General > General Technical Chat

Biden invokes Defense Production Act for printed circuit board production

(1/6) > >>

Black Phoenix:
https://www.reuters.com/world/us/biden-invokes-defense-production-act-printed-circuit-board-production-2023-03-27/

--- Quote ---President Joe Biden on Monday invoked the Defense Production Act to spend $50 million on domestic and Canadian production of printed circuit boards, citing the technology's importance to national defense.

Printed circuit boards are incorporated into missiles and radars, as well as electronics used for energy and healthcare.
--- End quote ---

--- Quote ---The move would speed up contracts, said Franklin Turner, a government contracts lawyer at McCarter & English, "by streamlining and prioritizing the procurement processes for these critical technologies, which are used in a variety of defense theaters around the world, including the current conflict in Ukraine."

Industry groups had called for such a move by Washington last year, saying there was not enough domestic production needed to support the U.S. electronics manufacturing industry.
--- End quote ---

MarkS:
When the government offers to come and help... RUN!

I'm trying to figure out how the RESTRICT Act will affect those of us ordering PCB's from China. Technically, this could run afoul of the act, as written.

rstofer:
We certainly don't want defense related PCBs manufactured in China.  They have already stolen the chips, now all they need is the wiring.  In fact, we shouldn't have ANY military products constructed offshore.  Same for code...

Doesn't seem like much funding.  Last I heard there was a joint $50B wafer fab under consideration, $50M for PCBs is chump change.

MarkS:

--- Quote from: rstofer on March 29, 2023, 04:31:30 pm ---We certainly don't want defense related PCBs manufactured in China.  They have already stolen the chips, now all they need is the wiring.  In fact, we shouldn't have ANY military products constructed offshore.  Same for code...

--- End quote ---

I fully agree... Still...

floobydust:
I find these knee jerk reactions are the dying embers of the North American electronics industry. It's been aggressively taken by Asia - chips, components, engineering, pc boards etc. with subsidies, grants etc. by their governments.

china is dumping PC board fab, much to our delight. For many years now causing mass extinction of PCB houses.
A North American fab I used closed down saying they couldn't even buy the raw materials for the costs of a finished product offered by competitors overseas. But, that they charged ridiculous $300+ setup fees and minimum panel runs, common to NA fabs, good riddance to that old cash cow. We were getting ripped off and the industry didn't want to lower costs, so I think they brought their demise upon themselves to an extent.

Where is that laminate and prepreg made exactly? What's the point of having the boards made in America with Eastern materials?

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

There was an error while thanking
Thanking...
Go to full version