Author Topic: [AU/NZ] Bunnings refused to publish my sprinkler review, so I'll do it here...  (Read 686 times)

Offline HalcyonTopic starter

• Global Moderator
Warning: Off-topic content, mostly for Australian audiences.

It seems like Bunnings (a hardware store owned by the Australian conglomerate, Wesfarmers) is more worried about offending certain manufacturers in their supply chain, rather than approving a blunt and honest consumer review, so I'll do so here...

I look after my yard and take particular pride in making sure my lawn looks as best it can. Both my front and rear yards are quite large (up to 20 metres wide). I don't have an automated watering system so I've been using various types of sprinklers that simply connect to the hose and tap, when I need to.

I've probably been through 5 or 6 different brands and types of sprinkler, from cheap "circular style" sprinklers, to impact and oscillating styles. Each have had their own strengths, but mostly weaknesses and generally it comes down to the quality of the build/materials and/or performance, even with some of the more expensive ones.

Recently I discovered the "Wobble-Tee" sprinkler that works not only amazingly well under low pressure, but covers a huge area. The design is simple and scalable (multiple sprinkler heads can be daisy chained off a single hose). The quality of the materials is excellent and better still, it's made locally in Australia. Hands down it beats the cheap Chinese junk that Bunnings tends to stock (this is the part of the review Bunnings had an issue with... but it's completely true).

It's not every day I would write a product review, let alone about a garden sprinkler, but this deserves a specific mention. Also Bunnings: Do better and stop being so precious.

Manufacturer website: https://www.wobble-tee.com.au/products/wobble-tee-sprinkler

The following users thanked this post: Ed.Kloonk

Offline Brumby

• Supporter
It seems like Bunnings .... is more worried about offending certain manufacturers in their supply chain, rather than approving a blunt and honest consumer review...
While I don't know exactly where this review was presented (and that is relevant), I do not believe that is the correct interpretation. I see this as just another example of a company protecting its brand.  Saying wonderful things about a product they don't carry isn't a problem, but making negative comment about the brand brings out the defenses.

For example:
Fluke have reported and had the ebay listing for my EEVblog meter removed because they didn't like that I dared mention Fluke in the listing.
So you aren't allowed to say a meter is "better spec than" "cheaper than" "better value than" etc.
And I can't edit the listing either, I have to create a whole new one.

EDIT:
Fluke seems to have used the "comparative disparagement" aspect of Australia trademark law:
https://www.mmwtrademarks.com.au/blog/using-a-competitors-brand-is-it-legal/#blog-alert-modal
https://www.eevblog.com/forum/chat/fluke-took-down-my-ebay-listing-for-trademark-infringement/msg5410703/#msg5410703

Bunnings, Fluke, Coles and any large business has spent a lot of time and money developing their brand and protecting that brand is critical for the health of the business.  In these days of social media where their reach and impact exceeds anything businesses had to deal with 20 years ago, it doesn't take a lot for even a single negative comment to result in major brand impact.

Lesson: Don't attack a brand - especially if it is only because the products they carry aren't what you want.

• Global Moderator
It seems like Bunnings .... is more worried about offending certain manufacturers in their supply chain, rather than approving a blunt and honest consumer review...
While I don't know exactly where this review was presented (and that is relevant), I do not believe that is the correct interpretation. I see this as just another example of a company protecting its brand.  Saying wonderful things about a product they don't carry isn't a problem, but making negative comment about the brand brings out the defenses.

Bunnings stock this particular product (it's where I bought it from). But based on volume, I dare say they sell much more of the overseas crap than not. Not exactly a statistic I have any sales figures for, but one I'd be willing to put bets on. Maybe if I replaced the word "Chinese" with "overseas" it would have made it through, but why beat around the bush? People know it's true.

Offline Brumby

• Supporter
So ... was this a product review - or a business bashing?  Sounds like it was a bit of both, which isn't really a product review in my mind.  If Bunnings do sell this "wonderful product", then I would have thought it more appropriate to sing the praises of it and stopped at something like "better than any other sprinkler".

Question:  Do you also denigrate and disparage Jaycar for all the gimmicky products they offer - like "The Amazing Fly Gun"

It's a sad fact that there is an unmistakable need for retailers to service the budget end of town.  There's a lot of demand there.
« Last Edit: April 15, 2024, 12:15:19 pm by Brumby »

• Global Moderator
So ... was this a product review - or a business bashing?  Sounds like it was a bit of both, which isn't really a product review in my mind.  If Bunnings do sell this "wonderful product", then I would have thought it more appropriate to sing the praises of it and stopped at something like "better than any other sprinkler".

It was both. They just didn't like my comment about their Chinese junk. I maintain it's a fair comment to make. I also think promoting local manufacturing is a good thing, even if it does cost a few dollars more.

Question:  Do you also denigrate and disparage Jaycar for all the gimmicky products they offer - like "The Amazing Fly Gun"

No, because I don't shop at Jaycar, let alone buy a fly gun. I have no comment in relation to that store or product.
« Last Edit: April 15, 2024, 11:32:33 pm by Halcyon »

Offline Brumby

• Supporter
It was both. They just didn't like my comment about their Chinese junk. I maintain it's a fair comment to make.
It might be a fair comment on buying philosophy, but for a product review, I disagree.  Stick to points about the product you're reviewing.

I also think promoting local manufacturing is a good thing, even if it does cost a few dollars more.
I'm with you 100% on that one.

Offline thermistor-guy

• Frequent Contributor

It seems like Bunnings (a hardware store owned by the Australian conglomerate, Wesfarmers) is more worried about offending certain manufacturers in their supply chain, rather than approving a blunt and honest consumer review, so I'll do so here...

I post my product reviews at https://www.productreview.com.au/

The OEM reps definitely monitor reviews there.

In one case, I was unhappy with an appliance OEM's telephone customer support, so I drafted a review and put it into mediation.
That gave the company a chance to respond to the draft review, before it was published.

Customer support then emailed me, and with with some back-and-forth I was able to resolve the matter. So I published an
updated review, acknowledging the follow-up support.

The following users thanked this post: Halcyon

Offline thermistor-guy

• Frequent Contributor
Recently I discovered the "Wobble-Tee" sprinkler that works not only amazingly well under low pressure, but covers a huge area. The design is simple and scalable (multiple sprinkler heads can be daisy chained off a single hose). The quality of the materials is excellent and better still, it's made locally in Australia. Hands down it beats the cheap Chinese junk that Bunnings tends to stock (this is the part of the review Bunnings had an issue with... but it's completely true).

Manufacturer website: https://www.wobble-tee.com.au/products/wobble-tee-sprinkler

Wobble-Tee sprinkler reviews: https://www.productreview.com.au/listings/wobble-tee-sprinkler.
OP: maybe add your review.

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf