Author Topic: EEVBLOG possible problem with site  (Read 4154 times)

Offline joeqsmithTopic starter

• Super Contributor
EEVBLOG possible problem with site
« on: February 24, 2017, 12:59:08 pm »
These new ads that appear on the lower part of the menu with their loud audio tracks appear to slow down the site.  Maybe they are not related but seems when they run them, the menus become non-responsive.  The non-video/audio ads don't seem to cause the problem.   Funny as I can stream YT content at the same time with no problems.  Hard to believe an anti smoking ad would stall it. 
« Last Edit: February 25, 2017, 03:55:44 am by joeqsmith »

• Super Contributor
Re: CDC Health Smoking Commercials Slowing Down Connection?
« Reply #1 on: February 24, 2017, 01:06:38 pm »
Wow, this is really bad. Same two commercials over and over.  I can tell when one is about to play as the site won't accept key inputs and sometimes the menu loses focus.  Strange an ad can cripple a site like this.   Could be the browser.  IE11 545 on Windows 10.

Offline rrinker

• Super Contributor
« Reply #2 on: February 24, 2017, 01:38:34 pm »
 I do not see those on here. And I have adblock disabled so as not to cheat Dave out of ad revenue. I DO see ads like that pop up on Facebook and they are EXTREMELY annoying as you cannot stop the video from playing or mute the sound. And I too primarily still use IE, with some Chrome sprinkled in.

Offline james_s

• Super Contributor
« Reply #3 on: February 24, 2017, 09:13:10 pm »
I *hate* any sort of auto-play video, especially with audio. It's absolutely obnoxious!

Install Adblock, problem solved. Yes, it will deprive some entities of income but they dug this hole themselves. Had ads not become so obnoxious and intrusive I never would have gone to such lengths to banish them from my life.

The following users thanked this post: nugglix

• Super Contributor
« Reply #4 on: February 25, 2017, 03:54:46 am »
This seems to be something new with this site.  It's never been a problem until 2/23/17 or so.  Connection speeds are fairly good. 

I ran various scans, PC seems clean.  Running Windows 10.  Problem happens with IE 11 as well as Edge.  Problem appears unique to Dave's EEVBLOG site.   Basically, typing and will loose focus.  It seems like it keeps wanting to run a script.  I have nothing really turned on in the browser and no plugins (for edge or ie)   

I made a short clip to hopefully better describe what I am seeing.  What is really strange is the whole time I have typed this, no problems.  BUT... The ads are showing up in the bottom now and they were not when I made the video.  Maybe one ad is some sort of problem.  This morning it was the same ad over and over about smoking being bad for you. 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=glKpoVsQgU8&feature=youtu.be

Online EEVblog

• Administrator
    • EEVblog
Re: EEVBLOG possible problem with site
« Reply #5 on: February 25, 2017, 04:06:50 am »
These new ads that appear on the lower part of the menu with their loud audio tracks appear to slow down the site.  Maybe they are not related but seems when they run them, the menus become non-responsive.  The non-video/audio ads don't seem to cause the problem.   Funny as I can stream YT content at the same time with no problems.  Hard to believe an anti smoking ad would stall it.

Sorry, I have no idea what ads you are referring to?  :-//
Nothing has changed recently

• Super Contributor
« Reply #6 on: February 25, 2017, 04:14:03 am »
It sure seems tied to the ads at the bottom.  It was just doing it again and the ad was blank like in the video.  I selected the X in the ad, the problem went away and the next ad ran.  Scratching my head.  I have not installed any new software or made any changes to the PC.   

Offline MrBungle

• Supporter
« Reply #7 on: February 25, 2017, 04:14:55 am »
Nothing like that for me, only ever seen static banners.

• Super Contributor
« Reply #8 on: February 25, 2017, 04:19:25 am »
When the ad looks like this, it will start to flash and (like right now!!) I can select the X, things will once again work.

I can install an ad blocker but assume this is partly how Dave makes a living.  I am using his site after all.   

Online metrologist

• Super Contributor
« Reply #9 on: February 25, 2017, 04:23:33 am »
I do not these ads and the site has not changed for me. I tried in Edge and no issue either.

• Super Contributor
« Reply #10 on: February 25, 2017, 05:18:18 am »
Tried a few more malware scanners.  Nothing.  AdBlock installed, all is normal again.

googlesyndication seems to be the root of the problem.

If there is another way around it, let me know.  I don't mind the ads but when the stop you from using the PC, it's pointless.

I feel like having a smoke now.

Online EEVblog

• Administrator
    • EEVblog
« Reply #11 on: February 25, 2017, 06:36:50 am »
These are just normal Google Adsense ads. I have little control of what is displayed.

Offline bitseeker

• Super Contributor
  • Lots of engineer-tweakable parts inside!
« Reply #12 on: February 25, 2017, 07:46:42 am »
In your Adsense account, there's a section where you can review ads and reject ones you don't want to appear on your site. See if this pesky one is in there.

You can also block ads that are in particular categories of subject matter and, separately, those that fall into sensitive categories.
TEA is the way. | TEA Time channel

Offline kaz911

• Super Contributor
« Reply #13 on: February 25, 2017, 07:48:01 am »
Adsense distributed adverts are not allowed to start sound without user interaction - if they do report them to google. Click the little X in the top right corner and report the advert. :)

• Super Contributor
« Reply #14 on: February 25, 2017, 07:42:52 pm »
I installed ad blocker on my tablet as well for the same reason.  The tablet was so busy with the ads on this site it was non responsive.  Strange it was really only a problem with this site. 

Thanks for the help.

Offline RGB255_0_0

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #15 on: February 25, 2017, 08:06:10 pm »
I'm sure the person who saw the anal beads advert was glad there was no sound.  :phew:
Your toaster just set fire to an African child over TCP.

• Super Contributor
« Reply #16 on: February 25, 2017, 08:22:44 pm »
There were some pretty bad ones I saw on YT's top ad.  Not something I would want young kids exposed to. 

Offline RGB255_0_0

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #17 on: February 25, 2017, 08:45:42 pm »
Agreed. As well as other content filters, an ad blocker is something all children's computers should have. Not just for adult-oriented adverts but due to the fact they end up installing all kinds of crap due to their naivety .

Offline Ampera

• Super Contributor
    • Ampera's Forums
« Reply #18 on: February 25, 2017, 09:38:33 pm »
Agreed. As well as other content filters, an ad blocker is something all children's computers should have. Not just for adult-oriented adverts but due to the fact they end up installing all kinds of crap due to their naivety .

Children should use computers with the same respect as guns, because they are about as dangerous. The sad part is that children aren't the only dumbasses that click on random ads. There are a sad amount of adults who do too.
I forget who I am sometimes, but then I remember that it's probably not worth remembering.
EEVBlog IRC Admin - Join us on irc.austnet.org #eevblog

Offline David Hess

• Super Contributor
  • DavidH
« Reply #19 on: February 25, 2017, 09:42:56 pm »
Adsense distributed adverts are not allowed to start sound without user interaction - if they do report them to google. Click the little X in the top right corner and report the advert. :)

It is not my responsibility to police Google's ads for them.  As long as automatically playing ads or ads that make noise are a problem, I will continue to block all ads.

Offline RGB255_0_0

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #20 on: February 25, 2017, 09:56:37 pm »

Children should use computers with the same respect as guns, because they are about as dangerous. The sad part is that children aren't the only dumbasses that click on random ads. There are a sad amount of adults who do too.
I certainly wouldn't use that analogy. And I wouldn't use that description if a child clicks the wrong link to Minecraft as a dumbass.

Offline Howardlong

• Super Contributor
« Reply #21 on: February 25, 2017, 10:18:35 pm »
Children should use computers with the same respect as guns, because they are about as dangerous.

Your evidence?

Offline SeanB

• Super Contributor
« Reply #22 on: February 26, 2017, 12:00:41 pm »
Pay Dave, and block the ads. He will make more from you sponsoring him on Patreon than from your views on ads in any case.

The following users thanked this post: dr.diesel

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf