Author Topic: CERN problems  (Read 3557 times)

Offline jimdeaneTopic starter

• Regular Contributor
CERN problems
« on: July 12, 2018, 05:13:32 pm »
You don't see this every day.  (From community tool cabinet at ISOLDE, CERN, Meyrin, Switzerland.)

« Last Edit: July 12, 2018, 05:25:33 pm by jimdeane »

Offline metrologist

• Super Contributor
Re: CERN problems
« Reply #1 on: July 12, 2018, 07:00:17 pm »
What if they took it on purpose  :box:

Offline tsman

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #2 on: July 12, 2018, 08:15:28 pm »
"Borrowing" equipment from neighbouring labs is a time honoured tradition in research >:D

Offline HoracioDos

• Frequent Contributor
  • Just an IT monkey with a DSO
« Reply #3 on: July 12, 2018, 08:21:40 pm »
What if they took it on purpose  :box:
Perhaps there's some rivalry between teams and they are stealing equipment from each other. I've seen this once before, programmers used to ransack ram memory like barbarians in a company that I used to work for.

Offline Mr. Scram

• Super Contributor
  • Display aficionado
« Reply #4 on: July 12, 2018, 09:05:03 pm »
Perhaps there's some rivalry between teams and they are stealing equipment from each other. I've seen this once before, programmers used to ransack ram memory like barbarians in a company that I used to work for.
Oh, that's all sorts of fun if the IT department finds out. You don't want to piss off IT. In terms of real power it might not be an impressive adversary, but in terms of the practical PITA they can be it ranks amongst the worst.

Offline CJay

• Super Contributor
« Reply #5 on: July 12, 2018, 09:08:28 pm »
Oh, that's all sorts of fun if the IT department finds out. You don't want to piss off IT. In terms of real power it might not be an impressive adversary, but in terms of the practical PITA they can be it ranks amongst the worst.

*Nods sagely*

We can be amazingly stubborn and make your life hell if we choose to.

Offline Red Squirrel

• Super Contributor
« Reply #6 on: July 12, 2018, 09:28:18 pm »
Out of all the problems that could potentially happen at CERN I suppose this is a pretty mild one.  ;D

Offline David Hess

• Super Contributor
  • DavidH
« Reply #7 on: July 12, 2018, 11:34:36 pm »
I borrowed Gordon's oscilloscope and he attacked me with a crowbar.

The following users thanked this post: Berni, Vgkid, blueskull, Ampera, JPortici, sd, BillB, InductorbackEMF

Offline tszaboo

• Super Contributor
  • Current job: ATEX product design
« Reply #8 on: July 13, 2018, 02:19:45 pm »
Out of all the problems that could potentially happen at CERN I suppose this is a pretty mild one.  ;D
Well, they didn't create a black hole today, which destroyed the solar system. It was a good day.

The following users thanked this post: JohnMc

Offline BillB

• Supporter
« Reply #9 on: July 13, 2018, 02:42:59 pm »
Well, they didn't create a black hole today, which destroyed the solar system. It was a good day.

Maybe they created a micro-sized black hole within the equipment locker that sucked in the DSO then evaporated?

Offline David Hess

• Super Contributor
  • DavidH
« Reply #10 on: July 13, 2018, 03:52:48 pm »

So far so good.

http://www.cyriak.co.uk/lhc/lhc-webcams.html

Offline SeanB

• Super Contributor
« Reply #11 on: July 13, 2018, 04:38:15 pm »
My tools almost always come with an accessory, me. I will very rarely let somebody use them, and for power tools that I actually care for, it pretty much is Buckley’s chance. About the only tools I am not worried about are the less than perfect hammers, as there is pretty much little aside from break them you can do, and I can fix that. Only one friend I have no worries with, as he generally is good at looking after them.

Builders no bleeding way, they treat every thing as one of 2 categories, either it is a chisel or prybar, or a hammer. Seeing what they have both at times, and the stuff is well used as well, even if it was bought that morning.

Multimeters no worry, I have some DT830's that are perfect for that, and I also include in the back, inside the case, a pack of replacement 3A15 fuses as well. Break them and no worry, I blew one up testing a neon sign transformer, as the battery was bad, the switch was wonky and the case was well worn.

Offline Bassman59

• Super Contributor
  • Yes, I do this for a living
« Reply #12 on: July 13, 2018, 05:10:45 pm »
I'm not sure about that. A black hole that sucks in the Earth and destroys it could be the universe teaching us a desperately-needed lesson.

Offline Roeland_R

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #13 on: July 13, 2018, 05:27:02 pm »
Perhaps a wormhole that transfers the DSO to Sydney for a tear down video.

Verstuurd vanaf mijn GT-P5210 met Tapatalk

Offline David Hess

• Super Contributor
  • DavidH
« Reply #14 on: July 13, 2018, 06:08:05 pm »
One of the benefits of using an HP48 (or HP50g now) calculator is that nobody will borrow it.

Sales Dude: "Hey, may I borrow your calculator?"
Me: "Sure, here." *hands over HP48*
Sales Dude: "... Um, no thanks."

I have a vernier caliper and manual transmission vehicle for the same reason.

Offline schmitt trigger

• Super Contributor
« Reply #15 on: July 13, 2018, 06:19:16 pm »
There are Youtube videos showing would-be car burglars abandoning a potential target because it had a manual transmission.

Something else that used to disappear from lab benches: Reference books. I lost my ITT Reference book for Radio Engineers that way.

Offline Mr. Scram

• Super Contributor
  • Display aficionado
« Reply #16 on: July 13, 2018, 06:28:42 pm »
One of the benefits of using an HP48 (or HP50g now) calculator is that nobody will borrow it.

Sales Dude: "Hey, may I borrow your calculator?"
Me: "Sure, here." *hands over HP48*
Sales Dude: "... Um, no thanks."

I have a vernier caliper and manual transmission vehicle for the same reason.
That last one only works stateside.

Offline GK

• Super Contributor
Bzzzzt. No longer care, over this forum shit.........ZZzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz

Offline radar_macgyver

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #18 on: July 14, 2018, 05:38:52 am »
Yes, there are people from OTHER TEAMS that will "borrow" your tools unless stated being private property, and in their mind, those are taxpayers' property and they have "right" to borrow without your consent.

I've had someone say this to me after my calipers went missing for the 100th time. My response: "no more than I have the right to 'borrow' a police car that I see on the side of the road"

The following users thanked this post: blueskull

Offline bd139

• Super Contributor
« Reply #19 on: July 14, 2018, 05:51:10 am »
It’s probably gone forever. When I worked in an MoD secure facility many years ago they had layered access control and security. Someone still hobbed it off with a rackmount HP system power supply. Due to the security being flawless at least from the perception perspective this always ended up in “who did you let into the room”. Just as I left the place they found one of the security guys, DV cleared no less, was bent as fuck.

Offline Mr. Scram

• Super Contributor
  • Display aficionado
« Reply #20 on: July 14, 2018, 06:40:37 am »
I guess this is a conCERN.

Yeah, I'll show myself out.

Offline TerraHertz

• Super Contributor
  • Why shouldn't we question everything?
    • It's not really a Blog
« Reply #21 on: July 14, 2018, 07:22:48 am »
I think CERN has bigger problems:

http://backreaction.blogspot.com/2018/03/the-multiworse-is-coming.html
http://backreaction.blogspot.com/2016/08/the-lhc-nightmare-scenario-has-come-true.html

I like her grit!  Bah Humbug!9000
Thanks for the pointer.

Re OP's photo - anyone who tears tape like that, doesn't deserve a nice scope.

Edit to add: some more on the Physics Stall:
https://aeon.co/essays/has-the-quest-for-top-down-unification-of-physics-stalled
 Going nowhere fast
After the success of the Standard Model, experiments have stopped answering to grand theories. Is particle physics in crisis?

https://www.weeklystandard.com/daniel-sarewitz/all-ye-need-to-know
More on Sabine Hossenfelder and 'what is science?'

As physicist Keith Olive tells Hossenfelder, “It’s certainly true that we expected susy at lower energy. It’s a big problem. There’s something in me that tells me that supersymmetry should be part of nature, though, as you say, there’s no evidence for it.”

The other possibility is that the theory is wrong. Hossenfelder jets around the world talking to physicists about the challenges facing the field, but few seem willing to seriously entertain this option. “It’s either me who’s the idiot,” writes Hossenfelder, “or a thousand people with their prizes and awards.”

And there’s a time-honored way for those thousand scientists to avoid coming to grips with the second possibility: Do more research. Build another, bigger, more expensive collider to look for even heavier particles to rescue beautiful susy. “I’m not sure which I find worse,” Hossenfelder writes, “scientists who believe in arguments from beauty or scientists who deliberately mislead the public about prospects of costly experiments.”

She has similar tales to tell about string theory and the quest to detect dark matter particles—which she hilariously summarizes in a list of 40 or so failed experiments with names like EDELWEISS, ROSEBUD, and PICASSO (not to mention IGEX, GEDEON, and XENON100). Her courageous if not always fully comprehensible effort to uncover not just the hidden assumptions but also group behavior behind theoretical physics forces the question of demarcation. “Someone needs to talk me out of my growing suspicion that theoretical physicists are collectively delusional, unable or unwilling to recognize their unscientific procedures.” If their procedures are “unscientific,” are they doing science?
« Last Edit: July 15, 2018, 10:13:30 am by TerraHertz »
Collecting old scopes, logic analyzers, and unfinished projects. http://everist.org

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf