Author Topic: building a new computer  (Read 4743 times)

Offline shteii01

• Frequent Contributor
Re: building a new computer
« Reply #25 on: February 12, 2018, 11:58:22 pm »
For the princely sum of 100-200 USD: https://www.amazon.com/Best-Sellers-Electronics-Mini-Computers/zgbs/electronics/13896591011

I really don't want to see anymore of S. Mavica posts.  Is there some way on these forums for me to Ignore/Block his posts? 
« Last Edit: February 13, 2018, 12:02:09 am by shteii01 »

Offline NiHaoMike

• Super Contributor
  • "Don't turn it on - Take it apart!"
    • Facebook Page
« Reply #26 on: February 13, 2018, 01:26:18 am »
For the princely sum of 100-200 USD: https://www.amazon.com/Best-Sellers-Electronics-Mini-Computers/zgbs/electronics/13896591011

I really don't want to see anymore of S. Mavica posts.  Is there some way on these forums for me to Ignore/Block his posts? 
What he already has is likely better than many/most of those cheap mini desktops.
Cryptocurrency has taught me to love math and at the same time be baffled by it.

Cryptocurrency lesson 0: Altcoins and Bitcoin are not the same thing.

Offline Ampera

• Super Contributor
    • Ampera's Forums
« Reply #27 on: February 13, 2018, 01:44:03 am »

The best way to ignore someone you don't like is to just not acknowledge them. It's also a bit harsh to straight up say you don't like someone straight to their face.

If you don't want to see his posts, don't click on them. The two words sony mavica aren't going to rend your flesh just by looking at them.
I forget who I am sometimes, but then I remember that it's probably not worth remembering.
EEVBlog IRC Admin - Join us on irc.austnet.org #eevblog

Offline shteii01

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #28 on: February 13, 2018, 10:40:37 am »
The best way to ignore someone you don't like is to just not acknowledge them. It's also a bit harsh to straight up say you don't like someone straight to their face.

If you don't want to see his posts, don't click on them. The two words sony mavica aren't going to rend your flesh just by looking at them.
I am too used to EVE Online, where you just right click on a name and choose Block.  And never see them again.

Offline Ampera

• Super Contributor
    • Ampera's Forums
« Reply #29 on: February 13, 2018, 04:54:33 pm »
There is no block function in the real world. The internet is only a choice of how much you wish to abstract from the real world.
I forget who I am sometimes, but then I remember that it's probably not worth remembering.
EEVBlog IRC Admin - Join us on irc.austnet.org #eevblog

Offline Mr. Scram

• Super Contributor
  • Display aficionado
« Reply #30 on: February 13, 2018, 05:13:21 pm »
I think buying something new that's better than what you have now is out of the question. So upgrading it it. You will need to establish what you current computer won't do that you would like it to do. Play games? Render animations? Basic browsing?

Offline CNe7532294

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #31 on: February 13, 2018, 06:45:33 pm »
As Halcyon said, depends on your intent.

My computer building experience is this. When I was younger my intent was making the best gaming system that can run Crysis. I sunk alot into GPUs. Nowadays my intent is to run programs like J Model test which really need a system to be good at crunching numbers. So nowadays I sink my money into the CPU and RAM. For quick boots and start ups I like SSDs. You only need the OS and some programs installed on the SSD. Everything else like files pertaining to results, text, documents, movies, pictures etc can be on HDDs. As for PSU you need to calculate how much power you need from the specs of each part. Lastly I know we're moving to an age of downloadable content but I suggest planning for some form of CD/DVD drive and even a floppy. You may want to image/save a disk's content one day. Water cooling and overclocking is for pros and I wouldn't recommend unless you do know what you're doing (what to and how to set clock speeds and voltage levels in the bios for example). Regular air fans will suffice. You can even get the quiet performance water cooling offers if you pick the right fan (# of fan blades, rotational speed, rubber mounts, etc.)

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf