Author Topic: A bunch of engineers and a shoe storage problem.  (Read 3206 times)

Offline KibiTopic starter

• Supporter
A bunch of engineers and a shoe storage problem.
« on: July 04, 2011, 05:20:10 pm »
I am currently working on a construction site. There are many engineers working in the site office ranging from Radio / TV studio outfitters to wiremen, IT folk, AV engineers and broadcast engineers. Being a building site all personnel including visitors are required to wear Health and Safety attire including safety boots. The storage of the various different sizes of visitors shoes was becoming and issue. When the site office gets moved to a different part of the building, as it frequently does, transporting the shoes and keeping them as pairs was also a problem.
The shoe storage solution needed to be large and preferably mobile.
The engineers put their heads together and after a few minutes decided that this would be the best solution.

A spare 42U rack, a few 1U shelves and a handful of cage nuts, job done. It's called - wait for it - the "Shoe Rack"
Since we were never allowed to attach anything to the walls, it also doubles as a notice board.

Offline Chet T16

• Frequent Contributor
    • Retro-Renault
Re: A bunch of engineers and a shoe storage problem.
« Reply #1 on: July 04, 2011, 08:03:44 pm »
I was sure this was going to be a joke!
Chet
Paid Electron Wrestler

Offline ipman

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #2 on: July 05, 2011, 04:49:52 am »
It might not be a joke.

I work in the telecom business and there are racks everywhere. They are used as storage frequently.
Wife hates words like Fluke, Ersa ...

Offline timbert

« Reply #3 on: July 05, 2011, 05:55:19 pm »
I just wonder what the cost of something this is like. Plus if you had a group of engineers working on this, think of the development costs.

I would have asked the administrative assistants; because most of them probably have a lot more pairs of shoes in their closets at home than would fit in this thing.   ;)

Offline ipman

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #4 on: July 05, 2011, 06:45:32 pm »
If that rack is there, it's quite probably that it was not purchased on purpose. Otherwise, you are right, the cost is outrageous.

Anyway, administrative assistans should be more advanced!
Wife hates words like Fluke, Ersa ...

Offline KibiTopic starter

• Supporter
« Reply #5 on: July 05, 2011, 08:48:01 pm »
If that rack is there, it's quite probably that it was not purchased on purpose. Otherwise, you are right, the cost is outrageous.

Anyway, administrative assistans should be more advanced!

Sure, the rack was taken out of stock for this purpose. It has got a use in the real world, but by that time the project will be coming to an end and less people will be working on site, thus less shoes needed.
So, the shoe rack is also environmentally friendly as 100% of it will be re-used without even having to be re-cycled. :)

Offline ivan747

• Super Contributor
« Reply #6 on: July 06, 2011, 08:03:08 pm »
Brilliant!

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf