Author Topic: can anybody please help me out?  (Read 15497 times)

Offline sony mavicaTopic starter

• Frequent Contributor
can anybody please help me out?
« on: October 31, 2017, 09:59:23 am »
there is a really really nice deal on a laptop only till 12pm tomorrow its 320nzd original price 700nzd but im short $58nzd

i wanted to know if anybody would do a trade

i will send you $80nzd skrill payment for a $58nzd paypal payment

can anybody help me out?
MORE POWER!

Offline Simon

• Global Moderator
  • Did that just blow up? No? might work after all !!
    • Simon's Electronics
Re: can anybody please help me out?
« Reply #1 on: October 31, 2017, 12:40:41 pm »
Err what the ? are you for real? if you were a sub 50 posts user you would be banned already. Looks as dodgy as hell.

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #2 on: November 01, 2017, 01:28:04 am »
Err what the ? are you for real? if you were a sub 50 posts user you would be banned already. Looks as dodgy as hell.

i found 2 sites to do it on but are they scams?
https://www.bestchange.com/skrill-to-paypal-usd.html
MORE POWER!

Offline sokoloff

• Super Contributor
« Reply #3 on: November 01, 2017, 01:57:10 am »
That's about $40 US. You don't know anyone local to you who can spot you $40 or do this exchange for skrill bucks or whatever?

That sounds fishy and I'd be surprised if you're going to get any total stranger (someone you've had no dealings with before and no vouch) to do it. The internet is fantastic; it's probably not your best solution here.

Offline M4trix

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #4 on: November 01, 2017, 02:08:09 am »
I must admit that this is the first time I have heard about the 'skrill dollar' term and what is its purpose.  :-[

* M4trix embarrassed

Offline Mr. Scram

• Super Contributor
  • Display aficionado
« Reply #5 on: November 01, 2017, 02:18:05 am »
This may very well be the least descriptive thread title I've seen on here.

Online Ian.M

• Super Contributor
« Reply #6 on: November 01, 2017, 02:53:13 am »
... and its *DUMB* with a capital 'D'.   If one's finances are so tight that you cant find the equivalent of five  burger meals extra from your wallet or bank account, the last thing you need to do is blow $320 on a laptop when you already have access to a computer.  The *only* way it would make any sense would be if you know you can immediately flip it for over $500 and plan to do so.
« Last Edit: November 01, 2017, 02:54:53 am by Ian.M »

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #7 on: November 01, 2017, 03:10:58 am »
... and its *DUMB* with a capital 'D'.   If one's finances are so tight that you cant find the equivalent of five  burger meals extra from your wallet or bank account, the last thing you need to do is blow $320 on a laptop when you already have access to a computer.  The *only* way it would make any sense would be if you know you can immediately flip it for over $500 and plan to do so.

its too late now deal for the laptop finished i did have $100 on me but no way to get it on paypal i have found sites online to convert skrill payment to paypal payment but scared they might be a scam 
MORE POWER!

Online IanB

• Super Contributor
« Reply #8 on: November 01, 2017, 04:40:48 am »
its too late now deal for the laptop finished i did have $100 on me but no way to get it on paypal i have found sites online to convert skrill payment to paypal payment but scared they might be a scam

Seems like you were lucky then. It is rarely if ever a good idea to spend your last dollar on a rushed purchase. You will just end up poor and unhappy. Be grateful you didn't do a foolish thing.

Offline Halcyon

• Global Moderator
« Reply #9 on: November 01, 2017, 05:58:50 am »
Seems like you were lucky then. It is rarely if ever a good idea to spend your last dollar on a rushed purchase. You will just end up poor and unhappy. Be grateful you didn't do a foolish thing.

Good advice. Even if something was the best deal in the world, if you can't afford it, it's a bad deal! Budget for next time, sales like this come along all the time.

Online Ian.M

• Super Contributor
« Reply #10 on: November 01, 2017, 06:15:40 am »
+1
There'lll be other deals along shortly, probably in the January sales, so you have time to work out your budget so you have convertible funds available up to your self-imposed spending limit.   A few searches didn't show up any legitimate method of converting directly between PayPal and Skrill or visa-versa - they are competitors and don't cooperate - so you would be relying on the reputation of a 3rd party ecurrency exchange.  IMHO you dodged a bullet there.  Do your research before using any exchange service, or better yet, if you cant use the finds directly for planned purchases, convert in plenty of time ahead via your own bank account.

Offline retiredcaps

• Super Contributor
« Reply #11 on: November 01, 2017, 06:16:27 am »
I rarely, if ever, comment on off topic forum posts, but according to a 2016 survey, nearly half of Canadians are living paycheque to paycheque.

http://business.financialpost.com/personal-finance/retirement/nearly-half-of-canadians-living-paycheque-to-paycheque-and-that-has-big-consequences-for-retirement-security

"Far from being confident about a comfortable retirement, 48 per cent of the 5,600 working Canadians surveyed by the Canadian Payroll Association say it would be hard to make ends meet if their paycheque were delayed even a single week, according to the Canadian Payroll Association (CPA)’s eighth annual Research Survey of Employed Canadians, which is being released Wednesday.

Almost one in four (24%) don’t think they could come up with $2,000 if an emergency arose in the next month."

In addition, Lottery win is retirement plan for 34% of poll respondents (2014).

http://www.cbc.ca/news/business/lottery-win-is-retirement-plan-for-34-of-poll-respondents-1.2517046

People just buy too much stuff that they don't need or live beyond their means.  Reckoning day will come for 50% of Canadians someday.

PS. This will be my only comment in this post and won't be following anymore of it.

Offline BradC

• Super Contributor
« Reply #12 on: November 01, 2017, 08:01:04 am »
Ignoring completely the original post and relevant moralizing

I rarely, if ever, comment on off topic forum posts, but according to a 2016 survey, nearly half of Canadians are living paycheque to paycheque.

That's a pretty scary statistic, but I know a lot of people here that are in a similar boat and I wouldn't be surprised if it was a first world phenomenon. Banks continually offering increased credit limits and hooking up with retailers to offer insane interest free periods.

The scourge here at the moment are "payday lenders". Small and relatively instant loans with massive interest rates. They get the first bite at your paycheque for the repayment leaving you short for the month, so you rack up another little loan to tide you over, and on it goes until bad things happen. Then again, look at how many people struggle with their utility bills (which are admittedly skyrocketing) but still have the latest iPhone and activewear.

Offline Simon

• Global Moderator
    • Simon's Electronics
« Reply #13 on: November 01, 2017, 08:04:48 am »
People these days can't manage money, in the UK the smaller the house the huger the TV and then they complaint about the cost of living. But there is also a wage crisis here in the UK. I think more than half are living from payday to payday, I don't exactly have much in reserve myself....

Offline Halcyon

• Global Moderator
« Reply #14 on: November 01, 2017, 08:29:09 am »
Same in Australia (especially in Sydney, Melbourne and Brisbane). SO many people are living week-to-week (or whatever their pay cycle is). If they are among the fortunate minority who are paying off their own house, many are under mortgage stress paying off over-capitalised homes, in "fancy" new designer suburbs which will become slums 20 years down the track (or at the very least, worth no where near as much as what they initially paid).

Our mortgage interest rates are ridiculously low at the moment, if you're paying over 4% per annum, you're paying too much (I just refinanced my mortgage at 3.64% pa.). If I really spent the time and effort to shop around and negotiate, I could probably get it under 3.60%.

Mortgages aside, the best thing I ever did was save until I could afford to live at least "one month in advance". So whatever money I earn this month, go towards next month's bills and expenses. As for the stuff that falls due this month, there is already money sitting in my bank account, so I just pay them when they roll in.

The attached document will give you a good idea on how to manage a budget (if you don't know already) and yes, full disclosure: I'm a user of YNAB (and have been for years). The best $30 I've ever spent was a licence for that bit of software and it's kept my budget on-track and saving money ever since.

« Last Edit: November 01, 2017, 08:35:13 am by Halcyon »

Offline Simon

• Global Moderator
    • Simon's Electronics
« Reply #15 on: November 01, 2017, 08:50:54 am »
Well fortunately I bought my house during the price crash and fixed myself for 5 years @ 1.94%, my payments are £213 per month and going down as I overpay by as much as £150 a month as i see bad times ahead.

Offline Halcyon

• Global Moderator
« Reply #16 on: November 01, 2017, 08:52:32 am »
Well fortunately I bought my house during the price crash and fixed myself for 5 years @ 1.94%, my payments are £213 per month and going down as I overpay by as much as £150 a month as i see bad times ahead.

Winner winner, chicken dinner!

Offline Brumby

• Supporter
« Reply #17 on: November 01, 2017, 09:09:07 am »

Champion!

Offline tggzzz

• Super Contributor
  • Numbers, not adjectives
    • Having fun doing more, with less
« Reply #18 on: November 01, 2017, 09:10:29 am »
I overpay by as much as £150 a month as i see bad times ahead.

Overpayment is very wise in the long term, if you can afford the short-term hit. It is always an interesting decision as to how much cash you should keep on hand.

There can be some "funnies" w.r.t. overpayment of conventional repayment mortgages. The core point is that the money might be going into a hole (i.e. reducing neither the repayments nor the term), and only pops out again once a year. If that is the case then it might be preferable to find out when it "pops out", and only put the overpayment in just before that happens.
There are lies, damned lies, statistics - and ADC/DAC specs.
Glider pilot's aphorism: "there is no substitute for span". Retort: "There is a substitute: skill+imagination. But you can buy span".
Having fun doing more, with less

Offline Halcyon

• Global Moderator
« Reply #19 on: November 01, 2017, 09:12:57 am »
Overpayment is very wise in the long term, if you can afford the short-term hit. It is always an interesting decision as to how much cash you should keep on hand.

Overpayment is wise on any debt that accrues interest or fees (think credit cards) but you won't be penalised by paying it off early. Every dollar helps, even if it's an extra $50 a month. The key is not to draw down on that loan, just cut up the credit card unless you're disciplined enough to use it "properly".
« Last Edit: November 01, 2017, 09:14:28 am by Halcyon »

Offline forrestc

• Supporter
« Reply #20 on: November 01, 2017, 10:15:58 am »
Overpayment is wise on any debt that accrues interest or fees (think credit cards) but you won't be penalised by paying it off early. Every dollar helps, even if it's an extra $50 a month. The key is not to draw down on that loan, just cut up the credit card unless you're disciplined enough to use it "properly".

The following is for people who have the discipline to manage money correctly:

Unless you can stick the money in a bank which makes more interest than the loan is costing you.    If my mortgage was 1.95% I wouldn't be paying off it anytime soon, at least while the economy was good.   Especially since in the US mortgage interest is deductable for most people, so the effective cost of money is even less.   I'm sure I could find somewhere to stick some money which would earn more than 1.95%.   But that's in the US which currently has a growing economy again.

Keep in mind that this is coming from someone who just refinanced from a 30 year mortgage into a 15 year one with a lower interest rate, only increasing my payment by 10% or so.    So I am also very mindful of how paying things earlier makes a big difference on long term loans.

Offline Mr. Scram

• Super Contributor
  • Display aficionado
« Reply #21 on: November 01, 2017, 11:45:13 am »
I know a few people wanted to buy badly during the price crash, but couldn't due to banks only loaning money to those who didn't really need it in the first place. I've seen otherwise healthy companies nearly go bankrupt because of this practice.

Offline Simon

• Global Moderator
    • Simon's Electronics
« Reply #22 on: November 01, 2017, 05:28:04 pm »

The following is for people who have the discipline to manage money correctly:

Unless you can stick the money in a bank which makes more interest than the loan is costing you.    If my mortgage was 1.95% I wouldn't be paying off it anytime soon, at least while the economy was good.   Especially since in the US mortgage interest is deductable for most people, so the effective cost of money is even less.   I'm sure I could find somewhere to stick some money which would earn more than 1.95%.   But that's in the US which currently has a growing economy again.

Keep in mind that this is coming from someone who just refinanced from a 30 year mortgage into a 15 year one with a lower interest rate, only increasing my payment by 10% or so.    So I am also very mindful of how paying things earlier makes a big difference on long term loans.

that is what I have advocated for a while but one has to be disciplined and i never know what may happen in the future, already my house is again worth more than I could afford if I bought it now. I do do an amount of P2P lending but I think there is a psychological factor in reducing the debt too.

Offline Simon

• Global Moderator
    • Simon's Electronics
« Reply #23 on: November 01, 2017, 05:37:20 pm »
I know a few people wanted to buy badly during the price crash, but couldn't due to banks only loaning money to those who didn't really need it in the first place. I've seen otherwise healthy companies nearly go bankrupt because of this practice.

In fact i got this house for less than the asking price, 5K less to be precise and they had a number of people before me come with the intention of buying but then not able to get the mortgage. I used the house as an example with my bank and was able to assure them that I already had approval and that if they wanted a no hassle sale from a first time buyer not stuck in a chain I was ready. Unfortunately I did not realize that this is the area they put the low level criminals in. It's not too bad but not my first choice of area but I've got no hope at all of moving, a house I bought for £87'500 with a 30K help from family maxing out my then allowance of 4x loan to pay ratio is now worth £120'000 - £130'000 judging by similar houses, so even if I wanted to move to a comparable area on 25K a year I'm pretty screwed, once upon a time a house cost 3 times your annual salary (granted interest was higher), now it's just insane and those on "0 hour" contracts have no hope in hell of a mortgage, so with prices that high they are forced into renting at exorbitant prices, I could rent this place for 3 times my mortgage payments, which is something at the back of my mind and why i want it to e mine asap. If i can make it mine i can use it as collateral for another house and to pay the mortgage on that house..... as an ongoing debt it's no good to me.

Offline basinstreetdesign

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #24 on: November 02, 2017, 02:01:54 am »

:-+ :-+ :-+
Yeah, overpay whenever you can manage it!  Its money in the bank and more so.

When we bought our house (very modest semi) we paid the mortgage bi-weekly instead of monthly.  This means that each year an entire months payment went directly to the principle, not the interest.  It immediately shortened our amortization to 16 years from 25.  Then balloon payments whenever we could shortened it again to 11 1/2 years.  So our house was paid off and we were mortgage-free in less than 1/2 the normal time and meant we could save some real money for a change.  Best decision we ever made.
STAND BACK!  I'm going to try SCIENCE!

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf