Author Topic: Can youtube STEM videos from universities replace higher learning?  (Read 4365 times)

Offline eti

• Super Contributor
  • !
  • MOD: a.k.a Unlokia, glossywhite, iamwhoiam etc
Re: Can youtube STEM videos from universities replace higher learning?
« Reply #25 on: October 12, 2021, 08:14:08 pm »
Can a photo of a bowl of rice nourish you as much as a bowl of rice?

:palm:

Online daqq

• Super Contributor
    • My site
« Reply #26 on: October 13, 2021, 06:57:23 am »
Can a photo of a bowl of rice nourish you as much as a bowl of rice?

:palm:
That's not a reasonable comparison. While this kind of education does lack many of the benefits of a real University education, it is far from worthless. It is also a great supplement to it.
Believe it or not, pointy haired people do exist!
+++Divide By Cucumber Error. Please Reinstall Universe And Reboot +++

Offline PKTKS

• Super Contributor
« Reply #27 on: October 13, 2021, 11:57:43 am »
College is a lot more than learning a topic or getting a credential. A degree demonstrates to an employer (or anyone really) that you can set a goal and achieve it, that you can 'play the game,' that you can work on teams with other people you probable don't know, that you have education in areas beyond your field, that you can probably communicate effectively, and on it goes.

I spent a lot of time in Academia...

My bottom line conclusion is that Corporate IT is a Whorehouse Nazi Mafia...  :palm:

**BUT**  You made me rethink the perspective quite a bit...

More like a gymkhana   for PETs..
Roll over .. swing your tail do not  growl  and do not question..
Fill the circuit in time and be a good pit bull

Nirvana came t o my mind instantly..  :wtf:
they are right  ::)

cheers
Paul

Online Rick Law

• Super Contributor
« Reply #28 on: October 13, 2021, 06:49:07 pm »
College is a lot more than learning a topic or getting a credential. A degree demonstrates to an employer (or anyone really) that you can set a goal and achieve it, that you can 'play the game,' that you can work on teams with other people you probable don't know, that you have education in areas beyond your field, that you can probably communicate effectively, and on it goes.

I spent a lot of time in Academia...

My bottom line conclusion is that Corporate IT is a Whorehouse Nazi Mafia...  :palm:

**BUT**  You made me rethink the perspective quite a bit...

More like a gymkhana   for PETs..
Roll over .. swing your tail do not  growl  and do not question..
Fill the circuit in time and be a good pit bull

Nirvana came t o my mind instantly..  :wtf:
they are right  ::)

cheers
Paul

re: "...My bottom line conclusion is that Corporate IT is a Whorehouse Nazi Mafia...  :palm:"

It is not just Corporate IT.  I bet you, 9 of out a 10 companies/corporations, Corporate Marketing/Sales would be worst, and Corporate "HR" would even beat Marketing/Sales.  If you even made a joke in the present of anyone who may object, HR will come down on you like a ton of bricks.

re: "College is a lot more than learning a topic or getting a credential...that you can probably communicate effectively, and on it goes."

That really is the point of going to College, you can get a well rounded education.  As important as demonstrating "...you can work on teams with other people...", it also allows you to demonstrate when given a goal, you got it done.  College, like any other projects at work one must complete, there are tasks (subjects) within the project you love doing and there are tasks you are uninterested in or even hate doing.  But, when you graduated, it is statement that "I got it done - even the unpleasant tasks".

That said, no doubt college education is on a decline.  I do not have the same "feel of quality" I got from recent graduates as compared to graduates who did it say a 15 years ago.  Then, I knew many who were working part time, or even full time to pay for college while taking what would be considered hard courses.  Now, I see more coasting with their student loans enjoying "studying abroad" for part of their college years.

Oregon dept. of education email newsletter said: "asking math student to show their work is racist."  This is not a direct quote because they use terms much stronger than "racist" and I do not feel comfortable repeating it even in quotes.  I will leave you to read the link from a couple of sources.
https://www.dailywire.com/news/asking-students-to-show-their-work-in-math-class-is-a-form-of-white-supremacy
https://www.snopes.com/fact-check/education-oregon/

That mindset will no doubt sip into higher ed, and then to college soon enough.  Personally, I have done math tutoring to supplement my income since high school till graduate school (by then I was a paid TA).  I don't know a better way to see where the student went wrong without seeing their work.

I was paying a lot of attention to education when my kid was young.  My concerns grows as the calendar moved forward.  I am glad my kid is now a college graduate.  I don't have to worry about that anymore..

But in truth, I worry very much how we are training kids.  Kids are our future.  I worry that in the near future, we may not have the knowledge (spread within the society to adequate depth) to support an economy comparable to today with a the standard of living we are accustomed.

Offline PKTKS

• Super Contributor
« Reply #29 on: October 13, 2021, 07:07:55 pm »
It is not just Corporate IT.  I bet you, 9 of out a 10 companies/corporations, Corporate Marketing/Sales would be worst, and Corporate "HR" would even beat Marketing/Sales.  If you even made a joke in the present of anyone who may object, HR will come down on you like a ton of bricks.
(..)

That is true..

HR NAZI MAFIA wants to put nice pitbulls on a short leash ...
Patronize them until they got whatever it fits..

They have a big EXPENDABLE PET SHOP  to gather from..

Sick mentality... deliberately coming from Academia ..

I got sick of it,

Paul

Offline Just_another_Dave

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #30 on: October 13, 2021, 08:56:24 pm »

re: "College is a lot more than learning a topic or getting a credential...that you can probably communicate effectively, and on it goes."

That really is the point of going to College, you can get a well rounded education.  As important as demonstrating "...you can work on teams with other people...", it also allows you to demonstrate when given a goal, you got it done.  College, like any other projects at work one must complete, there are tasks (subjects) within the project you love doing and there are tasks you are uninterested in or even hate doing.  But, when you graduated, it is statement that "I got it done - even the unpleasant tasks".

That said, no doubt college education is on a decline.  I do not have the same "feel of quality" I got from recent graduates as compared to graduates who did it say a 15 years ago.  Then, I knew many who were working part time, or even full time to pay for college while taking what would be considered hard courses.  Now, I see more coasting with their student loans enjoying "studying abroad" for part of their college years.

When I was studying I got a part time job at one of the labs of the university. I think it was one of the best decisions I’ve ever taken, as it allowed me to learn a lot about power electronics (I loved that job indeed). That experience clearly makes a difference if you want to design electronic circuits.

However, many other students just wanted the degree to get a job at a strategic consultancy firm…

Offline Bassman59

• Super Contributor
  • Yes, I do this for a living
« Reply #31 on: October 14, 2021, 04:07:12 am »
If you register and get a .edu email account, MATLAB is free!

MATLAB (student version (FREE) or personal version (costs money))

Must be US deal only. Never saw free MATLAB for students or home users (exclude who has access via college/uni), you either buy a book or pay around ~$40 for base plus ~$10 for each interested package.

My wife works for the local public Land Grant Research University (the one with the shitty football team that's a drain on resources) and there's a decent list of software which is site licensed for students, faculty and staff. So I have MATLAB with the signal processing and the FPGA generation packages. It's possible these deals are either US-only, or on a per-institution basis.

The other option is what @rstofer chose, a "personal" license which is actually quite reasonably priced.

Offline RJSV

• Super Contributor
« Reply #32 on: October 17, 2021, 03:42:51 am »
rstofer has it right, regarding having 100 percent on-line missing the human interactive benefits.
  During COVID I experience INCOMPATENCE delivery, as 'they' sit, in bedroom 'study' areas.
   Can't hear them, in their masks, as they spout simple nonsense, stupid bookcase set up behind them.
Literally, I'm going to remember, bookcases, those stupid fake bookcases.
  One public service agency seemed way to focused, on that phoney, mock-up 'bedroom office', and new rules, now, you get 2 tries, to answer your phone call-back.
I can't hear most of the incompetence, and, oh shiii, another mask just broke, putting it on.
  That about sums it up: Required masks, too cheaply made, 4 out of 10 break, as you try to attach elastic around face... (Sigh...)

Offline RJSV

• Super Contributor
« Reply #33 on: October 17, 2021, 05:06:45 am »
Uh, previous post, not meant to focus on COVID Dynamics, what I mean is the bedroom office, along with all the various media based training, cannot replace or supersede the regular face to face dynamic.
   When I have a person, I have to interact with, a regular face to face meeting, (with a lawyer), he wants to 'glance' at some documents I've brought to the meeting, no big deal.
Today, he is going to ask: Please FAX SCAN and those.
...That's like 24 pages, ( $ 1.50 per page, at store).

I just feel, many of these 'remote' solutions fall short and encourage (incompetence), while focus on many distractions, not tolerated in a 'real' office setting.

A book store owner, other day, didn't want to open door, transact my paid order,... now that's just bad feeling, all around. This temporary state of business, it's no model for future.

Offline armandine2

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #34 on: October 17, 2021, 09:16:10 pm »
https://www.math.uchicago.edu/~luis/pde/wave.html

a distraction, of sorts, is to try and draw an initial cosine wave displacement with sinusoidal velocity that appears to stand still.
Funny, the things you have the hardest time parting with are the things you need the least - Bob Dylan

Offline Galenbo

• Super Contributor
« Reply #35 on: November 01, 2021, 12:45:07 pm »
No. About 50% of otherwise smart people fail higher education. It is not just soaking up knowledge, you need to be able to do it in a certain timeframe, and under stress, being able to prepare to several tests at the same time. Having a degree is not that you know which way the electrons flow, but a certificate for that.

Most dropouts I saw missed 1 important property:
Being able to shut up, sit down, do what is asked, don't ask questions, and wait.

And now, 30 years later, I see it was also the most important property that was needed in careers.

If you try and take a cat apart to see how it works, the first thing you have on your hands is a nonworking cat.

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf