Author Topic: Broadcom LED displays  (Read 9136 times)

Offline dmills

• Super Contributor
Re: Broadcom LED displays
« Reply #25 on: April 30, 2018, 10:27:25 pm »
Upscaling is upscaling. Unless you unleash some neural network magic and actually fill in the detail, it's mostly just smoke and mirrors to fool yourself.
It is **ALWAYS** smoke and mirrors! And then you take the upscaled video and stuff it into a statmux to spit out a few Mb/s for the uplink, grumble.

Only thing is doing it offline lets you throw a lot more computational power at the problem, you can do things a deal smarter then just doing sinc resampling if you have the motion estimation vectors as well, but you really do not want to be doing that on live video, far better to work at offline rates. 

Regards, Dan.

Offline NiHaoMike

• Super Contributor
  • "Don't turn it on - Take it apart!"
    • Facebook Page
« Reply #26 on: May 01, 2018, 12:33:10 am »
Well I'm sure some day I'll end up with a 4k TV but for now the 65" 1080p set I got for free and fixed has been working great. I'm not sure 4k movies are going to be worth the space on my Plex server but maybe hard drives will keep getting cheaper. From watching demos on 4k TVs I can make out the difference if I really look closely but it's incremental at best. Going from SD to 1080p was a very large improvement. I wonder what they'll try to come up with next? Hard to imagine much improvement beyond 4k.
You can get 5K and even 8K displays right now, if you're willing to pay for it... Actually, I'm sure quite a few professional photographers already have one, since even a 8K monitor is not *that* expensive as far as pro budgets go. I like how displays are finally beginning to catch up to cameras as far as resolution goes.
Upscaling is upscaling. Unless you unleash some neural network magic and actually fill in the detail, it's mostly just smoke and mirrors to fool yourself.
Details that weren't captured in the original image will not be restored by upscaling. That can actually be a good thing sometimes - Britney Spears probably wouldn't look too good in 4K!
http://www.marketwired.com/press-release/swanni-names-britney-spears-the-worst-looking-celebrity-in-hdtv-771598.htm
Cryptocurrency has taught me to love math and at the same time be baffled by it.

Cryptocurrency lesson 0: Altcoins and Bitcoin are not the same thing.

Offline james_s

• Super Contributor
« Reply #27 on: May 01, 2018, 02:45:46 am »
Displays sure, I'd love 5k or 8k on my desktop PC, but TV? I don't see 8k TV being a thing any time soon, as we've discussed here the benefits of even 4k are dubious. I like a good quality picture but I don't need to count the actor's nose hairs.

Offline NiHaoMike

• Super Contributor
  • "Don't turn it on - Take it apart!"
    • Facebook Page
« Reply #28 on: May 01, 2018, 03:02:59 am »
After watching TastyPC in 4K, 1080p just doesn't look the same anymore. Although I have to agree that 4K is pretty much well into the point of diminishing returns.

A long time ago, I remember watching 240p video off a CD and thinking that was great quality. Which, to be fair, it was at the time.
Cryptocurrency has taught me to love math and at the same time be baffled by it.

Cryptocurrency lesson 0: Altcoins and Bitcoin are not the same thing.

Offline Cubdriver

• Supporter
  • Nixie addict
    • Photos of electronic gear
« Reply #29 on: May 01, 2018, 05:59:14 am »
 :-DD  I love how a thread about poor uniformity in seven segment LED displays morphs into discussion of high resolution video formats.   :-//

Ya gotta love thread drift.

-Pat
If it jams, force it.  If it breaks, you needed a new one anyway...

Offline Monkeh

• Super Contributor
« Reply #30 on: May 01, 2018, 02:46:03 pm »
:-DD  I love how a thread about poor uniformity in seven segment LED displays morphs into discussion of high resolution video formats.   :-//

Ya gotta love thread drift.

-Pat

He can't help himself.

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf