Author Topic: Books you have read about electronics history and its legendary individuals  (Read 2348 times)

Offline schmitt triggerTopic starter

• Super Contributor
Being Electronic professionals or enthusiasts here, I assume that you may have your favorite electronics history books.

What do I mean by that?

A book which covers a historical period where a major electronics innovation occurred.

In my opinion, a good book on the subject should have sufficient technical detail about the innovation, embroidered with the right amount of personal and organizational background, all mixed with good, old fashioned story telling.

That is a tall order, and I've read many such books, but it is difficult to strike a balance. For instance, some books have great storytelling, but are riddled with technical inaccuracies.

Thus for me, two books are my favorites in this respect:

1- Crystal Fire: The Invention of the Transistor and the Birth of the Information Age (Sloan Technology Series) This focuses mainly on the invention of the transistor, and the three geniuses behind it. It also touches further semiconductor advances. Not a perfect book, but definitively whets your appetite to continue reading other books like "The Chip".

2- Empire of the Air: The Men Who Made Radio. This is a superb book, discussing the tremendous strides in wireless communications, during the first three decades of the XX Century. It clearly meshes the lives of three radically different men: Edwin Armstrong, engineering genius. Lee DeForest, innovative tinkerer and tireless self-promoter. And David Sarnoff, ruthless entrepreneur and visionary businessman.

So this are my favorites....which ones are yours?

Offline TerraHertz

• Super Contributor
  • Why shouldn't we question everything?
    • It's not really a Blog
Funny you should mention Sarnoff. Since the first book that came to my mind is:
  The Last Lone Inventor  (Philo T Farnsworth vs. David Sarnoff in...)
  A tale of genius, deceit & the birth of television
  By: Evan I Schwartz

It's a great read. However also something of a whitewash of the extremely underhanded tactics of Farnsworth's opponents: RCA's Zworykin and Sarnoff. Hmm, a book written by a tribalist, casting cheating, thieving, lying tribalists in a positive light, what a surprise. There's also incredibly minimal mention of Farnsworth's greatest achievement, the working nuclear Fusor device. Almost as if the book was a kind of limited hangout effort designed to belittle Farnsworth and his second invention. But I still recommend it.

Another good read:
 Uncle Tungsten, by Oliver Sacks.
Collecting old scopes, logic analyzers, and unfinished projects. http://everist.org

Offline Alex Eisenhut

• Super Contributor
  • Place text here.
Well, this is part of a book.

www-smirc.stanford.edu/papers/chapter1.pdf

It's great to read.
Hoarder of 8-bit Commodore relics and 1960s Tektronix 500-series stuff. Unconventional interior decorator.

Offline rdl

• Super Contributor
I didn't realize Empire of the Air was originally a book, I only knew of the Ken Burns documentary.

Offline Quarlo Klobrigney

• Frequent Contributor
  • This Space For Rent
Sarnoff! >:D
Voltage does not flow, nor does voltage go.

Offline Cubdriver

• Supporter
  • Nixie addict
    • Photos of electronic gear
Here are a few:

Tube: The Invention of Television (Fisher)

The Invention That Changed the World: How a Small Group of Radar Pioneers Won the Second World War and Launched a Technical Revolution (Robert Buderi)

The Chip : How Two Americans Invented the Microchip and Launched a Revolution (T. R. Reid)

Broken Genius : The Rise And Fall of William Shockley (Joel N. Shurkin)

History of Semiconductor Engineering (Bo Lojek)

-Pat
If it jams, force it.  If it breaks, you needed a new one anyway...

Offline bd139

• Super Contributor

Offline rsjsouza

• Super Contributor
  • Eternally curious
    • Vbe - vídeo blog eletrônico
Not necessarily describing a breakthrough but all related to the history of electronics/computing and quite interesting to read:
- Siliconnections: coming to age in the silicon era (Forrest M. Mims, III)
- On the edge: the spectacular rise and fall of Commodore (Brian Bagnall)
- The soul of a new machine (Trace Kidder)

The Chip : How Two Americans Invented the Microchip and Launched a Revolution (T. R. Reid)
I liked this one very much.
Vbe - vídeo blog eletrônico http://videos.vbeletronico.com

Oh, the "whys" of the datasheets... The information is there not to be an axiomatic truth, but instead each speck of data must be slowly inhaled while carefully performing a deep search inside oneself to find the true metaphysical sense...

Offline Assafl

• Frequent Contributor
Oliver Heaviside: The Life, Work, and Times of an Electrical Genius of the Victorian Age 
by Paul Nahin

Edit: Hint - Obviously this book is only for AC buffs. If you like your signals slow (very slow!) and steady (very steady!) then Oliver Heaviside would be your bane....
« Last Edit: August 27, 2017, 12:14:17 pm by Assafl »

Offline Alex Eisenhut

• Super Contributor
  • Place text here.
Hoarder of 8-bit Commodore relics and 1960s Tektronix 500-series stuff. Unconventional interior decorator.

Offline schmitt triggerTopic starter

• Super Contributor
the extremely underhanded tactics of Farnsworth's opponents: RCA's Zworykin and Sarnoff.

As others have already mentioned, Sarnoff was a visionary businessman, that was also the devil incarnate when it came to crush his competitors.

What he did to Armstrong, which eventually led Armstrong to commit suicide, is a prime example of ruthless scheming.

With respect to Zworkin, I read somewhere that he disguised himself as an apprentice, and went to seek work at Farnsworth's lab. After stealing all the secrets, he just quit, only to re-appear at RCA labs.

Online tggzzz

• Super Contributor
  • Numbers, not adjectives
    • Having fun doing more, with less
"Most Secret War" (a.k.a. The Wizard War) by RV Jones.

It is about British scientific intelligence in WW2, so mentions many many topics.
There are lies, damned lies, statistics - and ADC/DAC specs.
Glider pilot's aphorism: "there is no substitute for span". Retort: "There is a substitute: skill+imagination. But you can buy span".
Having fun doing more, with less

Online joeqsmith

• Super Contributor
Many years ago a friend of mine loaned me Hackers Heroes of the Computer Revolution by Steven Levy.   It's basically about the history of the early pioneers with many great stories about the people and cultures of the time.   I wrote Richard Stallman after reading the book.   

I have some old books on electricity and electrical devices but nothing really for electronics and nothing that is really a historical reference book.  I have some old ARRL books and trade magazines from the 60s and earlier.  Also have some old Bell Systems Technical manuals.  These are pretty good.   

Offline chris_leyson

• Super Contributor
"The Deadly Fuze" by Ralph B. Baldwin.
About the development of the proximity fuze during WWII by the Applied Physics Laboratory at John Hopkins University.

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf