Author Topic: Blatant copying of Fluke.  (Read 14917 times)

Offline LightagesTopic starter

• Supporter
  • Canadian po
Blatant copying of Fluke.
« on: May 20, 2015, 06:04:31 am »
Have a look at this:
http://www.dx.com/p/aimometer-ms8217-digital-2-64-lcd-ac-dc-multimeter-w-auto-range-frequency-capacitance-measure-386111#.VVwhmUbHpq0
Such a blatant copy of the 17B, and DX shamelessly selling it.

I bet Fluke is regretting getting something made in China now.

Offline Shock

• Super Contributor
Re: Blatant copying of Fluke.
« Reply #1 on: May 20, 2015, 06:15:22 am »
Suspiciously looks like a Mastech to me.
Soldering/Rework: Pace ADS200, Pace MBT350
Multimeters: Fluke 189, 87V, 117, 112   >>> WANTED STUFF <<<
Oszilloskopen: Lecroy 9314, Phillips PM3065, Tektronix 2215a, 314

Offline retiredcaps

• Super Contributor
« Reply #2 on: May 20, 2015, 06:55:40 am »
I wonder if there is some funny photoshopping done on the AIMOmeter?

From Amazon.com, it is listed at $29.99 USD + free shipping.

http://www.amazon.com/AIMOmeter-MS8217-Auto-Range-Temperature-Measurement/dp/B00WC1KM8K

As you can see in the Amazon photos (and attached here), the font of the lcd and the annunicators are identical.  Even the readout of 220.8V AC is identical.

From the Mastech website, the MS8217 is an obvious acknowledgement to the Fluke 17 model number.

http://www.p-mastech.com

While the rotary dial layout is the same, the fonts are different and lcd display is obviously different.  Other differences are the placement of the COM jack and the rubber holster.

If I had a Fluke 17B, I might consider getting this AIMOmeter to see and feel the differences between the two.  I wonder if Dave would do a comparison betwen the two since he has a 17B and did a teardown video?
« Last Edit: May 20, 2015, 07:01:53 am by retiredcaps »

Offline German_EE

• Super Contributor
« Reply #3 on: May 20, 2015, 07:43:10 am »
The fakes are not yellow so they might get away with it.
Should you find yourself in a chronically leaking boat, energy devoted to changing vessels is likely to be more productive than energy devoted to patching leaks.

Warren Buffett

Offline Wytnucls

• Super Contributor
« Reply #4 on: May 20, 2015, 08:13:08 am »
It's not yellow, the LCD screen layout is different, it has 250V fuses and different specs.
Aimo is a dark horse. Probably belongs to Mastech.
They also copied the Fluke patented TL175 twistguard probes, which is a more serious infringement.

Offline andersm

• Super Contributor
« Reply #5 on: May 20, 2015, 01:36:49 pm »
Would you buy a multimeter that reported temperatures of 220.8 VAC?

Offline linux-works

• Super Contributor
    • netstuff
« Reply #6 on: May 20, 2015, 02:01:33 pm »
"I'd like to return this meter."

"certainly, sir.  what's wrong with it?"

"well, the scales for all the ranges are calibrated in 'mini volts' and 'maxi volts' and I'm just not familiar with readings such as those."

lol

I did not notice the dial was 180deg rotated until you pointed it out.  the meter still reads, though!  lol

Offline calexanian

• Super Contributor
    • Alex-Tronix
« Reply #7 on: May 20, 2015, 04:38:34 pm »
Hmmmm... the link is not working.... strange.....
Charles Alexanian
Alex-Tronix Control Systems

Offline retiredcaps

• Super Contributor
« Reply #8 on: May 20, 2015, 05:14:12 pm »
I was wondering when someone would notice.  ;)

Offline Wytnucls

• Super Contributor
« Last Edit: May 20, 2015, 05:20:48 pm by Wytnucls »

Offline Hydrawerk

• Super Contributor
« Reply #10 on: May 20, 2015, 05:59:25 pm »
Oh, what is that.  :-DMM :palm:
Amazing machines. https://www.youtube.com/user/denha (It is not me...)

Offline John Coloccia

• Super Contributor
« Reply #11 on: May 20, 2015, 10:10:14 pm »
This calls for a tear down!

Offline Ice-Tea

• Super Contributor
    • Freelance Hardware Engineer
« Reply #12 on: May 21, 2015, 06:21:07 am »
Wait... what?  :wtf: The Chinese copy stuff??

Offline VK3DRB

• Super Contributor
« Reply #13 on: May 21, 2015, 11:47:20 am »
Hoo Flung Dung Enterprises Ltd. is simply saying "We don't have brain for innovate, so we copy western product." It would be refreshing to see one of these Shenzhen "copy watch" factories actually produce something innovative and of high quality. They just plagiarize good ideas from those much smarter than themselves, and usually do a crap job at it.

Buying these fakes is no different to downloading pirated movies or software. It is some prick ripping off the artist, inventor, innovator or engineer whose brains, money and labour created the product. Amazon should not be selling the rip-off meters.

Don't buy the fake. You will be wasting your money buying crap. Buy something like the Fluke 179 which is a seriously good multimeter. You cannot go wrong with a Fluke 179. Yes, it costs a lot of money, but the quality will be remembered long after the price is forgotten. In fact it should last you a lifetime. Don't buy a crappy "Fluke" 15B either. They look good but they don't even turn on an LED on the diode range.
« Last Edit: May 21, 2015, 01:56:44 pm by VK3DRB »

Offline Mechanical Menace

• Super Contributor
« Reply #14 on: May 21, 2015, 05:10:46 pm »
Buying these fakes is no different to downloading pirated movies or software. It is some prick ripping off the artist, inventor, innovator or engineer whose brains, money and labour created the product.

It's very different. It's more like buying the cheap rip off straight to DVD movie or crappy quickly pumped out game that comes out at around the same time as the big blockbuster with a simmilar title.

Now if they were selling them as Fluke's they'd be more simmilar, but it wouldn't be the buyer that was at fault.
Second sexiest ugly bloke on the forum.
"Don't believe every quote you read on the internet, because I totally didn't say that."
~Albert Einstein

Offline SArepairman

• Frequent Contributor
  • wannabee bit hunter
« Reply #15 on: May 21, 2015, 05:16:30 pm »

Offline Asmyldof

• Regular Contributor
  • Freelancer - Persnicketist - Do'er of stuff
    • Asmyldof's Home. It's old, not quite impressive, but it's there.
« Reply #16 on: May 21, 2015, 05:32:13 pm »
(...) the only thing I can do is to pray to god that they can get educated ethnically.

Kind of hoping you mean ethically there.

;D
If it's a puzzle, I want to solve it.
If it's a problem, I need to solve it.
If it's an equation... mjeh, I've got Matlab
(not really though, Matlab annoys me).

Offline Asmyldof

• Regular Contributor
  • Freelancer - Persnicketist - Do'er of stuff
    • Asmyldof's Home. It's old, not quite impressive, but it's there.
« Reply #17 on: May 21, 2015, 05:41:32 pm »
Always a good thing to confirm you're not in fact for education on an ethnic basis. I believe whole continents have tried those systems and eventually found them somewhat discriminatory. Sad to say some of my forefathers may have had a hand in it.

Aaaanyway, end of meta-discussion, please continue the regularly scheduled discussion now.
If it's a puzzle, I want to solve it.
If it's a problem, I need to solve it.
If it's an equation... mjeh, I've got Matlab
(not really though, Matlab annoys me).

Offline VK3DRB

• Super Contributor
« Reply #18 on: May 22, 2015, 11:18:10 am »
Buying these fakes is no different to downloading pirated movies or software. It is some prick ripping off the artist, inventor, innovator or engineer whose brains, money and labour created the product.

It's very different. It's more like buying the cheap rip off straight to DVD movie or crappy quickly pumped out game that comes out at around the same time as the big blockbuster with a simmilar title.

Now if they were selling them as Fluke's they'd be more similar, but it wouldn't be the buyer that was at fault.

You can NOT "rule" some engineers not to use pirate software tools or counterfeit hardware tools. It is just the "taking advantage" minds that do not want to pay any extra cent to anyone.

When I was in China, I was considered strange even by some of my friends, because I PAY FOR MY OPERATING SYSTEM, while they download and crack.

Even my mom won't understand why I pay for software where there are crack versions, and the only thing I can do is to pray to god that they can get educated ethically.

Piracy is actually theft in almost all cases. However Gates and Bullmer should never have sold certain Windows versions which were basically massive bug fixes to their previous "where do you want to go to today" bloatware, or at least if they were good corporate citizens they should have provided refunds for shoddy goods. eg: Windows ME, NT and Vista. If someone was sucked into buying Vista and pirated Windows 7, that would fair trading in my opinion, and not piracy.

Furthermore, Microsoft is in the same league as Apple and Google for dodging paying their fair share of tax. In fact they are masters of being bad corporate citizens with their massive tax evasion. Make no mistake, the prime reason they exist is to line the pockets of the shareholder. So is stealing from crooks a crime? Maybe. But maybe it is just getting even.

These dodgy companies are in stark contrast to Fluke (Daniher) and a plethora of other genuine technology companies who don't go to extraordinary lengths to rip off the countries in which they do business.
« Last Edit: May 22, 2015, 11:21:05 am by VK3DRB »

Offline Mechanical Menace

• Super Contributor
« Reply #19 on: May 22, 2015, 12:03:49 pm »
Piracy is actually theft in almost all cases.

I almost agree wholeheartedly, even though I'm an unapologetic try-before-you-buy pirate when there aren't other options.

These dodgy companies are in stark contrast to Fluke (Daniher) and a plethora of other genuine technology companies

But copying them, as illegal as it may sometimes be for whoever produces and distributes the copies, isn't piracy. And I've a feeling these will be more along the lines of trade mark infringements than patent ones.

who don't go to extraordinary lengths to rip off the countries in which they do business.

I'm sorry but if those countries laws allow it they have an obligation to their shareholders to do it. Following the local and international laws is hardly extraordinary lengths.

Now the politicians who worked in those loopholes, they more than likely did some dodgy dealings to do it.
« Last Edit: May 22, 2015, 12:05:35 pm by Mechanical Menace »
Second sexiest ugly bloke on the forum.
"Don't believe every quote you read on the internet, because I totally didn't say that."
~Albert Einstein

Offline Muttley Snickers

• Supporter
  • Cursed: 679 times
« Reply #20 on: May 23, 2015, 04:14:20 am »
A hypothetical scenario that should also be taken into consideration, although highly unlikely.

I think it's bloody shameful that Fluke would blatantly copy the Mastech in that manner, particularly on their own turf. Desperate times generally call for desperate measurement. Could happen I suppose, we have little evidence to say otherwise.

Completely Anonymous Poster...... :palm:
« Last Edit: February 13, 2016, 02:29:26 am by Muttley Snickers »

Offline pickle9000

• Super Contributor
« Reply #21 on: May 23, 2015, 04:56:28 am »
A hypothetical scenario that should also be taken into consideration, although highly unlikely.

I think it's bloody shameful that Fluke would blatantly copy the Mastech in that manner,
particularly on their own turf. Desperate times generally call for desperate measurement.

Could happen I suppose, we have little evidence to say otherwise.

Completely Anonymous Poster...... :palm:

Very funny.

If you see two guys show up wearing yellow suits, black tie and black sunglasses run like hell!

Offline retiredcaps

• Super Contributor
« Reply #22 on: May 30, 2015, 05:58:32 pm »

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf