letting them realize how bigoted they are, even if through humor, is.

Me, I'm very bigoted.  I'm big on off topic stuff.

The following users thanked this post: tom66, nctnico, daqq, pardo-bsso, MK14

Offline Ed.Kloonk

• Super Contributor
  • Cat video aficionado
« Reply #39 on: January 17, 2022, 08:47:12 am »
God bless you.
iratus parum formica

Offline eti

• Super Contributor
  • !
« Reply #40 on: January 17, 2022, 09:07:25 am »
Strange tangent 🤨

The following users thanked this post: Ed.Kloonk, Nominal Animal

Offline amyk

• Super Contributor
« Reply #41 on: January 17, 2022, 02:26:29 pm »
unlike tulips though they cause a great deal of environment damage both from energy waste and fast hardware turnover
Just like a few others, I haven't heard of NFT before but, given that some people buy canned farts and bathwater from girls for enormous amounts of money or even pay to have their names written on their arms on camera, I am not surprised to find someone exploring this segment of the economy as well.  :-DD
Physical items are different, regardless of how odd they are. Unlike NFTs, they actually exist as something other than a string of bits stored somewhere.

Offline nctnico

• Super Contributor
    • NCT Developments
« Reply #42 on: January 17, 2022, 03:18:24 pm »
Physical items are different, regardless of how odd they are. Unlike NFTs, they actually exist as something other than a string of bits stored somewhere.

That makes me wonder: do you still buy music & video in physical form? And if so, what do you actually own?
There are small lies, big lies and then there is what is on the screen of your oscilloscope.

Online rsjsouza

• Super Contributor
  • Eternally curious
« Reply #43 on: January 17, 2022, 08:29:19 pm »
I do. I still can't get my head around buying a file with music or movie,  but I understand these are dying formats. 

As to who owns it, I do own the CD and treat it like anything else in physical form I buy.

Online Bud

• Super Contributor
« Reply #44 on: January 17, 2022, 08:55:41 pm »
Frankly, in general, this is a silly comment. It would be same as saying brand bames and trademarks are just digital bullshit. In case you do not know, look up how much CocaCola brand name cost.

Edit: and by the way, i've never seen anyone claiming "environmental damage" from digital currency operation.
« Last Edit: January 17, 2022, 09:40:29 pm by Bud »
Facebook-free life and Rigol-free shack.

Offline bdunham7

• Super Contributor
« Reply #45 on: January 17, 2022, 09:27:04 pm »
That makes me wonder: do you still buy music & video in physical form? And if so, what do you actually own?

There are actually two questions embedded in that first one, 'buy' and 'physical'.   :)
A 3.5 digit 4.5 digit 5 digit 5.5 digit 6.5 digit 7.5 digit DMM is good enough for most people.

Offline nctnico

• Super Contributor
    • NCT Developments
« Reply #46 on: January 17, 2022, 09:44:31 pm »
I do. I still can't get my head around buying a file with music or movie,  but I understand these are dying formats. 

As to who owns it, I do own the CD and treat it like anything else in physical form I buy.
I quit buying music & video in physical form years ago. For me it is much easier to play music from my PC than having to change CDs all the time. But the thing is: when I buy a music file, I get a file without anything. Selling it on is hard since I have no way to really prove I own a license  to the file or anything ((you don't own music, video, etc; just a license to listen / watch). Maybe the receipt could help but it is easy to fake. Now, if I had some kind of unique and traceable digital token attached to the file that would indicate that I own some form of license, I could sell it on. And that is the void that NFTs are filling.
« Last Edit: January 17, 2022, 10:03:40 pm by nctnico »
There are small lies, big lies and then there is what is on the screen of your oscilloscope.

Offline EEVblogTopic starter

• Administrator
    • EEVblog
« Reply #47 on: January 18, 2022, 02:04:07 am »

Here is an example of using NFT's in the future. Ticket stubs.
You go to a concert and you get and keep your ticket stub to prove that you went to the concert. Some of them even become collectible. But the point is you can post a Facebook photo of your ticket stub to show off to everyone that you went.
In the NFT future you won't get physical ticket stubs you'll get an NFT stub that "proves" you went were part of that thing. People will then show off their "collection" of NFT's by virtue of some social mechanism that likely doesn't exist yet, but in the future will be tied to your social profile for bragging rights.

Hypothetical future: Say you support a creator on Patreon or some other platform, you get an NFT "badge" that shows you financially supported that creator.
« Last Edit: January 18, 2022, 02:10:16 am by EEVblog »

Offline Ed.Kloonk

• Super Contributor
  • Cat video aficionado
« Reply #48 on: January 18, 2022, 02:08:45 am »
Pink Floyd - 1987

Dire Straights - 1986

Stevie Nicks - '86

Eurythmics '87

Sydney Entertainment Centre. A lot of pub gigs tickets have gone missing.
iratus parum formica

The following users thanked this post: pardo-bsso

Offline cdev

• Super Contributor
  • !
« Reply #49 on: January 18, 2022, 02:56:57 am »
I have a bunch of GPUs, two or perhaps three are capable of running fairly recent drivers and software. I could probably "mine crypto" on them IF it earned me more than the electrcity cost that would be nice, but does that make economic sense? Or not? At one time, long ago, I guess it did, but now?
I have an Rx580 and a GTX-1070. Kind of older cards.. I doubt if its worth it with my older hardware except in the winter when the heat is helpful.. If I am using power, instead of running an electric heater may as well capture some additional value from the heat, eh?
"What the large print giveth, the small print taketh away."

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf