Author Topic: Can Switch with Faulty Cable Damage Electronics?  (Read 970 times)

Offline Boris_yoTopic starter

• Frequent Contributor
Can Switch with Faulty Cable Damage Electronics?
« on: October 24, 2021, 12:52:13 pm »
Hello,

I ordered cheap USB switch to supply constant power to my small security home camera. I used a power bank to power it but it was inconvenient.

Months ago that switch worked good. I left it collecting dust for a few months until I decided to do the wiring and use it for camera. I tested switch again by collecting small USB light. I noticed that connection was not stable and I had to bend the cord at certain degree for it to work:

https://streamable.com/7z4hqm

Question though. Should I keep it that way as on a photo below or throw it away and buy a new switch? Despite consistent power supply, are there still varying power that can damage camera?

Thanks.

Online madires

• Super Contributor
  • A qualified hobbyist ;)
Re: Can Switch with Faulty Cable Damage Electronics?
« Reply #1 on: October 24, 2021, 02:29:23 pm »
Most likely a broken wire. Cheap USB cables have usually only very thin wires with a few strands, causing also a high wire resistance. Better replace the cheap wire with a more suitable one. You could buy an USB extension cable, cut it in two halves and recycle the switch (does look like a power cord switch). The camera should survive short "power outages", but the bad cable might create some noticeable voltage drop.

The following users thanked this post: Boris_yo

Offline Boris_yoTopic starter

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #2 on: October 25, 2021, 02:42:04 am »
By recycle switch you mean continue using it?
Never cut USB cord and not familiar with which cords transfer data and which transfer power. Haven't used soldering equipment many years too by way.

Offline coppercone2

• Super Contributor
  • $
« Reply #3 on: October 25, 2021, 02:50:12 am »
essentially if its a data line its OK but if its a power or ground line it could be a fire hazard/overheating hazard since it might be prone to getting hot in a nonlinear fashion when its used broken.

Online madires

• Super Contributor
  • A qualified hobbyist ;)
« Reply #4 on: October 25, 2021, 11:02:47 am »
Never cut USB cord and not familiar with which cords transfer data and which transfer power. Haven't used soldering equipment many years too by way.

Yes. It's up to you to decide what to do.

Offline NiHaoMike

• Super Contributor
  • "Don't turn it on - Take it apart!"
    • Facebook Page
« Reply #5 on: October 25, 2021, 12:42:49 pm »
Great time to learn! Carefully cut back the plastic around the USB port and you might be able to resolder the bad connection.
Cryptocurrency has taught me to love math and at the same time be baffled by it.

Cryptocurrency lesson 0: Altcoins and Bitcoin are not the same thing.

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf