Author Topic: Biden admin moving forward with light bulb bans in coming weeks  (Read 13001 times)

Offline IdahoManTopic starter

• Regular Contributor
Let's go Brandon!  >:(

Biden admin moving forward with light bulb bans in coming weeks
Propaganda removed

"The Biden administration is preparing to implement a sweeping nationwide
ban on commonly used light bulbs as part of its energy efficiency and climate agenda."

------------------

I'll tell you one thing, I'll be danged I'm going to put those inappropriate ward removed, blue, hideous, over-bright, stabbing, abomination LED lights on my vehicle.

So the question(s): How do I get regular lights for vehicle?

-Smuggle them somehow?
-How hard would it be to home-make a bulb?

Thanks,
IM
« Last Edit: April 03, 2023, 05:23:02 pm by Simon »

Offline james_s

• Super Contributor
Re: Biden admin moving forward with light bulb bans in coming weeks
« Reply #1 on: April 02, 2023, 02:38:15 am »
Vehicle? It sounds like they're talking about household bulbs, with incandescent and halogen versions largely being phased out already for years. Vehicles have a regulatory challenge in that LED retrofits into headlamps and signal lights are not DOT approved and there are no LED headlamp retrofits that are compatible with existing optics meant for halogen lamps.

I think a ban is pointless since the market has already been dominated by LED, but I don't think those of us with vehicles old enough to have incandescent lamps have much to worry about. Besides, as long as they're being manufactured you'll still be able to order them from China.

Offline coppercone2

• Super Contributor
  • $
« Reply #2 on: April 02, 2023, 02:53:21 am »
the only thing I am worried about is heat lamps, I love them in the bathroom. 300 watts and they get used a handful of times a year on cold winters.

If they discontinue them, then ~1 hour of 300 watts being drawn will probobly be replaced by many hours of 1000 watt heater being run (its slow, need to heat up before you shower). Very stupid trade off, people that switch from occasional IR heating to convection heating will slaughter the energy savings lol

And BTW I pity the people that use the cheap LED lights, just wow, I think they make people mental when the color temperature is all fucked up. But so long like good bulbs are available, there is no way in hell I want to go back to CFL or incandescent for lighting purposes. For heating purposes the infrared bulb is unmatched.

And small incandescents, under say 10W, should be exempt because they are relaxing. IMO these bulbs are medical devices that can reduce sleeping problems, particularly on a dimmer when run at lower power levels. 

There is another factor too, I wonder how much E-waste will be generated when bulb inrush limiter circuits (dim bulb limiter) are unavailable for electronics trouble shooting. There has got to be mountains of SMPSU that were fixed thanks to these things  :o

Guess you need to design a new type of current limiter, hopefully a box of complex electronics. Assuming this happens, we need a possibly tax stamped bulb available for scientific purposes, because the bulb is a unique component useful for complex repairs.... say for repairing a $5000 welding machine or something. If I came across this problem, with SMPSU, which are just getting more common, I would pay $25 for a bulb easily. Think ahead for your green agenda, because repairing stuff is green, and repairing a solar inverter with a light bulb is a BIG WIN for the climate, that makes it appealing for customers to purchase because its repairable.   :o

« Last Edit: April 02, 2023, 03:15:28 am by coppercone2 »

The following users thanked this post: Zoli

Offline RJSV

• Super Contributor
« Reply #3 on: April 02, 2023, 03:02:16 am »
(this one is almost like some, sick, click-bait)
    Don worry about your older car's needing incandescent bulbs...soon they'll be coming to take your whole car !
(Slurred speech, like our leader)

Online SiliconWizard

• Super Contributor
« Reply #4 on: April 02, 2023, 03:04:40 am »
Is that an April's fool?

(Oh the whole "climate agenda" looks so much like an April's fool anyway.)

The following users thanked this post: amyk, Stray Electron, vad, Zoli

Offline mariush

• Super Contributor
« Reply #5 on: April 02, 2023, 03:13:59 am »
Incadescent light bulbs can still be bought in Europe ... they just label them "for industrial equipment" ,  as heating elements for warming fertilized chicken eggs...

The following users thanked this post: thm_w

Offline Kim Christensen

• Super Contributor
« Reply #6 on: April 02, 2023, 03:17:17 am »
They banned import/sale of 100W incandescent bulbs in Canada in 2014 and 40W & 60W in 2015.
There are exceptions for things like oven lights, etc...
« Last Edit: April 02, 2023, 03:20:42 am by Kim Christensen »

Offline coppercone2

• Super Contributor
  • $
« Reply #7 on: April 02, 2023, 03:19:56 am »
I also believe they are necessary for high vibration environments.

But damn they all have unique thermoelectric behavior for limiter circuits, its just like replacing the most functional thing with the most rupe goldberg thing ever. Transistor arrays to replace a damn 1 inch long coil.

Read this thread to see how the alternatives look. I tried to get rid of the bulb with a few ideas and they literary all failed miserably based on others analysis.
https://www.eevblog.com/forum/repair/current-limiter-box-for-repairs/

this is the kind of technology that people use to repair expensive welding machines that can put a person on the street if they break (well, at least as important as a company car). ! Unless they send a permanent government oversight committee to make the Miller Company welding equipment more friendly towards repairs, I want my damn light bulbs. I suspect people use them for fix complex inverters, VFD, etc (all very expensive and critical electrical equipment for basically everyone including big and small companies now). Wanna know how to win the war with china? Speed. Don't put a business out of service because they cant restrict current to repair some POS transistor holding up a assembly line and have to get into expensive service contracts and all sorts of expensive shit!
« Last Edit: April 02, 2023, 03:27:34 am by coppercone2 »

Offline mendip_discovery

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #8 on: April 02, 2023, 08:27:41 am »
Ooh this sounds familiar.

I did a quick look for the source of this news and its Fox. Quell surprise. I guess this explains the thought that it also means car headlight bulbs. I did chuckle as I went down the list on the search as one of the places which this is a hot topic is a AR15 forum.

We had a similar thing back a few years ago in the UK. All it did was motivate the doomsday types to go out and buy a fookton of 100W bulbs. Also for the EU to get the blame as a nanny state etc. Funnily enough we can still buy 100W bulbs, they are just not in your supermarket shelves.

I note the headline is rather pointed. It's not aimed at Biden, but his administration. This I guess is in preparation for him not standing again so a scare story to do with somthing close to Americans hearts is chosen to batter the whole party. This is much like what happened in the UK towards the EU prior to the Brexit stuff.

Does changing bulbs do much for households. In my case not much but I guess with the recent hike in electricity prices it did help take the edge off it a little.
Motorcyclist, Nerd, and I work in a Calibration Lab :-)
--
So everyone is clear, Calibration = Taking Measurement against a known source, Verification = Checking Calibration against Specification, Adjustment = Adjusting the unit to be within specifications.

Offline magic

• Super Contributor
« Reply #9 on: April 02, 2023, 09:03:37 am »
I note the headline is rather pointed. It's not aimed at Biden, but his administration. This I guess is in preparation for him not standing again so a scare story to do with somthing close to Americans hearts is chosen to batter the whole party. This is much like what happened in the UK towards the EU prior to the Brexit stuff.
Don't blame the hydra, cut the head!

Maybe bad PR wouldn't be happening to the EU or the US government if they could abstain from making fools of themselves ;)

Offline tom66

• Super Contributor
  • Electronics Hobbyist & FPGA/Embedded Systems EE
« Reply #10 on: April 02, 2023, 09:09:07 am »
I don't see any reason incandescent bulbs would be banned on vehicles: 60W per side of power consumption is nothing compared to the 60kW or so required to cruise on the highway for an ICE (after efficiency losses).  Far better to phase out ICE vehicles instead... which will eventually happen.  Not to make this an EV debate but it's already on the roadmap for most car makers and governments.

The following users thanked this post: newbrain

Offline mendip_discovery

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #11 on: April 02, 2023, 09:30:40 am »
I don't see any reason incandescent bulbs would be banned on vehicles: 60W per side of power consumption is nothing compared to the 60kW or so required to cruise on the highway for an ICE (after efficiency losses).  Far better to phase out ICE vehicles instead... which will eventually happen.  Not to make this an EV debate but it's already on the roadmap for most car makers and governments.

It would be a sneaky way to ban the old direct fossil fuel burning vehicles. Make one of the consumables almost impossible to buy and then let them gradually phase out. They can't ban the cars, that would be political suicide but they can wean us off them by just making it awkward to use them. It's not like the 2 most direct routes I have to the motorway are protected by clean air zones.
Motorcyclist, Nerd, and I work in a Calibration Lab :-)
--
So everyone is clear, Calibration = Taking Measurement against a known source, Verification = Checking Calibration against Specification, Adjustment = Adjusting the unit to be within specifications.

Offline AVGresponding

• Super Contributor
  • Exploring Rabbit Holes Since The 1970s
« Reply #12 on: April 02, 2023, 09:45:34 am »
It's trivially easy to fit LED or HID H-x replacement lamps anyway.
nuqDaq yuch Dapol?
Addiction count: Agilent-AVO-BlackStar-Brymen-Chauvin Arnoux-Fluke-GenRad-Hameg-HP-Keithley-IsoTech-Mastech-Megger-Metrix-Micronta-Racal-RFL-Siglent-Solartron-Tektronix-Thurlby-Time Electronics-TTi-UniT

Offline Jackster

• Frequent Contributor
    • PCBA.UK
« Reply #13 on: April 02, 2023, 10:01:28 am »
It's trivially easy to fit LED or HID H-x replacement lamps anyway.

You "have" to replace the whole fixture on most modern cars (pre-LED modern) if you upgrade to LED as the beam pattern is based on filament bulbs.
At least in the UK, you should fail MOT (yearly vehicle check to see if it is roadworthy) if you use LED bulbs in a filament-based fixture if the beam is modified outside of spec.

Offline BrianHG

• Super Contributor
« Reply #14 on: April 02, 2023, 11:06:58 am »
And yet, in some US states, it is still currently illegal to have 'Day Beam' headlights or run your headlights during the day because of the slight extra load on your alternator, wasting a few tea-spoons of gas over the year.

Offline kripton2035

• Super Contributor
    • kripton2035 schematics repository
« Reply #15 on: April 02, 2023, 11:22:33 am »
in europe, at least in france, we can't buy any halogen or incandescent light bulb for home since many years.
I don't remember when but it may be 10 years ago !
it's really consume less with led light
if you don't like the color of "white" leds, just buy rgb leds and choose the color you want...

edit: it was in september 2018...so 5 years.

Offline AndyBeez

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #16 on: April 02, 2023, 11:45:03 am »
Yanks: Prepare for America to be flooded with the same crap quality Chinese lightbulbs that have been afflicting Europe for the last decade. Fact, SMD LEDs last for around 50,000 hours. Inconvenient truth, put them in a lightbulb, overdrive the LED's to make them bright and, they last no more than 50 weeks. Which is about the same life span of a classic tungsten bulb. So you have to buy another one = re$ult. Anyone thinking about the mountain of extra e-waste? Teardown an LED light bulb and you'll understand just how ecologically sound these are, not.

I agree that each bulb uses less energy, but how many more light fixtures do we have in our homes when compared to 30 year's ago? If California and Texas really want to keep the lights on, then maybe they should consider buying less Teslas?

Offline tom66

• Super Contributor
  • Electronics Hobbyist & FPGA/Embedded Systems EE
« Reply #17 on: April 02, 2023, 12:12:48 pm »
Yanks: Prepare for America to be flooded with the same crap quality Chinese lightbulbs that have been afflicting Europe for the last decade. Fact, SMD LEDs last for around 50,000 hours. Inconvenient truth, put them in a lightbulb, overdrive the LED's to make them bright and, they last no more than 50 weeks. Which is about the same life span of a classic tungsten bulb. So you have to buy another one = re$ult. Anyone thinking about the mountain of extra e-waste? Teardown an LED light bulb and you'll understand just how ecologically sound these are, not.

Buy cheap, buy twice.  I've 8 year old LED bulbs bought from Costco that are still fine and used daily.  They were ~£5 each.  I now have Ikea Tradfri in a few locations as smart RGB lighting on a Zigbee network.  Reports are that these should easily do 5 years based on other feedback. 

Besides, even if a LED bulb only lasted a year, do you really think it is better to use incandescent?  2,000 hour lifespan consumes 120kWh in the case of incandescent, but only 12kWh in case of LED.  Do you think a LED bulb costs more than 108kWh to manufacture?  At current industrial prices, that would mean a bulb would cost more than £10 in electricity alone.  Some electricity is more polluting than other electricity, sure, but the energy consumption of manufacturing a LED bulb really can't be that high if they can land on the store shelf for under £3 a bulb.

The following users thanked this post: Vovk_Z

Offline kripton2035

• Super Contributor
    • kripton2035 schematics repository
« Reply #18 on: April 02, 2023, 12:58:28 pm »
I changed halogen bulbs quite often before. sorry to say, but I didn't change a lot of my (almost all chinese) leds since  I installed then years ago also
it was really before the halogen bulb were no more for sale here.
I still change some led light from time to time, but it is really less than incandescent or halogen.

Offline Stray Electron

• Super Contributor
« Reply #19 on: April 02, 2023, 01:05:58 pm »

And yet, in some US states, it is still currently illegal to have 'Day Beam' headlights or run your headlights during the day because of the slight extra load on your alternator, ....

really?  source?   I haven't heard this. although it wouldn't surprise me in some of the People's Republics.

Offline NiHaoMike

• Super Contributor
  • "Don't turn it on - Take it apart!"
    • Facebook Page
« Reply #20 on: April 02, 2023, 01:07:00 pm »
the only thing I am worried about is heat lamps, I love them in the bathroom. 300 watts and they get used a handful of times a year on cold winters.
There's a new generation of ceramic heat lamps to replace the old fragile glass ones. As they emit no visible light, they would not be considered a lighting device.
There is another factor too, I wonder how much E-waste will be generated when bulb inrush limiter circuits (dim bulb limiter) are unavailable for electronics trouble shooting. There has got to be mountains of SMPSU that were fixed thanks to these things  :o
Could use an induction motor, one that is not turning has a very low impedance. Add a brake to adjust how much current it takes before it starts to rotate.
Cryptocurrency has taught me to love math and at the same time be baffled by it.

Cryptocurrency lesson 0: Altcoins and Bitcoin are not the same thing.

Offline coppice

• Super Contributor
« Reply #21 on: April 02, 2023, 01:48:36 pm »

I agree that each bulb uses less energy, but how many more light fixtures do we have in our homes when compared to 30 year's ago? If California and Texas really want to keep the lights on, then maybe they should consider buying less Teslas?
Most of the LED bulbs I can buy in the UK aren't that reliable. However, in the ones I have checked, the LEDs themselves in dead ones are fine. Its the control electronics that has died.

We moved to our current house in 2017. There was a mish mash of bulbs in the house, so I replaced them all with LEDs in one go. In the 6 years since then I have had to replace about half of them, some of them infrequently used ones that haven't gathered that many operating hours. Use them in any kind of shrouded location, that restricts air flow, and all but the lowest power ones tend to cook. Most of them say "not for use in an enclosed luminaire" or something similar, just like most CFLs did. However, most people want to put bulbs in somewhere between a fairly shrouding light shade and a fully enclosed luminaire. These days if you want a fully enclosed luminaire, buy one with integrated LEDs. You'll have to replace the whole fitting if a LED fails, but the cooling of the spread out electronics is so much better they probably won't fail too often.

Offline coppice

• Super Contributor
« Reply #22 on: April 02, 2023, 01:52:50 pm »
The regulations would have to be really poorly worded if they exclude every kind of filament bulb from the market, and make even things like food warming infra red bulbs illegal. There should be something left that is readily obtainable which would work well as a current limiter.

Offline TimFox

• Super Contributor
  • Retired, now restoring antique test equipment
« Reply #23 on: April 02, 2023, 01:57:57 pm »
And yet, in some US states, it is still currently illegal to have 'Day Beam' headlights or run your headlights during the day because of the slight extra load on your alternator, wasting a few tea-spoons of gas over the year.

I have no idea where you found such a law.
Here is a law firm's summary of headlight laws in all 50 States:  https://www.sgplaw.com/blog/2020/april/when-must-you-use-your-headlights-when-are-they-/
Note that there are restrictions in many states for the use of high beams, but none about the use of normal headlight beams.

The following users thanked this post: jasonRF, trs

Offline Xena E

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #24 on: April 02, 2023, 01:59:07 pm »
Generally I'm ambivalent to the arguments here though I do use some LED for home lighting, I've no problem with the energy costs and for reading lamps I do use tungsten halogen types.

However, since being sent some lamps by a friend that use multiple under run LED filaments for greater efficiency and longer life, as yet none have failed so thumbs up! (Search Philips Dubai lamps).

At work, for less eye strain the whole company still uses TH lighting at work stations.

However:

Being told what I must use boils my piss.

I get it that the administrations in the UK, Europe, and the US, do need to conserve energy. The reasons are not made clear though, to them it's just a freaking popularity contest to gain the acceptance of self-righteous snowflakes who think they're saving the world by buying millions of tonnes of eco approved technowaste to pollute the environment even more than it already is.

The following users thanked this post: Karel, james_s, RJSV

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf