Author Topic: Bloody hell  (Read 7982 times)

Offline LenTopic starter

• Frequent Contributor
Bloody hell
« on: October 27, 2016, 10:12:03 pm »
I'm getting ready to leave work, and suddenly everything outside is covered with snow.
DIY Eurorack Synth: https://lenp.net/synth/

Offline elgonzo

• Supporter
Re: Bloody hell
« Reply #1 on: October 27, 2016, 10:20:17 pm »

Offline TheSteve

• Supporter
  • Living the Dream
« Reply #2 on: October 27, 2016, 10:20:47 pm »
HAH! Time to move west...
VE7FM

Offline Ampera

• Super Contributor
    • Ampera's Forums
« Reply #3 on: October 27, 2016, 10:44:04 pm »
HAH! Time to move west...

Damn, you must be near where I am (Albany, NY) because it's been snowing like the styrofoam factory blew up.
I forget who I am sometimes, but then I remember that it's probably not worth remembering.
EEVBlog IRC Admin - Join us on irc.austnet.org #eevblog

Offline rrinker

• Super Contributor
« Reply #4 on: October 27, 2016, 11:24:34 pm »
 Don't let Darryl Strawberry hear you say snow...

Offline Red Squirrel

• Super Contributor
« Reply #5 on: October 27, 2016, 11:58:59 pm »
It's funny how climate change works.  When I was a kid we'd always have snow on the ground by this time of year.  Now I keep hearing of everywhere else getting snow but not us.   In past few years it was December by the time we actually got our first permanent snow fall.

Downside is that it then drags on, sometimes right through April and even part of May. 

Offline elgonzo

• Supporter
« Reply #6 on: November 14, 2016, 02:20:31 pm »
It's funny how climate change works.  When I was a kid we'd always have snow on the ground by this time of year.  Now I keep hearing of everywhere else getting snow but not us.   In past few years it was December by the time we actually got our first permanent snow fall.

Downside is that it then drags on, sometimes right through April and even part of May.
Yeah, it is a common misconception that global warming means it is getting hotter everywhere. Global warming can lead to a change of thermohaline circulation. A major decrease or collapse of the gulf stream would for example lead to colder temperatures in Florida and parts of Europe. Just because people in these regions would then see increased snow falls and colder winters wouldn't mean that global warming is not taking place...

Offline TiN

• Super Contributor
    • xDevs.com
« Reply #7 on: November 14, 2016, 02:31:01 pm »
Snow?

Just a t-shirt and shorts, ride road bicycle today to lab and back home, nice warm weather outside.  :P
YouTube | Metrology IRC Chat room | Let's share T&M documentation? Upload! No upload limits for firmwares, photos, files.

Offline calexanian

• Super Contributor
    • Alex-Tronix
« Reply #8 on: November 14, 2016, 07:06:55 pm »
Send it our way! Its total Indian summer here in California. I actually took the weekend to start re landscaping my yard!
Charles Alexanian
Alex-Tronix Control Systems

Offline imidis

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #9 on: November 14, 2016, 07:30:11 pm »
No snow in the west, not even freezing, crazy for November.
Gone for good

Offline RGB255_0_0

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #10 on: November 14, 2016, 07:36:34 pm »
Pineapple Express.
Your toaster just set fire to an African child over TCP.

Offline firehopper

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #11 on: November 15, 2016, 01:27:21 am »
no snow here yet in eastern PA. although weather.com is talking storm next week possibly

Offline Back2Volts

• Supporter
« Reply #12 on: November 15, 2016, 04:00:43 am »
Not a single night freeze yet in central Minnesota.   Running one month late at least.   I have not seen any frost yet.   It seems that we may finally get a freeze wave on the later part of this week, may be down to 19 F. 

Very unusual weather

Offline DG41WV

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #13 on: November 15, 2016, 12:51:13 pm »
I've never even seen snow irl :(

Offline RGB255_0_0

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #14 on: November 15, 2016, 12:53:59 pm »
Unless you're going on holiday you don't want to either. Don't get me wrong, when snow is fresh it's OK. It's when it melts and refreezes it's horrible.
Your toaster just set fire to an African child over TCP.

Offline ZeTeX

• Frequent Contributor
  • !
  • When in doubt, add more flux.
« Reply #15 on: November 15, 2016, 04:33:18 pm »
I only really touched and played with snow when I was like 8 or something, its extremely rare in my country to have snow, my dad drove me to other city for 1 hour where there was snow there.
its amazing.

Offline Ampera

• Super Contributor
    • Ampera's Forums
« Reply #16 on: November 15, 2016, 04:58:37 pm »
I only really touched and played with snow when I was like 8 or something, its extremely rare in my country to have snow, my dad drove me to other city for 1 hour where there was snow there.
its amazing.

It's fun and cool if you never see it, or haven't for a while.

But then it gets REALLY annoying REALLY fast. I live in NY, where we can get -10F in winter, and 100F in the summer.
I forget who I am sometimes, but then I remember that it's probably not worth remembering.

Online GreyWoolfe

• Supporter
  • NW0LF
« Reply #17 on: November 16, 2016, 12:47:20 am »
I'm just excited to have temperatures in v the 50's at ni ghetto t
"Heaven has been described as the place that once you get there all the dogs you ever loved run up to greet you."

Offline CatalinaWOW

• Super Contributor
« Reply #18 on: November 16, 2016, 06:20:09 am »
Snow is somewhere between OK and great when you are a child and don't have to deal with all of the effects.  It rapidly loses its appeal thereafter.

There are several really dastardly forms of snow, that those who have lived in real snow country know and fear.

The early fall snow.  Wet and heavy when the leaves are still on the trees.  Sure to bring down many trees and powerlines.

The super dump.  May be wet or dry snow, but a meter or more falls, and either because of the snow total or the wind blown snow no first floor doors or windows are clear.  Getting out requires careful excavation of a window or something (figuring out where to put the snow inside), just to get to where you can start dumping the shoveled snow outdoors.  The wet and dry forms of snow each create their own sub-hells within this genre.

The late spring snow, much like the early fall snow, but with the added bonus of a layer of mud under the snow.

I am sure others can chip in.

Offline rrinker

• Super Contributor
« Reply #19 on: November 16, 2016, 01:15:18 pm »
no snow here yet in eastern PA. although weather.com is talking storm next week possibly

That may change after this weekend, according to at least one weather site. But even they admit the other models wildly disagree with their assessment. Considering they show the temps AFTER the cold front to still be in the 40's around our area, I really don't see much chance of any significant accumulation. Those poor bastards up in the northwest part of the state off Lake Erie though...

Offline Artlav

• Frequent Contributor
    • Orbital Designs
« Reply #20 on: November 16, 2016, 02:28:10 pm »
Snow on it's own doesn't phase people here.
First snow causes some trouble, as everyone rushes to change their tires.
Ice on the roads don't usually cause much problems, since people tend to know how to deal with it.

However, when the first snow falls, then melts, then the temperatures drop to -8*C to solidify it, then due to a once-in-a-decade atmospheric conditions it starts raining...
The rain freezes on impact, covering everything in a crust of fine virgin ice that is about as slippery as a lubricant.
And, this happens on friday evening.

900 accidents overnight, people who left for home around 18:00 got home on Saturday morning.

Days later, the trees are still coated with ice, glittering in the lamplight.
The roads got plowed, the cars got chiseled out of their ice shells, but the ice-encapsulated trees would have to wait for the spring.

Welcome to Moscow.

Offline Ampera

• Super Contributor
    • Ampera's Forums
« Reply #21 on: November 16, 2016, 03:05:39 pm »
Snow on it's own doesn't phase people here.
First snow causes some trouble, as everyone rushes to change their tires.
Ice on the roads don't usually cause much problems, since people tend to know how to deal with it.

However, when the first snow falls, then melts, then the temperatures drop to -8*C to solidify it, then due to a once-in-a-decade atmospheric conditions it starts raining...
The rain freezes on impact, covering everything in a crust of fine virgin ice that is about as slippery as a lubricant.
And, this happens on friday evening.

900 accidents overnight, people who left for home around 18:00 got home on Saturday morning.

Days later, the trees are still coated with ice, glittering in the lamplight.
The roads got plowed, the cars got chiseled out of their ice shells, but the ice-encapsulated trees would have to wait for the spring.

Welcome to Moscow.

That's interesting.

Offline Red Squirrel

• Super Contributor
« Reply #22 on: November 17, 2016, 12:55:22 am »
Still no snow here, it does not even feel like winter, still above freezing in the day.  Can't complain though.  Changed my tires the other day and was not even cold while doing it.  Only reason I know it's winter is because it's so dark out most of the time.   Can go days without seeing sun light if working. Get up when it's dark get home when it's dark.

Kinda looking forward to the snow so it feels more like Christmas time though.  We don't get as much snow as we used to and it tends to come late.  Seem to come closer to a green Christmas every year.

Pic from a few years ago when we had a decent amount of snow:

Yes those are totally C9 bulbs, I don't mess around.  :-DD     

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf