Author Topic: G'day mate: 1.7-billion-year-old chunk of North America found in Australia  (Read 4824 times)

Online xrunner

• Super Contributor
  • hp>Agilent>Keysight>???
Re: G'day mate: 1.7-billion-year-old chunk of North America found in Australia
« Reply #25 on: January 26, 2018, 11:27:32 pm »

Indian education minister dismisses "theory" of evolution

Scientists condemn Satyapal Singh for saying Darwin’s theory is ‘scientifically wrong’
https://www.theguardian.com/world/2018/jan/23/indian-education-minister-dismisses-theory-of-evolution-satyapal-singh

Satyapal Singh says:

“Since man is seen on Earth, he has always been a man. Nobody, including our ancestors, in written or oral, said they ever saw an ape turning into a human being.”

Bible says:

Genesis 2:7 teaches, “The Lord God formed a man from the dust of the earth and breathed into his nostrils the breath of life, and the man became a living being.”

As far as I know, nobody ever saw dirt turn into a man either.   :popcorn:
I told my friends I could teach them to be funny, but they all just laughed at me.

Offline Electro Detective

• Super Contributor
« Reply #26 on: January 26, 2018, 11:56:30 pm »
"After studying ancient sandstone rocks, scientists recently concluded that modern-day Australia was once attached to North America, but broke away 1.7 billion years ago. "

"Rocks recently discovered in Australia bear striking similarities to those found in North America, a study finds. The sandstone sedimentary rocks the scientists uncovered are not "native" to present-day Australia, but instead are common in eastern Canada."

The keep the paychecks coming scientists -concluded- based on striking similarities, and put the date at 1.7 billion years?  ???

What is there 'date baseline' reference?   

What are they smoking?

Where can one apply for a job like that?   8)

Offline cdev

• Super Contributor
  • !
« Reply #27 on: January 27, 2018, 12:40:20 am »
See image. The continents of Earth used to all be part of one huge supercontinent which we now call Pangaea.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pangaea

But they had a falling out so to speak and drifted apart.
[img=https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pangaea#/media/File:Pangea_animation_03.gif]http://[/img]

[img=https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/5/5c/Pangaea_to_present.gif][/img]

"What the large print giveth, the small print taketh away."

Offline VinzC

• Regular Contributor
  • See you later, oscillator.
« Reply #28 on: January 27, 2018, 10:16:04 am »
World © 2018 by United States of America™. Reinventing history. Starts with Australia®. Patent pending.
« Last Edit: January 27, 2018, 10:19:14 am by VinzC »

The following users thanked this post: Electro Detective

Online Zero999

• Super Contributor
« Reply #29 on: January 27, 2018, 05:26:33 pm »

Indian education minister dismisses "theory" of evolution

Scientists condemn Satyapal Singh for saying Darwin’s theory is ‘scientifically wrong’
https://www.theguardian.com/world/2018/jan/23/indian-education-minister-dismisses-theory-of-evolution-satyapal-singh

Satyapal Singh says:

“Since man is seen on Earth, he has always been a man. Nobody, including our ancestors, in written or oral, said they ever saw an ape turning into a human being.”

Bible says:

Genesis 2:7 teaches, “The Lord God formed a man from the dust of the earth and breathed into his nostrils the breath of life, and the man became a living being.”

As far as I know, nobody ever saw dirt turn into a man either.   :popcorn:
I wish people would keep religion off this forum. It causes trouble and I'm pretty sure it's against the rules. If Dave doesn't permit discussing politics here, I'm pretty sure he doesn't permit religion either but I suppose we'll have to wait for him to comment.

Anyway, back on topic: I find the headline sensationalist. The tectonic plates have been shifting for millions of years, so it's hardly surprising.

The following users thanked this post: Dataforensics

Online xrunner

• Super Contributor
  • hp>Agilent>Keysight>???
« Reply #30 on: January 27, 2018, 05:40:37 pm »
I wish people would keep religion off this forum. It causes trouble and I'm pretty sure it's against the rules. If Dave doesn't permit discussing politics here, I'm pretty sure he doesn't permit religion either but I suppose we'll have to wait for him to comment.

I wish they would too, and I never start the arguments. But if somebody posts unsubstantiated claims it's the duty of critical thinkers to rebut them.

If they aren't supposed to be here, then why don't the moderators delete the initial instigation? Besides, I saw Dave's account reading this thread and nothing was done about it ...
I told my friends I could teach them to be funny, but they all just laughed at me.

Offline Neomys Sapiens

• Super Contributor
« Reply #31 on: January 27, 2018, 09:05:53 pm »
Actually I could make a new VM, set the clock to 1995, install Windows 95, set the clock to the present day and reboot. It would then seem to anyone using the VM that it has been created in 1995 and was over 20 years old. When in fact it was a few hours old. It would be hard to tell otherwise from within the VM, even the system files would have the right creation dates.

Maybe. But please don't blame Microsoft if you set your RTC waaayyy back and a big, ugly reptile looks into your window (or out of it).

Offline cdev

• Super Contributor
  • !
« Reply #32 on: January 28, 2018, 12:04:22 am »
Fun bumper sticker seen in a research setting some years ago:

"Stop Plate Tectonics!"
"What the large print giveth, the small print taketh away."

Offline TerraHertz

• Super Contributor
  • Why shouldn't we question everything?
    • It's not really a Blog
« Reply #33 on: January 28, 2018, 01:37:51 am »
Anyway, back on topic: I find the headline sensationalist. The tectonic plates have been shifting for millions billions of years, so it's hardly surprising.
FTFY. Little details are important. Chunks of crust have been floating around on the magma currents since the first thin skins solidified on the molten surface of the proto-Earth.

The '6000 year old Earth' line is useful for one thing - spotting people whose understanding of the nature of the Universe is about as reality-based as a My Little Pony episode. Cognitive distortions that could only arise through complete ignorance or rejection of multiple whole fields of science - geology, physics, archaeology, chemistry, astrophysics, oceanography, etc.

What do these people think when they see things like the maps of ocean crustal expansion fault lines, and subduction zones? Maps of the alternating ancient magnetic field orientations frozen into the basalt solidified along the expansion lines, recording hundreds of millions of years of Earth's history just like a magnetic tape recorder? Isotopic aging down though billions of years of sedimentary strata? Carbon-14 dating of fossils? Age estimates of the Moon based purely on impact crater accumulation? An endless list... Do they think all this is just made up? Or the pathetic "God put this stuff there to fool us"?

As usual with all the bizarre belief systems, I tend to think a few of the people involved have to be lying, for whatever reasons, while others are just gullible. Same as with Scientology - a core of originators who fabricate the scriptures, and the rest just sucked into the cult.  Through not having the mental tools to spot falsehoods and resist social programming from those with whom they associate, and from the information channels they frequent. And zero habit of digging for information in alternate sources, for cross-checking.

Hmm... now where do we see other examples of that today?

"The greatest obstacle to discovery is not ignorance - it is the ILLUSION of knowledge."
-- Daniel Boorstin

"There is a principle, which is a bar against all information, which is proof against all arguments and which cannot fail to keep a man in everlasting ignorance - that principle is contempt prior to investigation."
-- Herbert Spencer, 1820-1903

"The moment you declare a set of ideas to be immune from criticism, satire, derision, or contempt, freedom of thought becomes impossible."
-- Salman Rushdie

"We'll know our disinformation program is complete when everything the American public believes is false."
-- William Casey, Director of Central Intelligence. An observation by the late Director at his first staff meeting in 1981.

Collecting old scopes, logic analyzers, and unfinished projects. http://everist.org

Offline hermit

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #34 on: January 28, 2018, 06:39:47 am »
Cognitive distortions that could only arise through complete ignorance or rejection of multiple whole fields of science - geology, physics, archaeology, chemistry, astrophysics, oceanography, etc.
It's pretty much 'pick and choose'.  They use electronic devices to post to a 'cloud' disputing basic science?  :-//

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf