Author Topic: Brain is useless!  (Read 7183 times)

Online RoGeorgeTopic starter

• Super Contributor
Brain is useless!
« on: March 27, 2019, 05:07:18 pm »

;D
« Last Edit: October 31, 2021, 07:14:53 am by RoGeorge »

The following users thanked this post: tooki, gamalot, BrianHG, RJSV, KlausF, E-Design

Offline bsudbrink

• Frequent Contributor
Re: Brain is useless! (please add more)
« Reply #1 on: March 27, 2019, 05:14:13 pm »

The following users thanked this post: tooki, Exosia

Offline KlausF

• Contributor
« Reply #2 on: March 27, 2019, 05:50:10 pm »
 ;D very funny, like  ;D

Offline CatalinaWOW

• Super Contributor
« Reply #3 on: March 27, 2019, 06:19:57 pm »
Remember this when a witness testifies as to what they saw.  I got an example of this yesterday when a high speed chase went past my wife and I.  We couldn't even agree on the color of the car.  It turns out she was right.  Which I will never live down.

The following users thanked this post: wraper, tooki, GlennSprigg

Online shakalnokturn

• Super Contributor
« Reply #4 on: March 27, 2019, 06:20:38 pm »
Please do not drink & use drugs during EE work - for your safety.

Offline Tomorokoshi

• Super Contributor
« Reply #5 on: March 27, 2019, 06:59:13 pm »
That's a case of aliasing.

Offline Dundarave

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #6 on: March 27, 2019, 07:08:54 pm »
That's a case of aliasing.

So we'd need 8 eyes to accurately see 4 circles?  ;D
« Last Edit: March 27, 2019, 07:10:33 pm by Dundarave »

The following users thanked this post: Galenbo

• Super Contributor
« Reply #7 on: March 27, 2019, 07:33:59 pm »
Spiderman approves your comment!
 :)

Online BrianHG

• Super Contributor
« Reply #8 on: March 28, 2019, 05:38:05 am »
 :scared:

The following users thanked this post: EPAIII

Offline magic

• Super Contributor
« Reply #9 on: March 28, 2019, 07:18:16 am »
I think it would be 8x brain cells, not eyes ;)
Or a lowpass filter perhaps? I find it much easier to see the 4 circles on the forum thumbnail of that image.

The following users thanked this post: EPAIII

Online BrianHG

• Super Contributor
« Reply #10 on: March 28, 2019, 03:01:21 pm »
Or a lowpass filter perhaps? I find it much easier to see the 4 circles on the forum thumbnail of that image.
I think you need less brain cells to see that image properly, remember, that illusion is a interpreted processing error, and a pretty topical one at that.  If you want a truly fucked up brain processing illusion using fat more of your brain's image a facial recognition capabilities, take a look at the illusion in my posted video above at 40 seconds in.  I don't think there are any drugs which can create those messed up looking faces in that way that quickly.
« Last Edit: March 28, 2019, 04:37:57 pm by BrianHG »

The following users thanked this post: hendorog

• Super Contributor
« Last Edit: October 27, 2021, 10:03:49 pm by RoGeorge »

Offline GlennSprigg

• Super Contributor
  • Medically retired Tech. Old School / re-learning !
« Reply #12 on: October 30, 2021, 02:09:11 pm »
I think you need less brain cells to see that image properly, remember, that illusion is a interpreted processing error, and a pretty topical one at that.  If you want a truly fucked up brain processing illusion using fat more of your brain's image a facial recognition capabilities, take a look at the illusion in my posted video above at 40 seconds in.  I don't think there are any drugs which can create those messed up looking faces in that way that quickly.

Not sure what you mean above, in bold.
I think our interpretations regarding *sight* are a result of LEARNED experiences since child-birth.  We see a CUBE in 3-Dimensions, when viewing a 2-D
drawing with distorted angled sides, because we have LEARNT how that is representative. We see distant objects as SMALL, because our brain has learnt
that this is the result of perspective distortion, even though we know, (think!) the object is large.
Diagonal of 1x1 square = Root-2. Ok.
Diagonal of 1x1x1 cube = Root-3 !!!  Beautiful !!

Online SiliconWizard

• Super Contributor
« Reply #13 on: October 30, 2021, 06:15:51 pm »
Yeah. This is actually because our brain is very useful that we can get "tricked" by those optical illusions. It's due to all the abstraction layers we have from retinal perception to conscious image.

A stupid image analysis will have, OTOH, no problem seeing this as 4 concentric circles.

The following users thanked this post: tooki, RJSV

Offline RJSV

• Super Contributor
« Reply #14 on: October 31, 2021, 03:17:58 am »
   I've experienced 'Visual Phantom Limb' for many years!
  The illusion is right there, inches away. The 'Phantom' effect is of a shadow-like 'image': Try waving a hand, with eye closed; seen then is a shadow, on the closed eye lids. The illusion resembles that dark shadow, and will 'track' your moving hand.
Try moving your hand, underneath the table, or behind a door, etc. With my mild illusion, often I can perceive the (hidden hand) motions: The actual hand, often, is offset, from the perceeived shaddow-like 'blob'.
   I'm pretty sure this 'Visual Phantom Limb' sensatíon is rare, or rarely noticed...

Offline GlennSprigg

• Super Contributor
  • Medically retired Tech. Old School / re-learning !
« Reply #15 on: November 03, 2021, 12:19:30 pm »
   I've experienced 'Visual Phantom Limb' for many years!
  The illusion is right there, inches away. The 'Phantom' effect is of a shadow-like 'image': Try waving a hand, with eye closed; seen then is a shadow, on the closed eye lids. The illusion resembles that dark shadow, and will 'track' your moving hand.
Try moving your hand, underneath the table, or behind a door, etc. With my mild illusion, often I can perceive the (hidden hand) motions: The actual hand, often, is offset, from the perceeived shaddow-like 'blob'.
   I'm pretty sure this 'Visual Phantom Limb' sensatíon is rare, or rarely noticed...

Interesting concepts!  People actually missing limbs, can still feel sensation there, but it's just false signals from major nerves though.
Back when I had my photographic DarkRoom, that's a weird & un-natural experience, as it is 100% TOTALLY dark, as opposed to what we
often 'think' is real darkness, and our Brain seems to want to fill-in where/what is totally lacking. It's so different from what you may have
seemed to experience on even the darkest nights in a very 'darkened' room!!  It's then, that my Brain thinks it can see certain artifacts!!

Interestingly, I want to ask some Blind people, (that is, totally blind from Birth, not having lost their sight), what/how they 'Dream'!!!  :scared:
They can't dream/imagine objects/shapes in the way most of us do??  Do they just dream about voices & other sensations like touch??
I've realized too, that it would be hard, if not impossible?, to explain about visual perspective/distance/size?? And how say a Car that is say
100-Metres away is now only a 1/2 inch gap between your thumb and fore-finger!!!  It's literally a whole new world!!   :phew:
Diagonal of 1x1 square = Root-2. Ok.
Diagonal of 1x1x1 cube = Root-3 !!!  Beautiful !!

• Super Contributor
Re: Brain is useless!
« Reply #16 on: November 04, 2021, 01:47:56 pm »

;D

Online coppercone2

• Super Contributor
  • $
« Reply #17 on: November 04, 2021, 05:15:27 pm »
hmm you know I think you can setup a frequency synth and a spectrum analyzer to do some kinda bond girl intro on a waterfall

Offline RJSV

• Super Contributor
« Reply #18 on: December 01, 2021, 12:28:20 am »
   Glenn: Thanks for your thoughts, on potential 'Visual Phantom Limb'.
   In more detail, the term 'first derivative' comes to mind, perhaps only vaguely applies here:
   Sweeping the hand, with eyes closed, you have to, first, realize the nature of the 'appearance' of your visual field, like in a darkroom.  Many folks experience a slightly granular and mottled field, looking like a close-up magnification of human skin.
Actually, as an aside, MY latent visual field has taken a decidedly 'Polka-Dot' resemblance, (since started on typical blood pressure MEDS, a decade or so ago).
With a minor amount of searching, I haven't found any medical / neurologist research on this exact topic, (latent visual static field, aside from visual 'noise'.)

I suspect, that much of the bulk of literature involves descriptions and texts relating YOGA practices, in older cultures of INDIA and nearby.
(I like Chi-Gung, loosely termed as a Moving Yoga.)

That (cultural) history is not fiction:. Many stories exist, relating 'great visions' and sense of 'future' events.  Any 'clinical' criteria seeks to confirm a lack of psychosis or other blatant mental illness, I don't know much about that angle.

But anyway, back to my observation:
   It's as if there is a 'mottled' visual image, perhaps that's bundles of neurons, (also in v cortex): and this pattern, grainy pattern is 'disturbed' kind of like if it was a some loose feathers, sitting on a flat surface, and your 'hand' waving across those loose feathers causes some to shift, a little. After the 'hand sweep' it doesn't really look any different, (loose fluffy feathers),
but it just seems like some parts shifted, some places slightly darkened, after hand passes over.
   So it's subtle.

For the 'mental illness' factors, that's beyond my expertise, but consider, for a second, VAN GOGH, with the swirling patterns in some of his art. THAT, there looks more like poison or other massive toxic, some have said he 'tasted the paint'.
  I, I don't know, about that.
  But, Visual Phantom Limb might be due to the literally billions of hand movements we use, there in front and center, inches from eyes.

Offline RJSV

• Super Contributor
« Reply #19 on: December 01, 2021, 12:34:06 am »
...This photo, (a ring stand), resembles that 'mottled' pattern, of what visual static image is perceived, in the dark. Likely retina and visual cortex 'self-perception', ironically.
   Also, resembling a QR code, having random pattern.

Offline eti

• Super Contributor
  • !
  • MOD: a.k.a Unlokia, glossywhite, iamwhoiam etc
« Reply #20 on: December 01, 2021, 02:00:00 am »
Who’s Brian? 😛

Online Ed.Kloonk

• Super Contributor
  • Cat video aficionado
« Reply #21 on: December 01, 2021, 02:37:02 am »
I'm Brian. And so is my wife.

(I'm not Brian, really..)
iratus parum formica

Offline eti

• Super Contributor
  • !
  • MOD: a.k.a Unlokia, glossywhite, iamwhoiam etc
« Reply #22 on: December 01, 2021, 02:43:39 am »
I'm Brian. And so is my wife.

(I'm not Brian, really..)

Hah, noice.

The following users thanked this post: Ed.Kloonk

Offline RJSV

• Super Contributor
« Reply #23 on: December 01, 2021, 06:31:22 am »
Glenn:
   Hmm, what did that mean, "brain wants to see artifacts...in total darkness, a photography 'dark room"?
   Were there... slowly swirling, cloud-like things...collapsing into a spiral water-drain like center?
That resembles Lava Lamp visuals?
   I ask that, as those types of subtle 'vision disturbance' generally appear to many folks.  I speculate that illusion effect is a 'parasitic' feature, perhaps caused by 'lateral' oscillations or wave fronts of neurons triggering.  Kind of what we might term as 'undocumented or side effect features, aside from what that system evolved to do.
In other words, in addition to the usual, vertical processing, a parasitic process is making slight (neuron firing) bleed horizontally, to adjacent portions (or adjacent neuron bundles), with results that aren't directly (helping) regular vision response.  Thus, a little visual 'noise' can start more processes:  a traveling 'wavefront' that makes for a slow, blooming patch of slightly brighter perception.
A similar phenomenon, to the classic NUCLEAR reaction demo, where a couple hundred mouse traps, each with a ping-pong ball, ready to start a (run away) chain reaction. (Mouse traps w ping-pong balls are setup inside a large cardboard box).

Visual equivalent, to a runaway chain reaction, would be these sorts of vague, or vivid, 'blooming' or slowly expanding patches, that often have a 'swirl', and often then shrink or collapse, all over 4 or 5 seconds duration.  Then, another soon happens.

OR, (without unnecessarily putting you on the spot), then what sort of artifact of visual system ?
Perhaps, also, that these artifacts might just be confined to the visual cortex, rather than an optical related illusion effect.
   At any rate, I did estimate the sort of density of dots, or little patches, in visual field and came up with a figure like 50 to 100 individual little patches, across horizontal visual field.  That might suggest about a total field, maybe 50 by 50 separate 'patches', in total visual field.

Online BrianHG

• Super Contributor
« Reply #24 on: December 01, 2021, 08:04:18 am »

Offline RJSV

• Super Contributor
« Reply #25 on: December 02, 2021, 12:03:10 am »
Wait...Who's Briean ?

Offline armandine2

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #26 on: December 02, 2021, 10:00:52 am »
The brain is useless - but the bend is in the road

Funny, the things you have the hardest time parting with are the things you need the least - Bob Dylan

Online coppercone2

• Super Contributor
  • $
« Reply #27 on: December 02, 2021, 04:17:28 pm »

• Super Contributor
« Reply #28 on: December 20, 2023, 08:00:43 pm »
Which car is the biggest?

Measure them each.  ;D

The following users thanked this post: Dan123456

Offline Zero999

• Super Contributor
« Reply #29 on: December 20, 2023, 09:26:10 pm »

(Attachment Link)

Measure them each.  ;D
That one didn't fool me. It's obvious they're all the same size. The one in the original post does look confusing, until I set the zoom to 30%.

Offline Andy Chee

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #30 on: December 20, 2023, 09:49:07 pm »
Which square is lighter, A or B?

Offline magic

• Super Contributor
« Reply #31 on: December 20, 2023, 09:58:00 pm »
The one which occupies the widest fraction of the road ;)

Offline edpalmer42

• Super Contributor
« Reply #32 on: December 20, 2023, 10:11:39 pm »
I've always been fascinated by the brain's ability to trick us.

Everyone has a blind spot in each eye.  Look at a brick wall with only one eye and you should see a spot which is grey or black and has no pattern.  But the brain doesn't like that so it fills in the pattern of the bricks.  Kind of creepy when you think about it!

Ed

Online SiliconWizard

• Super Contributor
« Reply #33 on: December 21, 2023, 01:16:53 am »

(Attachment Link)

Measure them each.  ;D

No, ask AI.

Offline Fryguy

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #34 on: December 21, 2023, 01:27:50 am »
Brian is useless ?  :wtf:  Who is going to tell him ?
Born error amplifier  >.<

• Super Contributor
« Reply #35 on: December 21, 2023, 09:08:38 am »
How many times?

;D

Offline Andy Chee

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #36 on: December 21, 2023, 02:03:39 pm »
This attention test is also a good one!

The following users thanked this post: PlainName, Dan123456

Offline Zero999

• Super Contributor
« Reply #37 on: December 22, 2023, 02:07:26 pm »

(Attachment Link)
It depends on whether you're talking about the pixels, or the fact it clearly represents a 3D image, with the green cylinder casting a shadow over B?

These option illusions the brain's advanced visual processing, rather than uselessness. The brain has processes visual information, rather than just interpreting it literally in order for our survival. For example, it's often better to ear on the side of caution and assume a dark spot on the ground is a hole, rather than just a painted area.
« Last Edit: December 22, 2023, 05:21:20 pm by Zero999 »

Offline Andy Chee

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #38 on: December 22, 2023, 07:46:19 pm »
These option illusions the brain's advanced visual processing, rather than uselessness. The brain has processes visual information, rather than just interpreting it literally in order for our survival.
It's not just visual information though, lots of aural illusions as well!

I suppose the point is that human perception is not merely sensory, but invariably involves a significant cognitive interpretative element as well.

It's a point not fully appreciated by some people, when people have heated debates over the internet about "what colour is that dress", or hearing "yanny or laurel"  ;)

https://www.abc.net.au/science/articles/2015/03/17/4197384.htm

https://news.mit.edu/2018/featured-video-neuroscience-behind-yanny-vs-laurel-0517

Online coppercone2

• Super Contributor
  • $
« Reply #39 on: December 23, 2023, 05:44:34 am »

Offline lezginka_kabardinka

• Regular Contributor
  • !
« Reply #40 on: December 24, 2023, 02:06:34 am »
Who’s Brian?

Offline jonovid

• Super Contributor
    • JONOVID
« Reply #41 on: December 24, 2023, 05:05:49 am »
I have only one. but it's taking me more then 50 yrs to learn how to use it.
Hobbyist with a basic knowledge of electronics

Offline lezginka_kabardinka

• Regular Contributor
  • !
« Reply #42 on: December 24, 2023, 10:50:31 pm »

(Attachment Link)

I'd have to grab my scales and weigh them  :P

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf