Author Topic: Bitcoins and other coins  (Read 25469 times)

Offline Bored@Work

• Super Contributor
Re: Bitcoins and other coins
« Reply #50 on: February 24, 2014, 04:14:08 am »
Yes and no. Where I live I can order food and pay with Bitcoins. In a ponzy scheme you end up with nothing.

Only those entering too late and not leaving in time end up with losses in a Ponzi scheme. The organizers of the scheme and, if the organizers need them, poster child winners can end up with a net gain.

The fact that some people gain something is not an indication of the absence of fraud.
I delete PMs unread. If you have something to say, say it in public.
For all else: Profile->[Modify Profile]Buddies/Ignore List->Edit Ignore List

Offline hamster_nz

• Super Contributor
« Reply #51 on: February 24, 2014, 05:20:54 am »
I don't think it is exactly a Ponzi scheme. The defining characteristic of a Ponzi scheme is that existing investors are paid from new capital brought in by new suckers investors.

Maybe you're right.

Bitcoin's basis of value is pretty much the same as money - the holder of either expects that sometime in the future they can convert it to goods or services they desire.

When this expectation is no longer reliable (i.e. when the currency collapses) they will have no more value than a 1,000,000,000,000 in old German Marks in late 1923 - (less that US$0.25).
Gaze not into the abyss, lest you become recognized as an abyss domain expert, and they expect you keep gazing into the damn thing.

Offline tszaboo

• Super Contributor
  • Current job: ATEX product design
« Reply #52 on: February 24, 2014, 07:26:07 am »
Last time i checked it, there was about 50 different types of it. Now it must be like hundreds of it. People still don't get, that it is just the new version of the Ponzy scheme with computers.

I don't think it is exactly a Ponzi scheme. The defining characteristic of a Ponzi scheme is that existing investors are paid from new capital brought in by new suckers investors.

Maybe you're right.

That is why I said new version. Whoever decided to make bitcoin first, could have made hundreds of thousands of it, before going public.It might be even hardcoded in the system. We will never know it.
Whoever started minig 2nd and 3rd, they could mine a lot more with less investment, compared to todays supercomputer.

Offline Kjelt

• Super Contributor
« Reply #53 on: February 24, 2014, 07:48:57 am »
Yeah but isn't the same true about "real" currency like $'s and €'s, they have no underlying value anymore and the government (and banks) can press a button and more $'s and €'s are out there. If you press that button too much the value in respect of another currency is rapidly decreasing.
The example of Brasil or Germany pre WW2 with the reichsmark are indeed good examples.
At least with bitcoins there is some form of underlying value namely the computerpower and indeed over the years their value could go up in smoke.

Offline justanothercanuck

• Frequent Contributor
  • Doing retro repairs...
« Reply #54 on: February 24, 2014, 08:17:37 am »
Can I pay my rent with it?  Nope?  Okay then.  :-//
Maintain your old electronics!  If you don't preserve it, it could be lost forever!

Offline AndyC_772

• Super Contributor
  • Professional design engineer
    • Cawte Engineering | Reliable Electronics
« Reply #55 on: February 24, 2014, 08:36:12 am »
I can't pay my rent in CA$. If only there were a way to convert between local currencies and other items that are perceived to have value...

• Frequent Contributor
  • Doing retro repairs...
« Reply #56 on: February 24, 2014, 09:28:41 am »
I can't pay my rent in CA$.

Well, of course not...  you're (supposedly) from the UK.  I wouldn't expect my landlord to accept GBP or EUR either.  That's kindof a dumb argument to make.
Maintain your old electronics!  If you don't preserve it, it could be lost forever!

Offline Kjelt

• Super Contributor
« Reply #57 on: February 24, 2014, 09:42:59 am »
Most landlords don't accept cash anyway, neither do a lot of stores anymore.

Offline nctnico

• Super Contributor
    • NCT Developments
« Reply #58 on: February 24, 2014, 09:45:39 am »
I can't pay my rent in CA$.

Well, of course not...  you're (supposedly) from the UK.  I wouldn't expect my landlord to accept GBP or EUR either.  That's kindof a dumb argument to make.
Never heard of a money exchange? There are several exchanges where you can buy and sell digital coins and convert them into currency your landlord will happily accept.
There are small lies, big lies and then there is what is on the screen of your oscilloscope.

• Frequent Contributor
  • Doing retro repairs...
« Reply #59 on: February 24, 2014, 10:04:40 am »
Never heard of a money exchange? There are several exchanges where you can buy and sell digital coins and convert them into currency your landlord will happily accept.

Problem is, *coins are not a legal tender, and those exchanges are disappearing over concerns of money laundering.

Offline saturation

• Super Contributor
  • Doveryai, no proveryai
    • NIST
Best Wishes,

Saturation

Offline Phaedrus

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #61 on: February 25, 2014, 06:41:46 pm »
Mt.Gox has allegedly been declining for the last 8 months or so. They were coasting on their size and reputation, while slowly going to shit. Most of the bitcoiners I know are glad that they collapsed, and agree that the price drop is short term and will likely recover inside a month.
"More quotes have been misattributed to Albert Einstein than to any other famous person."
- Albert Einstein

Offline saturation

• Super Contributor
  • Doveryai, no proveryai
    • NIST
Best Wishes,

Saturation

Offline FrankBuss

• Supporter
    • Frank Buss
« Reply #63 on: March 05, 2014, 02:14:12 pm »
I use https://www.bitcoin.de/en for trading bitcoins. It uses bank transfer, very common in Europe unlike in USA. Worked very well for me, for buying and selling. Of course, I never deposit bitcoins in my bitcoin.de account longer than I need it for a trade, most of the time my bitcoins are stored in a password protected and backuped offline wallet. So I don't care if any bitcoin marketplace gets hacked. Very unlikely that it gets hacked in the seconds while my bitcoins are in the online wallet.
So Long, and Thanks for All the Fish
Electronics, hiking, retro-computing, electronic music etc.: https://www.youtube.com/c/FrankBussProgrammer

Offline saturation

• Super Contributor
  • Doveryai, no proveryai
    • NIST
« Reply #64 on: March 05, 2014, 09:14:36 pm »
Publicly announced today but she died last week, 2 days after Mt Gox collapse:

http://www.cnbc.com/id/101468694

Incidental to this, 9 other mid to top level financiers have been found dead in the past 6 weeks, all assumed to be suicides. 

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2573863/Bitcoin-exchange-CEO-dead-home-suspected-suicide-age-28.html

Very strange events indeed.
Best Wishes,

Saturation

Offline saturation

• Super Contributor
  • Doveryai, no proveryai
    • NIST
« Reply #65 on: March 05, 2014, 09:32:26 pm »
Breaking news, 3rd Bitcoin exchange confirms they were hacked:

http://www.coindesk.com/poloniex-loses-12-3-bitcoins-latest-bitcoin-exchange-hack/

« Last Edit: March 06, 2014, 12:24:31 pm by saturation »
Best Wishes,

Saturation

Offline Frost

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #66 on: March 05, 2014, 09:43:56 pm »
Breaking news, 3rd Bitcoin exchanged confirms they were hacked:

LOL, that's great :-DD
"Due to its current bitcoin shortage, Poloniex indicated that all customer balances
would temporarily be reduced by 12.3% “out of absolute necessity”."
« Last Edit: March 05, 2014, 09:48:02 pm by Frost »

Offline M. András

• Super Contributor
« Reply #67 on: May 17, 2014, 07:03:47 pm »
hehe raising every fee up to cover their losses from the costumers money? god i love capitalism :D

Offline madires

• Super Contributor
  • A qualified hobbyist ;)
« Reply #68 on: May 17, 2014, 09:06:39 pm »
Some nice person added the signature of an old virus as comment to the blockchain. Several antivirus tools report the blockchain as malware and (try to) delete it  >:D

Offline ejeffrey

• Super Contributor
« Reply #69 on: May 17, 2014, 09:11:24 pm »
Most landlords don't accept cash anyway, neither do a lot of stores anymore.

Your landlord may say that, and they may not want to be paid in cash, but it turns out that they legally can't refuse.  That is what legal tender means.  Shops can refuse to sell to you if you insist on paying cash, but when there is a pre-existing obligation / debt, you cannot refuse legal tender.  This is an important consumer protection law: it means your landlord can't refuse to accept payment unless you pay in japanese 1 yen coins rolled in tubes of 143 coins, and then charge you penalties and interest because you didn't pay on time.  The specifics vary by juristiction (often small denominations are not legal tender for large debts), but most everywhere with a functioning government and banking system has some legal tender laws.

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf