Author Topic: Brake cleaner is cheap and cleans PCBs really well  (Read 10395 times)

Offline Halcyon

• Global Moderator
Re: Brake cleaner is cheap and cleans PCBs really well
« Reply #50 on: September 16, 2021, 09:58:27 am »
Has anyone tried E85 "flex" fuel? 

For cars it's terrible but for a cleaner,,, Hmmm maybe?

Offline SteveyG

• Supporter
  • Soldering Equipment Guru
« Reply #51 on: September 16, 2021, 10:27:10 am »
N.B.: Chlorinated brake cleaner makes (at least some) plastic parts extremely brittle. I've now got a new plastic case on the way for my Garmin GPS because I thought it would be smart to clean it with brake cleaner and it crumbled into tiny little crispy bits.  :palm:

I doubt you can by chlorinated brake cleaner anywhere. It's removed from sale in most countries, but it's also useless given how many plastics etc are in modern braking systems.
YouTube Channel: https://www.youtube.com/user/sdgelectronics/
Use code: “SDG5” to get 5% off JBC Equipment at Kaisertech

Offline Cerebus

• Super Contributor
« Reply #53 on: September 16, 2021, 12:23:00 pm »
N.B.: Chlorinated brake cleaner makes (at least some) plastic parts extremely brittle. I've now got a new plastic case on the way for my Garmin GPS because I thought it would be smart to clean it with brake cleaner and it crumbled into tiny little crispy bits.  :palm:

I doubt you can by chlorinated brake cleaner anywhere. It's removed from sale in most countries, but it's also useless given how many plastics etc are in modern braking systems.

Where do you think all that plastic is? The only plastic I've ever seen in the bit of a braking system that one would use brake cleaner on, the calliper and disc, is the rubber in the hoses and seals (generally EPDM rubber because they have to resist hydraulic oil).
Anybody got a syringe I can use to squeeze the magic smoke back into this?

Offline helius

• Super Contributor
« Reply #54 on: September 16, 2021, 01:14:52 pm »
Last time I checked, chlorinated CRC #05089 (tetrachloroethylene) is still available in most of the US (some states and Catalina Island excepted):
I bought several cans of it.  That said, I don't use it on PCB's.
I don't either. It does work very well for cleaning metal parts, as well as for removing stains from fabric. These operations should be done outdoors or with fume extraction.

Online jpanhalt

• Super Contributor
« Reply #55 on: September 16, 2021, 02:55:42 pm »
I don't either. It does work very well for cleaning metal parts, as well as for removing stains from fabric. These operations should be done outdoors or with fume extraction.

You can bet it is/was good for "dry cleaning."  AKA, "PERC" (perchloroethylene).  It works well with just a little water (5% or so) and was easily recovered and reused.  Don't know if it is still used.

Offline BrokenYugo

• Super Contributor
« Reply #56 on: September 16, 2021, 03:47:32 pm »
Has anyone tried E85 "flex" fuel? 

In the US, it is at least 50% ethanol + light petroleum distillates (https://afdc.energy.gov/fuels/ethanol_e85_specs.html ).  Apparently the ethanol percentage is higher in the Summer.  In the US, it is spec'd to contain 51% to 83% ethanol.  Many of the commercial flux removers have petroleum spirits in them too.  Doesn't smell too bad either.  It is also less than $3/gal in my area.

I bought some the other day (Summer in Ohio), but haven't had a chance to use it.

Maybe I got a bad batch or something but I cannot agree with your opinion on the smell whatsoever. The one time I had the displeasure of working on the fuel system of an E85 car a small spill stunk up the nicely air conditioned workshop so badly we opened every door and window, on a hot humid mosquito infested Michigan summer night. Real nasty rotten food sort of smell. I could only see using the stuff as a cleaner outdoors and upwind.   

Offline SteveyG

• Supporter
  • Soldering Equipment Guru
« Reply #57 on: September 16, 2021, 06:39:04 pm »
Where do you think all that plastic is? The only plastic I've ever seen in the bit of a braking system that one would use brake cleaner on, the calliper and disc, is the rubber in the hoses and seals (generally EPDM rubber because they have to resist hydraulic oil).

Most pads are plastic backed to eliminate the use of grease, then you have the wear sensors, guide pin sleeves, anti squeal shims etc. There's then everything in the surrounding areas which will get sprayed during cleaning, arch liners, abs sensors, just about every other sensor...

Brake cleaner gets used for everything in an automotive workshop though, particularly cleaning oil and grease residue in the engine bay.
YouTube Channel: https://www.youtube.com/user/sdgelectronics/
Use code: “SDG5” to get 5% off JBC Equipment at Kaisertech

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf