Author Topic: Brand New Tektronix Analog Oscilloscope?  (Read 3890 times)

Offline josh132Topic starter

• Contributor
  • OSCILLOSCOPE
bu du bu nu

Offline josh132Topic starter

• Contributor
  • OSCILLOSCOPE
Re: Brand New Tektronix Analog Oscilloscope?
« Reply #1 on: May 19, 2021, 12:59:42 am »
Also im a dad now. A very proud dad.
bu du bu nu

The following users thanked this post: Vovk_Z

Online amyk

• Super Contributor
« Reply #2 on: May 19, 2021, 01:13:02 am »
In the military, things get destroyed very often... so it's not surprising they would have completely unused units in stock.

Offline andy3055

• Super Contributor
« Reply #3 on: May 19, 2021, 02:04:25 am »
New Old Stock? The box shows it.

Offline Stray Electron

• Super Contributor
« Reply #4 on: May 19, 2021, 02:08:56 am »
  Exactly. Someone recently had a large number of brand new HP 34401 meters for sale on Ebay and his paperwork showed that they had come from a USN contract. The USG and it's contractors are famous for buying far more equipment than they need and then destroying it, or occasionally selling it as Mil Surplus.

About 20 years ago I bought 13 (IIRC) HP Integral computers and all sorts of accessories from the USN. Much of it was still NIB. I also bought about 75 HP-71 calculators from the US Army at Ft Bliss.

But I'll warn you that the Tek scopes do NOT like to be left unpowered for long periods of time. IMO you will be extremely lucky if some, most or all of the caps in it haven't failed.

A few years ago I found sealed BC-348 radio that had been overhauled at Warner-Robbins AFB in 1963 and had never been opened. That stuff is out there, you just have to find it. (And hope that it still works!)

Offline Stray Electron

• Super Contributor
« Reply #5 on: May 19, 2021, 02:19:39 am »
  I just looked up the auction and he does list it as new, so E-bay will guarantee that it works and is complete or you can get your money back. But $825 for a 100 MHz scope sounds far to expensive to me.  YMMV. You can buy a very nice used leCroy or Tek or HP color DSO for that kind of money.

If you buy it my advice is to run it 24 hours a day for the first month to see if any of the caps will fail while it still has any E-bay guarantee.

Most places that I worked, they NEVER turned off their scopes or the majority of their test equipment. Most engineering companies consider that never turning off TE to be far more reliable than switching it off and on and that leaving it on all of the time causes less tolerance drift.

Online bdunham7

• Super Contributor
« Reply #6 on: May 19, 2021, 02:29:35 am »
$800 seems a bit much, but I'm pretty sure they'll sell quickly.  That's not something you see NOS very much and you can't buy them new.  If they've been sealed properly they probably won't have any issues either, at least for a while.
A 3.5 digit 4.5 digit 5 digit 5.5 digit 6.5 digit 7.5 digit DMM is good enough for most people.

Online Alex Eisenhut

• Super Contributor
  • Place text here.
« Reply #7 on: May 19, 2021, 03:33:06 am »
That thing's shiny and the writing is impeccable! Nice find.
Hoarder of 8-bit Commodore relics and 1960s Tektronix 500-series stuff. Unconventional interior decorator.

Offline AntiProtonBoy

• Frequent Contributor
  • I think I passed the Voight-Kampff test.
« Reply #8 on: May 19, 2021, 03:47:02 am »
$800 seems a bit much, but I'm pretty sure they'll sell quickly.  That's not something you see NOS very much and you can't buy them new.  If they've been sealed properly they probably won't have any issues either, at least for a while.
Seems a bit much, but something like this in mint condition could be potentially collectible, i'd wager.

Offline rodcastler

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #9 on: May 19, 2021, 10:38:00 am »
  But I'll warn you that the Tek scopes do NOT like to be left unpowered for long periods of time. IMO you will be extremely lucky if some, most or all of the caps in it haven't failed.
You got me thinking... How come unused caps would have worse chances than others that have been powered an used? Is that a general rule?

Offline Caliaxy

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #10 on: May 19, 2021, 12:43:34 pm »
$800 seems a bit much, but I'm pretty sure they'll sell quickly.
Seems a bit much, but something like this in mint condition could be potentially collectible, i'd wager.

... but the collectible value goes down the drain once it’s not a sealed, NIB item anymore - then it becomes just a used item.

To the OP: sleep on it. We know that’s challenging, as a new dad ;D Congratulations on your new arrival!
« Last Edit: May 19, 2021, 12:50:43 pm by Caliaxy »

Offline rdl

• Super Contributor
« Reply #11 on: May 19, 2021, 12:48:50 pm »
What the hell is Ebay up to with that url? That's probably the longest I've ever seen!

Online Alex Eisenhut

• Super Contributor
  • Place text here.
« Reply #12 on: May 19, 2021, 05:02:09 pm »
What the hell is Ebay up to with that url? That's probably the longest I've ever seen!
It contains all the session data, you can remove everything after the ?v_ and it will still link to the correct item.
Hoarder of 8-bit Commodore relics and 1960s Tektronix 500-series stuff. Unconventional interior decorator.

Offline rdl

• Super Contributor
« Reply #13 on: May 20, 2021, 02:31:10 am »
I actually knew that, but jeez that seems excessive. Did they encode the op's entire life history? Maybe that's from an ebay tab that's been open for weeks?

It contains all the session data, you can remove everything after the ?v_ and it will still link to the correct item.

Offline jmelson

• Super Contributor
« Reply #14 on: May 20, 2021, 03:05:56 am »
I got a Tek 2465 on eBay a few years ago for about $475.  It was used, not new, but that may not make a big difference.
The 24xx series is definitely a higher-grade of scope than the 22xx series.  I've been VERY happy with mine.

Jon

Offline Miti

• Super Contributor
« Reply #15 on: May 20, 2021, 03:33:47 am »
To the OP: sleep on it. We know that’s challenging, as a new dad ;D Congratulations on your new arrival!

Yes, good advice. Sleep on it. With the new baby, you really need it.  ;)

Congratulations!
Fear does not stop death, it stops life.

Offline richmit

• Contributor
    • https://www.mitchr.me/
« Reply #16 on: July 27, 2021, 10:31:19 pm »

A few days before my birthday, a gigantic box arrived.  It was one of those super thick, stiff boxes used by the military for storage.  I imagined it came from some place like they put the Arc in Indiana Jones. ;) Inside was a sealed envelope with a Tektronix 2235 manual, and a huge box that had been vacuum sealed in thick, metallized laminate.  As I cut it open, air hissed in -- I felt like an archeologist opening a precious, sealed sarcophagus!  Sure enough, inside was a factory sealed Tektronix box.  Inside was the scope and all the accessories in original, sealed packaging.  I opened up the scope, and looked for swollen or leaking caps.  Didn't find anything obviously wrong, so I plugged it in.  It was fully functional and in calibration!

Turns out my wife purchased the last one they had.  Best birthday present ever.  I don't even care that it cost way more than it should have.  Soooooo  Shiny!

I figure I'll replace the caps.  Not sure what else needs to be done.

-mitch

The following users thanked this post: nctnico, RoGeorge, james_s, Vovk_Z, Trader

Offline andy3055

• Super Contributor
« Reply #17 on: July 28, 2021, 12:19:16 am »
Brand spanking new! In its day, it would have sold for a few thousands more! You had better look after it like gold.
Congrats on the new baby. Sleepless nights are in the near future and the more sleep you get now, better for both of you.

Offline AaronLee

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #18 on: July 28, 2021, 12:53:21 am »

A few days before my birthday, a gigantic box arrived.  It was one of those super thick, stiff boxes used by the military for storage.  I imagined it came from some place like they put the Arc in Indiana Jones. ;) Inside was a sealed envelope with a Tektronix 2235 manual, and a huge box that had been vacuum sealed in thick, metallized laminate.  As I cut it open, air hissed in -- I felt like an archeologist opening a precious, sealed sarcophagus!  Sure enough, inside was a factory sealed Tektronix box.  Inside was the scope and all the accessories in original, sealed packaging.  I opened up the scope, and looked for swollen or leaking caps.  Didn't find anything obviously wrong, so I plugged it in.  It was fully functional and in calibration!

Turns out my wife purchased the last one they had.  Best birthday present ever.  I don't even care that it cost way more than it should have.  Soooooo  Shiny!

-mitch

That is sweet looking. Congratulations. Around here, almost everyone I know has the obligatory analog scope in their lab, whether it's a working scope or not. I'm one of the few who doesn't. It's been ages since I even touched an analog scope. I guess I wouldn't mind having a beauty like that though, just to look at sometimes, even if I never used it.

Offline james_s

• Super Contributor
« Reply #19 on: July 28, 2021, 01:01:58 am »
... but the collectible value goes down the drain once it’s not a sealed, NIB item anymore - then it becomes just a used item.

I didn't buy one, but to me the value of something like this is the experience of getting a brand new vintage item, opening it up and having it in excellent cosmetic condition with a 0-hour CRT. Problems from sitting can be fixed, it's still a "low mileage" vintage item that would be cool to have. Same with unbuilt kits, if I were going to buy something like an unbuilt Heathkit I would build it. Of course that would kill the value but I don't buy stuff to sit on and resell, I buy it to use it, and I'd be paying for the experience.

People spend $800 on a lot dumber stuff than a vintage scope, and much more on other things with no return on the investment. A vacation could cost 10 times that and all that leaves you with is the experience and maybe a few trinkets. When you buy a new car as soon as you've signed the paperwork it isn't new anymore and it drops in value by a lot more than $800.

Offline james_s

• Super Contributor
« Reply #20 on: July 28, 2021, 01:07:23 am »

Wow! Better hold onto that wife!

Thanks for sharing the unpacking pictures, that's super cool. Take good care of it, that thing looks great!

Offline Vovk_Z

• Super Contributor
« Reply #21 on: July 31, 2021, 10:40:33 pm »
- don't forget about film X2 caps in a power supply.

Offline ebastler

• Super Contributor
« Reply #22 on: August 01, 2021, 12:25:03 pm »
Sure enough, inside was a factory sealed Tektronix box.  Inside was the scope and all the accessories in original, sealed packaging.  I opened up the scope, [...]

You mean you broke the factory seals on the box and packaging? You probably cut its value in half that very moment... Right thing to do anyway, I'd say. An "alleged oscilloscope" in a factory-sealed box is no good either. Bit of a Schroedinger's Cat situation there...  8)

Offline james_s

• Super Contributor
« Reply #23 on: August 01, 2021, 05:26:57 pm »
You mean you broke the factory seals on the box and packaging? You probably cut its value in half that very moment... Right thing to do anyway, I'd say. An "alleged oscilloscope" in a factory-sealed box is no good either. Bit of a Schroedinger's Cat situation there...  8)

I have an original Voodoo 3D card that is still factory sealed, I found it years ago when they were cleaning out a storage room at a former employer around the time it was obsolete but not collectible yet. X-rayed the box to see what was in there, not that I had any doubt that it was a video card.

Offline richmit

• Contributor
    • https://www.mitchr.me/
« Reply #24 on: August 01, 2021, 06:06:30 pm »

I have an original Voodoo 3D card that is still factory sealed, I found it years ago when they were cleaning out a storage room at a former employer around the time it was obsolete but not collectible yet. X-rayed the box to see what was in there, not that I had any doubt that it was a video card.

Years ago I opened up a similarly laminated crate which had been carefully labeled by the US Navy as containing field radio service gear.  It was full of radar stuff.  Military stores are "like a box of chocolates" as Forrest Gump might say.

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf