Author Topic: Canon Legria HF M406 external mic and remote mod  (Read 2024 times)

Offline xarragonTopic starter

Canon Legria HF M406 external mic and remote mod
« on: February 13, 2016, 08:22:11 pm »
Hello fellow EEV fans, I have a Canon Legria HF M406, a camera I am very happy with. I have started to make some video blogs for fun, got a studio light cheap on a garage sale, 1350W incandescent. Problem is it has a fan, somewhat noisy. My home is also is, freeway outside. So I have been thinking about an external microphone. Either I hack in something on the Canon camera (warranty expired) or I use an external recorder, either a smartphone with an USB mic or  a Zoom H2N or similar. But all that money could really go to a good microphone instead.

Canon's "Mini Advanced Shoe" on the top allows you to mount their external microphones, DM-100 and SM-V1:

https://www.canon-europe.com/for_home/product_finder/camcorders/high_definition_hd/legria_hf_m406/#p-accessories

They also support high-powered lamps, so there is probably enough power to drive a phantom XLR supply if you want to go wild. Datasheet also states that the internal system handles 5.1 audio (through the SM-V1 microphone).

"Canon uses a non-ISO-based 13+1 pin hot shoe, named Mini Advanced Shoe on some of its camcorders."

Anyone have more info on these pins? I found more people asking online, but no real data.

The reason I ask here is because I know David used one of this cameras in the early stages of his blogging career. I was hoping someone might be familiar with it (and video audio in general). I will experiment a bit more with moving the lamp away and changing the directionality of the builtin microphone.

LANC input would also be very nice to hack in. This was removed by Canon to segment the prosumer and consumer market. They do the same with their DSLR:s (with other features ofc).

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf