Author Topic: Changing shape of disti land (in europe)  (Read 646 times)

Offline engineer_in_shortsTopic starter

• Regular Contributor
Changing shape of disti land (in europe)
« on: November 20, 2020, 10:53:03 am »
Hi,

Not sure how many folk have seen this.  TI has ended distribution agreement with Avnet/Farnell:
https://distributor.electronicspecifier.com/ti-ends-avnet-distribution-relationship/

I know my company (in UK) certainly buys quite a bit of small quantity stuff from Farnell.  Farnell in the UK has certainly been a good online all rounder.  Easy to search, good stock and lines, delivery is quick.  In my experience Mouser, Digi key have better stock but takes 3days delivery, RS does not have as many lines/stock and is not quite so easy to search but fast delivery.  But overall I think we all just search all 4 for typical parts.

Personally I find fast n cheap delivery useful as a developer, you just don't need to have boxes and boxes of parts, and plans can change quickly.

As the article above indicates, TI is quite a chunk of income for avnet group, does this signal the start of start of changes to distis in Europe?  Or is this more TI retreating? 

Online 2N3055

• Super Contributor
Re: Changing shape of disti land (in europe)
« Reply #1 on: November 20, 2020, 02:25:06 pm »
In continental EU, I already get stuff from Mouser Italy, and in pretty much same time frame as Farnell.
Farnell also opened large warehouse in France, and might start serving continental EU from there more and more.

As for TI and Avnet, I think it might be something else. Just few days ago I received email from TI that I can buy directly from TI Europe..
Even small quantities.. They also offer company credit lines...
So they might be trying to not having a need for distributors at all, or at least much less....

Online magic

• Super Contributor
« Reply #2 on: November 20, 2020, 04:47:46 pm »
Seems they drank the vertical integration kool-aid.
I could swear there was a thread about it already, they are cutting ties with distributors all over the place and contracting DigiKey (IIRC) to handle their small volume sales in the US, under TI brand.
Similar thing in Europe?

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #3 on: November 20, 2020, 05:10:20 pm »
Ah yes, i have re-read the PR and it seems more like TI want to be there own disti.....

Offline Benta

• Super Contributor
« Reply #4 on: November 20, 2020, 07:01:42 pm »
Erm, all this happened over a year ago.

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #5 on: November 20, 2020, 08:25:25 pm »
Erm, all this happened over a year ago.

ohhh yeeeaahh   :-[  :palm:

MODS: please delete this thread

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf