Author Topic: Brand New Tektronix Analog Oscilloscope?  (Read 3893 times)

Offline james_s

• Super Contributor
Re: Brand New Tektronix Analog Oscilloscope?
« Reply #25 on: August 02, 2021, 05:11:21 am »
Years ago I opened up a similarly laminated crate which had been carefully labeled by the US Navy as containing field radio service gear.  It was full of radar stuff.  Military stores are "like a box of chocolates" as Forrest Gump might say.

Do they still sell any good surplus like that anymore or do they just crush it all? The last time I went into a military surplus store I was underwhelmed. They had a few fighter jet helmets and a small selection of clothing and things like folding shovels but most of the interesting stuff they had was vintage items on display that were not for sale. The bulk of the store was full of new outdoor/camping gear that was not military related.

Offline AaronLee

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #26 on: August 02, 2021, 06:06:14 am »
Do they still sell any good surplus like that anymore or do they just crush it all? The last time I went into a military surplus store I was underwhelmed. They had a few fighter jet helmets and a small selection of clothing and things like folding shovels but most of the interesting stuff they had was vintage items on display that were not for sale. The bulk of the store was full of new outdoor/camping gear that was not military related.

The last (and only) time I went to a military surplus store, I had a very similar experience to you. The thing is, that it was when I was a kid, which was a very long time ago. Perhaps they've always been like that, or perhaps we both visited the same store.

Offline nctnico

• Super Contributor
    • NCT Developments
« Reply #27 on: August 02, 2021, 03:59:17 pm »

The last (and only) time I went to a military surplus store, I had a very similar experience to you. The thing is, that it was when I was a kid, which was a very long time ago. Perhaps they've always been like that, or perhaps we both visited the same store.
Nowadays the only thing that seems to sell are clothes. There is a very old fleamarket in Amsterdam. When I was a kid you could find all kinds of neat stuff there (including several electronics surplus dealers). Nowadays you can find mostly clothes and trinkets.
There are small lies, big lies and then there is what is on the screen of your oscilloscope.

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf