Author Topic: Can you destroy your monitor with a scope probe ?  (Read 327 times)

Offline Jan Audio

• Frequent Contributor
Can you destroy your monitor with a scope probe ?
« on: April 08, 2021, 01:58:06 pm »
Hi, can you break computer equipment with probing your scope wrong.

My setup :
PicKit 3 --> breadboard
Old CRT scope.

I accidently placed the scope ground on the 5 volt.
Then my computerscreen go mad flickering.

Have you ever broken your computer with a PicKit/scope ?

Offline MK14

• Super Contributor
Re: Can you destroy your monitor with a scope probe ?
« Reply #1 on: April 08, 2021, 03:07:27 pm »
can you break computer equipment with probing your scope wrong.
Yes.

The following users thanked this post: Jan Audio

Offline PwrElectronics

• Contributor
« Reply #2 on: April 08, 2021, 04:14:24 pm »
When I read the title...

Reminded me of being at a customer site once, mid 00's.  They had a fancy newish Lecroy with a touch screen.  There was a nasty gouge/dent on the touch screen plastic overlay.  Those scopes came with a plastic stylus (aka stick) to use so as not to get fingerprints on the touch screen.  So, it was admitted when I asked that someone lost their footing/balance leaning over some gear under test to access the scope and said stylus got jabbed into the screen.

We've since had some Lecroy scopes at work that also come with this stylus that conveniently slides into a slot in the faceplate for storage and you'd not know it was there unless someone mentioned it.  I don't mention it....

I could see this happening with a probe too if one was using it that way for some reason.

Fortunately, I've never damaged my laptop in the lab except for that time I was removing a 0805 resistor from a board and it got "flicked" off the PCB and landed on the laptop nearby that had the layout file open on the screen and melted itself into the plastic near the touch pad.

The following users thanked this post: amyk, MK14

Offline m98

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #3 on: April 08, 2021, 11:11:04 pm »
Reminded me of being at a customer site once, mid 00's.  They had a fancy newish Lecroy with a touch screen.  There was a nasty gouge/dent on the touch screen plastic overlay. 
We have a touchscreen Lecroy of that age with such damage in the lab. So that might be the way that happened...

Offline Fred27

• Supporter
    • Fred's blog
« Reply #4 on: April 09, 2021, 07:32:45 am »
Yes. I once destroyed my BBC model B computer by not knowing the scope probe was grounded. (That must have been the 80s when I was about 15. I was really pleased I hadn't destroyed the scope that I'd borrowed from school.)
« Last Edit: April 09, 2021, 07:34:29 am by Fred27 »

The following users thanked this post: MK14

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf