Author Topic: Cody's Lab Two Strikes  (Read 6721 times)

Offline Cyberdragon

• Super Contributor
Re: Cody's Lab Two Strikes
« Reply #25 on: November 07, 2017, 03:07:50 pm »
Probably because he put insects and spiders in a vacuum chamber and fruit flys in the microwave and the hipster kids were all like WWAAAAAHHH! PETA! WWWAAAAHHH! :palm:

Not really, I'm getting more views and interaction on Vid.me and Bitchute than Vimeo.
Speaking of non-PC, why did I look at that and immediately see "Bitch chute"...uuuummmmm....moving on...
*BZZZZZZAAAAAP*
Voltamort strikes again!
Explodingus - someone who frequently causes accidental explosions

Offline fubar.gr

• Supporter
    • Fubar.gr
« Reply #26 on: November 07, 2017, 04:06:17 pm »
I had two of my videos demonetized lately.

The first was a one year old video where I showed some dashcam accident footage and explained why the accident happened and how to avoid it if you find yourself in a similar situation.

The second video was on how to install a dashcam on a commercial truck. It had no dashcam footage, just me probing the fuse box to find a suitable power supply point and doing electrical connections. Apparently the word "dashcam" in the title flagged my video.

Ok, I can live with demonetization. But I fear something like the two strike rule could happen to my channel at any time for no apparent reason.

Offline Mr. Scram

• Super Contributor
  • Display aficionado
« Reply #27 on: November 07, 2017, 04:30:46 pm »
Probably because he put insects and spiders in a vacuum chamber and fruit flys in the microwave and the hipster kids were all like WWAAAAAHHH! PETA! WWWAAAAHHH! :palm:

Speaking of non-PC, why did I look at that and immediately see "Bitch chute"...uuuummmmm....moving on...
"Ute" is Australian slang for pickup truck, so I guess a "bitch ute" is actually a real thing.

Offline rrinker

• Super Contributor
« Reply #28 on: November 07, 2017, 06:26:34 pm »
Coincidentally, I just watched episode 7 of The Orville in which they were involved in a society that was entirely peer driven, everything accomplished via what the overall society 'liked' or 'disliked' from a global social media-like service that everyone watched. MacFarlane isn't just about in your face fart jokes.

Offline Cyberdragon

• Super Contributor
« Reply #29 on: November 07, 2017, 06:30:22 pm »
Thing is, while hunting for disturbing stuff to troll my crazy friends with on discord, I've found stuff on Youtube so disturbing I dare not even log in to report it, let alone wonder why they aren't banned! Yet I garuntee that if I go in incognito and look for that stuff it would still be there. But they flag science and eductional videos...:palm: I have half a mind to send an email to the Youtube CEO showing him the real shit he should be worrying about. >:D

Coincidentally, I just watched episode 7 of The Orville in which they were involved in a society that was entirely peer driven, everything accomplished via what the overall society 'liked' or 'disliked' from a global social media-like service that everyone watched. MacFarlane isn't just about in your face fart jokes.

Yep, that was definatetly a parady of internet culture.
*BZZZZZZAAAAAP*
Voltamort strikes again!

Offline tooki

• Super Contributor
« Reply #30 on: November 07, 2017, 07:13:27 pm »
Watch “Black Mirror”. The entire series is about subjects like that (including some episodes about that recisely that).

The following users thanked this post: mc172

Offline Red Squirrel

• Super Contributor
« Reply #31 on: November 08, 2017, 05:16:06 am »
YT is getting so ridiculous, there really needs to be an alternative but it would be such a hard thing to pull off.  Need a lot of bandwidth for that, then you need to compete with Youtube for views/searches.  No sense in content creators uploading there if nobody goes to it.  There also needs to be a monetization platform as lot of content creators do this as a livelihood.

But if this epidemic becomes big enough maybe it will eventually lead to a viable alternative.  YT has been going down the crapper for so long, not only because of this crap but their UI sucks more and more every time they change it.  It's so slow and clunky now especially on average/lower end hardware.

I think Vimeo is pretty much the only viable alternative these days (and is actually quite popular) and with the internet getting faster for consumers, re-uploading content is becoming less and less time consuming. I personally actually prefer Vimeo over Youtube and their plans are quite reasonably priced.

What I think will happen in the foreseeable future is that content creators will be looking to make most of their revenue not through ads, but through other more reliable streams such as Patreon etc...

Direct funding by subscribers and fans is far more secure than relying on ad revenue bound by (sometimes silly) terms and conditions.

I think once you can survive without Youtube funding, the alternatives are very viable and subscribers will follow.

Yeah I can see that becoming a new trend eventually where content creators may find other streams and not rely so much on Youtube.  It only takes a few major channels too. If major mainstream channels decided to jump ship, their viewers would follow, and YT would probably freak out at this and realize they need to do something.  That would be a risky move for youtubers to do though and they would probably take a hit at first.

Offline nes999

• Contributor
« Reply #32 on: November 08, 2017, 12:36:31 pm »
I see more content creators offering patreon only videos. I pay the dollar or two a month for my favorite channels.

I think they had to have changed the,filters recently. I have noticed more content creators talk about the unusual amount of issues they have had recently.

Sent from my VS988 using Tapatalk

Offline metrologist

• Super Contributor
« Reply #33 on: November 08, 2017, 03:49:01 pm »
Even as a consumer, youtube is becoming a chore to find decent content. For example, I watched the oscilloscope music guy, Jerobeam Fenderson, recent tutorials about making his 0-scope music, and now my recomended list if just filled with his and similar videos. That is fine, but I've already watched all of his videos and the recommended list will never drop recommending them so the exact same ones seem to persist. Then below that they recommend his channel, and further, they recommend playlists made by others with those same videos. It has become nauseating. I am already aware of them.

It is worse if you happen to watch a fail video. then you will be in regurgitated fail video hell. It used to be better many years ago and not so back when you could more easily view popular channels as opposed to content and channels that they select for you. I guess that's why some have made good channel lists here...

The following users thanked this post: tooki

Offline schmitt trigger

• Super Contributor
« Reply #34 on: November 08, 2017, 04:15:01 pm »
Metrologist;
I've noticed a similar situation, but for some reason felt that it was only happening to me.

My wife and I have different computers and we have different user names. We have, and thus watch, very distinct topics.
But we recently purchased a "smart TV" which has YouTube as one of its apps. We take turns in watching our respective topics of interest. I understand that in the TV I'll see both my wife's and my channels.

But lately I've noticed  that my wife's channels have started to percolate slowly on my computer.

Offline Mr. Scram

• Super Contributor
  • Display aficionado
« Reply #35 on: November 08, 2017, 07:35:51 pm »
Metrologist;
I've noticed a similar situation, but for some reason felt that it was only happening to me.

My wife and I have different computers and we have different user names. We have, and thus watch, very distinct topics.
But we recently purchased a "smart TV" which has YouTube as one of its apps. We take turns in watching our respective topics of interest. I understand that in the TV I'll see both my wife's and my channels.

But lately I've noticed  that my wife's channels have started to percolate slowly on my computer.
It's all coming from the same IP address, so it's trivial for Google/Alphabet to figure out you go together. Considering you're now mixed the same channels on the same device, the algorithm probably decided you want a mixed offering.

Offline G7PSK

• Super Contributor
  • It is hot until proved not.
« Reply #36 on: November 10, 2017, 04:55:54 pm »
I wonder what content caused the strikes. I have not seen a lot of his videos, but they do not seem like they would fall into any offensive content categories.
I think the last one according to Cody was the fruit flies in the microwave, that got a lot of thumbs down.

Offline rdl

• Super Contributor
« Reply #37 on: November 10, 2017, 05:34:24 pm »
What? The fruit flies in the microwave survived didn't they?

Heck, if you google "fruit flies" the first pages are full of links on how to kill them. Where I live, they're one of the most obnoxious insect pests of the summer.

Offline stj

• Super Contributor
« Reply #38 on: November 10, 2017, 05:36:06 pm »
yesterday they deleted "world of signs"
all that channel did was show daily video's of weather extremes around the world - something to hide utube??

btw, there are atleast a dozen video-hosts out there - a growing number of channels are starting to upload there older and current vids onto them as a fallback.

Offline Mr. Scram

• Super Contributor
  • Display aficionado
« Reply #39 on: November 10, 2017, 08:12:05 pm »

Heck, if you google "fruit flies" the first pages are full of links on how to kill them. Where I live, they're one of the most obnoxious insect pests of the summer.
As always, people misunderstand basic physics and don't understand that putting a fruitfly in a microwave isn't the same as putting in a mouse. You don't have to be wrong to bring the wrath of the internet upon you, people just have to think you are.

Offline Cyberdragon

• Super Contributor
« Reply #40 on: November 10, 2017, 08:59:21 pm »

As always, people misunderstand basic physics and don't understand that putting a fruitfly in a microwave isn't the same as putting in a mouse. You don't have to be wrong to bring the wrath of the internet upon you, people just have to think you are.

I guess those idiots haven't seen Rodalco2007 then...ZAP ZAP >:D
*BZZZZZZAAAAAP*
Voltamort strikes again!

Offline stj

• Super Contributor
« Reply #41 on: November 10, 2017, 09:25:02 pm »
putting fruitfly's into a mouse??

Offline EEVblogTopic starter

• Administrator
    • EEVblog
« Reply #42 on: November 10, 2017, 09:43:16 pm »
Little bit of a tangent, but I hadn't heard of video being disabled because of "deceptive metadata" before.

Offline grifftech

• Frequent Contributor
    • youtube channel
« Reply #43 on: November 10, 2017, 09:56:38 pm »
Little bit of a tangent, but I hadn't heard of video being disabled because of "deceptive metadata" before.

They are calling it clickbait

Offline Mr. Scram

• Super Contributor
  • Display aficionado
« Reply #44 on: November 10, 2017, 10:16:49 pm »

They are calling it clickbait
The irony is that if they'd actually censor clickbait, half of Youtube would be gone.

Online IanB

• Super Contributor
« Reply #45 on: November 10, 2017, 11:14:15 pm »
According to Cody's narration he tested the idea of a grasshopper with Patreon supporters but got negative feedback, so he used a grape instead. I am not clear whether he actually made a grasshopper video or just floated the idea.

Offline stj

• Super Contributor
« Reply #46 on: November 11, 2017, 12:29:33 am »
so is the AI going to start killing every video with "you wont believe......" or "NASA admits..." in the titles?
that wont leave much!!
 :-DD

Offline Macbeth

• Super Contributor
« Reply #47 on: November 11, 2017, 12:56:11 am »
It's a great video - the fruit flies totally survive microwaving - because wavelengths - and the bonus is how did he film inside the microwave?

Offline IdahoMan

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #48 on: November 20, 2017, 04:39:53 am »
Even though YouTube has by far the greatest mind share as a video platform, I think this stuff has to signal some kind of change. The current situation is quite ridiculous.

At this point it would seem to make sense to run parallel uploads on a second service just for this eventuality. Then if YouTube shuts a channel down people could switch over, and maybe they wouldn't need to come back.

YouTube is Google owned right? 

Wouldn't supprise me. YT has been pulling a lot of BS lately.. censoring videos for political reasons, now this. Absurd.

I agree, another YT-style sevice should srping up. All of the "big wigs" like censor (eBay, CL, YT).

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf