Author Topic: Can anyone identify this Motorola Pager model?  (Read 805 times)

Offline HalcyonTopic starter

• Global Moderator
Can anyone identify this Motorola Pager model?
« on: March 15, 2024, 07:34:03 am »
Unfortunately the label on the back has rubbed off through years of use.

Ultimately, I'm trying to track down the right programming cable for this pager. It takes a proprietary 4-pin connector to DB-9.

Online ebastler

• Super Contributor
Re: Can anyone identify this Motorola Pager model?
« Reply #1 on: March 15, 2024, 11:07:53 am »

;)

The following users thanked this post: vk6zgo, tom66, nctnico, cosmicray, tooki, Haenk, sarge

Offline TheSteve

• Supporter
  • Living the Dream
« Reply #2 on: March 15, 2024, 03:21:40 pm »
I had a lot of pagers back in the day but never that model - it is probably from the end of Motorolas time making pagers.
I wonder if it has a password...
VE7FM

• Global Moderator
« Reply #3 on: March 17, 2024, 07:16:45 am »
I had a lot of pagers back in the day but never that model - it is probably from the end of Motorolas time making pagers.
I wonder if it has a password...

This is actually my personal pager from many years ago when I was in the fire brigade. I've owned it since new but I think they discontinued this since I don't think it allows for dates past 2002-2004 (something like that).

It actually still receives messages in the VHF band since the capcodes are programmed into non-voltetile memory and are still in use today (most fire brigades here have their own frequency licences and still operate today, since it "just works").

Being VHF and a fairly high power output, the coverage is over hundreds of kilometers.

Offline indeterminate

• Contributor
« Reply #4 on: March 17, 2024, 09:58:45 am »
Its probably easier to open it up and workout what is Tx Rx Ground & Power
is the connector 4 pads in the battery compartment
I haven't seen that model , what state where they used in

• Global Moderator
« Reply #5 on: March 17, 2024, 09:00:09 pm »
Its probably easier to open it up and workout what is Tx Rx Ground & Power
is the connector 4 pads in the battery compartment
I haven't seen that model , what state where they used in

Yes, the programming header is inside the battery compartment. It would be trivial to work out which pin is which, but connecting to it would be tricky without soldering onto the pads.

These were used throughout NSW. They then switched over to the Commtech pagers, likely because they were far cheaper than the Motorola. No surprises, the Motorola still works today, the Commtech one is dead and doesn't even power on anymore.

Offline sleemanj

• Super Contributor
  • Professional tightwad.
    • The electronics hobby components I sell.
« Reply #6 on: March 17, 2024, 10:53:16 pm »
Here's one on Pinterest that looks the same, maybe post a comment there you might get lucky...

https://www.pinterest.nz/pin/455989530993340590/
~~~
EEVBlog Members - get yourself 10% discount off all my electronic components for sale just use the Buy Direct links and use Coupon Code "eevblog" during checkout.  Shipping from New Zealand, international orders welcome :-)

Offline TheSteve

• Supporter
  • Living the Dream
« Reply #7 on: March 18, 2024, 08:47:15 pm »
Do you have the programming interface(you can always makes one of course, I did years ago). And you'll need to find the software specific to that model pager.
VE7FM

• Global Moderator
« Reply #8 on: March 18, 2024, 11:05:17 pm »
Do you have the programming interface(you can always makes one of course, I did years ago). And you'll need to find the software specific to that model pager.

I have the software but no cable. This is what I'm trying to source. I guess I could cobble one together.

Offline vk6zgo

• Super Contributor
« Reply #9 on: March 19, 2024, 12:11:49 am »
I used pagers a lot in my days looking after TV transmitters.

There were actually quite a few "false alarms".
With the plain "alarm" type, it was just a matter of ringing work, who would verify if it was a real callout, but the alphanumeric ones could be quite hilarious.

One day I received one saying, "Amanda on tonight's flight, wear your red Jocks".

I could just imagine Amanda waiting at the airport to be picked up, with her wrath rising moment by moment towards the correct addressee, who meantime, was trying to decipher some gobbledygook about TV transmitters!

The following users thanked this post: Halcyon

• Global Moderator
« Reply #10 on: March 19, 2024, 06:46:16 am »
One day I received one saying, "Amanda on tonight's flight, wear your red Jocks".

I assume "Amanda" was the secretary?  ;D

Offline vk6zgo

• Super Contributor
« Reply #11 on: March 19, 2024, 01:40:20 pm »

I assume "Amanda" was the secretary?  ;D

Your guess is as good as mine! ;D

Online coppice

• Super Contributor
« Reply #12 on: March 19, 2024, 01:46:08 pm »
In most places the entire network was rubbed out long ago. Do you still have a compatible network running in your area? I know a few still exist. They will get a message through in weak areas where cellular won't.

I remember those pagers, but I've no idea of the model name after all these years. Is your one POCSAG or FLEX? I guess if the network moved on to Commtech pagers it would be POCSAG.

• Global Moderator
« Reply #13 on: March 19, 2024, 10:58:03 pm »
In most places the entire network was rubbed out long ago. Do you still have a compatible network running in your area? I know a few still exist. They will get a message through in weak areas where cellular won't.

I remember those pagers, but I've no idea of the model name after all these years. Is your one POCSAG or FLEX? I guess if the network moved on to Commtech pagers it would be POCSAG.

Yes, this pager still receives messages from the fire brigade's network. None of the old capcodes have changed. Each region operates they own network/infrastructure, although a lot of areas have since switched over to more modern notification methods.

To my knowledge there are no "public" pager networks left, such as those operated by pager companies or telcos. They went a long time ago.

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf